Sponsored by:

What does Andy @ MPH really know or do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e550 4m
Originally Posted by gsrjc
So I was just reading this thread and wondering if anyone had their AMGs messed up with whatever "tuning" or "reflash" by the manufacturers? I'm hoping that no one ending up blowing a motor or anything else.
not yet - ill go for cruise tonight and let you know....
Old 02-11-2009, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
What is the code JR? I thought this code was something to do with the traction system as the car was bottoming out or skipping through turn 8 under heavy load. I dont want to look like I am trying to defend anyone. I just was wondering what this code was and when it was taking place.

Do both cars in question run h&r springs and have the car sitting lower than stock? Shocks are adjusted stiffer or re-valved? Alignment specs are changed?
JRCart asked me to reply to this.

The cars there that day did both have our H&R spring kit. The shocks were adjusted differently between the car. We have had more then those two cars shut-down on the street and track.

The codes, and the problem, is related to a specific bit of data that was changed by Powerchip in an effort to improve throttle response with the e-gas. However, it has been found that this change not only did not get the desired improvement, but it caused shut-down in 3 known local cars and then Jim's car on track.

The code is not something that is related to a specific turn or aggression with the car. In fact, it shut down on me on a cool down lap at 1/5 throttle. It has happened to JRCart, Jim Brady and SMP on track and SMP has had the problem on the street.

Powerchip acknowledged this issues and is working to rectify it. However, the code kicked is unique to the PC program.

Thanks
Brad
Old 02-11-2009, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
There is definitely very interesting information in this thread, and as it keeps getting better and better, I can't keep myself from leaving this thread

There are a couple of points that are still somewhat un-addressed:

- There are a few members who dynoed the MHP tune and compared it directly to MKB's tune and Powerchip's tune. They even used the same dyno and same operator, and have shown a good difference..... Also, some have showed some improvements on the track not to mention every single one of them felt a HUGE improvement in shift firmness and speed.

I think to experience the full richness of this debate, and to reach a meaningful conclusion, one needs to hear both sides in direct response. Since only one side can be presented here at this time, why not continue this debate on the absolutelydriven forum where Andy can post his responses and maybe both sides can present whatever evidence they have, and let the community judge
Old 02-11-2009, 04:17 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Does anybody know if anyone has claimed the movie rights yet, this keeps getting better?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by jrcart
Maybe someone at Powerchip can chime in on this question.
Jr. I am not trying to disprove anything here. I was just honestly curious given that I know the BS forum had a few threads about this a while back and I thought it had been noted that the issue was with the car under load in turn 8. If it is something with the e-gas code thats totally different. I just wanted to see where the flaw was in the system.

After brads response its clear that there was an issue with the powerchip ecu and that it is resolved. Thats a good way to show MHP did seem to chip your car with the powerchip software.

Thanks for the answer.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
There is definitely very interesting information in this thread, and as it keeps getting better and better, I can't keep myself from leaving this thread

There are a couple of points that are still somewhat un-addressed:

- There are a few members who dynoed the MHP tune and compared it directly to MKB's tune and Powerchip's tune. They even used the same dyno and same operator, and have shown a good difference..... Also, some have showed some improvements on the track not to mention every single one of them felt a HUGE improvement in shift firmness and speed.

I think to experience the full richness of this debate, and to reach a meaningful conclusion, one needs to hear both sides in direct response. Since only one side can be presented here at this time, why not continue this debate on the absolutelydriven forum where Andy can post his responses and maybe both sides can present whatever evidence they have, and let the community judge
As far as I can see all these tuners have very similar power figures for the M156. The C63 was the big ECU king as it as seriously de-tuned at the factory to be slower than the E63. Making a C63 and E63 have the same power really is not difficult. As I have been told the throttle plate on the C63 does not open 100% (a point that I have seen first hand and which Andy told me I was full of bs over) at wot and that is a big contributor to why it is down on power compared to the others. Simply making it run like a E or S63 is a simple task. Going to the next 20 hp is a bit harder but still something many tuners have shown.

I know the latest RENNtech software is very impressive with figures right at the V3 MHP and Powerchips has a tune that is right there as well.

What I am trying to get at is in the latest stage of tune powerchips and RENNtech are very close in power figures. People claim powerchips could have some driveability issues but thats a moot point here. So a car that had the latest version of one tuners software really wont be any better after a swap to a different tuner. The feel or delivery could be different but the outright power figure likely is very close.

As far as shifting goes that is a snake oil. People read all they hype and they expect some big change. Now when you get the car back and you BEAT the daylights out of it with the new ECU it will naturally start shifting better than before. MHP told everyone to drive in manual mode at first and also drive like a mad man. This could be to get the TCU woken up and people fee that as the new shift settings. Its so subjective with shift feel simply because there is no way to "measure" the speed and shift ferocity once you install the MHP tune. People who spent a big chunk of change for this tune might just want to feel a big difference. This could lead to their posts reflecting that subject change in feel. Just a thought.

Point in case is how you can do an ECU reset on the E55 by doing that gas peddle trick. So if that really does something to wipe clean the transmissions stored data pertaining to shift settings the car will feel different or better after you re-set the car and generate new data that is on a more aggressive or dedicated level. But as time goes the transmission will again tune things back a bit as you drive normally in traffic and such. So the action of clearing it out and giving it new aggressive data (or just a very clean copy of data) the car feels better just like the transmission can feel better with the MHP tune.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 02-11-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
This is TCU tuning, or at least one step in tcu tuning.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM

A little Mule
Wow! what a pow wow, I figure I will forked for Brabus $7K+or- get my own mini PC and Flash any time I want to (never to worry about if my engine is going to blow up or not) so its only 50 extra horses so what? Better 501 horses running then 560 dead. Just my 2 cents.

Z
Old 02-11-2009, 05:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
Someone should take a reflasher with a stock file and XYZ's file and do their own back to back on the same dyno within ten minutes of each other. That will quickly get to the bottom of ECU horsepower........
Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
This is TCU tuning, or at least one step in tcu tuning.

I recognize that desk......................
Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
As far as I can see all these tuners have very similar power figures for the M156. The C63 was the big ECU king as it as seriously de-tuned at the factory to be slower than the E63. Making a C63 and E63 have the same power really is not difficult. As I have been told the throttle plate on the C63 does not open 100% (a point that I have seen first hand and which Andy told me I was full of bs over) at wot and that is a big contributor to why it is down on power compared to the others. Simply making it run like a E or S63 is a simple task. Going to the next 20 hp is a bit harder but still something many tuners have shown.

I know the latest RENNtech software is very impressive with figures right at the V3 MHP and Powerchips has a tune that is right there as well.

What I am trying to get at is in the latest stage of tune powerchips and RENNtech are very close in power figures. People claim powerchips could have some driveability issues but thats a moot point here. So a car that had the latest version of one tuners software really wont be any better after a swap to a different tuner. The feel or delivery could be different but the outright power figure likely is very close.
This is right on. CynCarving - are we starting to agree on things, the world must be nearing end! lol.

In fact, none of the 63 based cars open the TB 100%. The C63 opens by far the least of them all. Anyone who debates this has never done any R&D or data logging on these cars - PERIOD.

Tuning is not some black art. Any good automotive tuner with the right equipment will get to basically the same results. Some sooner then others depending on the experience and R&D put toward the project. However, there are only so many variables that one can modify. If 10 tuners all with the same skill had the same resources and equipment, they would all get basically the same power results.

The subjective differences are really starting to occur with e-gas. With electronic throttle, you can manipulate the ramping effect (how quick the TB opens compared to the angle of the foot pedal). This can give the perception of more or less power then another tune - and this is VERY subjective. What one customer likes, the next might not like. That being said, the power will be the same, it is just the "feeling" of differences.

Thanks
Brad
Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
I must say I have watched this thread and found it sometimes informative and sometimes entertaining. I think the posts by Tim are some of the most informative I have read on this subject and while I don't think Andy is outright lying about the tuning he can provide for faster/firmer shifts, etc, I do think that it is clear he is not tuning the actual TCU.

As others have stated before, he advertised a product/service with specific benefits provided and at least some of his customers have been happy with what they received for their money. (I did not buy the MHP tune as I went with Renntech.) In the end if the customer is happy with what they got then so be it. The knew the price going in and had certain expectations that seem to have been met. That's really all you can ask for in any business transaction. The only business dealing I have had with Andy was on the GB for the CF airboxes and he was straight up and a great person to deal with on that transaction. I would do business with him again based on that experience.

Anyway, I think we all need to simply take the information presented to us in this post or any other for that matter and make our own decisions based on it.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Great post.

Originally Posted by otoupalik
This is right on. CynCarving - are we starting to agree on things, the world must be nearing end! lol.

In fact, none of the 63 based cars open the TB 100%. The C63 opens by far the least of them all. Anyone who debates this has never done any R&D or data logging on these cars - PERIOD.

Tuning is not some black art. Any good automotive tuner with the right equipment will get to basically the same results. Some sooner then others depending on the experience and R&D put toward the project. However, there are only so many variables that one can modify. If 10 tuners all with the same skill had the same resources and equipment, they would all get basically the same power results.

The subjective differences are really starting to occur with e-gas. With electronic throttle, you can manipulate the ramping effect (how quick the TB opens compared to the angle of the foot pedal). This can give the perception of more or less power then another tune - and this is VERY subjective. What one customer likes, the next might not like. That being said, the power will be the same, it is just the "feeling" of differences.

Thanks
Brad
Old 02-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BG Tuning
Okay again alot of missinformation and out right untruths, I do the tuning for MHP, We do not need or do we use or resell powerchips/LET/Rentech/Kleemen/Evosport/ Etc... files or tunes, we have 100% access to the ecu not 70% or 80% like others, I think it is a injustace for other companies to ask for our tunes so they can look at them. I don't need or care to see other tuner stuff, I trust my own tuning ability. If a customer has an issue with our tunes they can send it back and I will retune or adjust,,The fact is we have tuned multiple vehicles with excellent results, both in engine performance and transmission shifting performance. With posted so everyone can see dyno results/track times/and pure out driveability. We have even tuned vehicles with other vendors prevoius tunes and have had them do unbias a/b comparisions. We have had no problem calling out other tuners for a shoot out, which we have multiple times in the past and nobody showed up to disput our results. We have had nothing to hide and Andy has been more than fair showing our results and improvments as we have progressed and made updates. If we made a misstake we are human and will fix. If by chance a ECU did not get tuned it wasn't done on purpose and again I have no problem making it right. It is a said issue that if by chance a ECU went out undone that people and or other vendors right away want to say we are frauds or selling other vendors stuff, all you vendors or socalled experts should be ashamed for allowing this mess to get to the point is it at. That is a complete untruth and outright slander. I have been tuning vehicles for over 20 years and have tuned probly every package avalible, Hell they said on the Lexus forum that I could not tune a new ISF so I tuned it for them, or that I could not tune a Toyota truck so I tuned it for them also. I don't have the time or space to be pulled into this mess. Again We have had nothing to hide and will continue to keep on showing our results.
Good points all!

I guess the other tuners can flame back. Now who is ready for round three or is it five.

-Troy
Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Does this mean the MHP 180F thermostats is really 179F or maybe even 181F!

-Troy

Last edited by Glock Guru; 02-11-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 PM

e550 4m
wait a second ... this thread is about a Andy at MPH - pheeewwww I thought my tune was bunk.

Proceed.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by otoupalik

Thanks
Brad
Ahh very interesting, this "e-gas (how quick the TB opens compared to the angle of the foot pedal)." Sounds exactly like an ECU cotrolled Sprint Booster..
Great post!
Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Banned

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Thericker
Ahh very interesting, this "e-gas (how quick the TB opens compared to the angle of the foot pedal)." Sounds exactly like an ECU cotrolled Sprint Booster..
Great post!
It's very easy to reprogram the throttle gain. It's one way a "tooner" makes you think there is more power
Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
It's very easy to reprogram the throttle gain. It's one way a "tooner" makes you think there is more power
That explains the "Pulling like a train feeling" some people have experienced with there tunes
Old 02-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Banned

2004 E55
Originally Posted by dlbello
That explains the "Pulling like a train feeling" some people have experienced with there tunes
If you snap the throttle open down low and add some timing you can kick the driver in the *** coming out of the hole making him think the car is making huge horsepower when it's not
Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
If you snap the throttle open down low and add some timing you can kick the driver in the *** coming out of the hole making him think the car is making huge horsepower when it's not
let me guess that works on a dyno as well rite.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Banned

2004 E55
Originally Posted by mthis
let me guess that works on a dyno as well rite.
Ayup
Old 02-11-2009, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Ayup
so what u saying is that (my car STOCK made 375rwhp SAE and with MHP tune made 421rwhp SAE.) the gain of 46rwhp SAE is b.s and just fake hp? make this clear i just got home from 13 hours of working?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:01 AM

M5, C63, 335Ci
Originally Posted by mthis
so what u saying is that (my car STOCK made 375rwhp SAE and with MHP tune made 421rwhp SAE.) the gain of 46rwhp SAE is b.s and just fake hp? make this clear i just got home from 13 hours of working?
As stated in my earlier post, MHP's tunes make power and from what I can tell their customers are satified with what they have purchased.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by qship5
As stated in my earlier post, MHP's tunes make power and from what I can tell their customers are satified with what they have purchased.
i know i have the tune in my car.

edit: im one of does very happy customers. i acually love the tcu tune that he has done for me, thanks dave and andy.

edit again: sorry its not called a tcu, i dont care if its s*** on a stick to me it works.

Last edited by mthis; 02-12-2009 at 12:08 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What does Andy @ MPH really know or do?