Do we have a supercharger sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Do we have a supercharger sensor?

I was reading on C32LIFE.com and it mentioned some thing about our cars having a supercharger sensor and I think we have one. Can anyone confirm this?

Here is an excerpt:

I bought it yesterday and on the test drive already I could tell something was way wrong. Bogged off the line... no chance for wheel spin even with ESP off/air off/ S mode. Then seemed to fail completely about 1/2 the time as redline approached... like the engine was just kind of spinning slow and not connected to the tranny. I did a 0-60 of 7.5 and 7.6 in the same place in both directions. I told the salesman that this is NOT the fastest Benz sedan ever produced.

The service bill was for $261 (warranty), $11 in parts for fix of wiring to supercharger cooling pump that had a short. Very simple fix they said.

Not to worry. The previous problem was a bad supercharger sensor. Quick fix - one day assuming they have the part. Nothing major or mechanical. It seems that there must be a bad lot of them, which is causing some rough running. They are likely passing the plant inspection and going bad on the ride over.

The car is back and is FAST. The dealer was great in keeping me informed, finding the problem and fixing it. OK...I gave them DW's post to get them going in the right direction.

It sounds like it was exactly the same problem he had. Supercharger intercooler switch was shorting.

Hey DW... do you know your cars production date ?
Mine was 7/13/01... maybe they had a bad day.

Get on the freeway, nail it and hold it down till you hit 100MPH (make sure you ran the car for aprx 15min 1st). Repeat a few times. If the car loses power, doesn't kick down, feels sluggish then you may have the problem. I replicated the problem at 50mph too.
Here ishttp://c32life.com/ a link and it's under the FAQ
Old 08-14-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I was reading on C32LIFE.com and it mentioned some thing about our cars having a supercharger sensor and I think we have one. Can anyone confirm this?
No, so supercharger sensor. It sounds like they were discovering the now known and understood intercooler water pump failures.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
they may be referring to the iat sensor located in the mani y pipe. if the ecu senses high iat's thru the sensor it will shut down the s/c
Old 08-14-2010, 03:37 PM

His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
I would hope you guys have a boost sensor on those cars... :/
Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 PM

03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
AIT sensor is on the Y pipe
MAP sensor is on the intercooler
Old 08-15-2010, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
if either of those failed and did shut down the supercharger...would it set a code?

because I have already replaced my intercooler with the Johnson CM30, but I am having similar problems to these...

but there is no code, and there was one when the intercooler pump went out
Old 08-15-2010, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Are there multiple things that cause the supercharger to shutdown. The only thing I have ever gotten is heat causes it to shutdown.

So would the ait and map sensors being faulty cause the supercharger to shutdown?
Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
not sure if this is a sensor, but possibly related.

when i had dynocomp experiment with putting an on/off switch for my supercharger, we were having a little bit of problems.

(excuse my lack of electrical knowledge/terminology): they tapped some wire/circuit coming off near the supercharger and did something with a fuse so i could turn the supercharger on and off from inside the car.

however, when i tried using it, the supercharger would rarely engage and i was getting codes from the electromagnetic clutch. This is because the ECU was not seeing a completed circuit in the SC system...since the SC control with the ECU was looped out.

i stopped experimenting, but they believe that if they put in, say, a light, in the circuit that goes to the ECU that controls the clutch, then the ECU will see a "complete" circuit.

hope that helps. if not, sorry for the post
Old 08-15-2010, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
ot but josh did you pick a school yet? vandy?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
ot but josh did you pick a school yet? vandy?
i'm at baylor college of medicine in houston. loving it, minus all the work. i have a test on tuesday and in two weeks, already 50 something pages of notes on histology (worst subject ever), anatomy (so much stuff to know but soo interesting....look up "how to draw the brachial plexus in 5 minutes"...i have to do that (though not in five minutes) and identify any given branch etc on actual cadavers), biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, embryology, and radiology.....FML lol
Old 08-16-2010, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by jturkel
i'm at baylor college of medicine in houston. loving it, minus all the work. i have a test on tuesday and in two weeks, already 50 something pages of notes on histology (worst subject ever), anatomy (so much stuff to know but soo interesting....look up "how to draw the brachial plexus in 5 minutes"...i have to do that (though not in five minutes) and identify any given branch etc on actual cadavers), biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, embryology, and radiology.....FML lol
So you're finally in Houston, how is every thing going so far? I can't believe you already have a test, my classes haven't even started. Let me know if you need any info on any thing, I've been almost every where because of my alcohol promos.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by loudandheard
So you're finally in Houston, how is every thing going so far? I can't believe you already have a test, my classes haven't even started. Let me know if you need any info on any thing, I've been almost every where because of my alcohol promos.
everything is going fine...except the roads here really suck....they've thrown off my alignment (had to get it realigned), claimed my driver side fog light mesh AND fog light (cracker with glass) [those first two i was unaware of until recently], and furthermore, in my delirium, i side swiped a pole in my parking garage, making three nice marks (with an indentation or two) on my driver's side door that i now need to get fixed. to say the least, i'm absolutely embarrassed to drive the car right now....granted, i do take the metroline every day to the hermann memorial/houston zoo stop from the smitihlands stop

i may need someone to fix that soon. and yah, i could possibly use the names of some places. i've been hanging mostly near rice village, though ventured out to washington ave (i think) two weekends ago

where are you going to school again?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by jturkel
everything is going fine...except the roads here really suck....they've thrown off my alignment (had to get it realigned), claimed my driver side fog light mesh AND fog light (cracker with glass) [those first two i was unaware of until recently], and furthermore, in my delirium, i side swiped a pole in my parking garage, making three nice marks (with an indentation or two) on my driver's side door that i now need to get fixed. to say the least, i'm absolutely embarrassed to drive the car right now....granted, i do take the metroline every day to the hermann memorial/houston zoo stop from the smitihlands stop

i may need someone to fix that soon. and yah, i could possibly use the names of some places. i've been hanging mostly near rice village, though ventured out to washington ave (i think) two weekends ago

where are you going to school again?
I'm finishing up some CPA requirements at my lonestar community college, but next semester I am hoping to finish my last class at the University of St. Thomas. I walked and had a party and all, but I still needed one class. So technically, I do not have a degree.

How bad is the car, you can PM some pics and I can see if my dad can dad can do any thing about it. He does paint and body and maybe I can get him to help you out.

Yeah, the roads are rough around here, but especially in the area that you're staying in. That's one thing about Houston that sucks.