CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Adjusted links and ABC visit workshop on.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RClass ,01 CL500
Adjusted links and ABC visit workshop on.

Hey guys I had a quick question. I was at work and I pulled my car into warehouse cause our ground is pretty level. I had my lowering links installed for few months now rode fine. I was just trying to even out the car as perfect as I could with digital ruler. After I was done with all the links and raising and lowering I pretty much evened out the whole car. When I left probably 5 min later my ABC visit workshop light came on. I thought one of the links got loose and I didn't tighten good enough. I checked and all links were tight and still attached.

When I returned home I tried to raise and lower to see what happens and pump did not work. So I shut car off and tried it again and it worked Workshop light not on anymore. Not sure what happened, do you think by me raising and lowering it numerous time to adjust links somehow locked something up. The pump still works and it will raise and lower but as soon as I drive and park it will not work unless I turn the car off first.

Any advice to try first, or should I leave it overnight to see what happens?

Thanks

Last edited by Ghost25; 07-17-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:27 PM

07 RClass ,01 CL500
After driving to and from work now what I noticed is the WHITE ABC VISIT WORKSHOP light comes on at 30mph from when i first start and drive the car. When I get to work the car is raised higher than my lowered link settings and the pump will not let me raise or lower the car unless I turn the ignition off and on again. It seems as soon as the car gets to 30mph and ABC LIGHT comes on, the car raises slightly and you are not able to control ride height function at all until the car is turned off and restarted.

I just recently experienced this 2 days ago when I was raising and lowering to adjust my links evenly. My mechanic next to our shop specializes in Jaguars and Mercedes and has changed alot of ABC suspension told me to check the struts I may have a leak . I don't notice any sagging on any sides of the vehicle. Most problems I have found of forums are having pump problems and cars with uneven height. My pump is actually working fine. I am just unable to control the pump as soon as the car ABC workshop light comes on at 30mph unless I shut the car off and start it up again. Any ideas please advise.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2013, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Your ABC module is seeing errors and shutting down the system. You need to read the stored codes fromt he ABC module with DAS and see what it going on.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:05 AM

07 RClass ,01 CL500
Awiner, thank you for shedding some light on my issue. I now know what to look for and get it checked out with DAS.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 10:09 PM

07 RClass ,01 CL500
Originally Posted by awiner
Your ABC module is seeing errors and shutting down the system. You need to read the stored codes fromt he ABC module with DAS and see what it going on.
Just a update I noticed my ABC fluid level low on the level stick way below the MOTOR AUS - UNBELADEN which is the motor off side. I purchased some of the abc fluid from the dealer and filled to get it just inside the notch on top.

I thought it would solve but no luck. I will be bringing it in to get it checked out, crossing fingers.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I keep my level a bit low (maybe 1/4 to 1/2" below). I have found if it is filled up to the line when the motor is off, I get a spray of fluid out the vent hole on the back side of the dip stick cap.

Never had a problem with this 'lower' level.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
When you have the codes read you will know where to start looking.

Sometimes a level calibration is all that is needed. Sometimes it is sensor(s).

Sometimes valve blocks leaking although in your case I'd guess one or both of the first two.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
I have the exact same issue with my CL55 I did front end work on my car (front shocks arms ball joints tie rods...) and when my friend put the car down on the ground the car sat in the air so he adjusted the front links the car dropped another .5" from before which is the perfect height that I wanted to have it, after driving from his shop after 25 or 30 mph the ABS light comes on to visit the work shop and you cannot raise the car at all unless you shut it off, I brought it back to my friend he scanned it and he came up with a fault on the rear shocks, it showed him that the sensors are not within a specific a parameter so he tried to do a quick fix but did not work as I had to drop my car off at the body shop. I will have the car back on Friday and will try to fix the problem. So your best bet is to scan the car you most likely have a problem with the height level sensors

Last edited by AndreNY; 07-23-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:40 PM

07 RClass ,01 CL500
Originally Posted by awiner
When you have the codes read you will know where to start looking.

Sometimes a level calibration is all that is needed. Sometimes it is sensor(s).

Sometimes valve blocks leaking although in your case I'd guess one or both of the first two.
Good news so far 2 days in and no ABC workshop light! The other day I checked the fluid and like you said I got the level 1/4 from line. I then drove the car in my my workshop cause I have all my tools etc and thought about what I did prior to error coming on. I reverted to the pass rear link which was almost maxed out as far as lowering and could not get it perfectly with driver side. I swapped links to see if I would have the same issue and I did. This narrowed it down to the passenger rear link level sensor was off a bit. Its not a big difference but I know for sure it is not calibrated right. That was the only link I totally removed from brackets.
I pretty much got the vehicle leveled all around and fluid level right.Also saved some money going to the dealer for now.

Last edited by Ghost25; 07-23-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by Ghost25
Good news so far 2 days in and no ABC workshop light! The other day I checked the fluid and like you said I got the level 1/4 from line. I then drove the car in my my workshop cause I have all my tools etc and thought about what I did prior to error coming on. I reverted to the pass rear link which was almost maxed out as far as lowering and could not get it perfectly with driver side. I swapped links to see if I would have the same issue and I did. This narrowed it down to the passenger rear link level sensor was off a bit. Its not a big difference but I know for sure it is not calibrated right. That was the only link I totally removed from brackets.
I pretty much got the vehicle leveled all around and fluid level right. Also saved some money going to the dealer for now.
That's what happens when you cheap out and go to home depot to get parts to lower your car. I've never had any issues with my lowering module...

R.K.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 PM

07 RClass ,01 CL500
Originally Posted by AndreNY
I have the exact same issue with my CL55 I did front end work on my car (front shocks arms ball joints tie rods...) and when my friend put the car down on the ground the car sat in the air so he adjusted the front links the car dropped another .5" from before which is the perfect height that I wanted to have it, after driving from his shop after 25 or 30 mph the ABS light comes on to visit the work shop and you cannot raise the car at all unless you shut it off, I brought it back to my friend he scanned it and he came up with a fault on the rear shocks, it showed him that the sensors are not within a specific a parameter so he tried to do a quick fix but did not work as I had to drop my car off at the body shop. I will have the car back on Friday and will try to fix the problem. So your best bet is to scan the car you most likely have a problem with the height level sensors
My system is working normal now after tracing all my steps. I finally narrowed it down to my pass rear sensor. I owned alot of different types of cars and work on all of them myself. After owning this for a few months, by far is more complex as far as electrical goes, but enjoy driving it.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:58 PM

07 RClass ,01 CL500
Originally Posted by radride
That's what happens when you cheap out and go to home depot to get parts to lower your car. I've never had any issues with my lowering module...

R.K.
Haha I didn't get it from Home depot, but after looking at them I could of did it in my shop myself. I actually have been thinking of getting the module now. I was wary at the beginning about having to mess with the electronics so I went with the links, but now see more people have them. Which lowering modules are reputable one recommended?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
My system is working normal now after tracing all my steps. I finally narrowed it down to my pass rear sensor. I owned alot of different types of cars and work on all of them myself. After owning this for a few months, by far is more complex as far as electrical goes, but enjoy driving it.
Hold on so how exactly did you fix the problem with the rear sensor what exactly did you do?

P.S. links are fine a lot of ppl run them on their car, I have a Renntech V3 module on order but im going to run both links and a Module so I can go really low
Old 07-24-2013, 10:11 AM

07 RClass ,01 CL500
Originally Posted by AndreNY
Hold on so how exactly did you fix the problem with the rear sensor what exactly did you do?

P.S. links are fine a lot of ppl run them on their car, I have a Renntech V3 module on order but im going to run both links and a Module so I can go really low

I got the error ABC workshop light to stop coming on. I dont think it is absolutely fixed but I narrowed the problem down to my rear pass sensor. When I was adjusting the height before the problem occured. The right rear sensor was not adjusting accurately and the link was at max as far as lowering. I guess the system recognizes the sensor was bad or the height diff and shuts the system down at 25-30mph. What I did was swapped links on the rear to see if I still have the same adjustment problem and I did. Ever since the swap of the rear links and slightly higher height adjustment all around the error hasnt come on yet.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Haha I didn't get it from Home depot, but after looking at them I could of did it in my shop myself. I actually have been thinking of getting the module now. I was wary at the beginning about having to mess with the electronics so I went with the links, but now see more people have them. Which lowering modules are reputable one recommended?

I have the LOMO V2 with remote which is the same one that Renntech uses except it costs a lot less.

R.K.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
As suspected, you probably adjusted the link and pushed the value stored out of range without doing a level calibration via DAS afterwards.

I run a Brabus lowering module set in position I.