can't believe this sh*t

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
can't believe this sh*t

I was driving along yesterday, stopped in a merging lane waiting for traffic to clear. Just about to roll onto the throttle, and a Dodge Dakota pick up truck rear ends us!

WTF! Bumper skin at the top is cracked, trunk is dented in.

What a complete pain. As some may recall, I just had the whole car painted in May. And one of the major reasons for painting it was to have my car nice and shiny for my wedding - this coming weekend! Argh.

Car is still driveable, and I think we will still use it for the wedding - just need more decorations at the rear! All that effort in May to paint the car and now this. Idiot driver said he didn't see me. I don't know how you can't see a black car in broad daylight that's directly in front of you.

And to top it off, I was pretty irritable already because a) our wedding event coordinator completely missed our meeting on Saturday morning (again, I don't know how she can miss a meeting which she scheduled with us, like six weeks ago), and b) a hair stylist who my fiancee booked, but then decided not to use, didn't want to refund her $200 deposit. Says he just wants to give her a giftcard instead. The greasy **** doesn't know I'm a lawyer. I will sue him if need be. And c) my back is sore too. F*CK!

Getting another trunklid should be fine, and they can probably fix the bumper. Getting a new bumper skin is probably next to impossible though, or very expensive. Not really my problem though, but I imagine if a new one is going to be ordered, it will take quite some time to arrive.
Attached Thumbnails can't believe this sh*t-accident1.jpg   can't believe this sh*t-accident2.jpg   can't believe this sh*t-accident3.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
sorry to read what happened to you!
a freshly painted car and now damaged, fu--!

maybe the person who hit you was putting on mascara on their eyes?
didn't see you!

the same **** happened to me after owning my car for 3 months!
I was hit by a jerkoff heroin junkie driver!
it's dangerous out there in the traffic!

I hope the driver pays for your damages.
getting rearended, car needs to get up on a fixed jig to get measured if it's crooked or straight!

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 08-23-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Sorry to hear about this. The timing is doubly unfortunate. There are two $50 absorbers that sit behind the $185 impact bar, which sits under the rear bumper skin. The rear bumper skin for a 1999 C43 without parktronic has a list of $374. With parktronic is $390. That's why body shops say they can't give a price until after they take the bumper cover off. The trunk lid is $525. Natch, these are plus paint, plus installation, and US prices. No telling what Canada pricing is.

Lastly, congrats on the upcoming wedding.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 c43-sold, 05 Audi A4 avant
Sorry to hear. Thank goodness it was relatively slow speed. your car looks fixable, and sounds like little to no injuries for passengers? I feel the back pain. I went to physical therapy to help after my accident.

I had an idiot rear end my C36 and total it last October. I was stopped in traffic, and I do not even remember brakes lock up behind me until after I was hit. He was doing approx 25-30mph in a full size Chevy Silverado pickup truck. I got pushed into vehicle in front of me. Lots of damage, the estimate was $16k to repair car.

Almost forgot, good luck/congrats on the wedding.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all i can say is: CHA-CHING!

but in all seriousness, i'm glad it wasn't anything major. hope no lasting effects will befall you, and that the wedding goes as planned!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
...Idiot driver said he didn't see me. I don't know how you can't see a black car in broad daylight that's directly in front of you...
He's probably an Oilers fan - they aren't the sharpest pencils in the pencil case

Seriously though, bad luck, glad no one was badly injured and have a great wedding, I here the weather is still fantastic back there now. Congrats!

Last edited by Kevwood; 08-24-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for everyone's comments and sympathies. Sigh. Not much I can do about it at the moment. I was so looking forward to giving the car its first wax this week in preparation of the wedding on Saturday. Now it's just going to **** me off each time I look at the trunk.

Estimate from a shop close to our home shows price of trunk lid at C$659 and rear bumper cover at C$1,264. Ouch. Much more than Marcus' quotes. What a tremendous waste of time. I think I will try and save the broken rear bumper, try and sell it on later perhaps. I'm also going to get a quote from another shop, it's across town but they are The Place in town for high end European cars. More comfortable with them.

I'm not really hurt though my neck and back were sore yesterday, plus some headaches and slight nausea. My 16 year old cousin who was up front wasn't hurt, but my aunt in the right rear had pre-existing neck and shoulder issues, so I'll have to figure that out at some point.

Kev - yeah, the other guy was probably an Oilers fan, but we are talking about Oil Country here, everyone is an Oilers fan! Need we go into the comparison of the number of Stanley Cups won in Edmonton versus the number won in Calgary? That plus we have Taylor Hall this coming year. We are looking good for the future! It's a bit chillier than I'd like it, but I'm just hoping for sunshine on Saturday, and lots of it.

Not what I needed to be in a positive frame of mind for Saturday, but I will focus on that instead of being pissed off at having a dented up AMG.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Kev - yeah, the other guy was probably an Oilers fan, but we are talking about Oil Country here, everyone is an Oilers fan! Need we go into the comparison of the number of Stanley Cups won in Edmonton versus the number won in Calgary? That plus we have Taylor Hall this coming year. We are looking good for the future! It's a bit chillier than I'd like it, but I'm just hoping for sunshine on Saturday, and lots of it.
Damn I miss living in Canada for this very reason, BOA! I was living in Edmonton for 6 years before moving to Dubai (I'm from Calgary but all my friends & relatives including the parents are from Edmonton).

The sun will be there on Saturday pal - you two have a great day! Congrats again!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
Sorry to read about your unfortunate situation. I hope things turn out for the better.

Re: your wedding, I wish you & your future wife well.

@kevwood: as Saaboteur said, we are all Oilers fan, we all came from the same province and oil is what makes Alberta stands out from the rest of the other provinces. Edmonton may not have the red mile, but it does have the
Stanley cup associated to its name.

Saaboteur, I apologise for getting off topic.

Thanks for everyone's comments and sympathies. Sigh. Not much I can do about it at the moment. I was so looking forward to giving the car its first wax this week in preparation of the wedding on Saturday. Now it's just going to **** me off each time I look at the trunk.

Estimate from a shop close to our home shows price of trunk lid at C$659 and rear bumper cover at C$1,264. Ouch. Much more than Marcus' quotes. What a tremendous waste of time. I think I will try and save the broken rear bumper, try and sell it on later perhaps. I'm also going to get a quote from another shop, it's across town but they are The Place in town for high end European cars. More comfortable with them.

I'm not really hurt though my neck and back were sore yesterday, plus some headaches and slight nausea. My 16 year old cousin who was up front wasn't hurt, but my aunt in the right rear had pre-existing neck and shoulder issues, so I'll have to figure that out at some point.

Not what I needed to be in a positive frame of mind for Saturday, but I will focus on that instead of being pissed off at having a dented up AMG.

Last edited by ob1kenobi; 08-24-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ob1kenobi
@kevwood: as Saaboteur said, we are all Oilers fan, we all came from the same province and oil is what makes Alberta stands out from the rest of the other provinces. Edmonton may not have the red mile, but it does have the
Stanley cup associated to its name.
LOL, you guys are making me feel right at home again! I'm feeling a little bad for having fun on a bad news thread though.

Okay, okay, 5 cups versus 1, back when Regan was running the place you guys rocked! I'm definately NOT going to ask who swept the BOA last year nor would I EVER think about asking who was on the good side of the 57-15 win on the turf last week...

Okay, I'm done! I'll be in touch with both you guys later I'm sure. Thanks for the chuckles on yet another blistering hot night here in the desert.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:43 AM

1998 Black Opal C43
Sorry to hear about this. Probably heard this a thousand times but you gotta look on the bright side. At least you can make it to the wedding. Both your car and yourself.

Speaking of getting rear ended, I was driving on the freeway to work a couple of weeks ago and a C63 zipped passed me. 5 minutes later it was on the side and rear ended pretty badly. I bet he had to have that thing towed. Looked brand new and still had paper plates....
Old 08-24-2010, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Murphy's Law! As soon as she gets painted! Unbelievable! There are so many inconsiderate idiotic teenagers/adults texting, eating, playing with the stereo/ipod etc. on the road these days it scares me whilist pissing me off to no end. I think texting while driving should be enforced as a DUI would! Anyhow, the most important thing is that no one is sitting in a hospital bed right now and also the fact that you will still be able to enjoy the wedding! Congrats man! Keep us posted on the repairs .
Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
I'm so sorry to hear about your C43 It looked SOOOOOOO good after the paint job. As long as your frame isn't tweaked (which looking at the damage I betting its not) you should be able to get her looking good as new. As far as using her in the wedding don't let it stop you, just FILL the back bumper with flowers and other decorations and no one will ever know. Sorry about your car but CONGRATS on the upcoming nuptials
Old 08-27-2010, 01:20 AM

2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:48 PM

98 c43-sold, 05 Audi A4 avant
Originally Posted by eddie_b
Sorry to hear. Thank goodness it was relatively slow speed. your car looks fixable, and sounds like little to no injuries for passengers? I feel the back pain. I went to physical therapy to help after my accident.

I had an idiot rear end my C36 and total it last October. I was stopped in traffic, and I do not even remember brakes lock up behind me until after I was hit. He was doing approx 25-30mph in a full size Chevy Silverado pickup truck. I got pushed into vehicle in front of me. Lots of damage, the estimate was $16k to repair car.

Almost forgot, good luck/congrats on the wedding.

I forgot to mention my car was also black.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...other-day.html

Last edited by eddie_b; 08-28-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I don't have the car back yet (hopefully next week) but yesterday we did get some of our wedding photos back from our photographer!

Here is a lovely shot of us and the AMG. The building behind us is the Alberta Legislature Building (and they always fly the Union Jack on that corner of the building, to signify our connection to the Old World).
Attached Thumbnails can't believe this sh*t-163732_2121.jpg  
Old 10-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Well, I don't have the car back yet (hopefully next week) but yesterday we did get some of our wedding photos back from our photographer!

Here is a lovely shot of us and the AMG. The building behind us is the Alberta Legislature Building (and they always fly the Union Jack on that corner of the building, to signify our connection to the Old World).
congratulation on your wedding.
i hope you get many kids and they all will drive amg's in the future.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)

Great! My best wishes to you both and I hope your wife understands that sometimes a C43 (and other nice cars) may be more important that other female related goodies, but seeing you are both bent over and tied and reaching out to each other behind a Star, so much the better
Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance

What a great shot with the MB star in the foreground... Congrats on the wedding, photo looks great
Old 10-07-2010, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
congrats on ur wedding.. hope the flowers didn't scratch up the paint too much like my friend's car

Originally Posted by appatula
Murphy's Law! As soon as she gets painted! Unbelievable!
sooooo true. i still have a massive softball sized scar on the left side of my volvo's rear bumper from 1998 two weeks right after i painted the rear bumper, some fellow idiot volvo parked too close to me and decided to play bumper cars while exiting. naturally, his bumper is rubber and mine is painted. go figure.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
damn sorry to hear that but I am glad everyone is fine and your wedding still going through!
I get married in may 2011 hopefully no ********** hits me from here to then, I dont drive an amg but I love my C
Old 10-07-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by 97W202
I get married in may 2011
Wish you well. I have been through that procees twice and split twice. Has cost me a fortune to date and will continue for some years more. I prefer a non legal binding relationship... It's less of a hassle IMO, but that just for me
Old 10-07-2010, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Wish you well. I have been through that procees twice and split twice. Has cost me a fortune to date and will continue for some years more. I prefer a non legal binding relationship... It's less of a hassle IMO, but that just for me
Sorry to hear about that. It is definitely an aggravating process - I know because without divorces, I'd be finding other things to occupy my day (I'm a lawyer) Most of my practice nowadays involves family law. It definitely makes me appreciate my home life so much more. In your case, sounds like you could still use a 'cohabitation agreement' to clearly outline what's what!

Thanks again to everyone's well wishes!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Picked up the car this morning, and got rid of the hopeless tin box Sentra rental car! I actually barely drove the rental, put only 200 odd km on it, but this time of year, you never know when snow comes, so I wanted it available in case it did snow. I managed to drive my S2000 most of the time, and while my wife would have been driving the AMG, she made do with her old Civic. Now we are on the cusp of purchasing another vehicle for her, a Land Rover LR3, so bye-bye Civic.

Once I get the supercharger kit onto my S2000, I can then honestly say that I won't get out of bed for anything less than 300hp!

Anyway, back to the AMG - I will post pictures later, but fundamentally it looks like a normal C43 again! Brand new badges, and should have a new trunk and bumper skin. I don't know what else they replaced, as I haven't seen the write-up yet. The estimate was over $5g though. My friend who works at the shop that did the work told me they basically repainted the entire rear end, right up to the rear window 'frame', as would be required to blend everything.

I like my shiny new badges, and now I can't fathom debadging anytime soon...

Next...coolant flush and replacement of all or nearly all hoses, then I can throw the suspension pieces on. Hopefully before it snows....