Sponsored by:

Center Console & IWC Clock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VW GTI
Center Console & IWC Clock

Afternoon... I'm about to pull the trigger on an incredible deal for a '17 C63S sedan. The only niggling thing holding me back is the car has the piano black console with no IWC clock. Personally, I love the subtle touch of the analog clock. IMO it nicely completes the look of the console area.

I would much prefer the Black Ash finish w/IWC. How easy (or difficult) is it to wrap, refinish or replace the console 'cover' and perhaps install the IWC? This is such a great deal, I'm thinking I should just get over it.

Thoughts?
Old 11-03-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'17 C63 S Coupe
If you're able to find the clock, I actually have a brand new black ash center console that I swapped out for the carbon fiber when I picked up my '17 coupe. Feel free to PM me if you're interested - should be the exact same fit as the sedan since all of the electronics are the same.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
C63 AMG S Coupe (Sept. 2017)
Bro... gotta be honest with you. You're definately overthinking this. The beauty of this car is the engine and overall mechanics. I have a 2018 C63S coupe. A nearly perfect car.

I've never understood the fascination with the 'IWC' clock in these cars. It's a cheap little digital clock that has IWC printed on the dial. Not to stir the pot here but here goes.. IWC isn't even that great of a watch brand anymore even when it's a legit time piece which is largely why why are licensing their name to be printed on cheap digital clocks. Next will be the Omega stamped clocks....
The following users liked this post:
rajalaut (04-16-2021)
Old 11-03-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C63s
Originally Posted by poops
Afternoon... I'm about to pull the trigger on an incredible deal for a '17 C63S sedan. The only niggling thing holding me back is the car has the piano black console with no IWC clock. Personally, I love the subtle touch of the analog clock. IMO it nicely completes the look of the console area.

I would much prefer the Black Ash finish w/IWC. How easy (or difficult) is it to wrap, refinish or replace the console 'cover' and perhaps install the IWC? This is such a great deal, I'm thinking I should just get over it.

Thoughts?

http://www.mercteil.com/en/products/amg-grey-iwc-clock

AMG Grey IWC Clock

W205; W222; W213IWC interior clock with carbon elements.Manufacturer: IWC Schaffhausen for Mercedes-BenzNote/Important:

Installed from the factory with the following models: S63/S65 AMG W222; C63 AMG W205; E63 AMG W213

Can be installed on vehicles other versions of the E-Class, S-Class and C-Class.

100% genuine.
Jeff Whitten (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 W205 C63 AMG S Edition One
Also check eBay
Old 11-03-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 Wagon
It's not quite a straight forward as you might think...https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...-retrofit.html
Keen to hear if anyone has successfully done the retrofit.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
There is no pre-wired connection for the IWC clock. It will have to be done from scrap. On top of that it will need to be coded in to the system to work properly. As far as I know, no one has done it but many have tried.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Audi S6
Originally Posted by dforman15
100% genuine.
I have no doubt about that, but BrownDog is correct IMO. Same thing with Bose. Removed the Bose speakers on my last Vette, and they were the cheapest speakers I've ever seen (paper cones and tweeters), and I used to install stereos when in college. Just a cheap Chinese speaker stamped 'Bose', and I'm sure it's something similar with IWC, since they're really known for their expensive mechanical timepieces, and not a cheapo digital one. Bose used to be the same way, the leader in sound, until it was deposed not by one, but several better brands, and it resorted to licensing their name even on the cheapest crap. My Porsche has Bose too, and it's better than others, but mid-pack at best. By the way, Burmester is the next Bose IMO. Not impressed how the system sounds on MBs at all. Maybe the super expensive 3D sounds better, but the base one leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, don't even think there's a real subwoofer in there, as bass is really weak.
jj18 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 08:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
Reviving this thread!
Has anyone successfully retrofitted the IWC Clock to cars that came with no clock (Piano Black trim)? Can the clock be wired up to work?
Old 08-30-2019, 08:27 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Didn’t realize not all C63’s come with the IWC. What option (or lack of) determines if it has the clock? Was just staring at mine yesterday after I parked in a dark garage. Really amazing looking touch to the interior.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:35 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Didn’t realize not all C63’s come with the IWC. What option (or lack of) determines if it has the clock? Was just staring at mine yesterday after I parked in a dark garage. Really amazing looking touch to the interior.
I believe the Piano Black interior is the only one that does not have the IWC clock. Piano Black interior is no longer an option starting with MY2019, so all facelift models have the clock.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
Bump.

Has anyone got instructions for retro fitting the IWC clock?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:06 PM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
Look in the regular W205 section there's really good instructions on the install .

Never mine here you go

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-retrofit.html

Last edited by tekfoc; 09-14-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
I never even look at mine to see what time it is. It most likely costs MB next to nothing for it anyways. They are just trying to capitalize on the name.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:55 AM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
Originally Posted by benzbell
I never even look at mine to see what time it is. It most likely costs MB next to nothing for it anyways. They are just trying to capitalize on the name.
+1

If I ever check the time while driving, I just look at the digital readout above the tach

Save the money instead for something nice on your wrist
Old 09-15-2019, 01:41 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by benzbell
I feel it is a nice touch in the interior. I like analog watches, may be that's the reason I seem to like this clock too. Yes, there are other places you can check out the time, directly on the instrument cluster or on the infotainment system display.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Tuxdude
I feel it is a nice touch in the interior. I like analog watches, may be that's the reason I seem to like this clock too. Yes, there are other places you can check out the time, directly on the instrument cluster or on the infotainment system display.
I also love the look. I find that a quick glance at an analog clock "sees" the time faster than reading a digital one. I use it exclusively.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4 hooves and a cart
"I've never understood the fascination with the 'IWC' clock in these cars. It's a cheap little digital clock that has IWC printed on the dial. Not to stir the pot here but here goes.. IWC isn't even that great of a watch brand anymore even when it's a legit time piece which is largely why why are licensing their name to be printed on cheap digital clocks"

Just a little aside here. When I worked on B-52s, the analog clock in the center console was a highly pilferable item. It was just a wind-up clock, was not very accurate and cost several hundred dollars (about $600US in the mid 1980s). So many clocks were being stolen that our Instruments sister shop (I was in Automatic Flight Control) had to resort to drilling out the screw heads to slow down the theft.

No idea where these clocks went until someone showed us their pickup - they had done a dash mod and there was clock from a B-52! Big risk, as it's stolen government property that will probably end up resulting in some non-judicial punishment for someone caught with one.

The moral of the story is that one man's trash is another man's treasure! I look on Ebay from time to time to see if some of the analog clocks from a B-52, etc show up.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:07 AM

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 Cabriolet, 2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
Originally Posted by whoover
I also love the look. I find that a quick glance at an analog clock "sees" the time faster than reading a digital one. I use it exclusively.
I am almost always wearing a wrist watch so I just look at that. The IWC clock looks nice but honestly it isn’t any different or better than the analog clock Mercedes uses in their other models. I mentioned the IWC clock to a guy I work with who wears an IWC watch, he is into that sort of thing though.

Now, if it said Rolex on our clocks that would be cool.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by SDRider
I am almost always wearing a wrist watch so I just look at that. The IWC clock looks nice but honestly it isn’t any different or better than the analog clock Mercedes uses in their other models. I mentioned the IWC clock to a guy I work with who wears an IWC watch, he is into that sort of thing though.

Now, if it said Rolex on our clocks that would be cool.
From a watch review forum: "...Some even go as far to say that if you want to impress your average layman, wear a Rolex but IWC is a watch to wear to impress a watchmaker or serious collector." or another one "IWC gets to flex their watchmaking muscles and show what they can really do (mechanically speaking) in this area and this is one of the main reasons why serious “watch-people” typically love them more than Rolex." Latter was speaking about the fact IWC makes highly complex watches with mechanical features Rolex does not.

I sure love my IWC. I am a bit of a watch collector and I barely of ever wear my rolex because of the sentiment it sends to many people...and I don't like, Similar reason I like my AMG, its not in your face.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:39 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,418 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Fury
"I've never understood the fascination with the 'IWC' clock in these cars. It's a cheap little digital clock that has IWC printed on the dial. Not to stir the pot here but here goes.. IWC isn't even that great of a watch brand anymore even when it's a legit time piece which is largely why why are licensing their name to be printed on cheap digital clocks"

Just a little aside here. When I worked on B-52s, the analog clock in the center console was a highly pilferable item. It was just a wind-up clock, was not very accurate and cost several hundred dollars (about $600US in the mid 1980s). So many clocks were being stolen that our Instruments sister shop (I was in Automatic Flight Control) had to resort to drilling out the screw heads to slow down the theft.

No idea where these clocks went until someone showed us their pickup - they had done a dash mod and there was clock from a B-52! Big risk, as it's stolen government property that will probably end up resulting in some non-judicial punishment for someone caught with one.

The moral of the story is that one man's trash is another man's treasure! I look on Ebay from time to time to see if some of the analog clocks from a B-52, etc show up.
I can't see someone getting into trouble for owning one of these 'highly stolen' items........everyone knew they were stolen all the time? How many years ago was that? YOu'd have to be a pretty sh@tbag lawyer to go after someone or give them trouble over a watch........and the fact you can buy them on Fleabay also says it's a non issue.
Cool story though
tobeit (08-09-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 06:32 AM

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 Cabriolet, 2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
Originally Posted by tobeit
From a watch review forum: "...Some even go as far to say that if you want to impress your average layman, wear a Rolex but IWC is a watch to wear to impress a watchmaker or serious collector." or another one "IWC gets to flex their watchmaking muscles and show what they can really do (mechanically speaking) in this area and this is one of the main reasons why serious “watch-people” typically love them more than Rolex." Latter was speaking about the fact IWC makes highly complex watches with mechanical features Rolex does not.

I sure love my IWC. I am a bit of a watch collector and I barely of ever wear my rolex because of the sentiment it sends to many people...and I don't like, Similar reason I like my AMG, its not in your face.
I wear a Rolex Submariner daily and honestly nobody notices it. If they do, they don’t comment on it so what they think or what sentiment they perceive is completely moot. I’ve taken my watch in the ocean, countless swimming pools and the shower every morning. It is accurate, well, as accurate as any mechanical watch can be expected to be anyway, durable and water tight. Plus, they hold their value better than other high end mechanical watches. I love my Rolex.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:34 AM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
I wear a Rolex Submariner daily and honestly nobody notices it. If they do, they don’t comment on it so what they think or what sentiment they perceive is completely moot. I’ve taken my watch in the ocean, countless swimming pools and the shower every morning. It is accurate, well, as accurate as any mechanical watch can be expected to be anyway, durable and water tight. Plus, they hold their value better than other high end mechanical watches. I love my Rolex.
same here I take it everywhere
love it to death
it’s a iPhone. LOL
Old 08-10-2020, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by tekfoc
same here I take it everywhere
love it to death
it’s a iPhone. LOL
Good for you guys - I just had more than once experiences that I did not care for. I love my rolex still, just not wearing it often.