Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C63 AMG (W204)
Liqui Moly best oil for C63 engine ticking noise..! >

Liqui Moly best oil for C63 engine ticking noise..!

Notices
C63 AMG (W204)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liqui Moly best oil for C63 engine ticking noise..!

 
Old 11-24-2016, 10:57 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Liqui Moly best oil for C63 engine ticking noise..!

Hey everyone, I recently had a hedbolt issue, so anyway I changed the oil after that twice and liqui moly was the first time, it didn't make no noise what's so ever...after that I put in Mobil 1 0w40 and the ticking noise is there...I'm going back to liqui moly tomorrow, so I'll try to see if my hypothesis is correct and let everyone know.
Stefanos_Greece is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 08:12 AM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,991
Liked 209 Times in 177 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2003 1500 HD Silverado;2015 GLA 250 (wife's)
This is a common issue with Mobil1 0W40. The lifters bleed down when the car is sitting and take a while to fill up when the car is restarted making a bit of a clacking sound. What viscosity range is the Liqui Moly? A thicker when cold oil, such as 5W40, seems to cure the problem in most all circumstances.
Mort is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 11:49 AM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMG3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 3,298
Liked 149 Times in 126 Posts
C63 AMG, P30

Last edited by AMG3.2; 11-25-2016 at 12:03 PM.
AMG3.2 is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 04:58 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
dekraboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 589
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
C63 AMG, G500
I run Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5W-40 in my post head bolt M156. Quiet at start up, runs smoother.
dekraboy is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 07:58 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Wobble64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cincinnati Area
Posts: 1,001
Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
so it seems to be really about higher viscosity rather than any brand (0W40 vs 5W40, not Mobil vs Liqui Moly). By the way, I use Motul 300V 15W50 - should be better still from this perspective.
Wobble64 is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 08:26 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ItalianJoe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 3,529
Liked 682 Times in 568 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Wobble64 View Post
so it seems to be really about higher viscosity rather than any brand (0W40 vs 5W40, not Mobil vs Liqui Moly). By the way, I use Motul 300V 15W50 - should be better still from this perspective.
Only downside to a heavier than spec'd oil, is you can get erratic valve timing control due to the increased oil pressure. I haven't seen it happen yet on a benz but a lot of people run the correct oil. I had a 350Z and running a 15-50, the VVL system would overreact when the oil was cold, because of the higher pressures. No real world issue, but i could hear the tone change when pulling away at light throttle as the cams swung too far and back several times. Once the oil warmed up it was fine, and when I went back to a 5-30 it went away, but all the engine noise came back that I was trying to cure with the heavier oils
ItalianJoe1 is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 10:46 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C63 AMG
I have put 5w-40 Liqui Moly
Stefanos_Greece is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 10:49 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C63 AMG
After nightmare problem after few hours of driving, we are back at it....it seems to be very very quick where I can never press the pedal down to much over here where I'm at!! But there's never too much power..!



Stefanos_Greece is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 10:57 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sidney, BC
Posts: 1,468
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
2001 SLK320
My dealer recently changed from Mobil 1 to Shell/Pennsoil
Alex.currie44 is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 11:22 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Eufaula, Al/Georgetown, GA
Posts: 807
Liked 95 Times in 71 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
I've BEEN running LiquiMoly and won't run anything else
jptaylor is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 12:36 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Diabolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,676
Liked 239 Times in 169 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928 GT, C5 Z06 track rat
Diabolis is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 12:44 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,628
Liked 318 Times in 236 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by Diabolis View Post
I heard e85 is great to put into the oil system. Really cleans it out and makes the engine less prone to buildup.
chrisridebike8 is online now  
Old 11-26-2016, 12:58 AM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Diabolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,676
Liked 239 Times in 169 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928 GT, C5 Z06 track rat
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 View Post
I heard e85 is great to put into the oil system. Really cleans it out and makes the engine less prone to buildup.


ROTFLMAO... nicely played Sir!
Diabolis is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 09:20 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jasonoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 3,532
Liked 616 Times in 406 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
What do you guys thing of Ceratec?

Jasonoff is offline  
Old 11-26-2016, 11:56 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BLKROKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,872
Liked 1,242 Times in 837 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by Jasonoff View Post
What do you guys thing of Ceratec?

I put 2 bottle in gas tank and mpg more better and dyno says +50whp
BLKROKT is online now  
The following 2 users liked this post by BLKROKT:
Adi-Benz (11-26-2016), Mazspeed (01-28-2017)
Old 11-26-2016, 12:27 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Diabolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,676
Liked 239 Times in 169 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928 GT, C5 Z06 track rat
Is too monochromatic. With a bright yellow label it will make even more power... prolly +20 whp.
Diabolis is offline  
Old 11-27-2016, 06:17 AM
  #17  
Member
 
Alex-r-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Russia
Posts: 185
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
C63AMG Coupe 507, GL X166
Originally Posted by Jasonoff View Post
What do you guys thing of Ceratec?


Ceratec is a good supplement to the oil?
Alex-r-1 is offline  
Old 01-28-2017, 07:36 AM
  #18  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 805
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
2010 C63
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1 View Post
Only downside to a heavier than spec'd oil, is you can get erratic valve timing control due to the increased oil pressure. I haven't seen it happen yet on a benz but a lot of people run the correct oil. I had a 350Z and running a 15-50, the VVL system would overreact when the oil was cold, because of the higher pressures. No real world issue, but i could hear the tone change when pulling away at light throttle as the cams swung too far and back several times. Once the oil warmed up it was fine, and when I went back to a 5-30 it went away, but all the engine noise came back that I was trying to cure with the heavier oils

This is something I thought about.
First of all, I am running 5W50 in my Subaru Sti engine. Their spec is lower on the high temp side.
I am measuring both oil temperature and oil pressure there (in the Subaru).
I have full control over the active valve there. If I was not to like what it does, I would change the cam advance table values and aim for less valve advance, to compensate for over advancing because of high oil pressure.
I have 40k miles with this oil on this engine and 150K miles on the previous engine with this same oil (did run at times the factory spec oil too), so there was plenty of time for all possible "oil disasters" to happen to the Subaru.


In the Subaru, the high value for hot viscosity (the 50 in 5W50) does exactly what the number says. Its keeps the oil more viscous at high temperatures. This reflects in the hot idle. The factory spec for hot idle oil pressure (for the EJ207 Subaru engine) is around 14 PSI.
That's exactly what you'll get with a 5W30 and maybe only 2-3 PSI more, but as the oil degrades, you'll drop on exactly that.
With the 50 series oil, you'll get 28 PSI hot idle. What that does, is make for very good valve advance actuation, once the oil is hot.


Now as far as the secondary effect of using 50 series oil, meaning higher oil pressure in cold idle, that happens too, but to a small extent.
It's exactly that, a side-effect, because the cold oil viscosity rating is still a 5 (in the 5W50 oil, vs say a 5W30 oil). So instead of getting 95 PSI cold oil pressure in idle, with outside temperatures in the teens, I get 100 PSI. I think the revved pressure for cold idle is around 100 PSI and I do get over 100, like 105-110 PSI. All the above is measured in the Subaru.


Now there is a disadvantage to the 5W50 oil, it warms up a lot slower. a 5W30 will warm up in normal commute with outside temperature in the teens in about 20 minutes, to where the oil temperature gauge starts to move. The 5W50, literally next day with the same temperature outside, took 40 minutes before the gauge moved (in the Subaru).
But if you are displaying the oil temperature, all this means, in my case, is that I wait till it moves, then start stepping on it, it's only a matter of patience, or warming the car up a bit before leaving. If you're willing to do this, then it's not bad.


In the Subaru, I am mindful of the revved cold oil pressure, but not because of overadvanced cam timing. This does not happen in my cam position logs, I think because cam advance is monitored and corrected via the feedback loop of the cam angle sensors.
I am mindful because I use a factory oil radiator and the hose clamps for that are rated around 120 PSI. The factory does use a double clamp approach anyway, but I could not find literature that describes the compounding effect of double clamping on rubber hoses, as far as pressure rating.
However, in a more simple way of thinking, you don't really need to beat the engine while it's really cold.


So let me say this again, I think that the cam control via the angle sensors compensates for higher than expected oil pressure (for most cars). But it won't be able to compensate for lower than expected oil pressure. So when your oil pressure is at the lowest, in really hot idle, the resources of closing all oil bypass and applying all available pressure for cam actuation, may not be enough.


So now, about the M156, I have a cam log that shows the cams behind by as many as 11 degrees. It seems that they catch up with revs (and oil pressure?) building up, but when you step on the accelerator, they first lag, then catch up.


So for the Mercedes unfortunately, our cars don't measure the oil pressure, not even for the Star Xentry to display. The factory oil pressure measurement procedure calls for a oil pressure pickup installed on a "special" oil filter cap.
I was hoping that the older applications of the M156, like say a 2007 E series, might have that on display, as the old school Mercedes always had an oil pressure gauge. But it doesn't seem this is the case.


Anyway, so for the Mercedes I plan to make this "special" oil pressure pickup cap, by threading a fitting into a spare cap and then measure the current oil pressure.
I was also hoping that I may be able to find a Bluetooth oil pressure sender, that I may be able to permanently install ...somewhere.. on the M156 and just leave it there. I guess its too early for these to be available, so that you could use the iphone to monitor.


So if it turns that the hot idle oil pressure is barely there for the Mercedes(I expect that), I would then switch to a 5W50 oil, re-measure the oil pressure, then do another cam log, let's see if this doesn't fix the cam lag.

Last edited by Vladds; 01-28-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Vladds is offline  
The following users liked this post: Vladds
qmciver (01-01-2019)
Old 01-28-2017, 08:09 AM
  #19  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Eufaula, Al/Georgetown, GA
Posts: 807
Liked 95 Times in 71 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by Vladds View Post
This is something I thought about.
First of all, I am running 5W50 in my Subaru Sti engine. Their spec is lower on the high temp side.
I am measuring both oil temperature and oil pressure there (in the Subaru).
I have full control over the active valve there. If I was not to like what it does, I would change the cam advance table values and aim for less valve advance, to compensate for over advancing because of high oil pressure.
I have 40k miles with this oil on this engine and 150K miles on the previous engine with this same oil (did run at times the factory spec oil too), so there was plenty of time for all possible "oil disasters" to happen to the Subaru.


In the Subaru, the high value for hot viscosity (the 50 in 5W50) does exactly what the number says. Its keeps the oil more viscous at high temperatures. This reflects in the hot idle. The factory spec for hot idle oil pressure (for the EJ207 Subaru engine) is around 14 PSI.
That's exactly what you'll get with a 5W30 and maybe only 2-3 PSI more, but as the oil degrades, you'll drop on exactly that.
With the 50 series oil, you'll get 28 PSI hot idle. What that does, is make for very good valve advance actuation, once the oil is hot.


Now as far as the secondary effect of using 50 series oil, meaning higher oil pressure in cold idle, that happens too, but to a small extent.
It's exactly that, a side-effect, because the cold oil viscosity rating is still a 5 (in the 5W50 oil, vs say a 5W30 oil). So instead of getting 95 PSI cold oil pressure in idle, with outside temperatures in the teens, I get 100 PSI. I think the revved pressure for cold idle is around 100 PSI and I do get over 100, like 105-110 PSI. All the above is measured in the Subaru.


Now there is a disadvantage to the 5W50 oil, it warms up a lot slower. a 5W30 will warm up in normal commute with outside temperature in the teens in about 20 minutes, to where the oil temperature gauge starts to move. The 5W50, literally next day with the same temperature outside, took 40 minutes before the gauge moved (in the Subaru).
But if you are displaying the oil temperature, all this means, in my case, is that I wait till it moves, then start stepping on it, it's only a matter of patience, or warming the car up a bit before leaving. If you're willing to do this, then it's not bad.


In the Subaru, I am mindful of the revved cold oil pressure, but not because of overadvanced cam timing. This does not happen in my cam position logs, I think because cam advance is monitored and corrected via the feedback loop of the cam angle sensors.
I am mindful because I use a factory oil radiator and the hose clamps for that are rated around 120 PSI. The factory does use a double clamp approach anyway, but I could not find literature that describes the compounding effect of double clamping on rubber hoses, as far as pressure rating.
However, in a more simple way of thinking, you don't really need to beat the engine while it's really cold.


So let me say this again, I think that the cam control via the angle sensors compensates for higher than expected oil pressure (for most cars). But it won't be able to compensate for lower than expected oil pressure. So when your oil pressure is at the lowest, in really hot idle, the resources of closing all oil bypass and applying all available pressure for cam actuation, may not be enough.


So now, about the M156, I have a cam log that shows the cams behind by as many as 11 degrees. It seems that they catch up with revs (and oil pressure?) building up, but when you step on the accelerator, they first lag, then catch up.


So for the Mercedes unfortunately, our cars don't measure the oil pressure, not even for the Star Xentry to display. The factory oil pressure measurement procedure calls for a oil pressure pickup installed on a "special" oil filter cap.
I was hoping that the older applications of the M156, like say a 2007 E series, might have that on display, as the old school Mercedes always had an oil pressure gauge. But it doesn't seem this is the case.


Anyway, so for the Mercedes I plan to make this "special" oil pressure pickup cap, by threading a fitting into a spare cap and then measure the current oil pressure.
I was also hoping that I may be able to find a Bluetooth oil pressure sender, that I may be able to permanently install ...somewhere.. on the M156 and just leave it there. I guess its too early for these to be available, so that you could use the iphone to monitor.


So if it turns that the hot idle oil pressure is barely there for the Mercedes(I expect that), I would then switch to a 5W50 oil, re-measure the oil pressure, then do another cam log, let's see if this doesn't fix the cam lag.

Da ***?
jptaylor is offline  
Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 447
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
Originally Posted by jptaylor View Post
Da ***?
Can't have a car forum without somebody responding to a months old thread with a giant wall of text about oil no one is gonna read.
realjones88 is offline  
Old 01-28-2017, 05:10 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMG3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 3,298
Liked 149 Times in 126 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by jptaylor View Post
Da ***?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
AMG3.2 is offline  
Old 01-28-2017, 05:42 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 189
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
2011 Mercedes C63 AMG
Another LM happy customer!
Slow_c63 is offline  
Old 01-28-2017, 05:44 PM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 189
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
2011 Mercedes C63 AMG
God dang it, I fell for another bumped old thread.

Ill be back!!! Get the choppa!
Slow_c63 is offline  
Old 01-28-2017, 11:04 PM
  #24  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 31
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Originally Posted by realjones88 View Post
Can't have a car forum without somebody responding to a months old thread with a giant wall of text about oil no one is gonna read.
i read that shytt. im here for liqui moly though i want to see how its done.

THESE C63 SEDANS ARE SLICK AF LOOKING. my CLK is a bit dated compaired to these.. anyways i didnt understand the text but tried to anyways. NICE RIDEZ C63 GUYS
...OFTEN I DREAM OF HAVING A C AMG-COUPE but now i think a E350 coupe and c63 sedan will do.

anyways i tired the little bottle in my oil not the "ceratec" liquiMoly and it didnt feel anything like when I use >> Z-Maxx ... put that in my transmission again yesterday << after dropping 3 liters off the top and adding new ATF and zmax.. smooth as ever. i currently am running castrol gtx 0w40 btw. i like it over mobil 1...

also i tried the liqui moly fuel additives. i think it helped my combustion chamber and injectors a lot. decent price for those additives too. ill give ceratec a try and probably the 5w40? oil they offer thanks AMG guys for the knowledge.
Jma77i is offline  
Old 01-28-2017, 11:10 PM
  #25  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Eufaula, Al/Georgetown, GA
Posts: 807
Liked 95 Times in 71 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by Jma77i View Post
i read that shytt. im here for liqui moly though i want to see how its done.

THESE C63 SEDANS ARE SLICK AF LOOKING. my CLK is a bit dated compaired to these.. anyways i didnt understand the text but tried to anyways. NICE RIDEZ C63 GUYS
...OFTEN I DREAM OF HAVING A C AMG-COUPE but now i think a E350 coupe and c63 sedan will do.

anyways i tired the little bottle in my oil not the "ceratec" liquiMoly and it didnt feel anything like when I use >> Z-Maxx ... put that in my transmission again yesterday << after dropping 3 liters off the top and adding new ATF and zmax.. smooth as ever. i currently am running castrol gtx 0w40 btw. i like it over mobil 1...

also i tried the liqui moly fuel additives. i think it helped my combustion chamber and injectors a lot. decent price for those additives too. ill give ceratec a try and probably the 5w40? oil they offer thanks AMG guys for the knowledge.


are you Al Qaeda? I couldn't follow ANY part of that..

Last edited by jptaylor; 01-28-2017 at 11:14 PM.
jptaylor is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: