C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some advice on caliper paint peeling.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz E63S
I need some advice on caliper paint peeling.

Hi All,

I have a 2013 C63 with the performance package. Car has 40k miles and I noticed when switching out my winter wheels the clear coating on the front calipers has peeled off in some areas and the underlying red paint is chalky. I always hand wash so I'm not sure what caused it.

I went to the dealer and they said since it doesn't affect the performance they won't replace the calipers but as a "courtesy" they'll have the calipers repainted if I pay $500 to take them off and reinstall.

I think this proposal is ridiculous. Can they re-apply a clear coat which is as durable as original? How do they propose to maintain the AMG logo and lastly why should I have to pay anything? In my opinion they should just replace the calipers.

Any ideas or thoughts? I've read other posts where they all had the calipers replaced. If I'm unsuccessful with my dealer what other options do I have?

Thanks for any advice!!
J.
The following users liked this post:
jaykato (06-12-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Hi All,

I have a 2013 C63 with the performance package. Car has 40k miles and I noticed when switching out my winter wheels the clear coating on the front calipers has peeled off in some areas and the underlying red paint is chalky. I always hand wash so I'm not sure what caused it.

I went to the dealer and they said since it doesn't affect the performance they won't replace the calipers but as a "courtesy" they'll have the calipers repainted if I pay $500 to take them off and reinstall.

I think this proposal is ridiculous. Can they re-apply a clear coat which is as durable as original? How do they propose to maintain the AMG logo and lastly why should I have to pay anything? In my opinion they should just replace the calipers.

Any ideas or thoughts? I've read other posts where they all had the calipers replaced. If I'm unsuccessful with my dealer what other options do I have?

Thanks for any advice!!
J.
It will be a tough argument to support replacement. I didn't look at the warranty book but I don't think cosmetics carry through the full warranty.
If the clear only is peeling can you lightly sand it back to where it is stuck, feather it out gently without damaging the red and and clear coating them yourself? They are not powder coated as far as I know.
The caliper is pretty exposed on these cars compared to ones on my R170 roadster. I painted them completely with a red caliper paint using a brush and they looked great. You would never know so putting some clear over a well prepared colour should be a snap.
Unless you are going to track your car you would not need a HT clear but here is one that I am told is pretty good. There are others for sure.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-dia...s-aerosol.html
Old 06-09-2017, 05:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
W204 C63
Same thing happened to me . I just repainted them my self
Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,678 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Replace calipers? That was a joke right.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
lol

if you are handy you can repaint yourself.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Same thing happened to me... But I'm pretty sure it was from me leaving wheel cleaner spray on the wheels and calipers too long. Came back outside and clear was cloudy , then on next drive peeling off. I picked a spare set of cal from a wreck in mint shape to replace. Will sell the cloudy calipers so some one can paint color of choice or run as is . Gl.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Sure i read on here of someone with similar problem - i think in Melbourne Australia - who got calipers replaced under warranty.
Cant recall how early in warranty period this was, or how much push-back he got from the dealer.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Here is the link:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...per-paint.html
Old 06-10-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts
C63 AMG Saloon
Just get them re painted at a bodyshop, Make sure they use the right stickers or buy them yourself to give to them. I did mine candy yellow.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Phil - looks hawt!
Old 06-13-2017, 03:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 PP
Originally Posted by JimmyR
Sure i read on here of someone with similar problem - i think in Melbourne Australia - who got calipers replaced under warranty.
Cant recall how early in warranty period this was, or how much push-back he got from the dealer.
Jimmy R - That was me. They replaced one caliper 2 years into a 3 year warranty. I think it really depends on the individual Service adviser and the dealership. They could well have said it was caused by a stone chip and I wouldn't have had any comeback. You could take it further to MB USA given there's a few cases on this forum of peeling going on.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 693 Likes on 472 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Just wanted to put an update on this thread, bought my 507 in late January 2014 model year with 32k miles on it - was 4 years old and a week when I bought it CPO. Calipers were peeling clearcoat, washed the car that week and the rest of the clear coat just rinsed off with a hose. I took it in and complained about all 4 and they said no problem and CPO would cover it and they ordered new calipers which took about 3 weeks to come from Germany.

Had them installed last week and they look so much better, warranty bill was 3k and had not issues getting them replaced under warranty. Seems to only be an issue with the red ones, my 2013 had the silver ones and they were mint at 45k.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
You could have them powdercoated instead. I had mine done by a shop that custom-blended a color for me. They charged more than you can get them painted for but a perfect, much better than OE paint powder coat job simply cannot be beat. Much, much more durable than paint too. JMHO.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Originally Posted by bhamg
You could have them powdercoated instead. I had mine done by a shop that custom-blended a color for me. They charged more than you can get them painted for but a perfect, much better than OE paint powder coat job simply cannot be beat. Much, much more durable than paint too. JMHO.
Well replacement was free so will see how it holds up, if I am paying would be powdercoar for sure for the durability!
Old 03-05-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz E63S
Thanks for the ideas. I just traded the car in for a new C63S so no more trouble with the caliper paint. Hopefully the thread will help others who are having a similar issues.

The brake system on the new C63 is different though. The front are a different casting and the rears aren't 4 piston.....boooo!

Is there a possibility that the wheel cleaner I used caused the paint to peel? I was using Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner. They say it's safe but who knows.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
991 GT3, W212 E63-S 4Matic, W205 C300 Sport 4Matic
The same clear coat peeling is happening on my red calipers. I should’ve had them replaced under warranty, but I didn’t notice it until after the factory warranty had already expired. Luckily you have to look at them with the star spoked wheels removed to really see the clear coat damage.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Thanks for the ideas. I just traded the car in for a new C63S so no more trouble with the caliper paint. Hopefully the thread will help others who are having a similar issues.

The brake system on the new C63 is different though. The front are a different casting and the rears aren't 4 piston.....boooo!

Is there a possibility that the wheel cleaner I used caused the paint to peel? I was using Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner. They say it's safe but who knows.
I used Sonax full effect fo a couple years on my base C63 with the grey calipers and never had an issues. Also have never heard of the clear peeling on yellow or silver calipers ever, seems to have been a manufacturing flaw with the red ones or something chemically different with the red base they used that caused issues with clear adhesion. Just hoping they figured it out and the new ones won't do it again in 3 or 4 years!