C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 C43 whining noise steering wheel (Video)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 07:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by AMGzee
Yeah will do, weird how the noise was gone for the first week then came back even worse than before... Mercedes will call me sometime next week to book the car in again. I decided to also leave the off-centre steering wheel to fix for them as well... Hopefully they can fix it!
My buddy who got a 2019 GLE 43 AMG also having random problems... Disappointed in Mercedes, feel like their quality has gone down, love the design and styling of them but wish they lasted as what the price they cost is like!
Hmmm yikes, I hope both yours and your buddy's car gets fixed soon.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

GLE is a higher tier too, I am curious what those little problems are, if you feel like sharing : )? Either way, I agree it is unacceptable, for a brand that prides themselves :The best or nothing" but... oh well....
Old 05-24-2021, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
GLE is a higher tier too, I am curious what those little problems are, if you feel like sharing : )? Either way, I agree it is unacceptable, for a brand that prides themselves :The best or nothing" but... oh well....
It was rattling in cabin and some transmission shift problems. But yeah GLE higher than C class.. I just feel like the cars made outside of Germany have more problems, not sure if its the workers when assembly taking less pride in workmanship or what, but thats just something I feel. My 2007 C class built in Germany up until I sold it last year has Zero rattles, this new C43 has still a few rattles - especially the moonroof!... I am debating next year if I can find a 2019 or up and trade for that one C43, I like the updated steering wheel, wider screen and the new transmission in that one, they say its more smoother shift in 2 3 gears.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

It was rattling in cabin and some transmission shift problems. But yeah GLE higher than C class.. I just feel like the cars made outside of Germany have more problems, not sure if its the workers when assembly taking less pride in workmanship or what, but thats just something I feel. My 2007 C class built in Germany up until I sold it last year has Zero rattles, this new C43 has still a few rattles - especially the moonroof!... I am debating next year if I can find a 2019 or up and trade for that one C43, I like the updated steering wheel, wider screen and the new transmission in that one, they say its more smoother shift in 2 3 gears.
I see, ya that stinks that the GLE has all those problems as well. Thanks for sharing and I do wish your friend luck in getting it all fixed.

As for getting the facelift C43, it depends really. The pre-facelift and face-lift although shares the same name does have its differences and a set of pros and cons. Some prefer the design of the pfl others prefer the design of the fl (I am the few that prefers the pfl design). The exhaust note also changed between fl and pfl (I personally prefer the exhaust note of the pfl). The exhaust note also changed over the years on the pfl via software updates (but the tone is same, just the sound is slightly more quiet for every update on the pfl). Member @anb posted an awesome comparison on his youtube channel comparing the sound of pfl and facelift. Please keep in mind though, depending on where you are, fl may or may not have the opf filter on top of the sound regulations (which the EU is infamous for) It is cheaper for MB to make one exhaust for the restricted countries and the rest of the world than making two. North American cars, afaik, don't have the opf filter and should sound louder but it was initially designed to be quieter still as it is pretty much the same exhaust used across the globe.

Key changes I noticed on the facelift:
1. Rear-cross traffic alert in which when you backup the vehicle from a parking lot, it will warn you if a car is passing by
2. Blind spot works at much lower speeds, whereas the pfl only activates at speeds of 20-30 km+
3. 84 individual LEDs (if you look closely, it actually says that inside the light) for the adaptive highbeam assist plus (which by the way is disabled in North America due to regulations, we only have highbeam assist not the plus in which it turns off when opposite traffic is in the field of view and then turn on when we clear them. As for the plus, it turns off individual LEDs that blind the driver on the opposite direction but keep the rest of the high beam on) if you have the fully loaded lights
4. Functional front bumper vents to cool the brakes
5. Raised lip on the wheels to improve aerodynamics
6. More horsepower 362 vs 385 (advertised) but same amount of torque.
7. More comfortable suspension due to the adjustments made to the damping.
8. As you mentioned, less jerky transmission on first gear and second. However, pfl downshifts to gear 2 in comfort mode and facelift downshifts to gear 1
9. Full digital driver display (if you optioned that)
10. Brighter rear tailights (it seems) but a different design
11. Obvious changes of the grille and front bumper
12. Obvious changes of the exhaust pipe design and the lower part such as the diffuser
13. The new steering wheel
14. The wider infotainment screen
15. Maybe they raised the volume of the pumped in audio as it is even more noticeable on the facelift
16. Better cooling? I noticed the normal operating temperature of the facelift is lower than the pfl
17. More sensitive radar sensors? (the sensitivity can finally be adjusted in the infotainment)
18. Updated versions of COMAND for the infotainment (it now has COMAND NTG5.5)
19. 64 ambient colour options compared to the 3 on the pfl
20. MY20+ only, optional AMG Drive Unit
I will add to this list if I can recall other things.
As for the pros and cons of the prefacelift (I am sure you know since you have one)

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 05-25-2021 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Corrections made
The following 2 users liked this post by W205C43PFL:
AMGzee (05-26-2021), zibby43 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 01:02 AM

2017 C43 AMG
Talking

I see, ya that stinks that the GLE has all those problems as well. Thanks for sharing and I do wish your friend luck in getting it all fixed.

As for getting the facelift C43, it depends really. The pre-facelift and face-lift although shares the same name does have its differences and a set of pros and cons. Some prefer the design of the pfl others prefer the design of the fl (I am the few that prefers the pfl design). The exhaust note also changed between fl and pfl (I personally prefer the exhaust note of the pfl). The exhaust note also changed over the years on the pfl via software updates (but the tone is same, just the sound is slightly more quiet for every update on the pfl). Member @anb posted an awesome comparison on his youtube channel comparing the sound of pfl and facelift. Please keep in mind though, depending on where you are, fl may or may not have the opf filter on top of the sound regulations (which the EU is infamous for) It is cheaper for MB to make one exhaust for the restricted countries and the rest of the world than making two. North American cars, afaik, don't have the opf filter and should sound louder but it was initially designed to be quieter still as it is pretty much the same exhaust used across the globe.

Key changes I noticed on the facelift:
1. Rear-cross traffic alert in which when you backup the vehicle from a parking lot, it will warn you if a car is passing by
2. Blind spot works at much lower speeds, whereas the pfl only activates at speeds of 20-30 km+
3. 84 individual LEDs (if you look closely, it actually says that inside the light) for the adaptive highbeam assist plus (which by the way is disabled in North America due to regulations, we only have highbeam assist not the plus in which it turns off when opposite traffic is in the field of view and then turn on when we clear them. As for the plus, it turns off individual LEDs that blind the driver on the opposite direction but keep the rest of the high beam on) if you have the fully loaded lights
4. Functional front bumper vents to cool the brakes
5. Raised lip on the wheels to improve aerodynamics
6. More horsepower 362 vs 385 (advertised) but same amount of torque.
7. More comfortable suspension due to the adjustments made to the damping.
8. As you mentioned, less jerky transmission on first gear and second. However, pfl downshifts to gear 2 in comfort mode and facelift downshifts to gear 1
9. Full digital driver display (if you optioned that)
10. Brighter rear tailights (it seems) but a different design
11. Obvious changes of the grille and front bumper
12. Obvious changes of the exhaust pipe design and the lower part such as the diffuser
13. The new steering wheel
14. The wider infotainment screen
15. Maybe they raised the volume of the pumped in audio as it is even more noticeable on the facelift
16. Better cooling? I noticed the normal operating temperature of the facelift is lower than the pfl
17. More sensitive radar sensors? (the sensitivity can finally be adjusted in the infotainment)
18. Updated versions of COMAND for the infotainment (it now has COMAND NTG5.5)
19. 64 ambient colour options compared to the 3 on the pfl
20. MY20+ only, optional AMG Drive Unit
I will add to this list if I can recall other things.
As for the pros and cons of the prefacelift (I am sure you know since you have one)
Got a message from Mercedes dealer today as soon as they get a loner car for me I will bring my car in to get the steering checked out again!

Wow, good write up comparing the PFL vs FL C43!!.. I also kind of like the PFL design and lights on the car, especial the rear lights vs the new ones, and the PFL front amber lights.
One con I hate is no Apple car play on PFL, like really Mercedes?!? Every other '17 model car has it from other manufacturers - even A class, B class, etc. big disappointment.
But lots to love about the FL model.. My fav what I want:
- Functional front bumper vents to cool the brakes
- More horsepower 362 vs 385
- More comfortable suspension due to the adjustments made to the damping
- Less jerky transmission on first gear and second
- Full digital driver display (would only buy with this option)
- Grille and front bumper
- The new steering wheel
- The wider infotainment screen
- 64 ambient colors
So yeah I think I eventually want a FL one lol.. but still haven't test driven a FL version. I should do it one weekend!
Old 05-26-2021, 09:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Got a message from Mercedes dealer today as soon as they get a loner car for me I will bring my car in to get the steering checked out again!

Wow, good write up comparing the PFL vs FL C43!!.. I also kind of like the PFL design and lights on the car, especial the rear lights vs the new ones, and the PFL front amber lights.
One con I hate is no Apple car play on PFL, like really Mercedes?!? Every other '17 model car has it from other manufacturers - even A class, B class, etc. big disappointment.
But lots to love about the FL model.. My fav what I want:
- Functional front bumper vents to cool the brakes
- More horsepower 362 vs 385
- More comfortable suspension due to the adjustments made to the damping
- Less jerky transmission on first gear and second
- Full digital driver display (would only buy with this option)
- Grille and front bumper
- The new steering wheel
- The wider infotainment screen
- 64 ambient colors
So yeah I think I eventually want a FL one lol.. but still haven't test driven a FL version. I should do it one weekend!
I am so sorry, I didn't understand you on the amber lights, which ones did you mean?

Glad the dealership responded to you and is willing to have it checked out for you! I wish I can borrow your dealership for a day or two because mine doesn't care at all to fix the problems I face with my vehicle. Although my new vehicle warranty has also expired so I guess it doesn't matter anymore : P

Thanks! Yes, I came up with this list after an extensive test driving the facelift (2020 with the drive unit) C43 sedan/saloon because I was debating if I should sell my current car and buy a facelift and brief test driving a C300 4Matic sedan/saloon as a loaner when my car was in service. Those were the changes I noticed, I didn't write them down so I might had forgot some stuff to include in this list, if I recall anything else I will add to it.

I see, guess I wasn't the minority that prefers the pre-facelift lights. Matter of fact, I actually made a thread asking for help on this subject:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ghts-pfl.html#

Yes, I agree it being strange the 2017 doesn't have it, but starting MY18, they integrated apple car play. It might had been retrofitable with an OBD module for the 2017, however, I am not sure.

Yes! You should definitely test drive a facelift and I would love to hear about your experience, please share. Zibby43 also went from pfl to facelift and so far he loves it much more. To be honest, the only thing stopping me from going from a pre-facelift is really those lights and the design, I prefer the diamond grille, the understated exhaust pipes, and the front bumper and the lower front bumper (but obviously that is just my personal preference)... although got to admit how awesome Zibby's car looks like... and recently cata803's coupé (although again just my personal preference, I prefer the sedan/saloon) If I can get myself over the pfl design, the facelift is definitely the way to go.

A lot of people prefer the facelift design mainly because of how different it is compared to the base C-Class, which is fair because they are paying more than those who pay for the base C-Class. The pfl sedan/saloon C43 looks just like the pfl C300 coupé from the front which I didn't mind.

I found the video I stated in my previous comment by @anb :

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 05-26-2021 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Old 05-26-2021, 11:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Oh ya, I knew I forgot something, the key fob on the fl is the key fob that first appeared in the W213. While as the pfl is just a good old traditional style key fob. The fl key fob is matte and plastic while the W213 was and still is gloss black... plastic
I will add to the list if I recall something else
Edit 1: 1)Wireless charger is available on the facelift 2)the charger outlet/cigarette lighter slot is moved to the passenger side footwell
Edit 2: The facelift NO longer has the CD/DVD slot

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 05-26-2021 at 10:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AMGzee (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 12:50 AM

2017 C43 AMG
I am so sorry, I didn't understand you on the amber lights, which ones did you mean?

Glad the dealership responded to you and is willing to have it checked out for you! I wish I can borrow your dealership for a day or two because mine doesn't care at all to fix the problems I face with my vehicle. Although my new vehicle warranty has also expired so I guess it doesn't matter anymore : P

Thanks! Yes, I came up with this list after an extensive test driving the facelift (2020 with the drive unit) C43 sedan/saloon because I was debating if I should sell my current car and buy a facelift and brief test driving a C300 4Matic sedan/saloon as a loaner when my car was in service. Those were the changes I noticed, I didn't write them down so I might had forgot some stuff to include in this list, if I recall anything else I will add to it.

I see, guess I wasn't the minority that prefers the pre-facelift lights. Matter of fact, I actually made a thread asking for help on this subject:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ghts-pfl.html#

Yes, I agree it being strange the 2017 doesn't have it, but starting MY18, they integrated apple car play. It might had been retrofitable with an OBD module for the 2017, however, I am not sure.

Yes! You should definitely test drive a facelift and I would love to hear about your experience, please share. Zibby43 also went from pfl to facelift and so far he loves it much more. To be honest, the only thing stopping me from going from a pre-facelift is really those lights and the design, I prefer the diamond grille, the understated exhaust pipes, and the front bumper and the lower front bumper (but obviously that is just my personal preference)... although got to admit how awesome Zibby's car looks like... and recently cata803's coupé (although again just my personal preference, I prefer the sedan/saloon) If I can get myself over the pfl design, the facelift is definitely the way to go.

A lot of people prefer the facelift design mainly because of how different it is compared to the base C-Class, which is fair because they are paying more than those who pay for the base C-Class. The pfl sedan/saloon C43 looks just like the pfl C300 coupé from the front which I didn't mind.

I found the video I stated in my previous comment by @anb :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sezKhK2ZFPA
The amber light - I meant the orange turn signal in the PFL, it has its own LEDs, thats what I like vs the FL where its the white daytime running LED the changes orange when you turn on turn signal.

Sure, ship your car here and have Aaron look at it, he's been good so far lol. Wonder if there's a mother MB dealership you can go to?

Yeah I remember coming across that thread about light you made well before I decided to sign up here and become a member

I asked my dealership about getting Apple CarPlay installed on my 2017 and they said there's no way it can be installed, need to just buy a new 2019 car or newer C43 if I wanted it.. disappointment but oh well.

That is true they do look similar to regular C class with the PFL, but I also don't mind it. And I prefer the sedans all the way for most cars, I like having the room. The coupes are just like a stretched 2 seater car to me lol.
I will have to do some test driving for fun of the FL C43 when I get time. I'll see in a few years what to do.. I really want a C63S but HATE they don't make them in 4matic, if it was in 4matic I'd buy it. and E63S, which is my dream, is way out of budget for me.. I know the 2022 C63 will have 4matic but not a fan, 4cyl engine and electric battery and ****, more stuff to go wrong with the car!

Old 05-27-2021, 06:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

The amber light - I meant the orange turn signal in the PFL, it has its own LEDs, thats what I like vs the FL where its the white daytime running LED the changes orange when you turn on turn signal.

Sure, ship your car here and have Aaron look at it, he's been good so far lol. Wonder if there's a mother MB dealership you can go to?

Yeah I remember coming across that thread about light you made well before I decided to sign up here and become a member

I asked my dealership about getting Apple CarPlay installed on my 2017 and they said there's no way it can be installed, need to just buy a new 2019 car or newer C43 if I wanted it.. disappointment but oh well.

That is true they do look similar to regular C class with the PFL, but I also don't mind it. And I prefer the sedans all the way for most cars, I like having the room. The coupes are just like a stretched 2 seater car to me lol.
I will have to do some test driving for fun of the FL C43 when I get time. I'll see in a few years what to do.. I really want a C63S but HATE they don't make them in 4matic, if it was in 4matic I'd buy it. and E63S, which is my dream, is way out of budget for me.. I know the 2022 C63 will have 4matic but not a fan, 4cyl engine and electric battery and ****, more stuff to go wrong with the car!
Oh wait... I forgot you live in Canada. Now you further explained it, I totally agree. I call those the eyebrows of the headlight and the two bulbs are eyeballs, I also appreciate how it dims the DRL when it flashes, it is such a great design and I will truly miss it on the facelift.
I remember writing about it in this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post8121669

I was confused when you mentioned amber lights because I thought you live somewhere else other than North America where they have those side marker regulations in the USA (which Canada doesn't but it was cheaper for manufacturers to include it for all cars in North America and for simplicity sake. Vehicles can be modified to be sold in North American countries while meeting regulations easily). North American cars also use the brake light as a turn-signal while the rest of the world have a dedicated amber turn signal at the rear (beside the reverse light). I prefer the euro front headlights because it looks cleaner without that side marker (in my opinion). Glad they started to just include it as a strip like BMW has always been doing instead of integrating in the headlights for MY21 (for facelift W213/C238/A238 and most likely for W206 as well)

I got to admit the lighting technology in the facelift 205 is more advanced though, like the 84 individual LEDs which also was brought down from the W213/C238/A238. Although the full potential is limited because of North American regulations. It was legal in Canada in 2018 http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/20...ors43-eng.html but not until MY21 that MB Canada decides to enable it in the software https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8260746. That being said, since it was really a software restriction, the full potential can be enabled via an OBD module for earlier model years (this particular one is not compatible with our pfl W/C/S205 cars but it is compatible for facelifted cars)
Amazon Amazon

Oh xD, so you saw the thread before, glad you became a member here on MBWorld, it is such a great community especially in the C43 sub-forum, there are so many helpful and friendly members, mostly gentlemen and most happens to be engineers too that are willing to patiently explain things to others and to help them resolve issues with their vehicles.

As for retrofitting Apple Carplay, it is easy to be done on model years that support it but the car owner didn't option it. As for our cars, the MY17 that doesn't have it from factory and wasn't an option, the head unit has to be changed. The way it works for MY18+ is that when you don't option something, it is disabled in software hence why the OBD module can just enable it again. The code is not there for our MY17 cars so this isn't an option. That is also another reason why I appreciate this community so much because people are so talented, making it all possible, such as: https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post7689851 (Read the quoted part)
As for dealerships just telling you it is outright impossible and wants you to buy a new car is a standard business practice. Since we are talking about Apple Carplay, I want to say how most smartphone manufacturers support their phones with software updates for several years, then drops support because they aren't making money on it. They much rather you buy a new phone so they can make money on the hardware. Our devices nowadays are more than capable of running the next version of the operating system. That is why we have communities that develop custom roms for these phones to further extend the life of the devices. In the automotive world, these are the many reasons why we have the aftermarket.

As for the C63s, I agree with what you said especially 4MATIC. We aren't called the Great White North for nothing, our winters are longer than any other seasons so all wheel drive is important. I also don't need the power of the V8. If I liked SUVs in anyway, I would consider the GLC 63s which had 4MATIC but again, I didn't need all that power. I also prefer the understated (or sleeper-ish) look of the pfl C43. Totally agree with the W206 C63e going hybrid 4 cylinder, only time will tell if it will be a good car and that it is worth it. I will also deeply miss the C43's exhaust note. Forum member superswiss posted some interesting facts about the W206 C63e that I thought you might be interested in checking out: https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post8311019
Old 05-28-2021, 12:53 AM

2017 C43 AMG
Oh wait... I forgot you live in Canada. Now you further explained it, I totally agree. I call those the eyebrows of the headlight and the two bulbs are eyeballs, I also appreciate how it dims the DRL when it flashes, it is such a great design and I will truly miss it on the facelift.
I remember writing about it in this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post8121669

I was confused when you mentioned amber lights because I thought you live somewhere else other than North America where they have those side marker regulations in the USA (which Canada doesn't but it was cheaper for manufacturers to include it for all cars in North America and for simplicity sake. Vehicles can be modified to be sold in North American countries while meeting regulations easily). North American cars also use the brake light as a turn-signal while the rest of the world have a dedicated amber turn signal at the rear (beside the reverse light). I prefer the euro front headlights because it looks cleaner without that side marker (in my opinion). Glad they started to just include it as a strip like BMW has always been doing instead of integrating in the headlights for MY21 (for facelift W213/C238/A238 and most likely for W206 as well)

I got to admit the lighting technology in the facelift 205 is more advanced though, like the 84 individual LEDs which also was brought down from the W213/C238/A238. Although the full potential is limited because of North American regulations. It was legal in Canada in 2018 http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/20...ors43-eng.html but not until MY21 that MB Canada decides to enable it in the software https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8260746. That being said, since it was really a software restriction, the full potential can be enabled via an OBD module for earlier model years (this particular one is not compatible with our pfl W/C/S205 cars but it is compatible for facelifted cars) https://www.amazon.ca/Mercedes-MULTI.../dp/B089DQLV58

Oh xD, so you saw the thread before, glad you became a member here on MBWorld, it is such a great community especially in the C43 sub-forum, there are so many helpful and friendly members, mostly gentlemen and most happens to be engineers too that are willing to patiently explain things to others and to help them resolve issues with their vehicles.

As for retrofitting Apple Carplay, it is easy to be done on model years that support it but the car owner didn't option it. As for our cars, the MY17 that doesn't have it from factory and wasn't an option, the head unit has to be changed. The way it works for MY18+ is that when you don't option something, it is disabled in software hence why the OBD module can just enable it again. The code is not there for our MY17 cars so this isn't an option. That is also another reason why I appreciate this community so much because people are so talented, making it all possible, such as: https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post7689851 (Read the quoted part)
As for dealerships just telling you it is outright impossible and wants you to buy a new car is a standard business practice. Since we are talking about Apple Carplay, I want to say how most smartphone manufacturers support their phones with software updates for several years, then drops support because they aren't making money on it. They much rather you buy a new phone so they can make money on the hardware. Our devices nowadays are more than capable of running the next version of the operating system. That is why we have communities that develop custom roms for these phones to further extend the life of the devices. In the automotive world, these are the many reasons why we have the aftermarket.

As for the C63s, I agree with what you said especially 4MATIC. We aren't called the Great White North for nothing, our winters are longer than any other seasons so all wheel drive is important. I also don't need the power of the V8. If I liked SUVs in anyway, I would consider the GLC 63s which had 4MATIC but again, I didn't need all that power. I also prefer the understated (or sleeper-ish) look of the pfl C43. Totally agree with the W206 C63e going hybrid 4 cylinder, only time will tell if it will be a good car and that it is worth it. I will also deeply miss the C43's exhaust note. Forum member superswiss posted some interesting facts about the W206 C63e that I thought you might be interested in checking out: https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post8311019
Yeah, good old Canada!
Haha yeah the eye brows and eyeballs, these lights really are cool! i will miss the too if I upgrade to FL model in future. And I do HATE the amber side marker, don't get why we need it here. And also I actually like the rear brake lights here how the red is turn signal!

That's so weird that certain counters will disable things like the dimming of lights on oncoming traffic, like doesn't that make sense to have so you don't blind other drivers? Or are people in North America that horrible of drivers that they need full light and even side markers on cars because they can't see at night?! Haha.
Wow almost $800 for the multi beam activator on amazon?! That's insane!!

Yeah I do like the MBWorld Lots of good people here seems like it and helpful too!!

Yeah I spent hours online reading to retrofit Apple CarPlay, but decided to leave as is and just use my bluetooth for now..

I believe they would have sold more C63S had they made 4MATIC as option on it! Up here we need it, my last Benz C230 was rear wheel drive loved it but in snow sucked? Couldn't make it up a hill behind a snow plow trying to go skiing, had to turn around lol. But yeah C63S is a lot of power from the V8 but I just really love that sound of engine and exhaust, deep low AMG sound from the V8

Old 05-28-2021, 10:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, good old Canada!
Haha yeah the eye brows and eyeballs, these lights really are cool! i will miss the too if I upgrade to FL model in future. And I do HATE the amber side marker, don't get why we need it here. And also I actually like the rear brake lights here how the red is turn signal!

That's so weird that certain counters will disable things like the dimming of lights on oncoming traffic, like doesn't that make sense to have so you don't blind other drivers? Or are people in North America that horrible of drivers that they need full light and even side markers on cars because they can't see at night?! Haha.
Wow almost $800 for the multi beam activator on amazon?! That's insane!!

Yeah I do like the MBWorld Lots of good people here seems like it and helpful too!!

Yeah I spent hours online reading to retrofit Apple CarPlay, but decided to leave as is and just use my bluetooth for now..

I believe they would have sold more C63S had they made 4MATIC as option on it! Up here we need it, my last Benz C230 was rear wheel drive loved it but in snow sucked? Couldn't make it up a hill behind a snow plow trying to go skiing, had to turn around lol. But yeah C63S is a lot of power from the V8 but I just really love that sound of engine and exhaust, deep low AMG sound from the V8
I also hate the side marker but US regulation requires it. I also prefer the brake lights as turn signal opposed to the amber separate light in euro cars.

Sorry for not being clear enough and to confuse you. I meant the dimming as in the daylight running lamps on the pfl dims when the signaling (which is when the eyebrows lights is on) while as the facelift it is integrated as a one light strip which changes colours instead when signaling (first found on the W213/C238/A238) and then when GLC came out and subsequently to the facelifted W222

As for the side markers helping people see at night, it might be one of the reasons. Not too sure either what the regulation is for.

Ya the activator is expensive for sure but I guess finding how to code it took the developer a lot of time.
I see, alright but then since you are speaking of retrofitting, I thought I will share this post I came across that might just workout for you :
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post6802978

I see, sorry for such an encounter glad you were fine, rear wheel drive or not snow tires definitely helps compared to all seasons (which really is 3 seasons). The rubber is different for summer and winter tires, even without snow, if we are below 7 degrees summer tires' rubber hardens.

Mercedes-Benz was always meant to be based on luxury while as AMG is meant to be a completely different animal altogether, that was part of AMG's philosophy: to completely transform a car. For that reason, C63 was always known for enthusiasts and meant to be tire burners and is tail happy... until now which will gain two fours, which are 4matic and 4cylinder. GLC 63s on the other hand is a family hauler meant to go very fast. Same vehicle yet very different.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:49 PM

2017 C43 AMG
I also hate the side marker but US regulation requires it. I also prefer the brake lights as turn signal opposed to the amber separate light in euro cars.

Sorry for not being clear enough and to confuse you. I meant the dimming as in the daylight running lamps on the pfl dims when the signaling (which is when the eyebrows lights is on) while as the facelift it is integrated as a one light strip which changes colours instead when signaling (first found on the W213/C238/A238) and then when GLC came out and subsequently to the facelifted W222

As for the side markers helping people see at night, it might be one of the reasons. Not too sure either what the regulation is for.

Ya the activator is expensive for sure but I guess finding how to code it took the developer a lot of time.
I see, alright but then since you are speaking of retrofitting, I thought I will share this post I came across that might just workout for you :
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post6802978

I see, sorry for such an encounter glad you were fine, rear wheel drive or not snow tires definitely helps compared to all seasons (which really is 3 seasons). The rubber is different for summer and winter tires, even without snow, if we are below 7 degrees summer tires' rubber hardens.

Mercedes-Benz was always meant to be based on luxury while as AMG is meant to be a completely different animal altogether, that was part of AMG's philosophy: to completely transform a car. For that reason, C63 was always known for enthusiasts and meant to be tire burners and is tail happy... until now which will gain two fours, which are 4matic and 4cylinder. GLC 63s on the other hand is a family hauler meant to go very fast. Same vehicle yet very different.

Ah yeah, the dimming of the daytime running LED while the separate amber turn single light comes on is what I like. But yeah will be missed on FL versions..

Thanks for the retro fit post, I'll have to check it out!

Yeah Canada winter aren't the best, but Vancouver isn't as bad but still when it gets cold its not fun to drive a rear wheel drive. I just used Continental DWS tires on my car, but should start investing in some good winter tires

Yeah for sure, AMG was the ore aggressive crazier side, but I still don't like the 4cyl they are going to, at least keep the V6! Everyone pushing for electric thinking "its better for climate" wrong! the mining for batteries is much worse than for oil! never ind the recycling or batteries.. Nothing beats the sound of raw engine and power!

And I just got my apt booked at Mercedes to try and fix my steering, June 18th.. So we'll see..
Old 05-29-2021, 10:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Ah yeah, the dimming of the daytime running LED while the separate amber turn single light comes on is what I like. But yeah will be missed on FL versions..

Thanks for the retro fit post, I'll have to check it out!

Yeah Canada winter aren't the best, but Vancouver isn't as bad but still when it gets cold its not fun to drive a rear wheel drive. I just used Continental DWS tires on my car, but should start investing in some good winter tires

Yeah for sure, AMG was the ore aggressive crazier side, but I still don't like the 4cyl they are going to, at least keep the V6! Everyone pushing for electric thinking "its better for climate" wrong! the mining for batteries is much worse than for oil! never ind the recycling or batteries.. Nothing beats the sound of raw engine and power!

And I just got my apt booked at Mercedes to try and fix my steering, June 18th.. So we'll see..
Me too.

Actually there is a better method for the retrofit I found:
That youtuber also swap the whole screen prior to this module method which you can check out on his channel.

Never tried those tires but they should be good tires. I personally went with Bridgestone Blizzaks and found them decent enough for Toronto.

Yup I can see why that will be. I would say even us Canadians don't use the best or most environmentally friendly method in generating electricity although I heard that might be changing soon. As for batteries, agree. The current battery technology has aged and we need some sort of breakthrough to make it sustainable. People are experimenting with graphene batteries but it will take a while before it can be used in a consumer product. As for the sound and feeling of ICE, can't deny at all.

I see, surprised how far you booked the appointment though, are they that busy?
Old 05-30-2021, 06:27 PM

2017 C43 AMG
Me too.

Actually there is a better method for the retrofit I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEcZP7F04s0
That youtuber also swap the whole screen prior to this module method which you can check out on his channel.

Never tried those tires but they should be good tires. I personally went with Bridgestone Blizzaks and found them decent enough for Toronto.

Yup I can see why that will be. I would say even us Canadians don't use the best or most environmentally friendly method in generating electricity although I heard that might be changing soon. As for batteries, agree. The current battery technology has aged and we need some sort of breakthrough to make it sustainable. People are experimenting with graphene batteries but it will take a while before it can be used in a consumer product. As for the sound and feeling of ICE, can't deny at all.

I see, surprised how far you booked the appointment though, are they that busy?

Cool, thanks for the link! I'll have to look into that method for CarPlay!

The DWS tires I used were pretty good and probably one of the quietest on the road I've had. But yeah Vancouver gets around 1-2 weeks of snow a year so not too bad. I've been to Toronto in winter and its definitely more snow than here so would need a good pair.

That appointment is the earliest they have where they can give me a loner car, and I need a loner car to get around for work. So just a few more week wait but will update what happens this time around!
Old 05-30-2021, 08:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Cool, thanks for the link! I'll have to look into that method for CarPlay!

The DWS tires I used were pretty good and probably one of the quietest on the road I've had. But yeah Vancouver gets around 1-2 weeks of snow a year so not too bad. I've been to Toronto in winter and its definitely more snow than here so would need a good pair.

That appointment is the earliest they have where they can give me a loner car, and I need a loner car to get around for work. So just a few more week wait but will update what happens this time around!
The easiest way and the most effective way is just to glue (well, use something to attach) an iPad on top of the COMAND display like how the other person did it (method 1 I linked you before I linked you the youtube video of a different method)

I really like the Bridgestone Blizzak but I should give the DWS a try once they are worn off.

For the loner, request for a facelift C43 so you could also test drive one while your car is in service to see if you like it.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 05-30-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:53 AM

2017 C43 AMG
The easiest way and the most effective way is just to glue (well, use something to attach) an iPad on top of the COMAND display like how the other person did it (method 1 I linked you before I linked you the youtube video of a different method)

I really like the Bridgestone Blizzak but I should give the DWS a try once they are worn off.

For the loner, request for a facelift C43 so you could also test drive one while your car is in service to see if you like it.

Yeah I don't think I want to stick anything over the screen, I'll just leave it stock, I don't need CarPlay that bad, but was just saying it would have been nice to have that option as other car manufactures have it for 2017 and even other MB classes have it..

Yeah try those, they are good, they are "ExtremeContact DWS06"

I would love to have a C43 as a loner car, but unfortunately no MB dealership here has one even for sale, just one I found in BC has a 2021 brand new for sale and don't think they would even get it as a loner. its usually the C300 or GLC300.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yeah I don't think I want to stick anything over the screen, I'll just leave it stock, I don't need CarPlay that bad, but was just saying it would have been nice to have that option as other car manufactures have it for 2017 and even other MB classes have it..

Yeah try those, they are good, they are "ExtremeContact DWS06"

I would love to have a C43 as a loner car, but unfortunately no MB dealership here has one even for sale, just one I found in BC has a 2021 brand new for sale and don't think they would even get it as a loner. its usually the C300 or GLC300.
I wouldn't either, if you couldn't tell already, I was just kidding about that method although I had a good laugh when I came across that post so I was hoping you would have a good laugh too , especially during these trying times.... I also figured that people always call the COMAND screen a stuck-on iPad so might as well make it more authentic (as a joke of course)

Thank you for the tire model, I will keep that in mind when shopping for tires next time.

That is unfortunate that they can't provide C43 loaners, oh well, I guess you could tell them you might be considering one (because you are) and see if they can arrange (when one shows up). I am surprised how low of a stock the facelift C43 they have. Only reason I could think of is chip shortage but MY20 C43 was available in dealerships in late 2019 already. I thought MY19 used stock would show up by now. Did you check other dealerships?

Happy to hear that you came to Toronto, I hope you enjoyed the time being here. I am looking forward to going to Vancouver one day after the pandemic.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 05-31-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:08 AM

2017 C43 AMG
I wouldn't either, if you couldn't tell already, I was just kidding about that method although I had a good laugh when I came across that post so I was hoping you would have a good laugh too , especially during these trying times.... I also figured that people always call the COMAND screen a stuck-on iPad so might as well make it more authentic (as a joke of course)

Thank you for the tire model, I will keep that in mind when shopping for tires next time.

That is unfortunate that they can't provide C43 loaners, oh well, I guess you could tell them you might be considering one (because you are) and see if they can arrange (when one shows up). I am surprised how low of a stock the facelift C43 they have. Only reason I could think of is chip shortage but MY20 C43 was available in dealerships in late 2019 already. I thought MY19 used stock would show up by now. Did you check other dealerships?

Happy to hear that you came to Toronto, I hope you enjoyed the time being here. I am looking forward to going to Vancouver one day after the pandemic.

Lol, I was hoping you were kidding about it, I was like why would anyone do that?! Hahaha

Yeah, no worries you're welcome!

Yeah not sure why, I guess I could test drive the C43 Coupe, but I want the sedan and not sure how different it would be.. There is some Coupes here but no Sedans, That one I saw got taken down maybe it also got sold.. I check all 5 dealerships around here..

Yeah it was fun, definitely a bigger city. I was in TO, Mississauga, Brampton, and even Windsor
Let me know if you come out here I'll let you now of some places to check out!
Old 06-01-2021, 08:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Lol, I was hoping you were kidding about it, I was like why would anyone do that?! Hahaha

Yeah, no worries you're welcome!

Yeah not sure why, I guess I could test drive the C43 Coupe, but I want the sedan and not sure how different it would be.. There is some Coupes here but no Sedans, That one I saw got taken down maybe it also got sold.. I check all 5 dealerships around here..

Yeah it was fun, definitely a bigger city. I was in TO, Mississauga, Brampton, and even Windsor
Let me know if you come out here I'll let you now of some places to check out!
Yes, you should test drive the coupé! It is heavier than the sedan but you should like it. Canadian C43 coupé are made in Germany too unlike the sedans which are made in Alabama.
Ah, for sure buddy, once we are all back to normal I would love to come to Vancouver. I won't hesitate to ask you where to go. Those are some lovely cities you visited, good choice.
As for my personal preference, I went with the sedan because I didn't like the C-Class coupé as much as the E-Class coupé and the C-Class sedan. Mainly like the C-Class sedan because I like the S-Class inspired rear and taillights.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-01-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:02 AM

2017 C43 AMG
Yes, you should test drive the coupé! It is heavier than the sedan but you should like it. Canadian C43 coupé are made in Germany too unlike the sedans which are made in Alabama.
Ah, for sure buddy, once we are all back to normal I would love to come to Vancouver. I won't hesitate to ask you where to go. Those are some lovely cities you visited, good choice.
As for my personal preference, I went with the sedan because I didn't like the C-Class coupé as much as the E-Class coupé and the C-Class sedan. Mainly like the C-Class sedan because I like the S-Class inspired rear and taillights.

I think I might check out the coupe just for fun to see how the new transmission is, I read they changed the transmission on the FL C43 AMG speedshift.. I sometimes even think about the E53 AMG with the inline 6 wonder how good those are compared to our V6 M276 engines.
Yeah I know when I was looking I was reading about sedans made in Alabama and Coupes in Germany, I would prefer its made in Germany since it is a German brand.

For sure let me know!! Yeah is was nice there, but Vancouver is good for more outdoor stuff like beach, hike, mountains all so close.

Yeah I like having the more room in sedan and think they look nicer in my opinion. I was never a fan of coupes, but yeah E-class is better than C-class coupe and same with S-class! Just a bit pricey for me for an S-Class
Old 06-02-2021, 08:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

I think I might check out the coupe just for fun to see how the new transmission is, I read they changed the transmission on the FL C43 AMG speedshift.. I sometimes even think about the E53 AMG with the inline 6 wonder how good those are compared to our V6 M276 engines.
Yeah I know when I was looking I was reading about sedans made in Alabama and Coupes in Germany, I would prefer its made in Germany since it is a German brand.

For sure let me know!! Yeah is was nice there, but Vancouver is good for more outdoor stuff like beach, hike, mountains all so close.

Yeah I like having the more room in sedan and think they look nicer in my opinion. I was never a fan of coupes, but yeah E-class is better than C-class coupe and same with S-class! Just a bit pricey for me for an S-Class
For sure! You should definitely check out the C43 coupé, I doubt you will not like it.

The inline-6 in the E53 is not a bad engine, it is also pretty cool seeing MB bringing back their inline-6s. The E53 do have common issues with the 48V battery though, there are bad batches and affected models include regular MBs with the hybrid technologies as well. Such as the GLE 450, GLS, CLS 450, E 450 (fl) etc. Other than that, it is pretty solid. The E53 will be a fantastic daily driver. You can't go wrong with that car especially if you like screens and MBUX (for the facelift model or MY21 of CLS which is one year prior to facelift). The E53's exhaust note also sound appropriate for the class and pretty good. Another con is the weight of the E53, our C43 rolls like a pig, the E53 is worse with a heavier E-Class chassis and especially heavy with the additional weight of the hybrid tech.

As for the M276 in our cars, although it had many variations over the decade (ours is the DELA 30). It has been an engine since the Chrysler era so it should be a pretty mature and therefore reliable engine.

If you are going for an E-Class, the Canadian cars will be made in Germany either way whether it is a E 350 or E 63s so that won't be something you should worry about. Remember to test drive it and see if you like it though! I don't know if you find the exhaust too muted on the E53, it sure is more refined sounding.

Sweet! I will be looking forward to the trip to Vancouver!

Edit1: I mostly dislike the bumperettes on the C-Class coupé due to North American regulations, other things I dislike are pretty minor although due to personal preference, I will pick the sedan over it either way as I really like the sedan but I will have to think a while if you add the gorgeous E-Class coupé in the mix.
Speaking of which, did you test drive the CLA 45? Shame we don't get the S model here but it is a decent little car. If luxury isn't high on your priority list, it is also a great little car.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-02-2021 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added an opinion on the C205
Old 06-03-2021, 12:26 AM

2017 C43 AMG
For sure! You should definitely check out the C43 coupé, I doubt you will not like it.

The inline-6 in the E53 is not a bad engine, it is also pretty cool seeing MB bringing back their inline-6s. The E53 do have common issues with the 48V battery though, there are bad batches and affected models include regular MBs with the hybrid technologies as well. Such as the GLE 450, GLS, CLS 450, E 450 (fl) etc. Other than that, it is pretty solid. The E53 will be a fantastic daily driver. You can't go wrong with that car especially if you like screens and MBUX (for the facelift model or MY21 of CLS which is one year prior to facelift). The E53's exhaust note also sound appropriate for the class and pretty good. Another con is the weight of the E53, our C43 rolls like a pig, the E53 is worse with a heavier E-Class chassis and especially heavy with the additional weight of the hybrid tech.

As for the M276 in our cars, although it had many variations over the decade (ours is the DELA 30). It has been an engine since the Chrysler era so it should be a pretty mature and therefore reliable engine.

If you are going for an E-Class, the Canadian cars will be made in Germany either way whether it is a E 350 or E 63s so that won't be something you should worry about. Remember to test drive it and see if you like it though! I don't know if you find the exhaust too muted on the E53, it sure is more refined sounding.

Sweet! I will be looking forward to the trip to Vancouver!

Edit1: I mostly dislike the bumperettes on the C-Class coupé due to North American regulations, other things I dislike are pretty minor although due to personal preference, I will pick the sedan over it either way as I really like the sedan but I will have to think a while if you add the gorgeous E-Class coupé in the mix.
Speaking of which, did you test drive the CLA 45? Shame we don't get the S model here but it is a decent little car. If luxury isn't high on your priority list, it is also a great little car.
I actually did a search and I see so many people with complaining about the E53 AMG with problems with the 48Volt battery. I wish they left it plain inline 6, I'm a believer with all these batteries and more electronics you'll just have more problems. I usually keep my cars for a long time, I'm not rich to not care and always switch my cars LOL. But the only thing I'm thinking about upgrading my c43 is if they can't fix the steering because its really annoying.. and I think I'll just stick with C43, I kind of rushed into buying it bought it last summer from MB with about 50k km on it, wish it had less, maybe in few years when 2021 go down in price I'll trade for one with less km if I can find..

True since our M276 has been around for some time I hope most of problems have been tweaked and corrected over the years!

Yes I hope travel opens up soon! eager to board a plane

YES - those bumperettes on the C-Class coupé I think ruin it, so useless here in North America. Yeah I saw the CLA 45 AMG at the dealer, I feel its over priced for a 4-banger (sticker price was about $85K plus tax looking at $100K here), I prefer V6 minimum in my car and inside is a bit cheaper ie. black plastic parts compared to ours aluminum. and the seats are't as comfortable from reviews I've seen. I know a few guys, not close friends who work for MB and they say the A-class, B-class are not real MB vehicles, they were just made to be more affordable so they can get more people into MB cars. They are based of Japanese, Korean cars the frame so I've heard, look at even the gas cap in different compared to all real MB cars (right vs left side)
Old 06-03-2021, 04:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

I actually did a search and I see so many people with complaining about the E53 AMG with problems with the 48Volt battery. I wish they left it plain inline 6, I'm a believer with all these batteries and more electronics you'll just have more problems. I usually keep my cars for a long time, I'm not rich to not care and always switch my cars LOL. But the only thing I'm thinking about upgrading my c43 is if they can't fix the steering because its really annoying.. and I think I'll just stick with C43, I kind of rushed into buying it bought it last summer from MB with about 50k km on it, wish it had less, maybe in few years when 2021 go down in price I'll trade for one with less km if I can find..

True since our M276 has been around for some time I hope most of problems have been tweaked and corrected over the years!

Yes I hope travel opens up soon! eager to board a plane

YES - those bumperettes on the C-Class coupé I think ruin it, so useless here in North America. Yeah I saw the CLA 45 AMG at the dealer, I feel its over priced for a 4-banger (sticker price was about $85K plus tax looking at $100K here), I prefer V6 minimum in my car and inside is a bit cheaper ie. black plastic parts compared to ours aluminum. and the seats are't as comfortable from reviews I've seen. I know a few guys, not close friends who work for MB and they say the A-class, B-class are not real MB vehicles, they were just made to be more affordable so they can get more people into MB cars. They are based of Japanese, Korean cars the frame so I've heard, look at even the gas cap in different compared to all real MB cars (right vs left side)
Good luck on the upcoming dealership appointment, hopefully they get it all fixed this time!

I see, ya it is a rather common problem on the mild-hybrid MB cars which are in the 53.s of different classes and 450s of different classes, I haven't notice any recalls yet or maybe I haven't been paying attention. Other than people complaining on the forum, I don't know how widespread the issue is, and I don't know how large of the inventory they have for the bad batch. I even heard 2021 models experiencing this problem on the forum so looks like MB haven't figured out what is wrong yet.

You rushing to get a C43 wasn't a bad idea, you are already ahead of us (including me who bought the car new and lost over 20% on depreciation (or even more) the first year) The only thing you are missing out is having the new car smell which honestly isn't a big deal and the joy (I mean pain) of breaking-in the vehicle with many limitations (include varying speeds, not go over 4K RPM, etc.) for the first 1500 KMs. You made a great choice picking up an overall great daily driver. At least that is what I believe because even till this day, I still haven't find a good replacement for it, I just like it more than most cars out there. Although, to be fair, everyone is unique, for example, there was a member here that absolutely hated the car and was in full relief when they got rid of it. I understand that the C43 isn't for everyone and I am happy for him that he finally found the car he liked.

Speaking of plane, that reminds me:

The bumperettes was MB's respond to USA regulations which also isn't in Canada but we still have it. Oh well, at least our cars meet US regulations lol.

Even though I own a C43 myself, I still would say this, a C-Class (arguably.... isn't a real MB, a real MB is when you get an E-Class and above). Just because CLA came out in 2014 and made the C-Class more upmarket (the prices of the C-Class also went much higher than it first came out) doesn't change the fact that C-Class was born as the entry (poor man's MB). However, if what a person will define something as real or not is if they use components other than from MB themselves, then as far as I know, there aren't any on the current C-Class. Even that is subjective, because MB design parts and they don't make it themselves, a lot of MB parts are manufactured by various manufacturers such as Bosch and Magna. The G-Wagen as far as I heard, is mostly made by Magna Canada. Does that make it a fake MB, uh, I suppose that is a no? That being said, Is the C-Class a great car? For sure and I agree it well deserves the MB badge. Even knowing that C-Class (arguably isn't considered as a real MB, I would had still got it over an E-Class because I don't need the extra space and weight of that car even though I truly enjoy my short time with one which I would talk about now)

I test drove the E-Classes (E300 and E450) at one point and I was blown away how different the fit and finish, the refinement in ride, sound insulation, power delivery compared to the C300 loaners and my C43 (although it isn't fair to compare the C43 to an E450 since the former is performance oriented) However, if you are hoping to avoid the Mercedes characteristic creak when pressing on the trim pieces, I have some bad news for you. Speaking of E450, I don't know how much the exhaust sound matters to you, if not you can consider the pfl E-Class E450 which has the exact same engine as our C43 (except it is heavier, much more muted exhaust and less horsepower than the fl c43 but same horsepower as the pfl). Nothing a custom exhaust can't fix though. That being said, the E-Class has more tech which in your words, more things to break and since it is a higher tier than C-Class, the ownership cost will therefore be slightly higher. I never test drove an S-Class so I don't know if it will be that different to an E-Class (compared to C-Class vs E-Class), I admit I might be biased on the E-Class because I never test drove an S-Class, if I did, my opinion comparing the C-Class vs E-Class might have more merit to it especially if the S-Class doesn't feel that much better than the E-Class (or at least to the extent I experienced) One thing to keep in mind though, the E450 will focus more on luxury and slower shifts with the dual-clutch transmission compared to our torque-converter transmission in the C43.

Since you talked about the CLA, when it came out back in 2014, the CLA 250 engine was co-developed with Renault-Nissan so it technically didn't have a real/full MB engine in it. The reason why the current gen (C118) CLA 45 price is so high is because it is still relatively young in the model years and the C43 (A/C/W205) is phasing out. Dealerships wants to move that inventory out to welcome the next C-Class (W206) in. As for preferring V6 minimum in your car is understandable, I wish they will stick around a little longer before it becomes 0-cylinders (so fully electric). As for the inside of the CLA 45 being cheaper, it makes sense because it is based on the CLA. Interesting insight on the frame not being MB, that I didn't know. The current gen CLA (C118) was based on the MFA2 platform I think, I might be wrong. Interesting comment on the gas tank location, yes I notice that as well, a very Japanese design.

Edit1: Just remember to not get the facelift E450 since it has the inline-6 with the 48V battery, the pfl still uses the C43 engine.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-03-2021 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Added info on the E450
Old 06-04-2021, 01:10 AM

2017 C43 AMG
Good luck on the upcoming dealership appointment, hopefully they get it all fixed this time!

I see, ya it is a rather common problem on the mild-hybrid MB cars which are in the 53.s of different classes and 450s of different classes, I haven't notice any recalls yet or maybe I haven't been paying attention. Other than people complaining on the forum, I don't know how widespread the issue is, and I don't know how large of the inventory they have for the bad batch. I even heard 2021 models experiencing this problem on the forum so looks like MB haven't figured out what is wrong yet.

You rushing to get a C43 wasn't a bad idea, you are already ahead of us (including me who bought the car new and lost over 20% on depreciation (or even more) the first year) The only thing you are missing out is having the new car smell which honestly isn't a big deal and the joy (I mean pain) of breaking-in the vehicle with many limitations (include varying speeds, not go over 4K RPM, etc.) for the first 1500 KMs. You made a great choice picking up an overall great daily driver. At least that is what I believe because even till this day, I still haven't find a good replacement for it, I just like it more than most cars out there. Although, to be fair, everyone is unique, for example, there was a member here that absolutely hated the car and was in full relief when they got rid of it. I understand that the C43 isn't for everyone and I am happy for him that he finally found the car he liked.

Speaking of plane, that reminds me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6yhrxxpUWo

The bumperettes was MB's respond to USA regulations which also isn't in Canada but we still have it. Oh well, at least our cars meet US regulations lol.

Even though I own a C43 myself, I still would say this, a C-Class (arguably.... isn't a real MB, a real MB is when you get an E-Class and above). Just because CLA came out in 2014 and made the C-Class more upmarket (the prices of the C-Class also went much higher than it first came out) doesn't change the fact that C-Class was born as the entry (poor man's MB). However, if what a person will define something as real or not is if they use components other than from MB themselves, then as far as I know, there aren't any on the current C-Class. Even that is subjective, because MB design parts and they don't make it themselves, a lot of MB parts are manufactured by various manufacturers such as Bosch and Magna. The G-Wagen as far as I heard, is mostly made by Magna Canada. Does that make it a fake MB, uh, I suppose that is a no? That being said, Is the C-Class a great car? For sure and I agree it well deserves the MB badge. Even knowing that C-Class (arguably isn't considered as a real MB, I would had still got it over an E-Class because I don't need the extra space and weight of that car even though I truly enjoy my short time with one which I would talk about now)

I test drove the E-Classes (E300 and E450) at one point and I was blown away how different the fit and finish, the refinement in ride, sound insulation, power delivery compared to the C300 loaners and my C43 (although it isn't fair to compare the C43 to an E450 since the former is performance oriented) However, if you are hoping to avoid the Mercedes characteristic creak when pressing on the trim pieces, I have some bad news for you. Speaking of E450, I don't know how much the exhaust sound matters to you, if not you can consider the pfl E-Class E450 which has the exact same engine as our C43 (except it is heavier, much more muted exhaust and less horsepower than the fl c43 but same horsepower as the pfl). Nothing a custom exhaust can't fix though. That being said, the E-Class has more tech which in your words, more things to break and since it is a higher tier than C-Class, the ownership cost will therefore be slightly higher. I never test drove an S-Class so I don't know if it will be that different to an E-Class (compared to C-Class vs E-Class), I admit I might be biased on the E-Class because I never test drove an S-Class, if I did, my opinion comparing the C-Class vs E-Class might have more merit to it especially if the S-Class doesn't feel that much better than the E-Class (or at least to the extent I experienced) One thing to keep in mind though, the E450 will focus more on luxury and slower shifts with the dual-clutch transmission compared to our torque-converter transmission in the C43.

Since you talked about the CLA, when it came out back in 2014, the CLA 250 engine was co-developed with Renault-Nissan so it technically didn't have a real/full MB engine in it. The reason why the current gen (C118) CLA 45 price is so high is because it is still relatively young in the model years and the C43 (A/C/W205) is phasing out. Dealerships wants to move that inventory out to welcome the next C-Class (W206) in. As for preferring V6 minimum in your car is understandable, I wish they will stick around a little longer before it becomes 0-cylinders (so fully electric). As for the inside of the CLA 45 being cheaper, it makes sense because it is based on the CLA. Interesting insight on the frame not being MB, that I didn't know. The current gen CLA (C118) was based on the MFA2 platform I think, I might be wrong. Interesting comment on the gas tank location, yes I notice that as well, a very Japanese design.

Edit1: Just remember to not get the facelift E450 since it has the inline-6 with the 48V battery, the pfl still uses the C43 engine.

Hopefully they can get it all sorted out with all the issues with the 48V battery!

I really wanted a brand new one but I couldn't afford that price brand new unfortunately.. Though, Back in 2008 at the time I bought a Mazda 3 fully loaded to max for $32,000, after 2 years I got in accident and insurance company paid me just over $9,000. I lost $22,000 in 2 years and I said never again buying new, in the end all cars are depreciating assets, but I do love cars (MB especially) and I do love being the first owner and knowing everything whats done to the car so thats what I miss..I am still hopeful one day I'll order a new MB to all my specs
I bought my 2017 C43 during the pandemic, they had it sitting on the lot for over 3 months, and I went 4 times to the dealer in 5 week period saying I'm interested, they were asking $48k I said my limit was $40k and one day she called saying its been sitting too long, you want it pick it up for $40k so I did
If I did get the PFL E43 AMG I would switch the exhaust tips and diffuser to FL version, I'm not a fan of our oval looking type tips. and also get the FL steering wheel!. I love the quade circle, looks more aggressive. but I honestly love my C43 I was just looking at it today just the the first day I got it, its a fun car and I want to have a C43 for a long time..

Thanks for all the info on different models, you seem to know your stuff! As much as I like the E-class I was thinking today I will stick with C43!
I just saw a sedan 2020 C43 came available so might test drive it this weekend see what its like.. one of my fav things about the FL is the exhaust tips and diffuser! and steering wheel

But true the C-class is considered the "entry" in the MB family but I'm okay with that as I love it. I had my 2007 C230 for over 10 years no problem.

But yeah I'd probably take off the bumperettes if I had a coupe but then have to probably repair if holes to whatever holding it on lol

Interesting, I didn't know the CLA engine was co-developed with Renault-Nissan, learning something new..
Old 06-04-2021, 01:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Hopefully they can get it all sorted out with all the issues with the 48V battery!

I really wanted a brand new one but I couldn't afford that price brand new unfortunately.. Though, Back in 2008 at the time I bought a Mazda 3 fully loaded to max for $32,000, after 2 years I got in accident and insurance company paid me just over $9,000. I lost $22,000 in 2 years and I said never again buying new, in the end all cars are depreciating assets, but I do love cars (MB especially) and I do love being the first owner and knowing everything whats done to the car so thats what I miss..I am still hopeful one day I'll order a new MB to all my specs
I bought my 2017 C43 during the pandemic, they had it sitting on the lot for over 3 months, and I went 4 times to the dealer in 5 week period saying I'm interested, they were asking $48k I said my limit was $40k and one day she called saying its been sitting too long, you want it pick it up for $40k so I did
If I did get the PFL E43 AMG I would switch the exhaust tips and diffuser to FL version, I'm not a fan of our oval looking type tips. and also get the FL steering wheel!. I love the quade circle, looks more aggressive. but I honestly love my C43 I was just looking at it today just the the first day I got it, its a fun car and I want to have a C43 for a long time..

Thanks for all the info on different models, you seem to know your stuff! As much as I like the E-class I was thinking today I will stick with C43!
I just saw a sedan 2020 C43 came available so might test drive it this weekend see what its like.. one of my fav things about the FL is the exhaust tips and diffuser! and steering wheel

But true the C-class is considered the "entry" in the MB family but I'm okay with that as I love it. I had my 2007 C230 for over 10 years no problem.

But yeah I'd probably take off the bumperettes if I had a coupe but then have to probably repair if holes to whatever holding it on lol

Interesting, I didn't know the CLA engine was co-developed with Renault-Nissan, learning something new..
Yes! Hopefully because I still believe in the MB engineers' ability to get this fixed.

I am sorry to hear about the car accident, I am glad you left it uninjured. Sorry for your loss as well, we don't have diminished value claim policies in Canada, unfortunately. After such an event, I have a better understanding on your reason for buying used. I totally understand that you want to keep a car you like/love for a while, that is basically what I am doing, otherwise I would had been leasing vehicles. I am super happy to own what I have (sans a lot of annoying issues mine has that doesn't affect the performance and functionality). I am aware of the advantages of leasing a vehicle in Canada such as included GAP insurance; you are only paying the depreciation of the car during the term, while buying you are paying both depreciation and the remaining cost of the vehicle; can just "walk away" from the lease at the end for cars that was involved in an accident and let the dealership take the loss (knock on wood that you, everyone else here and me don't have to deal with car accidents) ; it is a new vehicle (unless you lease a used one); the ability to buy it out at the agreed residual when signing (so more flexibility but at a higher cost than if you just buy it from the start, thanks to the lease interest cost or aka. cost of borrowing) . I guess the main problem is, you don't own the car if you lease.

I believe you got a great price on your 2017 C43, especially true since the prices of used vehicles went way up this year due to various factors, mostly chip shortage. I think comparable vehicles this year will be in the high 45Ks before tax. So you definitely got a good deal at the right time.

As for the E43, I understand why you want to switch the exhaust tips and diffuser as MB just placed a slat in the middle of the C300 exhaust tips for the C43 pfl and called it a day. I personally prefer the understated look but I totally understand why you prefer the facelift ones. Incase you are still considering or may possibly be considering (because we can't accurately predict the future, and sometimes we change our minds) and that sound really matters, someone started a thread on it: https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...e-exhaust.html
While this member had it done: https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post8349614
Either way though, it is always recommended to test drive the vehicles before committing to it, you want to know if you can get over the weight of the vehicle which causes body roll and other things you might not like.
In my opinion, you can never go wrong with the sound of the C43 with the luxury of the E-Class (with that custom exhaust) (unless you find it inappropriate for the class). Not trying to persuade you to switch or anything : ) It is just another option to look at. I too agree the C43 is the best overall package and which is why I still will keep mine for a while.

Ya, the holes that appears after removing the bumperettes will be annoying for sure. I think a channel called autovlog where he talked about his C63s and how he removed the bumperettes, maybe you should check it out.

Sweet, go ahead and test drive that facelift and let me know your thoughts, I am looking forward to hearing about them!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2017 C43 whining noise steering wheel (Video)