CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

City lights are in, need HID color recommendations...4500k or 6000k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
City lights are in, need HID color recommendations...4500k or 6000k?

aight so i finally put in my city lights and now im torn between the color HIDs i want to put into my foglights (4500k or 6000k)....i want to stick to superwhite (do NOT want blue) but at the same time i want to match the city lights on my CLK (the smaller inner ovals next to the headlights)...its hard to find good bulbs for those so i figured id get the HIDs to match those city lights that i have (instead of the opposite).....i took some pics so u guys can give me some recommendations....its hard to capture lights with the camera but i realized the best way i could do it is to have the flash on but cover up the flash with my finger....it gave the most accurate results but still not totally accurate...the city lights look like they match the fog angels [in the pics] in blueness but theyre actually not as blue....

please keep in mind the HIDs are for my fogs and NOT headlights..and NOT the city lights...

these are what they need to match to:

these are sum pics with the city lights on and the angel eyes fogs:

and these pics show headlights, city lights, and angel fogs on:

i am NOT trying to match the OEM xenon headlights because im probably gunna b changin those out for the new projector headlights neway...so right now my main concern is matching the city lights....ill probably b driving around with the city lights and HID fogs pretty often...

so would 4500K be too yellow and not white enough or just right?
or will 6000K be better or too blue?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
i think I saw it on another post, but where did you get those city lights from? cuz those would match my headlights cuz I already have xenon and i hate how the inners don't match
Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
You will need to upgrade to 6000K lights if you want to match the city lights... Trust me you won't be disappointed!!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
Originally Posted by DevilsAngel
i think I saw it on another post, but where did you get those city lights from? cuz those would match my headlights cuz I already have xenon and i hate how the inners don't match
i got the city lights from autolumination.com ......under Ba9...n i got the 3rd picture down - Ba9s Superstar Led Bulbs....BUT you have to grind down one nub on them which i didnt even do and just forced it and and kinda broke one of the holsters..ANDD even worse - it doesnt fit through the socket that you send the bulb through ..its too wide...it gets in but not all the way and not enough so its not in there all the way and i just put some double sided tape around it and its staying okay now...n then i just had to force that round plastic cover back on (since the city light holster wasnt in as much as it shouldnt be)...the guy from the site recommended these and said theyd fit but they obviously werent good...i wouldnt recommend these....the color on them is actually okay though...

and ghostrider...i just ended up ordering 6000k prolumen HIDs to put into the hella optilux 2500 fogs
Old 07-30-2007, 03:05 PM

2000 CLK 430
so it was just swapping out the bulbs in there for the led's from that site?
no other modifications needed to electrical, etc?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
i got the city lights from autolumination.com ......under Ba9...n i got the 3rd picture down - Ba9s Superstar Led Bulbs....BUT you have to grind down one nub on them which i didnt even do and just forced it and and kinda broke one of the holsters..ANDD even worse - it doesnt fit through the socket that you send the bulb through ..its too wide...it gets in but not all the way and not enough so its not in there all the way and i just put some double sided tape around it and its staying okay now...n then i just had to force that round plastic cover back on (since the city light holster wasnt in as much as it shouldnt be)...the guy from the site recommended these and said theyd fit but they obviously werent good...i wouldnt recommend these....the color on them is actually okay though...

and ghostrider...i just ended up ordering 6000k prolumen HIDs to put into the hella optilux 2500 fogs
Next time you should file down one of the nubs, but not all the way so it will fit snug in the city light holder.

Autolumination is crap, go with Ultraled in the UK. They cost a little, take a little longer to get but it's well worth it.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
Originally Posted by wnycec
so it was just swapping out the bulbs in there for the led's from that site?
no other modifications needed to electrical, etc?
The "bulb out" warning might come on b/c they likely draw a smaller amount of current. TK says he gets the message sometimes

But, on their site (autolumination or what not), they have a connector end piece with a resistor in the middle (you can make it from radioshack w/ a resistor and 2 pieces of wire) and it's like $6. It changes the amount of current so the bulb out warning doesn't come on.
EDIT: it's called a load equalizer. 5-7 bucks. You want either the 25 watt or the 50 watt, not positive.

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

The site tells you which one to get depending on whether it's for headlights, taillights, city lights, etc. (havent put the lights in yet tho)

Last edited by da_guitarist; 07-30-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by da_guitarist
The "bulb out" warning might come on b/c they likely draw a smaller amount of current. TK says he gets the message sometimes

But, on their site (autolumination or what not), they have a connector end piece with a resistor in the middle (you can make it from radioshack w/ a resistor and 2 pieces of wire) and it's like $6. It changes the amount of current so the bulb out warning doesn't come on.
EDIT: it's called a load equalizer. 5-7 bucks. You want either the 25 watt or the 50 watt, not positive.

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

The site tells you which one to get depending on whether it's for headlights, taillights, city lights, etc. (havent put the lights in yet tho)
I don't trust those, so I just roll around with the bulb out message...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 AM

99' CLK 320 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Next time you should file down one of the nubs, but not all the way so it will fit snug in the city light holder.

Autolumination is crap, go with Ultraled in the UK. They cost a little, take a little longer to get but it's well worth it.
I got these......

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/uh6w-bax9...a76ec6dad9d36e

They work great and no filing. Might try out the wide angle too.
Will post pics when I get a chance.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:45 PM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by clarkspark
I got these......

ya if you get pics I would like to see them before I buy them. the fact that the city lights don't match my headlights bothers me big time. And also you haven't had any problems with them????
Old 08-01-2007, 07:36 AM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Off the top of my head I don't remember the exact h6w's I got from ultraled's, but I put those in my car as well. My hid's have a slight purple tint to them (hard to tell in the pictures) so it doesn't really match either. If you have a different temperature light and your hid's are more blue they would probably match very well.
Attached Thumbnails City lights are in, need HID color recommendations...4500k or 6000k?-dsc01685-1.jpg   City lights are in, need HID color recommendations...4500k or 6000k?-dsc01687-1.jpg  
Old 08-02-2007, 01:09 AM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by jtbeche
Off the top of my head I don't remember the exact h6w's I got from ultraled's, but I put those in my car as well. My hid's have a slight purple tint to them (hard to tell in the pictures) so it doesn't really match either. If you have a different temperature light and your hid's are more blue they would probably match very well.
ya my hid's have a purplish tint to them also, but the ones that you have look so much better then the ugly stock lights.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
what temperature HID you got?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
I got these......

did you get the bulb out message? the bulb is an exact fit to OEM harness?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Originally Posted by jalberto
what temperature HID you got?
Not a clue. I'd assume they're factory temp bulbs as the guy I bought it from didn't seem to have much of a clue other than it was a Mercedes.

By the way, the lights fit without any problems so yes, it was a fit to the OEM harness. Unfortunately they do give the bulb out warning unless you get the resistors or load equalizers or whatever you want to call them.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
dono but ur city lights look toooo blue for me...ur headlight and fog light colors look good tho ....u got HIDs in the fogs too? they seem like a good match to ur headlights
Old 08-03-2007, 07:28 AM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Yeah, they're too blue for me as well.....especially since my HID's give off a purple hue. I've actually thought about taking them out and putting back in the stock bulbs so I wouldn't need to mess around with the bulb warning. My fogs are just the good old Silverstars. No HID's, but they are much whiter than a normal light. They do look like they match in the picture but in reality they don't. They do look a whole lot nicer than just a standard bulb though.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:38 PM

99' CLK 320 Coupe
did you get the bulb out message? the bulb is an exact fit to OEM harness?
I can't tell at the moment since my fogs already give me that warning. Just ordered some new fogs and will install this weekend. To tell ya the truth my city lights almost look like jtbeche's but brighter. Hopefully can get some pics this weekend too. (Must...borrow...camera lol)

Btw it was an exact fit. No probs. Now I need HIDs, partically the 6000k which is bluish white.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
did you get the bulb out message?
I roll with bulb out message....
Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
thanks for the help guys...i got the 6000k prolumens from jlevisw and they look great!...heres a daytime and nighttime pic of em in my fogs...im just waiting on my temporary matchin 6000k for my headlights to come in now...til i get the projector headlites...

Old 08-14-2007, 09:33 AM

99' CLK 320 Coupe
My gawd man, are those laser beams your fogs are shooting?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
My gawd man, are those laser beams your fogs are shooting?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:47 PM

99' CLK 320 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Bored at work
Old 08-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
Originally Posted by DevilsAngel
ya if you get pics I would like to see them before I buy them. the fact that the city lights don't match my headlights bothers me big time. And also you haven't had any problems with them????
just installed the LED bulbs from ULTRALEDS and damn do they make a huge difference! cost me about $25 bucks to get them shipper here but well worth it. Bulbs were easy install but bulb out indicator came on immediately. I did get one of the bulbs with one of the tiny LED that does not light up but i hope to get it solved with the supplier.

some pics...
Attached Thumbnails City lights are in, need HID color recommendations...4500k or 6000k?-pict3873.jpg   City lights are in, need HID color recommendations...4500k or 6000k?-pict3874.jpg