Notices
C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first misfire - 2019 AMG C63s Coupe

 
Old 06-19-2019, 01:29 PM
  #26  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 100
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
UPDATE
  • Dropped off the car to my dealer yesterday and received a call earlier and was told that they're going to be installing the LATEST (New) ECU firmware which is about 4-5 hour procedure having AMG Engineers involved. They also got my authorization to drive the car for 25 miles for "AMG adaption"?
  • At this moment, these are the only bit of information I have and I will let update here if I receive any more info.
Question:
  • Do you think this new update has to do with this known issue (misfire) which I assume AMG is aware of?
  • Does it address the pop/crackle issue?
Ben Khoshabeh is offline  
Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 PM
  #27  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
munis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,133
Received 195 Likes on 144 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Ben Khoshabeh View Post
UPDATE
  • Dropped off the car to my dealer yesterday and received a call earlier and was told that they're going to be installing the LATEST (New) ECU firmware which is about 4-5 hour procedure having AMG Engineers involved. They also got my authorization to drive the car for 25 miles for "AMG adaption"?
  • At this moment, these are the only bit of information I have and I will let update here if I receive any more info.
Question:
  • Do you think this new update has to do with this known issue (misfire) which I assume AMG is aware of?
  • Does it address the pop/crackle issue?
Questions only you can answer at the moment haha.
munis is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Ben Khoshabeh (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:06 PM
  #28  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 150
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Ben Khoshabeh View Post
UPDATE
  • Dropped off the car to my dealer yesterday and received a call earlier and was told that they're going to be installing the LATEST (New) ECU firmware which is about 4-5 hour procedure having AMG Engineers involved. They also got my authorization to drive the car for 25 miles for "AMG adaption"?
  • At this moment, these are the only bit of information I have and I will let update here if I receive any more info.
Question:
  • Do you think this new update has to do with this known issue (misfire) which I assume AMG is aware of?
  • Does it address the pop/crackle issue?
They haven't provided a root cause from what you're saying. They are assuming it will fix your misfire? AMG adaption is correct, not sure on the mileage but adaptation is in the manual. Although, it's supposed to adapt to your driving style not there's lol.
MBzW205 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Ben Khoshabeh (06-19-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 PM
  #29  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 100
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Got the car back earlier today with below notes from service dept.


Drove the car in town visiting my client and got my first misfire AGAIN followed by engine light and loss of power and shaking; restarted the car and got everything back to normal but few minutes later, misfire happens again and engine light stays ON no matter how many times you restart the car. Had to drop off to my dealer again. Let's see what's next :/
Ben Khoshabeh is offline  
Old 06-25-2019, 12:52 AM
  #30  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 46
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Ben Khoshabeh View Post
Got the car back earlier today with below notes from service dept.


Drove the car in town visiting my client and got my first misfire AGAIN followed by engine light and loss of power and shaking; restarted the car and got everything back to normal but few minutes later, misfire happens again and engine light stays ON no matter how many times you restart the car. Had to drop off to my dealer again. Let's see what's next :/
Feel so sorry for you, this shouldn't be happening

Did they mention at all what the ecu update was for though?
Profomo is online now  
Old 06-25-2019, 01:49 AM
  #31  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 100
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by Profomo View Post
Feel so sorry for you, this shouldn't be happening

Did they mention at all what the ecu update was for though?
My service advisor was gone for a business trip so haven't had a chance talking to him yet
Ben Khoshabeh is offline  
Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 AM
  #32  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 46
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Ben Khoshabeh View Post
My service advisor was gone for a business trip so haven't had a chance talking to him yet
Let us know once you hear back, think many people here on the forum would be interested to know as well

What was your build date?
Profomo is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Ben Khoshabeh (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 AM
  #33  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 55
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Thanks for following up, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. At least you have documentation to shut up the "why do you think it was a misfire" crowd.
bob_ham is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Ben Khoshabeh (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 12:34 PM
  #34  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 100
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by Profomo View Post
Let us know once you hear back, think many people here on the forum would be interested to know as well

What was your build date?
For sure. My built date is Feb 2019.
Ben Khoshabeh is offline  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 PM
  #35  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 100
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
UPDATE: Received a call from my SA earlier and was told that theyíll have to keep the car for a while since previous instructions didnít resolve the issue. Now MB of U.S is involved.
Ben Khoshabeh is offline  
Old 06-26-2019, 09:31 AM
  #36  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 44
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
c63s
Ben Khoshabeh , I just pulled my old invoice and it says the EXACT same thing as yours (other than yours is cylinder 4, mine is cylinder 5). Not sure if you want to show this to the tech to see if he can try it out rather than waiting MB US.
Chino075 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Ben Khoshabeh (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 02:08 PM
  #37  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 100
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by Chino075 View Post
Ben Khoshabeh , I just pulled my old invoice and it says the EXACT same thing as yours (other than yours is cylinder 4, mine is cylinder 5). Not sure if you want to show this to the tech to see if he can try it out rather than waiting MB US.
Thanks mate! I'll let my SA know
Ben Khoshabeh is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 03:47 AM
  #38  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 100
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by Chino075 View Post
Ben Khoshabeh , I just pulled my old invoice and it says the EXACT same thing as yours (other than yours is cylinder 4, mine is cylinder 5). Not sure if you want to show this to the tech to see if he can try it out rather than waiting MB US.
Chino075 per my last conversation with my SA today, exact same bulletin as yours will be applied to my car. Btw, whatís your built and model?
Ben Khoshabeh is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 04:44 AM
  #39  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 46
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Ben Khoshabeh View Post
Chino075 per my last conversation with my SA today, exact same bulletin as yours will be applied to my car. Btw, what’s your built and model?
Did your SA mention what the software update/ECU software addresses?
Profomo is online now  
Old 06-27-2019, 09:10 AM
  #40  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 44
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
c63s
Originally Posted by Ben Khoshabeh View Post
Chino075 per my last conversation with my SA today, exact same bulletin as yours will be applied to my car. Btw, whatís your built and model?
My build date was September 20, 2017 and it's the sedan. After the tech swapped my coils/plugs (coils being more of the culprit from experience), it's been running strong currently at around 16,000 mi.
Chino075 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Ben Khoshabeh (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:38 AM
  #41  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 100
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by Profomo View Post
Did your SA mention what the software update/ECU software addresses?
He called me while I was running extremely busy so I didnít have a chance to ask but Iíll definitely ask next time as Iím so curious about that.
Ben Khoshabeh is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 10:34 AM
  #42  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
munis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,133
Received 195 Likes on 144 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Chino075 View Post
Ben Khoshabeh , I just pulled my old invoice and it says the EXACT same thing as yours (other than yours is cylinder 4, mine is cylinder 5). Not sure if you want to show this to the tech to see if he can try it out rather than waiting MB US.


This is ridiculous, instead of checking the engine with the coil packs changed for 4 and 5, the freaking guy put the coil pack back into Cylinder 1 and 2? Like Cylinder 4 and 5 got messed up a bit, let me do that for all your cylinders? Where do Mercedes hire these guys from?
munis is online now  
Old 06-27-2019, 10:50 AM
  #43  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 44
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
c63s
I see your concern on this and I'm no mechanic, but I can relate on why it was done. I do this with RAM too, if I know DIMM slot 2 and slot 4 are ok, I would want to put the faulty ones in slot 2 and 4. That will prove to me that it's the RAM and not the DIMM slot 1 and slot 3.
Chino075 is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 11:40 AM
  #44  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 55
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
It's a common troubleshooting technique. I don't think a few miles of missfire is going to mess up the cylinders.
bob_ham is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 11:51 AM
  #45  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 100
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by bob_ham View Post
It's a common troubleshooting technique. I don't think a few miles of missfire is going to mess up the cylinders.
Yep. My dad used to be a mechanic and I remember him doing the same thing.
Ben Khoshabeh is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 12:10 PM
  #46  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 571
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by munis View Post
This is ridiculous, instead of checking the engine with the coil packs changed for 4 and 5, the freaking guy put the coil pack back into Cylinder 1 and 2? Like Cylinder 4 and 5 got messed up a bit, let me do that for all your cylinders? Where do Mercedes hire these guys from?

As others have stated, that it an extremely common procedure to check for a bad coil pack and/or spark plug. If the misfire follows the coil/plug, you've found your issue. If the misfire stays on the same cylinder, you carry on with further diagnostics. If they hadn't done this, then I'd begin to question the mechanic's abilities.
msd3075 is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 02:30 PM
  #47  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
munis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,133
Received 195 Likes on 144 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by msd3075 View Post
As others have stated, that it an extremely common procedure to check for a bad coil pack and/or spark plug. If the misfire follows the coil/plug, you've found your issue. If the misfire stays on the same cylinder, you carry on with further diagnostics. If they hadn't done this, then I'd begin to question the mechanic's abilities.
No I know this is common procedure to find faulty coil pack, I have done it on my beaten up corollas and civic, but I sure as hell won't play the same game with a 90k car. Specially when the STAR diagnostics is specifically pointing out to misfires in cylinder 4 and 5. Like I said, you are not playing with a Corolla here, we pay a premium for these cars, run to the parts department and get some new coils, put them in 4 and 5 and run diagnostics again. Atleast that is what my expectation would be if I had a c63s in service.
munis is online now  
Old 06-27-2019, 04:24 PM
  #48  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 571
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by munis View Post
No I know this is common procedure to find faulty coil pack, I have done it on my beaten up corollas and civic, but I sure as hell won't play the same game with a 90k car. Specially when the STAR diagnostics is specifically pointing out to misfires in cylinder 4 and 5. Like I said, you are not playing with a Corolla here, we pay a premium for these cars, run to the parts department and get some new coils, put them in 4 and 5 and run diagnostics again. Atleast that is what my expectation would be if I had a c63s in service.

That'd be a waste of two brand new coil packs if the original ones ended up not being the issue. And if your car came in running fine other than a slight misfire, the original misfire wouldn't have caused any damage to the engine internals. No need to worry about any other damage by moving the coil packs to a different cylinder. While our cars are more sophisticated and higher performance than your old Corolla or Civic, the fundamentals behind how to wrench on one are pretty much the same.
msd3075 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Xec (06-27-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 08:30 AM
  #49  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 46
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Ben Khoshabeh View Post
He called me while I was running extremely busy so I didnít have a chance to ask but Iíll definitely ask next time as Iím so curious about that.
Sorry to ask again, but any chance you figured out what the ecu update was for?
Profomo is online now  
Old 07-01-2019, 01:09 PM
  #50  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 100
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by Profomo View Post
Sorry to ask again, but any chance you figured out what the ecu update was for?
I still don't have an ETA on my car as it seems like the parts are on back-order...
I asked about release notes on the ECU update but I didn't get a solid answer. My assumption is that they'll never release those information to owners? But honestly, when i picked up the car last week and before having my second and third misfires the same day, I noticed more pops and crackles from the exhaust but I may be wrong at the same time since I was driving a ****ty C300 loaner...

My Sales Associate was telling me they once had a cab misfiring when they were unloading the car for the first time to dealership few months ago.

Last edited by Ben Khoshabeh; 07-02-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Ben Khoshabeh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My first misfire - 2019 AMG C63s Coupe


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: