C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Any C32s out there with a Belt Wrap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Any C32s out there with a Belt Wrap?

I'm just not seeing any solid info on there, any of you guys have this setup? What was the result, power wise? My seal is leaking and my pulley is wobbling since the install so I need to go back and restinall new bolt and seal...was thinking to install one of these to have something to look forward to for that job.

Anyone here install one of these...would it be a waste of time? I typically do not beleive vendor claims on horsepower (I see them as 'top end possible' which I find it odd when folks reference vendor numbers as a source).

Last edited by testknight; 10-31-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: bad speller
Old 10-30-2009, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i already posted a review on teh pulley saver kit.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:55 PM

CLS55
Thanks...yeah I actually remembering reading that, great technical info there that I will certianly use...so you also had to buy a C3 alt. pulley?

I also didn't get a sense of weather or not you had power gains...sounds like you were happy...what did your butt dyno say?

Here is link for future searchers:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...it-review.html
Old 10-30-2009, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by testknight
Thanks...yeah I actually remembering reading that, great technical info there that I will certianly use...so you also had to buy a C3 alt. pulley?

I also didn't get a sense of weather or not you had power gains...sounds like you were happy...what did your butt dyno say?

Here is link for future searchers:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...it-review.html
no you dont have to buy it. You can just relocate the coolant lines...thats what i'm probably gonna do early next week.

I dont think there were any power gains. It just increased the relability of the idle pulleys. The idler pulleys especially if you mod with a crank or sc pulley go bad. Jurkel said his idler pulley was going bad after 6months of use with his EC 185. Mines still good, but my sc idle pulley was going bad after 6months as well.

But i also drive a lot. I've driven 40k in 2yrs.

just do a quick test. Loosen the serpentine belt and just spin the pulleys. The pulleys making noise when you spin should be replaced soon. You don't want the pulley exploding while driving.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:00 AM

CLS55
SO anyone with the Belt Wrap setup have any experiences to share? I was reading more that the pulley saver is something different I was curious if the belt wrap offers an hp at all.

Last edited by testknight; 10-31-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:00 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
all it-belt wrap-does is prevent belt from slipping if you have 180-185 pulley. it has nothing to do with gaining any HP.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:29 AM

CLS55
Hey Frank...thanks for input...my understanding is that if the belt is slipping that would impact boost levels. Most applications (cars) market belt wraps to reduce slippage and thus actually increase horsepower....of course in those cases it applies to smaller S/C pulles and not crank pullies (which is norm on our cars). Any sense if those of us running larger pulleys have any belt slip? Ahh, well maybe its not really an issue for the C32 platform....perhaps I shoudn't go down this route anyway. Shoot! Was hoping to pick up some ponies...

Last edited by testknight; 10-31-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: just realized there's a spell CHEKKER!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
can someone please tell me how do you know or feel that the belt is slipping? specially with 185mm crank pulley.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
with a code 3 pulley, the code3 belt wrap kit was good for about 7-10 whp or about .5psi increase.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Yes, you will get belt slip at higher RPM using the 185MM. You will see an increase in high end torque using a kit that creates more belt wrap. I personally went with the pulley saver kit from needswings, and couldn't be more satisfied. Belt wrap along with more reliable idler pulley setup.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by jturkel
with a code 3 pulley, the code3 belt wrap kit was good for about 7-10 whp or about .5psi increase.
When Brandon personally installed mine in Chicago last summer, he indicated that it increases the HP by "5-10". This is consistent with an increase inboost pressure (whether it be due to no slippage or a better run to the pulley?). My butt dyno says nothing, BUT Brandon swears there was an increase on the dyno runs he made. I have run mine for about 15 months now with no problems.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
you can see belt slippage by the black dust around the underside of the center piece or around the pulleys. as for hp increase it is more not a loss of hp rather than a gain.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:34 PM

CLS55
Hmmm...I might just do this anyway,....even if I only got 5 out of it across some of power band it would be worth it to me. Anyone here try the $25 belt wrap as seen on crossfire.org forum?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
you can see belt slippage by the black dust around the underside of the center piece or around the pulleys. as for hp increase it is more not a loss of hp rather than a gain.
actually, when i had my code3 belt wrap kit on my car with my code3 supercharger pulley, i STILL had this dust....and it was coming from one of the new pulleys in the belt wrap kit

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
When Brandon personally installed mine in Chicago last summer, he indicated that it increases the HP by "5-10". This is consistent with an increase inboost pressure (whether it be due to no slippage or a better run to the pulley?). My butt dyno says nothing, BUT Brandon swears there was an increase on the dyno runs he made. I have run mine for about 15 months now with no problems.
i actually DID feel an increase in the hp. it wasn't dramatic, but it was definitely there. i also compared through a racing a buddy and i picked up a little ground.

i also noticed the supercharger response increases and at times it seemed as if though the car shifted faster when WOT......call me crazy, but i could almost swear by it

Originally Posted by testknight
Hmmm...I might just do this anyway,....even if I only got 5 out of it across some of power band it would be worth it to me. Anyone here try the $25 belt wrap as seen on crossfire.org forum?
you are best off asking Waldig over on the srt6 forum. that guy knows his stuff better than just about anyone about the pulleys, being that he is the one who designed/invented the NW pulley saver kit.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossfire SRT6
I have the NW Pulley saver setup on my SRT6. I know that it has eliminated the belt slip I was having(181mm crank pulley) as I no longer have black rubber dust showing up. It's main purpose is the slowing down of the idlers by adding largers pulleys and adds a bracket to support the new pulley above the alternator. The bracket ties to an unused standoff and the lower idler pulley. It also give you a place to attach the vaccum line anchor when you remove the SC idler and bracket. Can you tell that I like it?

Oh yeah... with that and the NW Dual CAI I made it to 11.96 @ 113.9mph.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by MikeR
I have the NW Pulley saver setup on my SRT6. I know that it has eliminated the belt slip I was having(181mm crank pulley) as I no longer have black rubber dust showing up. It's main purpose is the slowing down of the idlers by adding largers pulleys and adds a bracket to support the new pulley above the alternator. The bracket ties to an unused standoff and the lower idler pulley. It also give you a place to attach the vaccum line anchor when you remove the SC idler and bracket. Can you tell that I like it?

Oh yeah... with that and the NW Dual CAI I made it to 11.96 @ 113.9mph.

Nice run Mike, BUT why is trap speed so down? Hot day???