CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

A "yeah, right" thread on the BMW M5 race stories forum:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Improviz
Heck, even his fellow M5 owners (and our own M&M, no Mercedes fan) were telling him he'd get killed.
My father has a 2003 M5 (Carbon Black). I have driven it extensively. While the M5 is a great car, a lot of fun to drive, it certainly does not have the brute force and torque for straight line acceleration that the current crop of V8 Kompressed AMGs have.

It would be great to see them both run together on a 1/4 mile track though.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by APK1013
A 12.6 was my estimate as to what I would run.
Sure you would...which is why you've consistently refused to go to Moroso and prove it, even when I offered you $500 to do it.

All I know is that from a roll, it takes out the advantage of someone jumping off.
No it doesn't; someone can just as easily hop on the gas sooner in a rolling-start race as from a dead stop.

However, as pointed out to you yesterday, going to a track DOES take out the advantage of a faster reaction time, as no matter what your reaction time, the timeslip will still show your ET. The reaction time is shown separately from the ET and does not figure into the ET.

What exactly is it that you study in school? Your science seems, ah, rather lacking.

Last edited by Improviz; 01-29-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Can anyone host a video for me?

I'd like to show what happened at a 1/4 mile track to a W210 E55 that got a great holeshot on a W211 E55...
Old 01-29-2005, 06:22 PM

2006 VW Passat
its all about amg, somebody shut these bmw boys up, the kompressors are incredible, give amazing boost in hp and torque, but you gotta top it off with some brabus stuff
Old 01-29-2005, 06:24 PM

2006 VW Passat
Sure you would...which is why you've consistently refused to go to Moroso and prove it, even when I offered you $500 to do it.

No it doesn't; someone can just as easily hop on the gas sooner in a rolling-start race as from a dead stop.

However, as pointed out to you yesterday, going to a track DOES take out the advantage of a faster reaction time, as no matter what your reaction time, the timeslip will still show your ET. The reaction time is shown separately from the ET and does not figure into the ET.

What exactly is it that you study in school? Your science seems, ah, rather lacking.
you gotta be crazy to just jump on the gas at a dead stop, that will beat the engine like crazy, especially a manual you gotta be gentle at the start, lol, or else you're going to do some heavy damage
Old 01-29-2005, 06:33 PM

2006 VW Passat
apk's not going to show, he just thought that benz guys were as dumb as bmw guys, the bmw guys have to be stupid for buyin a bmw
Old 01-29-2005, 11:19 PM

yeah mand cause bmw builds naturall aspirated engines without any forced induction and can still manage to hang with Mercedes' turbocharged Kompressors.

It is alot harder then it looks to build an engine like the one in the E60 M5. To build a naturall aspirated high revving engine that can keep pace with just about any AMG out there is remarkable. BMW could just as easily used forced induction on their engines like MB has done with their AMG engines and Audi with their RS6. BMW could just as easily have launched a brand new M5 that would have mind boggling acceleration and straight line performance.

Hell they can even build a supercar and a car with 700 stock horsepower throw some turbos on it to make it run right along side with the Benz big boy 65.

But BMW believes that driving should not be about acceleration from 0-60 it should not be how fast the 1/4 mile is. Instead it should incorporate engineering that includes naturally aspirated engines to hang with the best of the best. It should include handling that would make other cars dream...

After all (regardless of if you like the look or not) BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 01-30-2005, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by ENARANG
BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine
So why couldn't the new M5 beat the MERCEDES SL55 around Nuerburgring?<==(that is a link, btw, ENEMA) Lap times were 8'12" for the Benz, 8'13" for the "ultimate driving machine"....seems like even with the M5 having more rated horsepower, weighing less, wider tires, and two more gears, the Benz still managed to turn a faster lap.

I mean, really...marketing slogans....pretty lame.

Porsche...nothing like it.

Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?

Audi...never follow.

Cadillac...An American Standard For The World.

Saturn...A Different Kind of Company. A Different Kind of Car.

None of which prove anything either...

Anyway, I'm sure the M5 is a blast to drive, but I hate the way it looks. Here are some photos of it, Bangle's latest masterpiece, for your enjoyment:

Last edited by Improviz; 01-30-2005 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
I'll run from a roll but u have to do a run from a roll as well. I will call you up. I claimed to beat a CL55 that I got a great launch on with 20's. A 12.6 was my estimate as to what I would run. All I know is that from a roll, it takes out the advantage of someone jumping off. We should do both just to see.
hate to say it but roll racing is ricey as ****!!!! Dude, you have drag radials im running street tires... if anything u should be the one with an advantage out the hole. W/e, call me and we'll see waht happens!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 06:40 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
ENEMA, priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL
Old 01-30-2005, 08:29 AM

So why couldn't the new M5 beat the MERCEDES SL55 around Nuerburgring?<==(that is a link, btw, ENEMA) Lap times were 8'12" for the Benz, 8'13" for the "ultimate driving machine"....seems like even with the M5 having more rated horsepower, weighing less, wider tires, and two more gears, the Benz still managed to turn a faster lap.
There are suspicious numbers in that test data ( metsgetfeld speed m5 150km/h vs sl55 199km/h and then hoehe m5 269km/h vs sl55 257km/h, please explain) that don't add up and i suspect thats the reason, also consider that the m5 is faster at hockenhiem by 2 sec in a 76 sec lap. Hockenheim may be a lower speed track but the hoehe speed shows that the m5 hangs with the sl55 at speed. Somethings not right.
I may be wrong but the 8:12 was the sl second time at the ring, maybe the m5 will improve next time and the test conditions will be better

Also consider that the m5 is still a 1800kg 4 door sedan and the sl55 has a much lower center of gravity which would help
Old 01-30-2005, 08:42 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
I don't know about US M5's, but the Euro cars are coming with 170mph limiters.....

The 8.12 SL55 was with 155mph limiter. The 186mph limiter SL55 did the Nring in 8.06.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:57 AM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
This thread is one of the most hilarious that I have come across in a long long time. I simply cannot believe that someone can be so thoroughly discredited and humiliated, as APK got himself, and still hang around to come up with more and more excuses. Hats off to you APK for your perseverance; I am really curious, how old are you and what are you studying.

Improviz, I like the fact that you do not let this guy get away with all the big talk that invariably appears in his every fourth or fifth post. I think APK is getting proper ragging that he deserves, with all the proper reminders of his exact words and big talks. I look forward to see more sidesteppings, excuses and buts from Mr. APK. I went back to the first post that started it all, and just the difference in his tone (now) tells the story how much he seems to have been chastised now for the past five months since his first boast.

Cheers,

Zee
Old 01-30-2005, 10:36 AM

2003 BMW M5
Originally Posted by mand
apk's not going to show, he just thought that benz guys were as dumb as bmw guys, the bmw guys have to be stupid for buyin a bmw
Dumb for buying BMW's, at least we can turn too and not just drive straight .
Old 01-30-2005, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Doesn't sound like you can even drive well in a straight line (or "drive straight" as you put it) to me, given that you now want to have your friend do the driving for you!!

If it has to be done at the track and it will be videotaped, I will have my friend drive my car since he is an experienced track driver.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by reggid
There are suspicious numbers in that test data ( metsgetfeld speed m5 150km/h vs sl55 199km/h and then hoehe m5 269km/h vs sl55 257km/h, please explain) that don't add up and i suspect thats the reason,
I hope you're not impugning the integrity of Auto Motor und Sport, are you?

The guy who maintains that site is *extremely* meticulous, and I can assure you that the numbers he's put there are accurate. He is also the proud owner of an E46 M3.

And if Bilal's data is accurate, when the playing field was made a bit more level by using an SL with a speed limiter set higher, it trounced the M5 by several seconds, not just one...the one second run was done with its speed limiter 15 mph slower than the M5's according to Bilal...very impressive.

also consider that the m5 is faster at hockenhiem by 2 sec in a 76 sec lap. Hockenheim may be a lower speed track but the hoehe speed shows that the m5 hangs with the sl55 at speed. Somethings not right.
I may be wrong but the 8:12 was the sl second time at the ring, maybe the m5 will improve next time and the test conditions will be better
Maybe, but my point is that when these cars have to be driven at 10/10 by a driver like von Saurma for there to be a second or so of separation, I would argue that insofar as driving them on the street goes, from a performance aspect, it's enough of a wash to where other preferences will have to be used to make one's final purchase decision. Anyone who drives these cars at 10/10 on the street is a lunatic.

And I mean, come on, really: "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is just so much marketing claptrap. BMWs are quite fun to drive (I own one), but they are NOT in Porsche, or Ferrari, or Lambo, or Elise, etc. territory when it comes to "fun to drive".

Also consider that the m5 is still a 1800kg 4 door sedan and the sl55 has a much lower center of gravity which would help
Hmm, do you have center of gravity for both cars? The SL is built on the S-class chassis--a four door sedan.

Last edited by Improviz; 01-30-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:46 PM

2003 BMW M5
Doesn't sound like you can even drive well in a straight line (or "drive straight" as you put it) to me, given that you now want to have your friend do the driving for you!!

Everybody that I know with a a bimmer that takes it to the track for the first does not pull times near the car's potential. I beat the CL55 on the street, and I am confident that I can do it again on the street. I would be willing to run him from a roll. This helps minimize traction issue and I have to go against the 437 rwhp. I would also go from dig. You just want me to go to the track, and video tape my first run ever and talk about it every minute of your life like you you do with this. I am amazed by all of the free time that you have. By the way, you are the best "hyperlinker" I have ever seen. I was just wondering how long it takes you to make one of those posts that you make.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
blah, blah, blah, excuses, excuses, excuses, same I've been spewing at you Benz owners for three months now, yeah I was lying about going to the track, just like I was lying about beating the CL55, and I suck as a driver, which is why I have to have my friend do my driving for me, so there's no way in hell I could have beaten a CL55, blah, blah, blah, excuses, excuses...
Old 01-30-2005, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
blah, blah, blah, excuses, excuses, excuses...
So, APK, are you going to go to Moroso and drive like you promised to do here seven times? No, you say? So I take it you're admitting that you're a liar whose word cannot be trusted? Gee, that's what I've been saying since day one, and you have been very thoughtfully proving for us! :Y
Old 01-30-2005, 01:24 PM

2006 VW Passat
bmw's will get smoked on a straight line by a benz in that class, and for the races on tracks, why do you think mercedes and mclaren are winning all these races, cause they are simply better than every other car
Old 01-30-2005, 01:25 PM

2006 VW Passat
forget the driving straight, you don't even live a straight life you f@g
Old 01-30-2005, 01:31 PM

2006 VW Passat
Originally Posted by zee
This thread is one of the most hilarious that I have come across in a long long time. I simply cannot believe that someone can be so thoroughly discredited and humiliated, as APK got himself, and still hang around to come up with more and more excuses. Hats off to you APK for your perseverance; I am really curious, how old are you and what are you studying.

Improviz, I like the fact that you do not let this guy get away with all the big talk that invariably appears in his every fourth or fifth post. I think APK is getting proper ragging that he deserves, with all the proper reminders of his exact words and big talks. I look forward to see more sidesteppings, excuses and buts from Mr. APK. I went back to the first post that started it all, and just the difference in his tone (now) tells the story how much he seems to have been chastised now for the past five months since his first boast.

Cheers,

Zee
this thread is hilarious

as for apk, he deserves it, the benz guys will give you justice
Old 01-30-2005, 01:34 PM

'04 Clk 55 AMG blk/blk
The Kid's a moron, plain and simple.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Interesting....

....I looked at APK's last post, and he's up to 114 posts now, spanning three months, and still hasn't shown up to run any supercharged AMG.

Now, stop and think about this: if we charitably assume that he spent about 4 minutes reading and responding to posts, this means that he's spent about 456 minutes wasting our time with BS excuses and lies on this forum. This comes out to 27,360 seconds.

Further, despite his BS claim of having beaten a CL55 from a dead stop, it has become clear that in reality, he can't launch his car for ****. Why? Well, for one, he insists on racing from a roll, and for two, he'd only go to Moroso if his friend can drive for him. So, I'm thinking that he couldn't turn any better than a 14.0 in his M5.

Which means that in the 27,360 seconds he's spent here wasting our time, telling lies, and making lameass excuses, he could have done 1,954 1/4 mile runs.

Which more than anything else tells you how desparately he wants to avoid this race at any cost.

Which is why he keeps making excuses and not showing up.

Last edited by Improviz; 01-30-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:35 PM

2006 VW Passat
Everybody that I know with a a bimmer that takes it to the track for the first does not pull times near the car's potential. I beat the CL55 on the street, and I am confident that I can do it again on the street
You're an idiot, let alone a jack@ss, for racing on the street, you are asking to get fined, lose your licence, or get into a fatal accident, take it to the track you idiot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A "yeah, right" thread on the BMW M5 race stories forum: