MB bluetec lawsuit in USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by Diabolis

For every car that changes hands on the used market, they sell one fewer new car. Mercedes is in the business of MAKING cars, not SELLING them..
My observations are otherwise.
Most of the time the 1st owner trades the car is becouse he/she buys a new one. There are exceptions obviously and I bought Mercedes sedan from Ford dealer as female 1st owner traded it for Ford Mustang.
Than nobody made profit on just making something. You have to sell it to get cash in business.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by kajtek1
My observations are otherwise.
Most of the time the 1st owner trades the car is becouse he/she buys a new one. There are exceptions obviously and I bought Mercedes sedan from Ford dealer as female 1st owner traded it for Ford Mustang.
Than nobody made profit on just making something. You have to sell it to get cash in business.
How? The first owners buy the new cars on which Mercedes makes money, but their used cars then change hands on the used market and stay in service for a number of years afterwards, and Mercedes - and every other manufacturer - loses out on those potential sales as a result. If a car was made to fall apart after 5 years - as they are increasingly now made - then the 1st owner still buys a new car, but there are no 5+ year-old cars available that people can buy used, and they are now also forced to buy new cars instead (they will obviously have to be cheaper models, but they are nonetheless new cars on which the car manufacturers DO make a profit). Used cars salespeople make profits on selling used cars, not the car manufacturers. If you manufacture light bulbs that last 20 years and someone needs 10 light bulbs, you sell 10 bulbs every 20 years. If you make light bulbs that last five years instead of 20, you sell 40 bulbs during that same 20 year period. It's simple economics.
Old 12-23-2021, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We can argue what we believe, but from my observations, would there be no buyer for used car, the original owner would rather keep driving it, instead of buying new one.
Also general wisdom is that car manufacturers don't make big profits on new car sales. They profit much more from parts selling or SUV
Still remember the article, where several years ago Ford was selling their popular sedan for $500 loss, only to meet Federals quota on sedans/SUV percentage.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by kajtek1
We can argue what we believe, but from my observations, would there be no buyer for used car, the original owner would rather keep driving it, instead of buying new one.
Also general wisdom is that car manufacturers don't make big profits on new car sales. They profit much more from parts selling or SUV
Still remember the article, where several years ago Ford was selling their popular sedan for $500 loss, only to meet Federals quota on sedans/SUV percentage.
Mercedes in not in the retail business - they are in the car making business. It is the dealerships and service centres that make money on servicing and parts, not Mercedes. The parts markup is added on by the sellers / distributors, not the manufacturer. And, at least in Canada, the vast majority (close to 90%) of people that buy new Mercs lease them for 24, 36 or 39 months, and then turn the car in at the end of the lease and get the new model. Less than 10% actually buy them outright with the intention of driving the same car for more than four years. In other words, most Mercs on the road that are older than four years - the length of the factory warranty period - were bought second-hand.

People on this forum are either car enthusiasts and not representative of the general population in terms of how long they keep their cars, or they bought a used car (where the factory warranty period has expired) which they are trying to own "on the cheap" and possibly even service themselves. People that are not car enthusiasts or simply lease their cars (that are under warranty) do not spend their time on this forum.

Ford selling sedans at a loss to fill a quota has no relevance to the discussion about how long cars are made to last, their maintenance costs or selling new vs. used. It is no different than Aston Martin selling rebadged Toyota iQs as Signets to meet emission quotas.
The following users liked this post:
blackends (02-05-2023)
Old 12-24-2021, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350 (x166)
So Mercedes does not benefit from their being a resale market for their cars? turnover doesn’t help them find buyers for their new cars? you’re saying that the automobile industry only profits from the production of units? Rhetorical questions. you need to do your homework on the many ways corporations make money aside from making widgets. I suppose you think airlines make their profits off of flying passengers, too?

who cares if someone bought your cars new or used, or how many posts a user had made? how does the answers to those questions support your argument that people don’t have a right to be wondering where their checks are. and for that matter, if you’re not part of the lawsuit, what are you doing writing on this thread? you are trolling it..

I don’t appreciate your insinuations. You know nothing about me and seem to know little about law, business, and economics either. Forget about diesel…

A company that has exploited American consumers? Wow... that is brilliant. Have you looked at *any* other company in the country you live in?

The fact that many people across the spectrum of economic capacity buy their Mercedes’ used does NOT benefit Mercedes in any way, shape or form. For every car that changes hands on the used market, they sell one fewer new car. Mercedes is in the business of MAKING cars, not SELLING them.

I am neither whining nor am I part of said lawsuit to begin with (and just for the record, I've bought all of my Mercs new). If you don't know what whining is, it is lot of you moaning and complaining that you still haven't received a cheque you shouldn't have had to receive in the first place except for the fact that you live in a country where suing and litigation is the national sport. Ranting in this particular case is almost synonymous with whining.

The forum suffers because of people who buy vehicles that they can't afford, and then join the board to b!tch and moan about absolutely everything that doesn't meet their completely unrealistic expectations. In other words, the lot of you with single-digit or low double-digit post counts whose only contribution to the community are your expressions of displeasure with your own decisions that you are now projecting on whoever else you can. It's Mercedes... it's the dealerships... it's the guy(s) telling me that I am a whiny child... but it is never you. Man the fück up, accept some responsibility for making a bad decision by buying a Mercedes that you can't afford to properly service instead of a Toyota, and move on. No one cares about your late cheques except other whiny people that made the same bad decision as you.
Old 12-25-2021, 06:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
R350
How? The first owners buy the new cars on which Mercedes makes money, but their used cars then change hands on the used market and stay in service for a number of years afterwards, and Mercedes - and every other manufacturer - loses out on those potential sales as a result. If a car was made to fall apart after 5 years - as they are increasingly now made - then the 1st owner still buys a new car, but there are no 5+ year-old cars available that people can buy used, and they are now also forced to buy new cars instead (they will obviously have to be cheaper models, but they are nonetheless new cars on which the car manufacturers DO make a profit). Used cars salespeople make profits on selling used cars, not the car manufacturers. If you manufacture light bulbs that last 20 years and someone needs 10 light bulbs, you sell 10 bulbs every 20 years. If you make light bulbs that last five years instead of 20, you sell 40 bulbs during that same 20 year period. It's simple economics.
Not interested and not a fan for studying how MB making money.

But one thing MB different from Lexus is: MB drivers lease more! MB targets drivers
who want the latest technology. These folks change car every 3 year or so. That is probably why the MB basic warranty is 4 years!

But for bluetec case, MB bumped into a group of drivers that actually want to keep the car! ( Who else attracted to the fuel cost saving?)
And MB is losing money for that: extra 4 years emission warranty on cars over 10 years old!!!
Haha
Old 12-26-2021, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 331 Likes on 264 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Mercedes have fixed all the (US) cars for free. The only people who have lost money are the buyers who paid full price then sold after the flaws emerged, or had to make the repairs on their own nickel. To everyone else, it's a windfall.

Proof again, woe be to those that get between people and the free stuff they're "entitled" to...

Last edited by John CC; 12-26-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Jfxogara (04-09-2022)
Old 12-26-2021, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by John CC
Mercedes have fixed all the (US) cars for free. The only people who have lost money are the buyers who paid full price then sold after the flaws emerged, or had to make the repairs on their own nickel. To everyone else, it's a windfall.

Proof again, woe be to those that get between people and the free stuff they're "entitled" to...
You are making the statements that don't follow facts.
First PO will get some refund checks.
Secondary, we do have a number of Bluetecs who passed 400,000 miles. with no repairs needed.
From my observations Bluetecs got bad wrap from:
-lack of driver education
- lack of mechanics training
-lack of affordable parts available.
Those things come as terrifying chain reaction when the driver - not knowing better would abort 3 regenerations in the row. That put DPF out of self-regeneration and mechanics did not know how to force regeneration, or plain milked customer into new DPF, what used to cost >$3000.
Now not only educated owner drives with DPF scanning, but DPF cleaning shops grew like mushrooms after a rain, then aftermarket come with $900 DPFs.
We are in complete different World with Bluetecs, that we have been 3 years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by kajtek1:
Jfxogara (03-13-2023), Pmount1! (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 12:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 Mercedes ML350 Bluetec
Just the heads up as a first owner of the ML I will receive 800 bucks as per Settlement agent but they did require me to fill W9 tax form , so unlike VW settlement this will be taxed people.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2014ML 350 Blutec
Received my check today for full amount of $3590. Check was dated 12/222021.

I am not an attorney but my reading of tax code says the money is taxable. Now we wait for the tax form from attorneys!

ML runs great and with 4 years of protection of some costly items I probably will keep it for several more years unless someone wants to pay me way more than it’s current value! Good luck to those of you still waiting. The poster who indicated many would be paid this month was spot on.
cadetdrivr (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 01:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 Mercedes ML350 Bluetec
I think it is plain BS that I had to fill that form ,it is settlement so it shouldn't be taxed. But it is what it is .
Old 12-27-2021, 03:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GL350
That is hilarity have you been able to successfully clean a MB dpf without cutting it? Used and aftermarket dpf and pass CARBsure bud.

Bluetec is dead for consumers let it die and leave it for commercial use.

EMC5 is now about to leave MB's estimate of 2121.. if your keeping track the EPA site updated to Feb 2022

Old 12-27-2021, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
I had the AEM completed in August (4300 miles ago). About 200 miles ago the initial AdBlue message appeared. I thought that there would be about 1000 miles before the number of starts count down initiated - but it started today.

Questions:

1) Does the AEM include replacing/filling the Adblue? My AEM service order doesn't mention it - just "Replaced combo box DOC/DPF, nox sensors...[etc]"

2) The fact that the engine starts count down initiated so soon after the initial Adblue message has me worried there is a possible Adblue leak. Since I recently purchased the car this is the first time I have had to deal with these messages. The B service is due in 900 miles and since the Adblue is drained and refilled with the B service my plan was to have the AdBlue added at that time. Since I have gotten the count down I have scheduled the service for a couple days from now. But does it sound reasonable that the count down would appear so soon after the initial AdBlue message ("Refill AdBlue/Def See Operators Manual". Also - I don't recall seeing "Check Additive See Operators Manual" message.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
14 GL 350, 23Chevy Bolt EV and 22 EUV
My Check has finally arrived, $3590-praise be….
The car has been running beautifully since the AEM update (3/31/2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 06:10 PM

Received 321 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by MartyRL
I had the AEM completed in August (4300 miles ago). About 200 miles ago the initial AdBlue message appeared. I thought that there would be about 1000 miles before the number of starts count down initiated - but it started today.

Questions:

1) Does the AEM include replacing/filling the Adblue? My AEM service order doesn't mention it - just "Replaced combo box DOC/DPF, nox sensors...[etc]"

2) The fact that the engine starts count down initiated so soon after the initial Adblue message has me worried there is a possible Adblue leak. Since I recently purchased the car this is the first time I have had to deal with these messages. The B service is due in 900 miles and since the Adblue is drained and refilled with the B service my plan was to have the AdBlue added at that time. Since I have gotten the count down I have scheduled the service for a couple days from now. But does it sound reasonable that the count down would appear so soon after the initial AdBlue message ("Refill AdBlue/Def See Operators Manual". Also - I don't recall seeing "Check Additive See Operators Manual" message.
FWIW, the AEM does not include refilling the Adblue tank. Adblue is considered a routine consumable like fuel or washier fluid that's the responsibility of the owner.

Note that the AEM apparently also increases the usage of Adblue. In my case the tank used to be filled concurrent with A and B services every 10K miles, but after the AEM I needed to refill it prior to the next service. YMMV.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2014ML 350 Blutec
My ML has always been easy on Adblue. Filled the tank just prior to 3,000 mike trip. Curiosity got me when I returned so purchased 2 1/2 tank of Peak and figured it would take most if not all of it…overfilled with maybe half of the 2 1/2 gallons used…FL to Iowa and back and normally 78-80 mph. Maybe City driving uses it differently.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:51 PM

Received 321 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Pmount1!
My ML has always been easy on Adblue. Filled the tank just prior to 3,000 mike trip. Curiosity got me when I returned so purchased 2 1/2 tank of Peak and figured it would take most if not all of it…overfilled with maybe half of the 2 1/2 gallons used…FL to Iowa and back and normally 78-80 mph. Maybe City driving uses it differently.
If memory serves, it's used primarily during cold starts. A long road trip would use the least.
Pmount1! (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DEF aka AddBlue is combustion gases neutralize.
The heavy pollution that needs neutralizing happen under heavy engine load meaning high speeds, mountain driving, towing.
I noticed my DEF usage skyrocket in mountains.
After AEM on my GLE, it comes to 1 gallon of DEF for 65 gallons of fuel
Pmount1! (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32
Received my $3590 check today. Only issue I have noticed is extended cranking when starting the vehicle. Seems to be worse when it is hot out.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 ML 350 Bluetec
Check 1, of 2, arrived today. No social security number, no tax.
tenordrum (02-01-2022)
Old 12-28-2021, 05:57 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 e250 bluetec
Any else notice increase throttle pedal sensitivity? So much so, it's making the transmission kind of "confused" and shifting much more often. Before AEM, car would hold the gear and let the torque ride it out. Now, it's very eager to downshift with the slightest touch of the throttle.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 GLK250
Originally Posted by mustang281man
Received my $3590 check today
Everyone with these $3590 checks, but mine's only for $3515 for a GLK250. If you go to the settlement website now, it says $3290 from Mercedes + $225 from Bosch.

Anyone know why the amount from Bosch was reduced, and why it seems I'm the only one (so far) to be impacted by it? FWIW my check was cut on 12/22.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The check for my Sprinter was $3515 as well. As a 2nd owner I expected $27xx, so this is nice surprise.
I heard 3515 is more common number, but why some owners get different amounts, beats me.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:01 PM

Received 170 Likes on 112 Posts
2015 E250 Bluetec
Received $3590 for my E250 this week.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:44 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
E250 Diesel
Hi.
can you share the address on the envelope (not yours but the "from" address) when you received your check?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB bluetec lawsuit in USA