Sponsored by:

Red vs Silver Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S Coupe
Red vs Silver Brake Calipers

I have a MY18 C63 Coupe with Silver Calipers. I assumed this was on option (or lack thereof), and that my brakes would be the same as one with red calipers. Does anyone know any different?

I found that there might be a difference when shopping for new brake pads, as Porterfield has different options for each caliper color.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-15-2020, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 303 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by cagrinsoni
I have a MY18 C63 Coupe with Silver Calipers. I assumed this was on option (or lack thereof), and that my brakes would be the same as one with red calipers. Does anyone know any different?

I found that there might be a difference when shopping for new brake pads, as Porterfield has different options for each caliper color.

Thanks in advance!

no, they are not and buy the once as specified for your brakes.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S Coupe
Thanks. Do you happen to know what the difference is? Just curious.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
C63
The front brakes are larger on the S, the rears are the same.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 C63
Originally Posted by Slowlane
The front brakes are larger on the S, the rears are the same.
the pads are the same part # for each
Old 01-19-2022, 06:13 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2021 AMG C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by cagrinsoni
Thanks. Do you happen to know what the difference is? Just curious.
The "silver" brakes are standard/only available on the C63 (non-S). The "red" brakes are larger and standard/only available on the S models. See below for a breakdown of each brake available for the c63's. Note that the as of December 2020, the carbon ceramic brakes weren't available. I ordered my C63S in may of 2021 and they were long gone off the dealer order guide. Hope this helps!

The following users liked this post:
twernicke (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 09:16 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C63 AMG
The front rotors with red calipers are 390mm, and rotors with silver calibers are 360mm. Rear are the same. I have silver calipers, there are fewer aftermarket pads for silver calipers. I went with ceramic brake pads instead of semi-metallic. Power Stop Z16, which work great and are unbelievably inexpensive- Grab better than the stock brake pads. I switched out the rotors with Zimmermann Z-Coat rotors. I had bad rear rotors and did the front at the same time. Heavy use, both street and track driving, high speeds with heavy braking- Used in all conditions. Minimal brake fade compared with the stock semi-metallic brake pads. Very cost effective combination and brake pads are still at half after almost 5,000 miles. Rotors should be turned when switching out pads- Especially if pad material is different.
Erik Apple (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 04:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 C63
Originally Posted by cjqamg
The "silver" brakes are standard/only available on the C63 (non-S). The "red" brakes are larger and standard/only available on the S models. See below for a breakdown of each brake available for the c63's. Note that the as of December 2020, the carbon ceramic brakes weren't available. I ordered my C63S in may of 2021 and they were long gone off the dealer order guide. Hope this helps!

yea thanks
Thats a simple way to see and understand
Porterfields actually gave me the front pads for the 63S when I have a 63. Fortunately i figured it out before we started working on the car and they switched them out for me (they are literally 200 yards from my house)

I do have a question, Im getting close to 30k miles, how often do you need to switch out the rotors? Im guessing AMG ones are ridiculously expensive.....
Old 01-19-2022, 09:26 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Erik Apple
yea thanks
Thats a simple way to see and understand
Porterfields actually gave me the front pads for the 63S when I have a 63. Fortunately i figured it out before we started working on the car and they switched them out for me (they are literally 200 yards from my house)

I do have a question, Im getting close to 30k miles, how often do you need to switch out the rotors? Im guessing AMG ones are ridiculously expensive.....
I would recommend going through FCP Euro for your brake parts. They offer an upgrade option to a full floating front rotor with aluminum hat that is a Brembo rotor and is a decent amount lighter than the stock rotor. Plus, they offer a lifetime replacement warranty even on wear items.

I did all my brakes with parts I got through them and everything was perfect.

Here's a link to the thread I started on the subject:
C63 Brake Job
Old 01-20-2022, 06:58 AM

2016 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by SJGetsome
I would recommend going through FCP Euro for your brake parts. They offer an upgrade option to a full floating front rotor with aluminum hat that is a Brembo rotor and is a decent amount lighter than the stock rotor. Plus, they offer a lifetime replacement warranty even on wear items.

I did all my brakes with parts I got through them and everything was perfect.

Here's a link to the thread I started on the subject:
C63 Brake Job

Brembo floating disc retrofit is an excellent option for 390mm red brakes. I was considering upgrading the silver calipers on my C63 to red calipers so I could install these floating disc rotors. It would be interesting to compare the actual performance benefit between floating disc rotor upgrade and the current 360mm brakes on my C63.

Zimermann Z-Coat Rotors
Power Stop Z16 Brake Pads

I tried FCP Euro, FCP Euro sent me front calipers for some BMW. The box said BMW on it- I was incredibly pissed because I wanted to get the work done asap. The rear were correct. I ordered the front rotors from another company to get the job done. I couldn't wait to send the rotors back, have them process the return and then ship out the correct rotors. I swore off FCP Euro.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:55 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
W205 AMG
Originally Posted by Erik Apple
You really only need to change your rotors if they are below the minimum thickness or they have uneven wear on them.

Steel rotors are quite durable. Only my last car, a '17 M3, my rotors were just above the minimum thickness after 30k miles. I would track my car once a quarter and I'd run in the advanced run groups.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:08 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by anwar_hamoude
Brembo floating disc retrofit is an excellent option for 390mm red brakes. I was considering upgrading the silver calipers on my C63 to red calipers so I could install these floating disc rotors. It would be interesting to compare the actual performance benefit between floating disc rotor upgrade and the current 360mm brakes on my C63.

Zimermann Z-Coat Rotors
Power Stop Z16 Brake Pads

I tried FCP Euro, FCP Euro sent me front calipers for some BMW. The box said BMW on it- I was incredibly pissed because I wanted to get the work done asap. The rear were correct. I ordered the front rotors from another company to get the job done. I couldn't wait to send the rotors back, have them process the return and then ship out the correct rotors. I swore off FCP Euro.

If you click on the link I posted to my old thread, you'll see there is an option for the silver calipers as well. Brembo has the full floated rotors in the 360 mm size for the front brakes of the non-S C63. My car is a non-S coupe.

Sucks you had a bad experience with FCP Euro. But the part numbers are in that old thread so you can find another source for the rotors if you're interested.

Last edited by SJGetsome; 01-20-2022 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:07 AM

2016 C63 AMG
Great information, thank you!

If I would have known these were available I would have bought them. If for nothing else the look.

Since I installed new rotors 5,000 miles ago I'll have to pass.

SJGetsome (01-21-2022)