CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Why won't my car start???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big and Heavy 03 CL
Why won't my car start???

For a couple weeks now my CL500 is having difficulty starting at times. It is completely random. There is plenty of juice and it just cranks. I took it to my local tuner and they guessed the problem was the crank sensor and changed it...that was yesterday, it didn't want to start today. I usually wait a few seconds, try it again, and it starts. Any ideas? The only mods I have: BMC filters, Eisenmann Race mufflers, and Sprintbooster. This is really frustrating cuz the crank sensor set me back $588, including "B" service. I didn't go to MB because they won't fix something unless they can reproduce the problem...the car always behaves at the dealer. All of the diagnostics on the car were good during the "B" service. What could it be...sparkplugs?
Old 04-19-2008, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
No, it wouldn't be the spark plugs, Jay. If it were, the car wouldn't run properly after it is started. It is very tough to determine the problem when it is intermittent.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CL500
check your 'crank sensor'

mine went out last year, the car would stall out while driving and wouldn't start sometimes, everything was fine once replaced

good luck
Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 AM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
The frustrating part is that the car is running just fine once started! I changed the crank sensor on Tuesday, so that's not it. Could it be the starter, or something with the intake? I hate to take it to MB because they will have it for a week and tell me it started every time for them and nothing is wrong....same old story, different problem. Thank god my 9 year old Saturn runs like a champ! This car is the biggest letdown.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just as a suggestion, when it won't start, either have it towed to MB (if you're not that far away) or have their roadside mechanics have a look. I can tell you that there is not a person in the world that can tell you what is wrong with a car if the problem is not existent when they are looking at it. The only thing they can do is start replacing parts and we all know how expensive that can get. Again, good luck, Jay, and hope you get it back on the road soon.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Ok, so I just got back from Funktion Auto, the tuner I use, and they now think it might be that my mixture is too lean. If I try to restart the car after it is pretty hot, it just cranks, but you can hear the fuel "popping and chugging." We checked for any error codes on the diagnostic and it was showing none. So, for some odd reason, there is a sensor that is playing with the mixture. Does anyone know of any dealer technical bulletins relating to this issue or are there any software uprgrades from MB for the 03 CL500 that I don't know about? Let me know.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 PM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by Jay9722
Ok, so I just got back from Funktion Auto, the tuner I use, and they now think it might be that my mixture is too lean. If I try to restart the car after it is pretty hot, it just cranks, but you can hear the fuel "popping and chugging." We checked for any error codes on the diagnostic and it was showing none. So, for some odd reason, there is a sensor that is playing with the mixture. Does anyone know of any dealer technical bulletins relating to this issue or are there any software uprgrades from MB for the 03 CL500 that I don't know about? Let me know.
This seems similar to the problem I've been having. Mine finally CEL'ed because of a mixture problem ... which narrows it down to, oh, about a hundred possibilities.

The technicians did a smoke test on it and flashed all of the latest ECU updates. Current theory is that there may be something wrong with the ETC motors, it appears that the ETC is literally not letting the car get air when an attempt is made to start it.

This had been getting progressively worse to the point that it finally "failed" when I brought it into the dealership the last time. This one hasn't been fun, the SA and guys that work on my car have been maintaining my car for three years and I have a lot of respect for them, it's been hard to diagnose.

Intermittant crank position sensor may not CEL, but there will be a code indicating an intermittant problem if that is the case.

Last edited by mclarenm8d; 04-22-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:20 AM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Originally Posted by mclarenm8d
This seems similar to the problem I've been having. Mine finally CEL'ed because of a mixture problem ... which narrows it down to, oh, about a hundred possibilities.

The technicians did a smoke test on it and flashed all of the latest ECU updates. Current theory is that there may be something wrong with the ETC motors, it appears that the ETC is literally not letting the car get air when an attempt is made to start it.

This had been getting progressively worse to the point that it finally "failed" when I brought it into the dealership the last time. This one hasn't been fun, the SA and guys that work on my car have been maintaining my car for three years and I have a lot of respect for them, it's been hard to diagnose.

Intermittant crank position sensor may not CEL, but there will be a code indicating an intermittant problem if that is the case.
The guys at the shop(not MB) seem to think that it should start throwing codes soon, which is when they will be able to fix it. Right now it would just be hit or miss if they started trying to replace things. The crank sensor was replaced...it obviously didn't solve anything.
So what are they doing to fix your car? What is the diagnoses? Should I take it to MB now or wait til it completely fails? Should I get the latest ECU updates?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 AM

The guys at the shop(not MB) seem to think that it should start throwing codes soon, which is when they will be able to fix it. Right now it would just be hit or miss if they started trying to replace things. The crank sensor was replaced...it obviously didn't solve anything.
So what are they doing to fix your car? What is the diagnoses? Should I take it to MB now or wait til it completely fails? Should I get the latest ECU updates?
Hope to have more info by the end of the day, I'll get back with you. MB relayed to the technicians that they should do resistance checks on the ETC motors, we'll see how that plays out.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 PM

Two items were changed along the way - specific ECU flash (don't have the details on which one), and they found a vacuum hose that was cracked in the rear of the intake manifold/supercharger area. I'm thinking it was more than likely the crack in the vacuum hose, my CL55 has a MAP setup on it.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:43 AM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Fixed?

Well MB has the car and they say its the cam timing sensor. Hopefully its fixed. We shall see next week when I pick her up. They suggest spark plugs and fuel filter change. Car only has 50K so I'm gonna wait on the plugs but fuel filter should be changed at 60K anyway.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good deal, Jay. Hope they got her fixed so that you'll be
Old 05-05-2008, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
CPS

is a 30 minute job and the part is about $57 at
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ition%20Sensor
Where do they get off charging you 700 bucks and a wrong diagnosis at that
Cam sensor is 67 bucks and takes even less time to R/R wonder what they are going to charge you for that job?
ohlord
BTW a failing crank sensor may not trip the check engine light nor as often is the case store any code as pending either.Crank sensors failing usually show up in hot stall or hard to start when at operating temp.Cam sensors show up as cold start problems when faulty.Whoever did the diagnosis was guessing or never put your car on a diagnostic scanner at all,or they would have seen the indicators in the data for the cam position sensor and fixed it correctly the first time.
Hacks

Last edited by ohlord; 05-05-2008 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:46 AM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Originally Posted by ohlord
is a 30 minute job and the part is about $57 at
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ition%20Sensor
Where do they get off charging you 700 bucks and a wrong diagnosis at that
Cam sensor is 67 bucks and takes even less time to R/R wonder what they are going to charge you for that job?
ohlord
BTW a failing crank sensor may not trip the check engine light nor as often is the case store any code as pending either.Crank sensors failing usually show up in hot stall or hard to start when at operating temp.Cam sensors show up as cold start problems when faulty.Whoever did the diagnosis was guessing or never put your car on a diagnostic scanner at all,or they would have seen the indicators in the data for the cam position sensor and fixed it correctly the first time.
Hacks
WOW! Relax. Actually, MB caught it on the SDS and the Kleeman guys had it on a generic diagnostic and couldn't find any problems. Dunno what to say. And if you read my original thread, it said the price also included a "B" service, so $588 is pretty good. The hacks also took out a small ding in my door, no charge. Oh, and MB took my receipt from Kleeman and gave me back the cost of the CPS. Not all bad when it comes down to it.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
I

was tired
relaxed now that It all came out well for you.Another member had just told me he had been charged 880 bucks for a mass air sensor at the dealer and as we all know it is a 200 buck part and 10 minutes labor.So I get fed up with the stealership when I here abuses like that.
Glad it all worked out for you.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WOW! Relax. Actually, MB caught it on the SDS and the Kleeman guys had it on a generic diagnostic and couldn't find any problems. Dunno what to say. And if you read my original thread, it said the price also included a "B" service, so $588 is pretty good. The hacks also took out a small ding in my door, no charge. Oh, and MB took my receipt from Kleeman and gave me back the cost of the CPS. Not all bad when it comes down to it.
Been there done that. I used to take my CL into the Palm Beach MB dealer in Florida. The first time they had it they chipped the paint on the door. The next time they had it they called asked it the steering wheel was chipped when I brought it in, which it wasn't. They did take care of both items but I'll never go back.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 AM

2003 cl500
03 cl 500 crankshaft problem

guys,

had my car checked out today due to car stalling somtimes and occasional "wont start issues".. thing... took it to the dealer.. dealers tells me crankshaft position sensor and a butch of lists that i pratically assumed B-service was performed since the diagnosis is similar to that of B-service. the cost paid..? $507...

Is that reasonable..? or is it something i could have done on my own.. fixing the crankshaft sensor... pls comment
Old 12-26-2009, 12:57 PM

08 CL-63 AMG
obi,

I had the exact problem with my 03. Same price, was bummed-but it did fix all my problems. There's no choice in not fixing it.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:04 AM

2003 cl500
thanks jkirk...

so far no problems yet since i had the crankshaft sensor replaced... im hopin it wont happen again... "payin the cost is one thing, but not fixing the right problem is the biggest problem."

one thing, the dealer mentioned that my windshield washer has a leak.. not sure if he s implying that cld be the cause of the problem.. any thoughts..?
Old 12-27-2009, 05:18 PM

08 CL-63 AMG
I can't imagine the two issues are related.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 CL500 W215
2002 CL500 Intermittent start problem

Cars always cranks and usually will start shortly after. Sometimes is just cranks. I turn the ignition off and try it again and will usually start right up. It does it when it is cold or hot. It is not a show stopper. A mechanic told me he thinks it might the fuel pump. Have not had it looked at yet. Curious if some one has ran into similar?