Sponsored by:

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
LED Tail lights

I have the 09 C63 and have successfully lobbied MBUSA for a refund of the top speed delimiter ($1250) on my PP "lite" car. I recently contacted them because the P02 option is supposed to have LED tail lights, in addition to:
1) power rear window shade
2) bi-xenon headlamps
3) corner illum. fog lamps
4) headlamp wash system
Having noticed the SL's LED tail lights, I was disappointed that mine were not similar. MBUSA said they should be on the car. I said they weren't, so they were going to calculate the dollar value of the lights (they said they also must be factory installed). The regional MB rep showed us a powerpoint presentation of the C series LED turn signals (not tail lamps) in the rear lights, and said this is what the order is supposed to include. Yesterday I get a call from the service department asking me to make an appointment to get my rear LED lights installed because they had been ordered and they just arrived.
What's going on? I asked if they were LED in all aspects of the lights, and they said yes. I'm not sure what's happening, but if anyone else has been observant of the lights, please chime in. I am taking it in next week.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997.2 Turbo
Originally Posted by Strafe1
I have the 09 C63 and have successfully lobbied MBUSA for a refund of the top speed delimiter ($1250) on my PP "lite" car. I recently contacted them because the P02 option is supposed to have LED tail lights, in addition to:
2) bi-xenon headlamps
4) headlamp wash system
Having noticed the SL's LED tail lights, I was disappointed that mine were not similar. MBUSA said they should be on the car. I said they weren't, so they were going to calculate the dollar value of the lights (they said they also must be factory installed). The regional MB rep showed us a powerpoint presentation of the C series LED turn signals (not tail lamps) in the rear lights, and said this is what the order is supposed to include. Yesterday I get a call from the service department asking me to make an appointment to get my rear LED lights installed because they had been ordered and they just arrived.
What's going on? I asked if they were LED in all aspects of the lights, and they said yes. I'm not sure what's happening, but if anyone else has been observant of the lights, please chime in. I am taking it in next week.
I don't think the 09 C63 taillights come with full LED like the SL or CLS. I believe only the red turnsignal on the back are LED. Brake light and parking lights are still the old incandescent light bulbs. Which sucks.

But if you're right then that would be awesome as my '09 is due in December.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Originally Posted by Strafe1
2) bi-xenon headlamps
4) headlamp wash system
How did you know that the delimiter wasn't added?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:11 PM

2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by dlbello
How did you know that the delimiter wasn't added?
It was added (so the sticker says). But I argued that charging me for an item that has zero use except on the track, and that they had already omitted the only track-specific items (track setup suspension and brakes), it was wrong to make me pay for it. I agreed the LSD has everyday applications and they agreed to refund me.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 E420 W210, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon
Haha sounds like you are setting them straight. Good job. I would want my LED tail lights too if i had a c63! And you are right, LED turns are not LED Tails, but then again I dont own a c63. But LED tail lights i believe should have at least the brake light LED.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Sounds like you had some miscommunication - by LED tails on the new C they only refer to the turn signal. Which is ridiculous as that light doesn't benefit from a faster spool up time to fully lit - brake is where it is needed, and it sucks we didn't get that. However, that is the official design, NOT all LED.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:50 PM

2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by peet
Sounds like you had some miscommunication - by LED tails on the new C they only refer to the turn signal. Which is ridiculous as that light doesn't benefit from a faster spool up time to fully lit - brake is where it is needed, and it sucks we didn't get that. However, that is the official design, NOT all LED.
What's weird about this, is the service manager checked the shipped parts and he says they are LED in the whole tail light, not just the turn signal. Another thing that makes me think MB messed up initially is that when they itemize all parts of the optional packages on the window sticker, they list every single item just as it is in the ordering guide. Our window stickers do not list the LED tail lights on the sticker. I guess I will find out soon enough!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Post back - if indeed this car is supposed to be all LED - I'm yelling loud and proud as the safety aspect is worth the hassle.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:57 PM

2021 E63 S Sedan
My sales manager called today and he also pulled the lights out of the box. He disagrees with the service manager...it looks to him like there are only LED blinkers in the housing. Called mbusa again, the technical supervisor still thinks they should be LED throughout. If the shipped parts are correct for our car, it doesn't look like mbusa knows what they're talking about. If I learn anything new, I will post.