Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2007 Bluetech needs ULSD!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My 2007 Bluetech needs ULSD!

I took delivery on an '07 Bluetec on 10.30.06 and finding ULSD is somewhat of a challenge. What I am having to do is call the corporate owner's of the convenience stores to ask whether the pumps have been updated to ULSD as most all of them still contain the LSD 500ppm stickers. However, I travel quite frequently and don't have the luxury of contacting the corporations in the cities that I visit. Having said, I see that most of the traditional truck stops along the interstate are carrying ULSD in the truck lanes. I pulled up to the truck lane, opened my fuel door, only to find a bezel inside preventing me from angling the fat diesel nozzle in my tank. I called my MERZ dealer and he told me that this was purposely done to prevent dispensing traditional diesel fuel into the tank. Having said, does anyone know of a nozzle adapter that will convert the 18 wheeler diesel nozzle down to the auto diesel sized nozzle?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Be careful...

Even when not travelling, if you call corporate and they say the new fuel has been supplied, it may be out of spec. Here's why:

Let's say the underground tank is a 20,000 gallon tank and its getting low. So a delivery is scheduled.

Assume the tank is around 5,000 gallons when refilled. So it has 5,000 gallons of 500ppm sulfur. Then its topped off to 20,000 gallons by adding 15000 gallons of ULSD (15 ppm). So the resulting blend is actually 136 ppm. This is way out of spec and will goof up your particulate trap. Maybe not right away, but after a couple tanks you will have a problem.

It takes several cycles for the gas station to be in spec. So just because ULSD was put in the ground doesn't mean its in spec. Hence, they are probably choosing not to relable the pumps yet to cover their butts.

So anyway, the truck stop is your best bet (sells a lot of fuel). You could probably have a muffler shop make a doodad out of exhaust pipe or even buy an exhuast pipe adapter that would fit the end of the truck nozzle to reduce to car size. What a hassle.

I have a 1984 Lincoln Mark VII BMW turbo diesel, it has the big nozzle. It's perfect, accepts small or big.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
All stations that sell on-road diesel (non dyed red), are 15ppm. It's the law. They face big fines from the EPA if they still sell 500ppm diesel to on-highway vehicles.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:17 AM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Diesel Funnel

I had a late night, early am experience of being almost out of diesel in a rural part of the country, with just truck stop fillers. Since then I carry a funnel that will allow me to use truck stop diesel with the large dispensers. I think I got it at Napa.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
All stations that sell on-road diesel (non dyed red), are 15ppm. It's the law. They face big fines from the EPA if they still sell 500ppm diesel to on-highway vehicles.
This is only true in California at this time. All other states are free to sell either (or both) 15 ppm or 500 ppm fuel until December of 2010, when ULSD becomes required nationwide. That is why you need to check the label on the pump before you fuel. Buyer beware if you are driving a Bluetec.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
That's true in California now, but not true for the rest of the U.S. Currently, refineries are required to produce ULSD for 80% of their output. Starting October 2010 all highway diesel will be required to be ULSD.

http://www.clean-diesel.org/highway.html

Although ULSD fuel will be the dominant highway diesel fuel produced, EPA does not require service stations and truck stops to sell ULSD fuel. Therefore, it is possible that ULSD fuel might not be available initially at every service station or truck stop and that a diesel retailer may choose to sell Low Sulfur Diesel fuel instead of ULSD fuel. The industries involved in the transition are doing all they can to minimize potential inconveniences during the conversion to the new diesel fuel.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 262 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by cdiken
I have a 1984 Lincoln Mark VII BMW turbo diesel...
Really?! Wow, that's a rare one...
Old 11-16-2006, 04:57 PM
LNL

C300
Originally Posted by swich2mac
... finding ULSD is somewhat of a challenge.

Exactly why I backed out of taking delivery of the BlueTec I ordered. Still no fuel available within a reasonable driving distance from my home or work. In my opinion, Mercedes rolled out the BlueTec too early.

Lou
Old 11-16-2006, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by LNL
Exactly why I backed out of taking delivery of the BlueTec I ordered. Still no fuel available within a reasonable driving distance from my home or work. In my opinion, Mercedes rolled out the BlueTec too early.
ALL 2007 diesel vehicles--not just Mercedes--MUST run ULSD.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:57 PM

2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Alan

Yes very rare.

Its the engine from the BMW 524td. Ford only made the car one year, it barely sold, as the market for diesel cars went in the toilet thanks to GM.

About 1200 were made, so just a few exist today on the road. You'll probably never see one. There is a "TURBODIESEL" badge on the trunk, that's it.

They are very reliable, powerful, and smooth. It's a 2.4-liter straight six. Dual exhuast. It has a big Garrett turbo, so lots of lag but when it comes on it pulls like a small V8. 4-spd ZF auto overdrive trans, 3.73:1 gears, about 38 MPG highway miles. 25 gallon tank = about 900 mile unrefueled range highway. Super smooth idle, no shake, smoother idle than the CDI.

I also have a very rare Chevy S10 diesel, it has an Isuzu diesel motor, Chevy made it only in 1983 and 1984. Its a road turtle, shakes at idle, but still pretty cool, it has that classic diesel clatter. 5 spd manual = 44 mpg.

Last edited by cdiken; 11-16-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by LNL

Lou
Not too early for Arizona. I took delivery about three weeks ago - and I cannot find a station here that doesn't have ULSD. Amazing that there's so much variability across the country.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:12 PM

Received 262 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by cdiken
Its the engine from the BMW 524td. Ford only made the car one year, it barely sold, as the market for diesel cars went in the toilet thanks to GM.
Cars before their time. They put the BMW td motor in the Continental as well, didn't they? And that funky Vixen motorhome-like thing.

Speaking of Isuzu diesels, don't know if you heard that Toyota is trying to buy a stake in Isuzu right now to get hold of their diesel technology.

And to stay on topic, I've noticed some stations even here in CA recently that don't have the ULSD label on pumps. Not sure what's coming out of them, but not having to be concerned is one of the reasons I bought a CDI instead of waiting for the Bluetec.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:04 AM

CA doesn't have to sticker the pumps because only ULSD is sold there as of 9/1/2006.

As part of the S15 (ULSD) regulation, the EPA requires that new labels be placed on every diesel dispenser in the United States, excluding California. The label should be located near the indicator that shows how many gallons you have pumped into your diesel vehicle.

If the diesel fuel is S15 (ULSD) then the label will be titled "Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel". If the diesel fuel is S500 (LSD) then the label will be titled "Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel". All Chevron and Texaco diesel dispensers, excluding those dispensers in California, were appropriately labeled by June 1, 2006.

In California, the state has mandated that ULSD be the only fuel available. Therefore, the EPA has exempted California from labeling dispenser pumps
source: http://www.chevron.com/products/prod.../ulsd.shtml#A9

Last edited by Talbot; 11-17-2006 at 01:10 AM.