Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MB bluetec lawsuit in USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 03:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2014ML 350 Blutec
Makes sense, either way some supplier has been working overtime to produce all these new parts. My opinion is that MBUSA has garnered some extra
goodwill from many of us, very few hassles getting this done, loaner cars and quick service. I’m impressed and happy
Old 04-26-2021, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
It is impressive, especially comparing that 3 years ago MB USA could not deliver single DPF for those cars (mark as rebuild as well).
I paid about $3200 for it and about 3 months later dealer informed me that the part never left Stuttgart, so I took my money back and went for delete.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2014ML 350 Blutec
And I think that was part of delay from
agreeing to settling and the time to open up repairs, the GL’s must have some
parts that take
longer to make! Having an ML was lucky
Old 04-27-2021, 11:24 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
E250 Diesel
So, I did perform my 0 to 60 test after the AEM was done. No brake torguing.... just from stand still to squashing the pedal to the floor, I got 8.2 seconds both ways (no wind to speak of that day). Dry weather with about 60 degrees temp. I think it's about 0.2 seconds quicker than what it was before. Perhaps a clean DPF gives you a better throughput. Not sure. So far, however, my gas mileage is slightly worse. We are talking less than 5% difference. I will need more time to be sure.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 E250 blutec
need parts from Germany

Just had my 2015 E250 bluetec AEM completed at dealership. Check engine light came on before I even got to the house. Threw code U010E "Lost communication with Reductant control module"...contacted the dealership SA but she hasn't responded. Anyone have/know about this code after the emissions modifications?

Update: MB service determined that the Adblue injector needed replaced. They wanted me to pay $1100 for that job...I told them it was under warranty since I had the AEM campaign service completed....they text me back and said yes it was and will be completed tomorrow....tomorrow came and gone...no call back from service advisor...I'm sure there will be more issues to address from this AEM...

Update2: no response form SA so I text her about needing a loaner car. Go to dealership to find out part won't be here until June from Germany!! Loaner car people say I have to get an older C300 loaner because the newer loaners cars are for customers using them shorter time...whatever, I guess...Looks like this will drag on for awhile
Update3: Over one and 1/2 months later....Part from Germany arrived and installed....adblue metering valve/injector replaced....vehicle check engine light came on after 40 miles of driving...threw code P2080 according to my Icarsoft scanner....will take back to dealership this week...I knew this was going to be a hot stinking mess...to be continued
Update4: picked up vehicle...drove home and threw a code before I got home again...Returned to dealership....they replaced part number 000-905-64-04, again...service advisor said the previous part was wrong type..bunch of boo boo nonsense...we'll see
Update5: Several days later vehicle ready. Has been running well over the last couple of weeks with no issues. However, fuel mileage has dropped from 38mpg to 30mpg over last two fill ups...not happy

Last edited by cogtx; 08-11-2021 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-27-2021, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds like they did not plug the harness socket properly.
On 1 of my Sprinters the only job was NOx sensor replacement they left it finger-screw in, while the new module was hanging loose on the screws.
The following users liked this post:
cogtx (04-27-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 06:47 PM

E250 Diesel
So I've been talking to some of my lawyer friends who also know a thing or two about cars. As they see it (referring to the language in the settlement), they are going to test for emissions once again in the next 18 months to 24 months. if it turns out that the current fix was just a band-aid (they think so because there really isn't a way to treat diesel emissions when the car is cold) they are going to push for another settlement. I was about to sell the car but I am having second thoughts now. this may not go away soon. More dollars ahead.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:16 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by mellonc
…they think so because there really isn't a way to treat diesel emissions when the car is cold…
I’m not an engineer, but it’s my understanding that the new copper DOC (diesel oxidation catalyst) is expressly there to improve cold start emissions.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedez Benz ML 350 BlueTec 2012
So, I did perform my 0 to 60 test after the AEM was done. No brake torguing.... just from stand still to squashing the pedal to the floor, I got 8.2 seconds both ways (no wind to speak of that day). Dry weather with about 60 degrees temp. I think it's about 0.2 seconds quicker than what it was before. Perhaps a clean DPF gives you a better throughput. Not sure. So far, however, my gas mileage is slightly worse. We are talking less than 5% difference. I will need more time to be sure.
Just got my ML350 back w the fix on Thursday - very rough and very long to start up - are you seeing this at all? Everything else seems as before, but I haven't done any actual testing...
Old 04-29-2021, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So I've been talking to some of my lawyer friends who also know a thing or two about cars. As they see it (referring to the language in the settlement), they are going to test for emissions once again in the next 18 months to 24 months. if it turns out that the current fix was just a band-aid (they think so because there really isn't a way to treat diesel emissions when the car is cold) they are going to push for another settlement. I was about to sell the car but I am having second thoughts now. this may not go away soon. More dollars ahead.
Nevada smog test check for particulate, while having vehicles on the rolls.
My vehicles pass it with 0 recorded (40 allowable) units, even with the car who has DPF deleted. Only time I had 3 or 4 units recorded when I took the car for smog straight from the house, so engine was running for 1.4 miles downhill.
Meaning MB is not like monster diesel trucks running coal and from the way I understand the settlement, it is not about breaking EPA emission limits, but about advertising it even better than it really is.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E 320
Hello everyone. New member, although I've been reading this thread specifically for a few months. My 14 E320 gets the AEW mods tomorrow at MB of Raleigh (NC). I do a lot of highway driving and the car has averaged 45.2 mpg over the last 60k miles, at least that's what the car's calculation tells me. It also has been problem free...exactly what I wanted in a MB diesel. I'll post my observations of the cars performance after the I get a couple hundred miles on it which will be by the end of the weekend.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:30 AM

E250 Diesel
Originally Posted by PaintedQuail
Just got my ML350 back w the fix on Thursday - very rough and very long to start up - are you seeing this at all? Everything else seems as before, but I haven't done any actual testing...
I didn't notice any difference in terms of the typical diesel "clatter" being louder than before nor did I notice a long start up time. this sounds strange. keep us posted.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:31 AM

E250 Diesel
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
I’m not an engineer, but it’s my understanding that the new copper DOC (diesel oxidation catalyst) is expressly there to improve cold start emissions.
That's a good point. I should have said "There is no [good] way to treat diesel emissions when engine is cold...."
Old 05-02-2021, 10:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
E250 GLE300d
My fuel economy since the "upgrade" has been quite poor. It could be the fuel. It could be my type of driving. I've averaged 29mpg since I brought the car in for the emissions (a few hundred miles). I've never seen a 29mpg tank on my car -- (not ever not once) since I've owned it.

I find the throttle response to be very touchy. Prior to the modification, there was turbo lag then once you got through the lag the throttle response was predictable. Now I feel like there is less turbo lag, but a very hair trigger throttle which I don't care for.

Spring in the northeast brings a lot of different weather. The car feels vey good when it's warmed up and 80 degrees outside. I've found I it behaves much more irregularly at 35 degrees.

I may not bring my wife's SUV in. Not sure I like it.

/

Last edited by mfab; 05-02-2021 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E250 Bluetec 4Matic
I find your comments on throttle response to be true in my car as well. It's not the same smooth, easy, "Mercedes" tuning I'm used to (I've owned W210, W211, W212, W220). I have also noticed a difference when resuming the set cruise control speed - the car now holds a gear until nearly 3,500 RPM. The car previously always shifted around 2,500 RPM and never after 3,000.

As for MPG, I have hand-calculated each tank over the past ~75k (Fuelly link below) and have seen no significant changes after the modification - perhaps 1 MPG higher if anything. The onboard computer, however, is displaying lower numbers like your car (mid-20s). I noticed that the "after start" trip computer now begins counting near 0.0 MPG each morning when it used to begin from an "average" value.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:24 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
E250 4M
For those opting out of the settlement or considering it:

Here is a letter I received from a firm that I'm considering for representation should I opt out of the settlement. Interesting read and talks quite a bit about the ramifications of opting in or out. Has anyone else received a similar letter in reply to your representation inquiries? Any thoughts you have on this topic after reading these letters?

Dear Potential Client,

Stern Law is writing to you regarding the urgent need that you sign your representation agreement and complete and return the class action opt out form in order to proceed with an individual claim. There are just a few weeks remaining for you to complete this critical step; without continuing your claim and completing the opt-out, you will not be able to proceed with an individual claim through our firm. Simply put, if you fail to opt out, you will be automatically subject to the terms of the Mercedes class action settlement.

In failing to opt out, and thereby remaining in the class, you will also be subject to the terms of a class Release in which you will forever give up your right to sue Mercedes for anything associated with your emissions system that may ever impact your vehicle, whether known now or discovered in the future. You also cannot receive any cash payment without, (1) signing a further Individual Release, and (2) having the “emissions software update” installed on your vehicle. (See: Mercedes Class Action Settlement, Long Form Notice, Sec. 9 and Sec. 10.) On that note, the emissions software update is not guaranteed to work flawlessly, and previous software updates created by other manufacturers to resolve their own emissions scandals have had troubling results, including slowed start-up and acceleration, decreased MPGs, increased use of DEF fluid and more, and these issues can affect resale value. If a future update causes these same or similar issues, you are not permitted to opt out of the class action to pursue the compensation you feel would be adequate.

For many of our clients, the most troubling feature is that by not opting out, they’re automatically subject to the terms of the Mercedes class action settlement. If you sign the individual Release and receive a payment, you will release Mercedes even if that class action settlement is terminated or if the settlement is appealed and overturned. (See: Mercedes Class Action Settlement, Long Form Notice, Sec. 10.)

The terms of the Mercedes class action settlement were negotiated and agreed to without the participation or consent of current and former subject Mercedes owners by the class action lawyers who now seek eighty million dollars in legal fees. We strongly believe the class settlement is too generous and friendly for Mercedes while being harmful to class members it’s supposed to correct.

We represent clients that, by opting out, are exercising their fundamental legal right to be represented in their own individual case, to pursue all the compensation they deserve and where the client, not the class action lawyers, will decide when and whether to agree to an offered settlement. In our individual cases, opt out clients are eligible to receive cash compensation and keep their vehicles (“cash and keep”). This is the solution most preferred by our clients. However, if the damages are severe, our clients can also seek a compete buyback. What’s more, this legal representation comes with no out-of-pocket cost to our clients.

While all of this may be new and confusing, the attorneys you have chosen to assist you (Mike Melkersen and Ken Stern) have been involved in the nation’s largest and most recent emissions scandal cases. Mr. Melkersen was lead counsel for thousands of owners that opted out in the Volkswagen emissions scandal, and he and Mr. Stern are co-lead counsel representing thousands more in the recently concluded Fiat Chrysler emissions scandal opt out litigation. Melkersen and Stern currently represent thousands of individuals just like you, that entrusted their money to Mercedes and now face an important decision impacting them financially. It is because of this experience in recent emissions scandal cases, at a scale larger than any other law firm, that we believe no lawyer or law firm has represented more clients in opt out emissions scandal litigation than Melkersen and Stern.

Don't waste another minute delaying your claim filing process. If you are ready to take action, please take a moment to locate and sign the representation agreement sent to you. If you have questions or would like the agreement sent again, do not hesitate in calling our firm at (844) 808-7529 from 9 am – 7 pm EST.

We hope to help you soon!

Old 05-03-2021, 10:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 ML 350
Oh god! Please DO NOT contact them unless you are very sure you want to opt out. I contacted them once to ask a few questions, they didn't really answer anything. Now, I get at least 1 call, 1 tax, and 1 email from them EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!! Even after I told them I am no longer interested.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
All Bluetec: 2015 GL350, 2012 S350, 2011 E350
Got our 2015 GL350 recall work performed last week. 90k miles on the odo. The dealer also replaced the clattery stretched timing chain and tensioner under warranty, during the same visit. The GL runs great now, and having the extended warranty is a really nice piece of mind for this family hauler! Vehicle runs like new, very happy with it and with the service from the local dealer.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2015 GL350 Bluetec
We got our 2015 GL350 back from getting the update. The AC didn't seem to be working right on the way home. The next day my wife took it for a short trip and it had no power. She came back home and everything is fine now. We even towed the 5000 lb sailboat with it this weekend and it performed flawlessly. Should I be worried about the early blips?

Jeff
Old 05-04-2021, 11:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
All Bluetec: 2015 GL350, 2012 S350, 2011 E350
That's a good point. I should have said "There is no [good] way to treat diesel emissions when engine is cold...."
Not an engineer, but I think the same challenges exist on the gasoline side. Exiting the neighborhood on a cold morning, if I'm behind a gasoline car, even a newish late model one, their exhaust smells so bad. I suspect the catalytic converter isn't doing much until it gets up to temp.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:17 PM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Sharing this internal doc my SA gave me when I had the AEM repair done that I haven't seen on here yet. I see both sides of the argument here (do it now, or wait till last possible moment). And if you're on the w163, w164, and w166 group on facebook (full of nonsense 99% of the time), you'll see threads of people looking for the VW buyback treatment, and hiring lawyers etc etc, then buying back their auctioned off car for pennies.. Sure. Go with god. Don't drive and Mercedes and then try and scam the system. It makes us feel dirty.

I did the repair mainly because of the amount the new warranty covers, as @kajtek1 has continued to point out. I was personally getting worried in mine over the last year, and being stuck home in COVID, only doing short trips here and there for the better part of a year. My Autel didn't have the ability to read the soot level in the DPF, so I had no idea what I was working with, and likely hadn't gone thru a regen cycle in a quite some time. But with 70k on the clock, the truck in immaculate condition (first 60k were all highway miles), and my w163 making it to 325k (and still running like a bullet train), I'm in for the longevity with this puppy. It's no M113, but I sure as hell like my visits (as sparingly as they are) to the gas station much better now than then.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GL350

Thanks for this! What's important to me is in the flow chart that if the CEL is on what will be fixed can also be part of what will be covered!
Good news!

Would you share what MB dealer this was id def just tow mine up from OC for this.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:42 AM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by om6424u

Thanks for this! What's important to me is in the flow chart that if the CEL is on what will be fixed can also be part of what will be covered!
Good news!

Would you share what MB dealer this was id def just tow mine up from OC for this.
WI Simonson. But they don't have a dedicated Sprinter service dept., and in retrospect, I actually should have taken down to that dealer in the South Bay that specialized in Sprinters. Up here, less diesel knowledge-y techs, more the "follow what Xentry tells me to do" variety.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GL350
Originally Posted by we47b1me
WI Simonson. But they don't have a dedicated Sprinter service dept., and in retrospect, I actually should have taken down to that dealer in the South Bay that specialized in Sprinters. Up here, less diesel knowledge-y techs, more the "follow what Xentry tells me to do" variety.

Got it, yes I think that's MB long beach. I've been in contact with them and a SA there who came from Bmw. Just waiting for the x164 to come up

Fun fact did a carvana sell your car quote for ****s and the offer is $3400. No turning back on this one nothing to loose.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
W212 E250 BT 4M
The same story, schedule my appointment 2 weeks ahead, brought in my E250 in the morning, then they called me 9 hours later that they don't have parts in stock and they will call me in 4 days.
altho at least i got a 2021 GLC300 loaner

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB bluetec lawsuit in USA