CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

gas station put regular in my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your mom
gas station put regular in my car

i'm posting from my phone...as im sitting on the side of the road. i just filled up the car at a local gas station. turns out...the guy put in regular when i asked for super. needless to say, the car stopped running about 2 miles down the road. what now? i'm towing it back there. i assume they can take out the bad gas, change the fuel filter and i'll be ok? HELP ME!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55
Seems to me your car shouldnt have died. Unless you romped on it so hard that your engine over detonated because of the lower octane. I could be wrong tho.....
Old 03-23-2008, 02:25 PM

S500
I would take the car to the dealer? but does the gas station have a little shop? If so they should be able to empty the gas tank. Just disconnect the gas line and let the fuel run out. any repair I would have the Dealer do and have the gas station pay for it. make sure you get your tank of gas too...
Old 03-23-2008, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Car shouldn't have stopped because of gas. Modern cars have all kinds of systems in place to deal with lesser grade gas and will (or should) run on it until it is all used up.

M
Old 03-23-2008, 02:26 PM

S500
Originally Posted by rick2964
Seems to me your car shouldnt have died. Unless you romped on it so hard that your engine over detonated because of the lower octane. I could be wrong tho.....
I was going to say the same thing, I dont think one time of low octane fuel is really going to do anything to you car, just use up some of the fuel, and then as soon as you can like when you get to half or 3/4 tank put some high octane gas like 91, or 93 if you can, to get the octane level back up

whats the octane on the fuel they put in? Your car shouldnt have died tho
Old 03-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
car definitely shouldn't have died. If you're really worried about the fuel in the tank, you could always drop in some octane booster.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:02 PM

your mom
Ok, I'm home

The car was on empty beforehand. I put in $30 at the station and drove off. Literally less than 2 miles down the road it just died. I thought maybe the transmission slipped into neutral because I felt the car stop pushing forward (I was driving normally). I then saw every dummy light on the car light up and then I had to coast to the side of the road.

5 minutes later I was able to start the car, but "start" might be a better description. I wouldn't be able to drive it anywhere, but it was technically running. We flat bedded it back to the station, and I was able to put the car in reverse and barely back into a spot.

I have no CLUE what happened. I left the owner a note to call me ASAP. The guy working there didn't really speak English so he was no help.

It just seems very, very fishy that 2 miles after I put gas in the car dies. It was fine as I was driving TO the gas station.

I think they put in 87, but who knows. The station has 87, 89 and 92. My receipt says regular and the price per gallon corresponded their 87 gas.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
It's conjecture, but since the car will "run" (albeit badly) on gasoline with a much lower octane rating than 87, I would guess the station's fuel tanks have water in them. Water is heavier than gas, and your pickup is at the bottom, so that would explain why the engine stopped.

The absolute last place I'd have look at the problem is the gas station. For water in the lines, the tank should be drained (pull the line before the pump), and the fuel lines should be flushed (both send and return lines). Doing this at home would require having someplace to dispose of 16 gallons of poor quality fuel.

The bad thing about water is the fuel injectors use gasoline as a lubricant. Having the car die quickly may have been a blessing.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Something similar happened to me once, but not in my MB. I filled my tank with Chevron, it started, ran for less than 10 seconds and died. I had not even left the gas station lot by then. I had it towed to a dealer (still under the new car warranty) and they discovered I had about 8 gallons of water in the tank. Like Marcus said, it could easily be water in the gas but not as much as I had. That car's fuel pump drew from the bottom of the tank too.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Have

you checked the charging system and the battery?Sounds like that may be the problem.Your knock sensors would tell the ecu to adjust the timing for the low octane fuel.
ohlord
call mb roadside assist they will come out and test the battery and alternator for free and install a battery at cost no labor if needed.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
(not saying this smart a-ss) Do you know what diesel smells like? Take a whiff of the gas opening.

Perhaps diesel pumped in?

Regular wouldn't cause her to die.

Unless it was loaded with water or something.

edit*** There's still full service stations out there???
Old 03-23-2008, 06:43 PM

09 335i 03 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
(not saying this smart a-ss) Do you know what diesel smells like? Take a whiff of the gas opening.

Perhaps diesel pumped in?

Regular wouldn't cause her to die.

Unless it was loaded with water or something.

All of New Jersey is full service stations only its a law.

Sorry about the car getting regular gas...I'm sure you'll work it out, keep us posted.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Yes but you give up english as a communication. I use a couple in my town.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Are you sure he didn't put diesel in it? I know it's unlikely since the diesel nozzles are usually larger diameter and don't usually fit into a gasoline receptical. Any regular gasoline you can buy in the US should not cause your car to shut down, especially after only 2 miles, unless you have your car tuned for 100+ race fuel, even then it should still run on 87.

Did he leave the cap off? I have heard of that causing problems, appearently it is quite frequent with Audis.

How low was you tank when you re-fueled? If you were down to nothing you could have upset some particals of crap that can accumulate at the bottom of the tank and sucked them into the fuel line and clogged a filter, but this is the most unlikely scenerio.

Last edited by jrcart; 03-23-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 PM

your mom
Originally Posted by jrcart
Are you sure he didn't put diesel in it? I know it's unlikely since the diesel nozzles are usually larger diameter and don't usually fit into a gasoline receptical. Any regular gasoline you can buy in the US should not cause your car to shut down, especially after only 2 miles, unless you have your car tuned for 100+ race fuel, even then it should still run on 87.

Did he leave the cap off? I have heard of that causing problems, appearently it is quite frequent with Audis.

How low was you tank when you re-fueled? If you were down to nothing you could have upset some particals of crap that can accumulate at the bottom of the tank and sucked them into the fuel line and clogged a filter, but this is the most unlikely scenerio.
I don't think he put diesel in it, but I will go back and see if the nozzle was near where my car was. I'm not even sure they have diesel there.

The tank was LOW when I filled it. It was on the last black line, which is why I went to this particular place (closest). I usually prefer to pump my own gas, and I rarely let it get this low, if ever.

I will check the gas cap tomorrow morning when I go to the gas station.

Needless to say, very very worried

PS - I had the car inspected yesterday at the same gas station. Passed no problems. I had a PPI done at Rallye when I bought the car (about 2,000 miles ago) and everything was a-ok.

Last edited by Act of God; 03-23-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:03 PM

2006 CLK350
i know i've pumped regular into my car before, and it runs fine. i've also tried the middle one before (super?) and it was ok too. i usually use super but i know the few times i havent the car still ran.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Act of God
Ok, I'm home

The car was on empty beforehand. I put in $30 at the station and drove off. Literally less than 2 miles down the road it just died. I thought maybe the transmission slipped into neutral because I felt the car stop pushing forward (I was driving normally). I then saw every dummy light on the car light up and then I had to coast to the side of the road.

5 minutes later I was able to start the car, but "start" might be a better description. I wouldn't be able to drive it anywhere, but it was technically running. We flat bedded it back to the station, and I was able to put the car in reverse and barely back into a spot.

I have no CLUE what happened. I left the owner a note to call me ASAP. The guy working there didn't really speak English so he was no help.

It just seems very, very fishy that 2 miles after I put gas in the car dies. It was fine as I was driving TO the gas station.

I think they put in 87, but who knows. The station has 87, 89 and 92. My receipt says regular and the price per gallon corresponded their 87 gas.
A tank of 87 would not do anything like that. In fact, just driving around town you wouldn't even notice that the knock sensors had retarded the timing. It could be that the accelerator pedal module has died. It's a very common problem on this engine at about 60,000 miles. When it fails, the ECU and TCU get conflicting data about pedal position. You start from a stop in fifth gear, and it's zero-to-60 in about 30 minutes.

It's a five minute job to replace and the part is about $200. They either filled your tank with water or you have a coincidental failure, very possibly the pedal module.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:53 PM

your mom
Originally Posted by whoover
A tank of 87 would not do anything like that. In fact, just driving around town you wouldn't even notice that the knock sensors had retarded the timing. It could be that the accelerator pedal module has died. It's a very common problem on this engine at about 60,000 miles. When it fails, the ECU and TCU get conflicting data about pedal position. You start from a stop in fifth gear, and it's zero-to-60 in about 30 minutes.

It's a five minute job to replace and the part is about $200. They either filled your tank with water or you have a coincidental failure, very possibly the pedal module.
The car won't even really idle, wouldn't the pedal module only affect functions of the car associated with pressing on the pedal? I'd assume idling would be normal?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:07 PM

C55
thats odd it should have just pulled timing.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Act of God
The car won't even really idle, wouldn't the pedal module only affect functions of the car associated with pressing on the pedal? I'd assume idling would be normal?
Could be a MAF. Could still be the pedal module. In any case, +1 on having it flatbedded to the dealer, not the gas station.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 AM

your mom
I'm going to go to the station tomorrow and see what the guy says. I'm going to tell him I think there was water in the gas. I called my guy at Mercedes and I'm waiting on him to call me back.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
The car shouldn't have quit running. The car has knock sensors that will prevent detonation by dialing back the timing. At worst it should have felt like it was down on power. Sounds like its time for a visit to the dealer!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:48 AM

your mom
Originally Posted by whoover

Tried to start it today, it would just continually turn over.

I beleive you are the winner, and my savior. I had the guy at the station hook it up to the computer and the accelerator pedal sensor came right up. Hopefully this will be an easy fix, I'm going to try to get my mercedes guy to come by (since it is a 5 minute job) instead of having me tow it all the way there.

Updates to continue
Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 PM

your mom
Just talked to my benz mechanic

I just got off the phone with my guy at the dealership. He said that the car should still start if it is only the accelerator pedal module that went bad. He thought it makes no sense that the car won't even start up, because the pedal isn't depressed when you do start the car.

Ugh
Old 03-24-2008, 05:40 PM

CLK 55 AMG
good luck dude keep us informed, i ran out of fuel the other day caused my engine to misfire thought i had ****ed up the car but was ok afterwaRDS.

dont worry

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: gas station put regular in my car