C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

EBD, ABS and ESC Inoperative - Also no power steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
In my case, every single sensor is reporting legit data. The ESP module (N30/4) has an internal fault. I've seen a 5945 but mostly the 5001 DTC.

I've tried cleaning the pins with contact cleaner which did jack. I think before, simply reseating to connector fixed the issue.

I'm going to yank the module and open it up over the weekend. Could be something simple thats noticeable on the PCB. A few indy places sell refurbished units so it can't be all that complicated to fix. It gets hot as fuçk under there with lots of vibration and I don't think the little heat shield does much.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I cleaned all he contacts but it didn't help. I'm sure you can rip the cover off to get at the board but I didn't try it. I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the star diagnostic scan done.

Here's what the module looks like.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I have one I think
Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
FYI (attempting to consolidate some of these ESP threads, you know, because it's easier when everything is centralized.): https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...e-failure.html
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
It's more common now. Mine took a dump after having the inoperative message pop up a few times in the last year or so.

Still trying a few things before I do the module swap.
Originally Posted by Dogtag114
Mine failed earlier this year (2009)... was luckily replaced under extended warranty that expired last month.

However, after failing for 2 days (including power steering), it miraculously was fine for the 6 weeks I ended up waiting to get it repaired.

Don't rush, it may clear itself... there are a few threads on this.
Originally Posted by hachiroku
with my E63...similar came up...it went away after a while. supposedly going lock to lock while the car is on will reset the steering sensor.
In my case, every single sensor is reporting legit data. The ESP module (N30/4) has an internal fault. I've seen a 5945 but mostly the 5001 DTC.

I've tried cleaning the pins with contact cleaner which did jack. I think before, simply reseating to connector fixed the issue.

I'm going to yank the module and open it up over the weekend. Could be something simple thats noticeable on the PCB. A few indy places sell refurbished units so it can't be all that complicated to fix. It gets hot as fuçk under there with lots of vibration and I don't think the little heat shield does much.
I cleaned all he contacts but it didn't help. I'm sure you can rip the cover off to get at the board but I didn't try it. I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the star diagnostic scan done.

Here's what the module looks like.

I'm curious if these failures are caused by a cold solder joint? The heat shield protecting the module is likely inadequate and there's a lot of vibration where it's mounted.

I have been seeing this issue off an on now and it appears to be getting more frequent.

Another thing I have learned for those with a tune. Most likely all tunes have increased TRQ values. With modified ESP based parameters in the ECU file to allow for greater wheel spin before ESP intervention. There are also acceleration based maps that are modified to prevent ESP from “killing the power” or so to speak.

The last time I had an issue, I tried everything previously mentioned in this thread. The module was faulting for a sold 2 wks. I decided to let the dealer confirm the module was faulty so I loaded the OEM tune to prep for the visit. The problem disappeared after a couple drive cycles so I cancelled the appointment.

Car was fine for 2 wks before it came back again. Loading the OEM tune didn't help. Made another appointment for a scan, was faulting constantly for about a week then magically stopped.

Next time it start faulting consistently I will make another appointment. I'd like the see the output from the star diagnostic scan for the module.

I'm tempted to cut the module cover off to expose the PCB. I'd bet a beer there's an obvious issue.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
I replaced battery and it didn't solve the issue.

A week ago the issue went away half way through the day and then came back next day. This is getting annoying.....
Old 09-30-2016, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
It's a poor design. Inadequate heat shield, no vibration dampening etc.

I'm still waiting to find out if a used module can be reprogrammed. It may use a PROM so write once sort of deal.

Cheapest new I could find below.
https://parts.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...CONTROL-MODULE
The following users liked this post:
tzscottsdale (09-12-2018)
Old 09-30-2016, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG & C63 AMG
It's a poor design. Inadequate heat shield, no vibration dampening etc.

I'm still waiting to find out if a used module can be reprogrammed. It may use a PROM so write once sort of deal.

Cheapest new I could find below.
https://parts.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...CONTROL-MODULE

Is your car still faulting?
I'm going to clean the hub rings and sensors tomorrow see if that works.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MTV10
Is your car still faulting?
I'm going to clean the hub rings and sensors tomorrow see if that works.
No, it faulted for about a week then stopped and has been fine for a few weeks now. I didn't touch anything.

Read the ESP codes first. If it's a module fault, cleaning the rear hub sensor rings won't help. Just the act of clearing the codes has worked previously (worked for AMG3.2 as well after he had an issue swapping headbolts).
Old 09-30-2016, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Have you guys tried clearing with STAR as opposed to an actual code reader? Mine faulted after removing my battery, and I couldn't clear it with my Autel code reader.

STAR cleared it and it hasn't come back since.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG & C63 AMG
No, it faulted for about a week then stopped and has been fine for a few weeks now. I didn't touch anything.

Read the ESP codes first. If it's a module fault, cleaning the rear hub sensor rings won't help. Just the act of clearing the codes has worked previously (worked for AMG3.2 as well after he had an issue swapping headbolts).
Ok so to clarify, I only need to clean the rear hub rings?

I'll try scanning and clearing. See if that works.

This issue only came up after I did intake manifold gaskets and PCV. About a week later. Is there an ABS sensor somewhere near the intake manifold that perhaps I didn't plug back in correctly? I checked and everything seems secure .... Where is this module located?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
The front rings are sealed so they stay clean.

The module is right behind the washer fluid fill neck. It's attached to the ABS block which is part of the ESP system.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C63
Im glad i found this post guys!! Now i have the same issue!! Very frustrating as once the auto lock enables and i speed past 10 mph the ebr, abs, esp light comes on and loses power steering. Driving is still fine but hate having to park it without power steering!! Trying to diagnose problem, it can't be my battery as some of you have suggested because I swapped that out for new one not long ago. I did get some new tires 2 months ago. But i been driving on those tires since then and just got the error message few weeks ago. I thought the problem were my brake pads being low which it is. Had my front brakes replaced and error message still there...took it back to shop and was advised that it was the esp module that needs to be replaced. Was advised that the unit itself is $1300 and around $1700 after installation. Tough to swallow after spending money on new tires and brakes just to find out. Curious if this was what others paid as well for the unit and did this finally clear the darn errors message? Could it be just as simple as the wheel sensor or hub rings need to be cleaned??
Old 10-05-2016, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
If you're in the US https://parts.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...CONTROL-MODULE then just the cost to install and recode the VIN.

Do you have any diagnosing tools? It could be faulting because of a faulty ESP sensor. Get the ESP fault read before moving forward.

Others have had to replace the steering angle sensor, wheel speed sensor, or yaw sensor.

EDIT: Also verify your running voltage to eliminate the voltage regulator on the alternator.

Last edited by Jasonoff; 10-05-2016 at 06:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tzscottsdale (09-07-2018)
Old 10-05-2016, 06:13 PM

2008 Mercedes C63
Any updates on what you guys did? I am experiencing the same problem right now.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:38 PM

2008 Mercedes C63
Jasonoff, I do not have any diagnosing tools but i made an appt to have it checked out at the dealer since im having another issue fixed. Ill ask them about the esp sensor and wheel speed sensor as well. Did you finally get your issue fixed?
Old 10-05-2016, 07:28 PM

AQUIRED A C63 AMG PPP
I had same lights come on and no power steering turned out to be esp module.£850 part.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
If it's a generic module fault there's likely something wrong with the module.

I initially had wheel speed sensor faults. Cleaning the rear hub tone rings fixed the problem.

Now the generic module fault comes and goes unrelated to temperature, humidity so it appears to be completely random. It will likely need to be replaced some time in the future.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG & C63 AMG
I replaced battery, problem was still there. I unplugged the module and replugged it back in (the inside is sort of a pink color).. Next day it went away and hasn't come back since.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Several guys here with similar issues, but perhaps with different causes.
Absolutely no idea if this will help but.....

I have had this warning light on several occasions. The one time that it was not battery related (low charge and/or failing battery) I finally got it to go away by resetting the steering angle sensor. I hadn't had any steering issues or even struck a curb or pothole hard, but it was suggested to do it anyways. I did this by turning the wheels full lock to full lock side to side 5 times, then restarting the car. An immediate restart didn't do it, but a 20 minute sit and then a restart did. I have no idea why it would need the full reboot for the sensor reset, but it seems like it did.

Always worth a try boys.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Several guys here with similar issues, but perhaps with different causes.
Absolutely no idea if this will help but.....

I have had this warning light on several occasions. The one time that it was not battery related (low charge and/or failing battery) I finally got it to go away by resetting the steering angle sensor. I hadn't had any steering issues or even struck a curb or pothole hard, but it was suggested to do it anyways. I did this by turning the wheels full lock to full lock side to side 5 times, then restarting the car. An immediate restart didn't do it, but a 20 minute sit and then a restart did. I have no idea why it would need the full reboot for the sensor reset, but it seems like it did.

Always worth a try boys.
We be on the same page. I recall making the same suggestion.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:10 PM

2010 C62, 1986 VW Vanagon
For the record, I just had the same issue. I hadn't driven the car in 3 weeks and it's the original battery so I assumed that was the issue. Charged it fully, same problem. Yesterday tried one more time on a warmer day and let the car warm up. Same problem. Assumed it was a bad battery as others had said, so pulled the battery and had it tested in two places - and they both said it was good. Came home, put the battery back in and the problem is gone.

I can only assume that I had a low voltage related issue originally and it's been nagging in the system, and that just disconnecting the battery did a hard reset of something. Happy about the outcome for sure.

K
Old 01-30-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 C63
Car was in the dealer for the same problem. Dealership DG'd and replaced my ESP control unit under my ELW. Part # on my invoice is 003-540-70-45.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:17 PM

2010 C62, 1986 VW Vanagon
Originally Posted by 8o8is
Car was in the dealer for the same problem. Dealership DG'd and replaced my ESP control unit under my ELW. Part # on my invoice is 003-540-70-45.
Seems based on this thread that EVERYONE who trusted the dealer to diagnose it ended up spending a bunch of money on the ESP control unit. Other people like me who tried various fixes either spent nothing or very little.

Strange how that happens.

K
Old 01-30-2017, 11:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by GNOSHME
Seems based on this thread that EVERYONE who trusted the dealer to diagnose it ended up spending a bunch of money on the ESP control unit. Other people like me who tried various fixes either spent nothing or very little.

Strange how that happens.

K
I was lucky to be still under warranty so it was free👍🏻
Old 01-31-2017, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
No doubt there's likely something wrong with the module. Possibly cold solder joints or something causing intermittent issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EBD, ABS and ESC Inoperative - Also no power steering