Mobil Jet oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GTR R35 1300whp, C63 Weistec stage 3
Lightbulb Mobil Jet oil

Hello guys

There any chance i could use oil from aviation ? seems it very stable at high temperature.....

http://lubsboutic.co...IL-1-JET-OIL-II
Old 03-11-2015, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
I wouldnt. That stuff requires seals and things to be of a certain grade or it can eat them. Stick with automotive oil.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Are you for real??? With two souped up cars in your garage judging by your siganture, I would think that you would at least have a rudimentary idea of what oil does and what are the lubrication requirements of an internal combustion engine and an oil designed to lubricate jet turbine engines. If you want the specs, they are here - http://www.exxonmobil.com/USA-Englis...et_Oil_II.aspx. You might as well put lavender oil with a touch of coriander in your crankcase as it will at least smell nice for the first 2 minutes before the engine seizes. You have spent money on two souped-up cars, you know how to post here so can obviously type and use the Internet, but you can't spend 10 minues of your time and do a Google search on engine oil basics? Try this: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...QuChp&submit=y or Google "jet oil in cars". And, I gather this must have been written about you: http://jalopnik.com/5938552/why-you-...el-in-your-car.

I really can't believe that people that are (car) entusiasts can actually be THAT ignorant about the objects of their enthusiasm.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
I use that stuff every day at work, the detergents in it will DESTROY seals and burn. I highly discourage this idea.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
I use it too, even in the car... to lubricate hinges and latches.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Unfortunately, money doesn't always equals brains.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Mobil Jet Oil II is factory specified in AMG's IHI-sourced superchargers.

Sure wouldn't use it in the sump, though. :crazy:

Mobil Jet oil-mobil-20jet-20oil-20ii.jpg
photo credit kjlindgr

Mobil Jet oil-superchargerlubricantb.jpg
Old 03-14-2015, 02:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
^^ Interesting. Never knew that.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by splinter
Mobil Jet Oil II is factory specified in AMG's IHI-sourced superchargers.

Sure wouldn't use it in the sump, though.

<pics removed>
Exactly - a supercharger is a turbine... but most definitley not in the engine.

Last edited by Diabolis; 03-14-2015 at 06:14 AM. Reason: pics removed
Old 03-15-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Originally Posted by alpha26
Hello guys

There any chance i could use oil from aviation ? seems it very stable at high temperature.....

http://lubsboutic.co...IL-1-JET-OIL-II
Man I wish that were the case, would make my oil changes a LOT cheaper
Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
In Nam we had problems with people stealing our oil for turbine engines in Hueys etc.
They would use it to cook with. Killed a lot of them.
The stuff was watery thing but slick. Cans rusted through from moisture, stored in metal lockers, in the air because it did not handle moisture that well.
Seals for the oil different were composition the dyno oil.
Things have changed a lot but I would just buy Redline or one of the European Ester based synthetics. Mobil One which only some has some real synthetic cost are nearing what full ester based oil costs.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:59 AM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
I was very surprised how some people on here were rude to the OP. I think he asked a reasonable question and some people nicely told him not to use Turbine Oil because of the detergents reacting poorly with the seals. That was the right answer, but there was no reason for other people to say the OP was stupid.

In fact, I could be just as rude to the poster that said the supercharger is a turbine. Not true, superchargers are either a roots blower, a Lysholm screw compressor, or a centrifugal compressor, but it is never a turbine. A turbine is the opposite of a compressor. A compressor takes power to increase the pressure of the air going through it. A turbine makes power from higher temp/pressure air going through it and expanding/cooling it.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by glennhl
I was very surprised how some people on here were rude to the OP. I think he asked a reasonable question and some people nicely told him not to use Turbine Oil because of the detergents reacting poorly with the seals. That was the right answer, but there was no reason for other people to say the OP was stupid.

In fact, I could be just as rude to the poster that said the supercharger is a turbine. Not true, superchargers are either a roots blower, a Lysholm screw compressor, or a centrifugal compressor, but it is never a turbine. A turbine is the opposite of a compressor. A compressor takes power to increase the pressure of the air going through it. A turbine makes power from higher temp/pressure air going through it and expanding/cooling it.
If you are referring to my post, since when did it become poilitically or socially incorrect to call a spade a spade or in this case someone's gross ignorance just that? When did this become a kindergaten where the kids' fragile ego are so precious that it is forbidden to tell them that they're are miserably failing at something and that they really need to put some thought into it? And, for the record, I didn't call him stupid - I called him ignorant. I have sincere sympathy for stupid people, because that's what God (or nature depending on your beliefs) gave them, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for them because in general they tend to apply themselves 100% at whatever it is they do and they give it all they've got. Stupidity implies the inability to understand. Ignorance on the other hand simply implies a lack of understanding, but not because of one's inability to understand but rather their attitude or laziness.

The OP wasn't asking whether one particular brand of oil is better than another, or the relative merits of one formulation over another. That would have indeed been a much diferent and more productive discussion. No, he asked if he could put jet turbine oil in his cars because someone told him it was stable at high temperatures. Now, by his very participation on this board, he is a car entusiast at the very least - not someone's grandmother who might have mistaken the windshield washer fluid filler cap for the coolant overfill tank. It is no different from, say, an experienced tennis player asking if he could use golf ***** instead to play tennis because he heard they were smaller, ligher and easier to hit with a big racquet. Yes, I do hold the OP with his massaged and souped up cars (or the experienced tennis player) to a SLIGHTLY higher standard than the grandmother who has never seen what's underneath the hood of the car, so I do expect some level of basic knowledge about cars (or tennis as the case may be). Seeing as cars are something he is presumably passionate about and furthermore he is not stupid because otherwise he would not have either of those two souped-up cars, I do indeed expect people to spend 10 minutes of their life to learn a little bit about thier own passions and use a search engine (or God forbid, read a book) for the answer to a rather rudimentary question instead of asking everyone in a public forum to spend their time and just give them the answer. It is extemely rude and unfair towards people like you and I who do spend our discertionary time on the board helping others (and being helped ourselves when we need it) by asking a question that only a six-year-old would entertain for more than a few seconds. So, seeing as we are all car enthusiasts on this board, where do we draw the line? At what point do we say "sorry, but this is over the line and you need to do some basic research on your own first"? When someone asks if they can crazy-glue a Toyota wheel on their C63 because they got a flat tire right across a Toyota delership and the Toyota wheel that they can buy there won't bolt on? When someone asks what command they need to use to tell the car to turn left?

As for the turbine, you are abslutely correct - a supercharger is not a turbine in the strict English sense of the word as it doesn't extract kinetic energy from a fluid flow, but rather uses kinetic enregy to create fluid flow. In effect, it is a turbine operating in reverse. My apologies for my mistake - English isn't my first language, and in my native one the term "turbine" does in fact mean a device that converts kinetic energy to/from fluid flow, but the direction itself is irrelevant. In English, when operated the other way it is indeed a compressor, in the same way that an electric DC motor is a generator when operated the other way but they are given different names despite the fact that mecahically they are the same device. Sorry for the mistake and thank you for the correction.

Last edited by Diabolis; 03-17-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Originally Posted by Diabolis
If you are referring to my post, since when did it become poilitically or socially incorrect to call a spade a spade or in this case someone's gross ignorance just that? When this this become a kindergaten where the kids' fragile ego are so precious that it is forbidden to tell them that they're are miserably failing at somethign and that they really need to pout some thought into it?
Just as it may have been wise of you to place some thought into the fact you weren't born with what knowledge you posses, including a rudimentary grasp on spelling and couth.

To blast the op for asking (what is in your opinion) a dumb question, to only then follow-up with a venom-laced answer sure calls to question what your real issue is.

I'd recommend having a trip to the rest room for a yank or two.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rob CL
Just as it may have been wise of you to place some thought into the fact you weren't born with what knowledge you posses, including a rudimentary grasp on spelling and couth.

To blast the op for asking (what is in your opinion) a dumb question, to only then follow-up with a venom-laced answer sure calls to question what your real issue is.

I was on my way there, but I coudn't get in because you were still in it with your boyfriend.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Originally Posted by Rob CL

LOL! That's some funny S H I T there!!!