ESP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
ESP

Quick question for the 'more experienced' C63 AMG drivers...

If you want to 'test' out your (non PP, non-LSD) C63 AMG and do a couple runs with your accelerometer (or at the track), what ESP setting do you use...ESP auto (if that's even a setting), on, sport, or off? What are the differences?

I did a couple runs without touching the ESP button (whoops, I forgot to switch it ) and obviously got major intervention, bogging, and some seriously bad times, lol.

Thanks.

Last edited by sflgator; 08-01-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:55 AM

ESP full off. hold down until off completely
Old 08-01-2009, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by wankeldude
ESP full off. hold down until off completely
Wouldn't the wheels just spin out of control then? What does the ESP "Sport" setting do...does it allow for some intervention, but raise the threshold for intervention?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG P30 + OE Tuning
best thing to get to know your vehicle is to test out all 3 settings when at a track with a controlled environment.. esp on, sports and off..

esp sports has a higher tolerance level than esp on, where the computer kicks in to ensure that your vehicle does not slide left, right and center at higher speeds..

having esp off = pure driver skills and confidence is required to handle the vehicle..

take your time to you know your C63.. try out some advance driving lessons too.. you'll appreciate the engineering better that way

just my 2 cents worth..
Old 08-01-2009, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by yazid
best thing to get to know your vehicle is to test out all 3 settings when at a track with a controlled environment.. esp on, sports and off..

esp sports has a higher tolerance level than esp on, where the computer kicks in to ensure that your vehicle does not slide left, right and center at higher speeds..

having esp off = pure driver skills and confidence is required to handle the vehicle..

take your time to you know your C63.. try out some advance driving lessons too.. you'll appreciate the engineering better that way

just my 2 cents worth..
Good advice. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by sflgator
Good advice. Thanks.
you should take that advice thats the only way to learn.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mthis
you should take that advice thats the only way to learn.
Yes, well, in my tuned BMW 335i, the best way to launch was to push the DTC button one quick time to put traction control "on," which does turn it on but also raises the threshold for intervention. So, there was a little wheel spin, but it would quickly gain traction and giddy-up. ;-) If I turned DTC completely "off," it would only spin like crazy and get no traction for a bad launch. I just wanted to know if this is similar in the C63 while ESP is in the "sport" setting.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Just remember that even in ESP-Off mode, the instant you touch your brake pedal, ESP is re-activated again.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by sflgator
Yes, well, in my tuned BMW 335i, the best way to launch was to push the DTC button one quick time to put traction control "on," which does turn it on but also raises the threshold for intervention. So, there was a little wheel spin, but it would quickly gain traction and giddy-up. ;-) If I turned DTC completely "off," it would only spin like crazy and get no traction for a bad launch. I just wanted to know if this is similar in the C63 while ESP is in the "sport" setting.
esp sport is just like dtc. if that helps
Old 08-02-2009, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Just remember that even in ESP-Off mode, the instant you touch your brake pedal, ESP is re-activated again.
I thought it's only active for the duration you are on the brake, then when you release the brake pedal again it's off. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
Interesting...on mine (09 model bought in Canada), the break pedal does not switch on the ESP. It keeps its setting (off or sport). Do you think it's because in an 09 model or because it's a Canadian edition?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:48 PM

2012 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
Interesting...on mine (09 model bought in Canada), the break pedal does not switch on the ESP. It keeps its setting (off or sport). Do you think it's because in an 09 model or because it's a Canadian edition?
Mine either... 09 model Taiwan
Old 08-03-2009, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
as soon as breaks apply the esp kicks on but the light stays off. read the owners man.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 PM

2014 Lotus Evora S
I played with the ESP setting today and after a few tests, it is quite clear that the brake pedal does not change the ESP setting. It is the most obvious if you turn it off. After breaking, I can still get the wheels to spin, something I can't do if the ESP is on. I reread the manual and understood that if the brake HARD, the ESP turns on while you brake.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:28 PM

C63, SLK, F150
My 2 cents.
I have been so completly out of control with my car in esp OFF mode. Fishtailing like a *&%$ and thought I would be in the wall. I tried everything I know to straighten it , gasing it, stearing, everything, and NO LUCK wall coming quick. I did a hard brake complete to the floor, and stright wheel and the car came around. It straightned up and came to a good safe stop. To me it did seem the ESP kicked on or something helped to correct the car to straighten up and stop fishtailing. After I got the car stopped I did floor it and the tires broke loose again and the ESP was off and could tell it was off. Even under hard braking the ESP will go back to its set position you selected. If it changes to "on" under critical situations, like A$$ savers, I am not sure but sure seems like it, but will go back to preselected modes. Thats just my observation. Maybe more expeiranced drivers can say more.
Be safe.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 PM

2005 G35
Normal braking does not turn my ESP back on either. You can toggle through the display screens to see that ESP is still off or not. I think it is in the AMG section if you scroll through.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:56 AM

C63, SLK, F150
Yes normal braking does not turn ESP back on. Even puttin gin park or revers does not turn it back on. Only thing to reactivate the ESP from OFF mode is to phyisicly turn it on or shut the engine off and then restart it again.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by mthis
as soon as breaks apply the esp kicks on but the light stays off. read the owners man.
Must be an 08 thing. My ESP stays off even after breaks are applied. If your saying its on during the duration the break pedal is pressed I have no way to verify other than the manual of course and I didn't read that anywhere.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 AM

2014 Lotus Evora S
Agree. It must be an 08 thing. Many reviews criticized this fact at the time. They may have fixed it in the 09 version. In my 09, even though the dash board does not show it is off during hard breaking, according to the manual, the ESP may be working but there's no way to tell unless you can reach the point that you can feel it or go through a painful experience like pmknapp.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
If you hit the brakes while spinning the tires the ESP will come on and safe you. ESP doesn't stay on though, it continues to stay off.

ESP ON - Wont allow spinning of the tires and controls engine torque in tight turns.
ESP SPORT - Will allow the back end to spin slightly, but not out of control.
ESP OFF - Will allow you to spin continuously. If the brakes are hit during a spin or while the back end is out hard, it will kick in then go back off once your off the brakes.

I drive with ESP off all the time.

You definitely need ESP off at the track otherwise it will come on and wreck your times. Learn throttle control to stop wheel spin.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM

C63, SLK, F150
Originally Posted by Merc63
If you hit the brakes while spinning the tires the ESP will come on and safe you. ESP doesn't stay on though, it continues to stay off.

ESP ON - Wont allow spinning of the tires and controls engine torque in tight turns.
ESP SPORT - Will allow the back end to spin slightly, but not out of control.
ESP OFF - Will allow you to spin continuously. If the brakes are hit during a spin or while the back end is out hard, it will kick in then go back off once your off the brakes.

I drive with ESP off all the time.

You definitely need ESP off at the track otherwise it will come on and wreck your times. Learn throttle control to stop wheel spin.
Yes, that is what I seem to experiance. I also drive in ESP off 90% of the time. Love it. but I agree with you here Save you when hit the brakes hard and back to preselected position (which in my case was "OFF") when off the brakes.
Be safe