C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 AFE Filters / Charcoal Delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
C63 AFE Filters / Charcoal Delete

Just to be sure, this video is a DIY of a charcoal delete correct? meaning the charcoal filter is the thing he has to slide out of the top

I ordered some AFE filters, so I'm going to remove everything from the airbox, correct? and then drop the new air filters in right? including sliding that thing out from the top? (which I assume is what the charcoal part is)?

Just trying to understand the odds and ends of this car.

Thanks All
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 AM

2011 C63 AMG
Yes, I recently did this to my car with the AFE Pro Dry s filters. I have an OE Tune so I haven't had any CEL light problems. So far so good, car has a little more growl on cold startup.

That was the video I watched be fore doing it myself, though I had taken my air box apart before. The charcoal filters slide out pretty easily.

Make sure you keep the charcoal filters as you can't buy them separately in case you ever need to put them back for any reason.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 AM

2010 C63
will removing the charcoal filters and swapping AFE Dry Filters cause a CEL?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 AM

2011 C63 AMG
Swapping the filters won't cause a CEL, however I have read the other threads on removing the charcoal filters and some have reported that it can cause a CEL light. Try it and see what happens, you can always put them back if a CEL arises. Just make sure you properly put the AFE filters and have a good tight seal with the air box.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 AM

2010 C63
would love to know more on this...
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Originally Posted by xcharlesy
would love to know more on this...
Essentially, with DRY filters and charcoal filter deletes the CEL comes on because there is 'missing' space in the air box. The computer reads this as an error, but this usually goes away after driving for a while. I deleted my charcoal filters but left the OEM paper filters (while deciding what performance filters to get; Weistec) and the CEL came on and went away after a couple weeks of driving.

However, with OILED filters, the CEL comes on for the above reason, OR because there is oil fouling the MAF sensor.

But yes, that video above is the way to do it. And definitely save the charcoal filters because it's really hard to find another set to purchase. My independent Mercedes guy actually has never seen these charcoal filters before, so this tells you how uncommon the charcoal filters are.

Source: things I've gathered from multiple threads on this forum.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 AM

2010 C63
What if I keep the charcoal filters in, but swap the paper filters for AFE Dry Filters, will I have a CEL at all?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:28 AM

09 C63, 11 Cayenne S
You will not get a cel if the air box is seated correctly and no oil gets on the maf sensor. AFE filters don't use oil so you are good there. Just make sure the filter is seated correctly in the box, don't put the charcoal filters back in and you should be good to go.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by shades
You will not get a cel if the air box is seated correctly and no oil gets on the maf sensor. AFE filters don't use oil so you are good there. Just make sure the filter is seated correctly in the box, don't put the charcoal filters back in and you should be good to go.
Wait, So if I take the charcoal filters out and swap the paper filter with the AFE Dry Filter, I won't have a CEL?

Im just trying to avoid the CEL, I'm not sure if I should remove the charcoal or not, it seems like if I keep the charcoal in and swap the paper filter for the AFE I'll be good.

Can anyone share some more info?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM

'09 C63
TBH, the CEL coming on from charcoal deletes, and putting in dry filters doesn't mean there's something wrong with the engine. Like I said before, the CEL WILL go away after driving for a while. But I'm guessing you don't like driving with a CEL staring at you the entire time.

And if you are going with performance dry filters, not deleting the charcoals would be counter-productive; borderline pointless.

To answer your question about the CEL coming on after you delete the charcoals and put in the AFE dry filters, the CEL may or may not come on. If it does, there's nothing mechanically wrong. It's just the computer sensing an increase in space in the airbox, which the ECU will eventually adapt to. This is when the CEL goes away.

I hope this helps a bit.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by tfthach13
TBH, the CEL coming on from charcoal deletes, and putting in dry filters doesn't mean there's something wrong with the engine. Like I said before, the CEL WILL go away after driving for a while. But I'm guessing you don't like driving with a CEL staring at you the entire time.

And if you are going with performance dry filters, not deleting the charcoals would be counter-productive; borderline pointless.

To answer your question about the CEL coming on after you delete the charcoals and put in the AFE dry filters, the CEL may or may not come on. If it does, there's nothing mechanically wrong. It's just the computer sensing an increase in space in the airbox, which the ECU will eventually adapt to. This is when the CEL goes away.

I hope this helps a bit.
I understand, but you are absolutely sure the CEL will go away?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 PM

09 C63, 11 Cayenne S
Brotha throw it in there and forget about it. You won't get a cel. There were a lot of guys having problems with the filter because either improper installation or oil on the maf sensor. If one of the air boxes are not seated correctly the maf will sense more air or less air coming in from one of the boxes and throw a cel because it's out of parameter from the other.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM

2010 C63
Brotha throw it in there and forget about it. You won't get a cel. There were a lot of guys having problems with the filter because either improper installation or oil on the maf sensor. If one of the air boxes are not seated correctly the maf will sense more air or less air coming in from one of the boxes and throw a cel because it's out of parameter from the other.
So I should remove the charcoal filter as well and just be extra careful with the install?

I've heard several people tell me no CEL, but I didn't inquire as to if they slid the charcoal filter out or not.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 PM

09 C63, 11 Cayenne S
Yes take out the charcoal filter and just use the AFE filter. It will take you all of 10 mins to change them out and put in the AFE filters.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 PM

2010 C63
Yes take out the charcoal filter and just use the AFE filter. It will take you all of 10 mins to change them out and put in the AFE filters.
Will do, hope I have no CEL or it is short lived
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 PM

09 C63, 11 Cayenne S
You should be fine bro. If they do come on, just double check your boxes and if all is well, just. Leave it there and your ECU will do the rest to compensate for more air coming into the engine. Let us know how it works out
Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 PM

'09 C63
You should be fine bro. If they do come on, just double check your boxes and if all is well, just. Leave it there and your ECU will do the rest to compensate for more air coming into the engine. Let us know how it works out
+1
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM

2010 C63
Will do, really hope all is well
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Coupe
I did this the week that I got my car. No issues at all.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by Jason Anthony
I did this the week that I got my car. No issues at all.
lets hope thats not a 2k13 thing
Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
I have a 2010 with AFE filters and charcoal delete. No CELs.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM

'09 C63
I have an addendum to what I said about the charcoal deletes.

It might be because of my specific set up, but I recently dropped in the new Weistec air filters and I had quite a bit of hesitation issues upon acceleration.

Again, I think this is due to my specific set up. NO FAULT on Weistec's part because the filters look and feel amazing!

I have a tune from Velos Designwerks. I've been using stock paper filters with the charcoal deletes; no problems with hesitation, exception being the CEL came on. It went away after about 100 miles.

When I went to switch the stock paper filters with the Weistec ones, I had a whole bunch of hesitation with acceleration. I added the charcoals back in, and the problem went away. There was even a slight bump in fuel economy.

With that being said, I think the problem lies in the "mismatch" of performance upgrades.

Anyways, what I wanted to say is that the CEL problem may lie in the charcoal filters. So if problems do arise, try putting them back in. That may solve any problems with CEL or hesitation. But then again, each car may react differently.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 PM

2010 C63
I think most people say, if this is your first engine mod (which it is for me) once you remove the charcoal filters and replace the paper with AFE, it should be fine with NO CEL, if the CEL does comes on, it should go away after some time, just make sure everything is sealed up and secure.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:08 AM

2011 C63 Calcite White
Just wondering if there is noticeable sound gain if I change to K&N filters: such as Start up, cruising, idling ?

Also I suppose it will be a little noticeable speed gain like removing the secondary cats..

Where do you purchase K&N filter? from this site: http://www.carid.com/2011-mercedes-c...rs-320284.html ?

I'm in Canada so anyone know better sites or place to buy these

thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
make sure you get the dry filters. The oiled ones might drip and cause the CEL.

You won't notice much gains. It just gets a tad louder.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 AFE Filters / Charcoal Delete