Screaming noise from engine area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG, CL500, Jag StypeR, SLK200, Aygo, Audi TT
Screaming noise from engine area

Guys & Gals,

I have a 1995 C36 AMG which was running perfect with 140K on the clock until this morning. Its now making a loud screaming noise from teh engine bay when I accelerate. When im not accelerating all is fine - no scream but as soon as I push that pedel - the engine bay makes a loud scream - if your looking at the engine bay from the front of the car the noise is coming from teh RIGHT hand side.

Any ideas anyone? Any help would be great!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:02 AM

I have a similar scenario with my C43. However I have a HPS supercharger and have always thought that the noise has been a result of the s/c. The noise my car makes only happens on heavy acceleration and usually in the upper RPM band. It is somewhat intermittent and can be described as something between a chirping and screaming noise. My immediate speculation is that is the motor mounts are worn out (primarily due to the excessive torque with the s/c) and that this is allowing the engine to move around slightly and consequently a belt or other engine part might be rubbing on another part of the engine. I have convinced myself that this is what's happening because it only occurs under high torque/acceleration. However this is just conjecture and it could be a plethora of other things, just my initial thoughts.

I have already purchased new motor mounts for a 1999 E55 (apparently much stronger than C43 mounts) and will have them installed within the next two weeks. I'll keep you posted if this solves the problem and if so you might want to replace your mounts as well.

Does your noise occur under slight throttle application or only when you gun it?

Any ideas or recommendations from anyone else on here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:37 AM

Red face

Hi mate - thanks for your reply

well mine does it under heavy accelration AND gentle tapping \ accelerating. Ive noticed it to be internitant now too. I fired up the car again later today and the noise was gone. By the time I had done about 40 miles it was back again constantly. Weird. As far as im aware it hasnt had any further modding to the car - just the standard C36 stuff. In a funny sort of way it also sounds like escaping air of soem sort. very odd. Keep my posted on that engine mount business mate - cheers
Old 07-09-2005, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
I've no experience specifically with the C36, but the noise you describe sounds to me like it could be an exhaust manifold leak. Exhaust pressure is greater when accelerating, and the leak would be affected by temperature making it go away after a cool off and come back when hot again.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:12 AM

Red face

Hi all,

Well the problem was a badly split V-POLY belt - £100 later and all is well!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
Originally Posted by shanusanus
Hi all,

I was guessing belt and I guess I was right. How are you enjoying your car? I miss my C36.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
Hi all,

Glad to hear that it wasn't too serious. Please tell me that wasn't the original belt with that kind of mileage! Those things don't last forever! Glad all is now well
Old 07-13-2005, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Hi mate - thanks for your reply

well mine does it under heavy accelration AND gentle tapping \ accelerating. Ive noticed it to be internitant now too.

Hmmm . . . . . . I get that same sound under similar circumstances. The only difference is it comes from the passenger seat whenever anyone rides along on track days.