C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to performance vehicles. Explaination on limited slip differential please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
New to performance vehicles. Explaination on limited slip differential please.

Could someone explain to me the positives and negatives of limited slip?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+does+a+limi...ferential+work
Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Let me google thta for you
Old 09-10-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by superlubricity
Haha!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
funny I thought forums were to help people and answer questions rather than make fun of people and withhold info...... I understand the question is pretty newbish (especially for someone who supposedly drive a 2011 C63) but we all have asked silly questions in the past and probably will in the future. either way here ya go:

Advantages of a limited slip differential
  1. Limited slip differentials have many advantages over open differentials. Limited slip differentials offer more control in tight corners and reduce many road hazards potentially encountered in inclement weather. The invention of limited slip differentials has made it possible to control the drive force that is allocated to each wheel from the engine. The ability to control each wheel makes it easier steer the car when rounding corner and allows for steadier speeds. These benefits are most noticeable in smaller sports cars at high speeds. Limited slip differentials are used in many types of vehicles for a variety of reasons.
  2. Limited slip differentials offer more control when rounding corners or other situations in which the car may be sliding. When a vehicle rounds a corner, imagine that it is making an arc with the tires---the inside pair of wheels is traveling much slower than the out side pair of wheels. This speed difference can cause drive wheels to get out of sync with each other and force the differential to slip to pair them back up. Limited slip differentials allocate power to meet the current speed requirements of each wheel, offering more control when turning and less wear on the differential. Turning control is one of the most important control factors in a vehicle.
  3. Due to the increased control that limited slip differentials provide, safety is increased exponentially. When turning around a corner in wet or slippery conditions, if a wheel spins out do to a differential slip, it can cause the vehicle to veer and a driver could possibly lose control. Limited slip helps keep the wheels in check and reduce slippage in inclement conditions. Limited slip can also help the driver recover from a hydroplane in wet road conditions and reduce the chance of a spinout and possible accident.
  4. Limited slip differentials offer the best power efficiency for sports cars. When sports cars round corners at high speeds, a differential slip can slow the car down considerably. This power loss can be considerable in situations where the driver is trying to achieve high performance from the vehicle. Limited slip also offers a greater amount of traction, which increases the speed and performance of the vehicle.
Hope this helps
Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
off topic, khmergod... are you from Cambodia? I'm also Cambodian... welcome to the forum & hope you will enjoy the infos here as much as your new 2011 C63.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
funny I thought forums were to help people and answer questions rather than make fun of people and withhold info...... I understand the question is pretty newbish (especially for someone who supposedly drive a 2011 C63) but we all have asked silly questions in the past and probably will in the future. either way here ya go:

1. Limited slip differentials have many advantages over open differentials. Limited slip differentials offer more control in tight corners and reduce many road hazards potentially encountered in inclement weather. The invention of limited slip differentials has made it possible to control the drive force that is allocated to each wheel from the engine. The ability to control each wheel makes it easier steer the car when rounding corner and allows for steadier speeds. These benefits are most noticeable in smaller sports cars at high speeds. Limited slip differentials are used in many types of vehicles for a variety of reasons.
  2. Limited slip differentials offer more control when rounding corners or other situations in which the car may be sliding. When a vehicle rounds a corner, imagine that it is making an arc with the tires---the inside pair of wheels is traveling much slower than the out side pair of wheels. This speed difference can cause drive wheels to get out of sync with each other and force the differential to slip to pair them back up. Limited slip differentials allocate power to meet the current speed requirements of each wheel, offering more control when turning and less wear on the differential. Turning control is one of the most important control factors in a vehicle.
  3. Due to the increased control that limited slip differentials provide, safety is increased exponentially. When turning around a corner in wet or slippery conditions, if a wheel spins out do to a differential slip, it can cause the vehicle to veer and a driver could possibly lose control. Limited slip helps keep the wheels in check and reduce slippage in inclement conditions. Limited slip can also help the driver recover from a hydroplane in wet road conditions and reduce the chance of a spinout and possible accident.
  4. Limited slip differentials offer the best power efficiency for sports cars. When sports cars round corners at high speeds, a differential slip can slow the car down considerably. This power loss can be considerable in situations where the driver is trying to achieve high performance from the vehicle. Limited slip also offers a greater amount of traction, which increases the speed and performance of the vehicle.
Hope this helps
I certainly did not withhold info. In fact, I provided a link where a ton of very relevant info can be found. My link also reminded the OP that simple searches yield very good results.

After all, you Googled it on your own. That's how you discovered (and then copied and pasted from) this -> http://www.ehow.com/list_6330128_adv...ferential.html

Old 09-11-2010, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I certainly did not withhold info. In fact, I provided a link where a ton of very relevant info can be found. My link also reminded the OP that simple searches yield very good results.

After all, you Googled it on your own. That's how you discovered (and then copied and pasted from) this -> http://www.ehow.com/list_6330128_adv...ferential.html

Correct

P.S the link to Google was classic
Old 09-11-2010, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info, I tried reading wikipedia but they were using techie language I didn't understand quite well. I don't actually drive it yet. It was ordered 9/10/10, with all available options including p31, and of course limited slip. Should be coming within 3 months...the torture is unbearable.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by Roswell
off topic, khmergod... are you from Cambodia? I'm also Cambodian... welcome to the forum & hope you will enjoy the infos here as much as your new 2011 C63.
That I am. Well met and hope to see you around the forums.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 S550 4MATIC, 2007 R-350

Old 09-11-2010, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Gotta hand it to you, that was pretty funny. superlubricity-1, khmergod-0
Old 09-11-2010, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Good to have a sense of humor. Just a friendly push in the right direction.

Not a contest, no one is keeping score.

Welcome to mbworld.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
First lesson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw7...eature=related

Then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PoocIsiV2c

And:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPRvz...eature=related

Followed by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjuBCgPU9w

And:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWkTk...eature=related

Finally:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPgpYux8HJQ
Old 09-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 63 2008
C63

Hope this helps

Do you know how to do this smoke C63 tires while the Car is standing Still?
like in this Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc-w3...eature=related

how to do it?

Off ESP is it ?

then what next ?
Old 09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DanielDaniel7
Do you know how to do this smoke C63 tires while the Car is standing Still?
like in this Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc-w3...eature=related

how to do it?

Off ESP is it ?

then what next ?
Plenty of info in this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...burn-outs.html