CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Where do you place the jack stands?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
Question Where do you place the jack stands?

I know where the 2 round disks are under the rocker panels to jack the car up, but if I want to place jack stands and remove the jack, where do I put them?

Under one of the lower front suspension attachment points?
Old 03-03-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk63 black series
Originally Posted by JHouse
I know where the 2 round disks are under the rocker panels to jack the car up, but if I want to place jack stands and remove the jack, where do I put them?

Under one of the lower front suspension attachment points?
I'm no expert so do this at your own risk but this is what I did when I had my m3 and I had the car up on 2 jacks and 4 jack stands and took all wheels off and It hasn't fell on me....yet. lol

I jacked up the back from the diff and then slid the jacks under the car where the jack points are..so instead of putting the jacks there...I put the jack stands and to not damage the car, I put hockey pucks between the car and the jack stand...hockey pucks are hard enough not to collapse but soft enough not to damage your car....then I proceeded to slowly lower the jack until the jack stands took the weight of the car....then I pumped the jack back up on the diff but just enough to touch the diff just in case the jack stands failed.....then did the same thing to the front and thennnn I took the wheels off.....the car stayed like that for 3 days....with no problems

People might advice you otherwise to what I am saying, and if they are more experienced than I, then you should listen to them. Since you had no replies, I figured I would give you my experience.......take it or leave it at your own risk
Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 PM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
Thanks. Got the job done without them.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:51 AM

CL55, SL500, E350
Put 4 of your ex-es, one under each corner and it will be just fine

Kidding aside, I do the same like bmstyle, put the jack stands then jack it up a bit with the jack for double security
Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
Originally Posted by SLCL
Put 4 of your ex-es, one under each corner and it will be just fine

Kidding aside, I do the same like bmstyle, put the jack stands then jack it up a bit with the jack for double security
I only have three ex-es, and I'm really attached to the current version. It seems like you never have the right tools.
The following users liked this post:
Justins17c43 (09-29-2021)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
I wondered this too. There's no rail to put a stand on. The easiest seems to jack from the A arm or a jack point under the transmission (or the diff, in the rear), and then put the stand on the puck in the corner. Unfortunately there's no way to really jack a corner and put a stand.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Just did a search on this subject as I needed to pull all 4 wheels off my CL65 to mount snow tires on and found this thread. Thought I would throw my .02 worth into the mix after getting under my car to figure out how to pull all 4 tires and leave the car on stands.

Personally I would never jack up my CL65 by the differential. It may work but why risk it when it is not necessary? I simply put my floor jack with a pad designed to work with the factory jack points under the front jack point on one side and easily lifted the entire side of the car. I put one jack stand under the front lower control arm right below the strut attachment and another jack stand under the rear jack pad/point and lowered it onto them. Then took my floor jack to the other side and did the same thing there. Car is sitting now on 4 stands with all 4 tires & wheels off the ground.

Sitting this way it is very stable and safe with no risk to anything and no lifting from a questionable point. Might be tough if you don't have a good floor jack that can lift 1/2 the car, but if you don't then you shouldn't be getting under the car anyway. I would never condone getting under a car supported only by a hydraulic jack.

Trending Topics

Old 01-04-2014, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
I agree about NOT jacking using the diff. I did it that on an older car, and was shocked about how far the diff moved upwards on its bushes before it lifted the car. Maybe it is OK, but I don't think the diff bushes were designed to carry the weight of the car. These aren't live axles.

Also, I wouldn't put stands half-way along the suspension arm - the car is still still sitting on its suspension (kind-of) AND sitting on the stands. One or the other is OK, but not both.

For reasons of necessity, I think I've had my car on stands more than I driven it, and I always put the stands under a meaty part of the subframe. When you put the second stand in, go back to the first one and lift it briefly again. This helps to make sure it wasn't put under any side-load when the second went it. You want the weight vector on each stand to point vertically downwards, through the middle of the base of the stand, not near the edge or corner of the base.

Putting a car on four stands is potentially dangerous.

Nick
Old 01-04-2014, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
I just change one wheel at a time.

R.K.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Taking all 4 of my wheels to a friends shop to have the snow tires put on my rims. I could have just driven the car there but wanted time to wash the wheels & calipers since I am pulling them off anyway. Rather not take up his shop time to do it.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by Dr Matt
Taking all 4 of my wheels to a friends shop to have the snow tires put on my rims. I could have just driven the car there but wanted time to wash the wheels & calipers since I am pulling them off anyway. Rather not take up his shop time to do it.
Oh. You drive your in the winter? Brave man. Mine gets to rest over the winter and has never seen snow.

R.K.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
I've always been one of the guys who drives my stuff all year, just not every day. If the roads are wet & slushy or it is dumping snow I'll drive my Superduty. They don't salt our roads so the roads usually stay frozen solid all winter. Once a snowfall is packed down then it's just solid ice. Have to say though after putting just a few hundred miles of driving in the CL65 this winter, I really don't recommend driving with Continental DW's on ice or snow, LOL.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:13 AM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Originally Posted by Dr Matt
Just did a search on this subject as I needed to pull all 4 wheels off my CL65 to mount snow tires on and found this thread. Thought I would throw my .02 worth into the mix after getting under my car to figure out how to pull all 4 tires and leave the car on stands.

Personally I would never jack up my CL65 by the differential. It may work but why risk it when it is not necessary? I simply put my floor jack with a pad designed to work with the factory jack points under the front jack point on one side and easily lifted the entire side of the car. I put one jack stand under the front lower control arm right below the strut attachment and another jack stand under the rear jack pad/point and lowered it onto them. Then took my floor jack to the other side and did the same thing there. Car is sitting now on 4 stands with all 4 tires & wheels off the ground.

Sitting this way it is very stable and safe with no risk to anything and no lifting from a questionable point. Might be tough if you don't have a good floor jack that can lift 1/2 the car, but if you don't then you shouldn't be getting under the car anyway. I would never condone getting under a car supported only by a hydraulic jack.

+1 Never trust a jack by itself. I'm still trying to figure out the best place to put my jackstands on my w208 CLK 320.

Having said that: I love to see a CL do 10 second 1/4 mi runs. Awesome video! Thanks for sharing.