Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Carbon Fiber

I know a lot of us here have the carbon fiber front lip spoiler, but what other carbon fiber exterior/interior modifications have people done? As of now I have a new front lip on the way after my first one shattered into a thousand pieces at 150MPH. Only had it on for a week...

Recently purchased the carbon fiber rear diffuser available on ebay. I've heard people debating this one saying it won't work, and doesn't fit. I test fit to the bumper already, and it looks very nice. The edges need to be pressed with some force to be flush with the bumper, so bolts will be required in that area.

For several months now I've had original Lorinser side skirts waiting to be installed. However, they need to be painted. Now I'm debating a carbon fiber overlay on the sides instead of painting. Of course it would be clear coated.

Thinking a carbon fiber rear truck spoiler would look nice, and match up good with the diffuser. Not sure if I like the roof spoilers at all... CF hood would be awesome, but it's too expensive for now. Did find one on ebay that has vents on the hood, and looked impressive.

There's other stuff I would want to do with carbon fiber overlay, but I don't know a good provider of quality material. Anyone have opinions on a carbon fiber overlay for the impact strips around the entire vehicle? I've considered it...
Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 16v turbo, 02 c32
Use that 3m dynok stuff.... it would look b/a
Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're talking about 3M's Di-NOC carbon fiber? The quality looks good, but the price is a little high. Definitely one to consider. Wouldn't mind spending extra for higher quality...
Old 07-08-2010, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Most carbon fiber trim is an overlay on an original part. I recently purchased a set myself from a local member and there were some parts that were not exactly perfect. Well, I was doing a bit of research and I found out how they did the carbon fiber part. I do have real carbon fiber but it's just an over lay. I guess it's similar to how they do the front lips on our cars. The carbon fiber wrap would be cheaper and possibly easier, but I don't think you will get a gloss finish.

If you buy it prefabbed, it will cost you close to 1500, but I bet it will be absolutely perfect. Here are a couple of links:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...10-pieces.html

http://www.mp-des********/

Check out this video on how to do a carbon fiber over lay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rTWaV1imzs

Here's a video of how to make your own carbon fiber parts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdVO8Rkv6c

Here's a pic of what my interior looks like:
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
That was a post I made in a thread a while ago, but I thought it applied well to your question.

One part I really would like to get in carbon fiber would be the window post/pillars. Apparently they are stick on parts from the factory, but I might be wrong. If they are, it would be awesome to make a real carbon fiber piece rather than an overlay. I would make a mold and then make it, but it seems like quite a bit of work.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your carbon fiber dash looks very nice! Seems I'm thinking all exterior right now, but interior is planned down the road... I'm kind of worried about the lifespan listed on 3M's site. Four years... Does the stuff start to fade out? Wouldn't a good clear coat give it a glossy finish, and extend lifespan?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by gt4awd
Your carbon fiber dash looks very nice! Seems I'm thinking all exterior right now, but interior is planned down the road... I'm kind of worried about the lifespan listed on 3M's site. Four years... Does the stuff start to fade out? Wouldn't a good clear coat give it a glossy finish, and extend lifespan?
I do not have experience with the stuff, but I would imagine it should work. I would test it on some thing small first.

The issue I have heard with the 3M stuff is that with the heat it starts to separate from the part you put it on. So I wonder if it would start to bubble after you clear it.

If you check out the videos I posted you could get an idea of how to do the real thing.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by gt4awd
As of now I have a new front lip on the way after my first one shattered into a thousand pieces at 150MPH. Only had it on for a week...

Recently purchased the carbon fiber rear diffuser available on ebay. I've heard people debating this one saying it won't work, and doesn't fit. I test fit to the bumper already, and it looks very nice. The edges need to be pressed with some force to be flush with the bumper, so bolts will be required in that area.

I took my cf front lip to 160+...on a video game...grand turismo 5...in mexico...and it didn't rip off/shatter. I put on 2 layers of 3m tape and used all the bolts included. The bottom is scratched to hell from my drive way and the front has a scuff mark from hitting a parking lot divider but other than that, its holding up just fine.

Can we see pics of the installed rear diffuser? Is it the two fin one?
Old 07-10-2010, 03:31 AM

pick up
You did a nice job man. It's nice that you tried it even many people said that it won't work. lol
Old 07-10-2010, 06:45 PM

HPF E46 M3 Turbo, LET C32 AMG
I used to be somewhat good at doing overlay stuff by hand (with paint brushes and resin).

here's some stuff ive made (mostly Audi stuff):

Last edited by SETSEROCK; 07-10-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
wow very impressive.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by SETSEROCK
I used to be somewhat good at doing overlay stuff by hand (with paint brushes and resin).

here's some stuff ive made (mostly Audi stuff):

lol, your thread on audizine covering your work is what made me buy the CF starters kit. Thanks and Great Work!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 PM

^^^did you have an Audi?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Nope, just researching CF and came across your thread...
Old 07-10-2010, 09:56 PM

Loudandheard, what is the deal with your steering wheel?? That thing is insane!!! What/where is it from?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Loudandheard, what is the deal with your steering wheel?? That thing is insane!!! What/where is it from?
I got it from a fellow member, but I think he got it from a group buy on the forum.

I think this is the same sponsor, but not sure:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...arbon-set.html

Check out this thread as well:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...heel-sale.html

Last edited by loudandheard; 07-10-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 PM

W204 C350 4matic Coupe, W203 C320 4matic, W212 E550 4matic
I actually have some CF texalium fabric that I plan on wrapping my interior trims with,
but I have no idea how to take the trims off! =((
and I cant find a DIY, does anybody have a link, or could teach me? =)

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I took my cf front lip to 160+...on a video game...grand turismo 5...in mexico...and it didn't rip off/shatter. I put on 2 layers of 3m tape and used all the bolts included. The bottom is scratched to hell from my drive way and the front has a scuff mark from hitting a parking lot divider but other than that, its holding up just fine.
I had installed it with three bolts on each side where the wheel well covers are, and a single strip of 3M tape to support the center section. Assuming the 3M strip wasn't enough, and gave out at 150MPH... This new one I will install using bolts to support the center section also.
Can we see pics of the installed rear diffuser? Is it the two fin one?
Once it is installed I will post some photographs. It's the two fin single exhaust.
I used to be somewhat good at doing overlay stuff by hand (with paint brushes and resin)
Nice work there.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by I_C_Class
I actually have some CF texalium fabric that I plan on wrapping my interior trims with,
but I have no idea how to take the trims off! =((
and I cant find a DIY, does anybody have a link, or could teach me? =)

Thanks!
It's fairly easy. You will need to take off the door panels. You can use my thread for reference: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...l-removal.html

Once you have the door panels off, you will notice on the back side of the door panel directly behind the panels the trim pieces are held in with plastic studs and metal retainer clips. All you have to do is pull off the retainer clips and the trim piece just comes right off. All the doors are basically the same.

For the center console, you will need to use the radio removal thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...tructions.html

The radio removal thread will let you take out the center trim piece. The ash tray will come out by pulling up on the trim piece below the shifter and once you have it up a bit, you can move the clips on the bottom of the ashtray piece and then just pull it out. Once you have the ash tray out you will be able to take out the center console easier. At the very bottom of the center trim piece you will notice metal clips. All you need to do is slide them towards you and the piece will come right out.

As for the bottom piece, you will need to take off the shifter. Here is a thread for that as well.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...b-install.html

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 PM

W204 C350 4matic Coupe, W203 C320 4matic, W212 E550 4matic
Oh wow, Thanks a lot! that definitely give me a lead to where to start haha
Old 07-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by I_C_Class
Oh wow, Thanks a lot! that definitely give me a lead to where to start haha
What is it that you are doing/using?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
I think he's going to wrap his interior trim pieces in real carbon fiber
Old 07-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K

Has there been any problems with the pieces you did in your engine bay? Has the CF turned yellow or any problems from the heat? Did you use "High Temp" epoxy?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by dynomite05
Has there been any problems with the pieces you did in your engine bay? Has the CF turned yellow or any problems from the heat? Did you use "High Temp" epoxy?
I sold that car sometime about a year ago (3 cars back). never had any issue with fading. the only issue is to just be VERY carful mixing the resin, as to avoid air bubbles...
Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I sold that car sometime about a year ago (3 cars back). never had any issue with fading. the only issue is to just be VERY carful mixing the resin, as to avoid air bubbles...
I was told to "stir" not "mix" the resin. Does that sound correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber