Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MB bluetec lawsuit in USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 12:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GL350
Sorry, I should clarify its is Nonoperational in a practical sense. The Car starts and drives up to 15-25 Mph very very slowly there is no/low boost with a blocked dpf. Think of it as going as fast as it can at 1500rpm.

As for the plan to get it to the dealer, I'm taking it to one which knows "what's up" with the car. I'm having it towed to an address near the dealership then will put put my way down to the service bay.

As for the Carvana quote that's real and the Operational value isn't much more than that. Run your car let's compare.

Spoke to contact at MBUSA she knows the EPA site is updated but she does not know when and if MB will update the date for EMC5. Again we wait and see.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2014ML 350 Blutec
Interestingly I received a letter from MBUSA today but address on envelope was from law firm. It advises that MB has issued an addition warranty extension on my vehicle based on vin and EMC 4. No details but gives web address to check specifics. Everything listed that is extended mostly by 6 months and 6,000 miles but EMC 4 is not listed! Will keep checking but maybe left hand doesn’t know what right hand doing. Would assume I should be in line for payment soon as when the vin is put in website it shows exactly what was done, when and mileage so I am in system as complete. So far 2014 ML runs perfect with 110,000 and I plan to keep driving her!
Old 11-30-2021, 04:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E 320
I received the same letter today, although the EMC 12 mod for my '14 E250 is not listed either. Since the mod I've had two CELs. First was a split boost tube replaced under the mod warranty and currently have a CEL for DEF. OBD code P20F4, Reductant Consumption Too Low. It goes to the dealer Saturday (Leith in Raleigh, NC). Doubt that the DEF is contaminated since it's been about 4,000 miles since I topped it off. Probably would have gotten a CEL before now if it was a fluid issue. Guess I'll find out later this week.
The following users liked this post:
RhettJett17 (12-23-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 09:10 PM

Received 321 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Pmount1!
Interestingly I received a letter from MBUSA today but address on envelope was from law firm. It advises that MB has issued an addition warranty extension on my vehicle based on vin and EMC 4. No details but gives web address to check specifics. Everything listed that is extended mostly by 6 months and 6,000 miles but EMC 4 is not listed! Will keep checking but maybe left hand doesn’t know what right hand doing. Would assume I should be in line for payment soon as when the vin is put in website it shows exactly what was done, when and mileage so I am in system as complete. So far 2014 ML runs perfect with 110,000 and I plan to keep driving her!
FWIW, I received the same letter.

Just to be clear, those additional extensions are for specific components for certain EMC groups and are in addition to the new extended warranty.

Clear as mud?
Old 11-30-2021, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 Bluetec, E250 Bluetec
not to try and top anyone…. (There was one accident on record, so I’m sure this wasn’t a vehicle they wanted. It ran and drove fine. Got $9,500 on trade for a 2018 GLE)

Old 12-03-2021, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 331 Likes on 264 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
FWIW, I received the same letter.
Off topic, but,

I'm receiving a letter about the warranty today. The AEM was done by the dealer that took the car in trade, who then auctioned it to the dealer I got it from. How did they find me?
Old 12-03-2021, 06:13 PM

Received 321 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by John CC
Off topic, but,

I'm receiving a letter about the warranty today. The AEM was done by the dealer that took the car in trade, who then auctioned it to the dealer I got it from. How did they find me?
Probably from a public database of registrations unless you bought it from a MB dealer in which case you'd be in their internal database.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
Got the letter, where’s the checks?
Etienne Lau (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 04:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
W212 E250 BT 4M
Got 2 letters, still no check...
Old 12-06-2021, 04:35 PM

2014ML 350 Blutec
Also received 2 letters, must be more money in sending letters for attorneys than mailing checks. Couple weeks ago they seemed to be dribbling out for past owners but for many of us original owners-who I would think would be the easiest to identify - are seemingly pushed aside. And, nothing we can do but wait.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML350 BlueTec (W166)
Same here, original owner of a 2013 ML350 Blutec. Completed mod and filed paperwork in June 2021, but still no check.
RhettJett17 (12-23-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 02:17 PM

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Me too. Nothing. File claim May 2021 for my 2014 e250
Old 12-13-2021, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 E250
One has to wonder if MB knows what effect the long check delays have on customer loyalty? They finalized the Settlement in July, six months ago now. If you had the AEM prior to July there is no reasonable excuse for no check six months later.
RhettJett17 (12-23-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 06:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 GL350
Originally Posted by panorth1954
One has to wonder if MB knows what effect the long check delays have on customer loyalty? They finalized the Settlement in July, six months ago now. If you had the AEM prior to July there is no reasonable excuse for no check six months later.
Settlement was approved exactly 5-months ago. Others have indicated they received checks, so they are being processed. Do you know how many owners are out there that do not post on this forum? Payments are most likely going out daily. I don't think it is unreasonable for consumers to not yet receive a check 5-months after settlement. They are also probably staggering them so the quarter financials are not all hit at the same time.

What is the effect on customer loyalty for a check that hasn't delivered? If you are indicating that your customer loyalty to Mercedes is diminished due to a check (that you would have never received without class action lawsuit), then you were never loyal to Mercedes. Your vehicle was fixed, and that is technically all that needed to be done. The cash settlement is an added perk.
The following 2 users liked this post by 91stealthes:
Diabolis (12-14-2021), Etienne Lau (12-13-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 05:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 E250
Originally Posted by 91stealthes
Settlement was approved exactly 5-months ago. Others have indicated they received checks, so they are being processed. Do you know how many owners are out there that do not post on this forum? Payments are most likely going out daily. I don't think it is unreasonable for consumers to not yet receive a check 5-months after settlement. They are also probably staggering them so the quarter financials are not all hit at the same time.

What is the effect on customer loyalty for a check that hasn't delivered? If you are indicating that your customer loyalty to Mercedes is diminished due to a check (that you would have never received without class action lawsuit), then you were never loyal to Mercedes. Your vehicle was fixed, and that is technically all that needed to be done. The cash settlement is an added perk.
Well, that is certainly one way to look at it. Another is that MB is not living up to a court ordered decision in a timely way. This is not some voluntary payment, the way you seem to see it. Why would I want to do business in the future with a company that does not live up to it's obligations? You may view it as perk, I certainly do not. You have your perspective, I, and others, have one that is similar to mine.
RhettJett17 (12-23-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 11:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 GL350
Well, that is certainly one way to look at it. Another is that MB is not living up to a court ordered decision in a timely way. This is not some voluntary payment, the way you seem to see it. Why would I want to do business in the future with a company that does not live up to it's obligations? You may view it as perk, I certainly do not. You have your perspective, I, and others, have one that is similar to mine.
Completely fair. Don't get me wrong; I am more than happy to be receiving money. Unfortunately though, I did not see anything in the settlement documents that indicated when the payment needed to be in the consumer hands. It only specified when the AEMs had to be completed by. So, I think you are at the mercy of Mercedes for your payment. But again, there are consumers/plaintiffs that wait years before they see any money from their settlements; so it actually seems like Mercedes is moving fairly fast here. Hold tight, it is coming, as indicated by a few of the individuals on here.

To be honest, the only reason I'm not worried about it is because my AEM isn't yet available and I'll be waiting until August 2022 to complete it anyway. I'm guessing it will be over 1-year before I see any payment.

I hope you receive your check soon!
Old 12-14-2021, 11:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
Got email last week that the AEM is available for my S350 and an actual letter in the mail today. So I booked an appointment with my dealer for Monday morning. Hope this all goes well.

I did a round trip to Rhode Island yesterday of 188 miles and saw 36.5 mpg avg. Hope that doesn't drop much after the AEM is applied.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
They know exactly what effect it has. If you were a loyal repeat Mercedes customer and bought a new Merc every 18-24 months (meaning you have at least two in your garage), you would no longer own a 7-year-old car in the first place. Furthermore, if you are anxiously awaiting for them to give you the check and whining about it (regardless of whether you actually bought the car new from Mercedes, or more likely used - where Mercedes didn't make any money from you), they wouldn't want you as a customer because it essentially says that you're a PITA to deal with. Do you like dealing with such customers yourself?

Besides, there is no stipulation as to when any such payment has to be sent out. They need to install the retrofit to whatever cars are still on the road by a certain date. That's it. You're getting a bonus and you're whining that you haven't received it yet?
Jfxogara (04-09-2022)
Old 12-14-2021, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GL350
My 2c. Assumes no one has got the 3k check yet though.
1) Generally the settlement amount is fixed irregardless of number of claims. That is why they are not guaranteeing the amount of ultimate payout in the fine print. Depends on number of valid claims submitted.
2) There is a lot of data crunching from both sides to come up with what is a projected number of claims and final settlement which is then finalized by the judge.
3) They are continually updating the financial projection/model based on actual responses to figure out reforecast payouts during this claims process.
4) My guess is they are comfortable on the projections regarding the leased cars and are distributing.
5) Since many owned car/suvs have not even been fixed yet they are waiting for further data before cutting the big checks.
6) Guessing 3Q/2022 is when those big checks get cut.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
3Q/2022 is deadline for performing AEM. I would give them few more months to wrap it up and collect post stamps.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:02 AM

2014ML 350 Blutec
Just back from 3,000 mile trip. From FL to Iowa and back. 80 mph driving speed and mileage at 28.3 overall-computer data. Same as before modification. Only thing different is smell of exhaust when temp was 18 to 40 degrees. Seems like a faint unburned combustion smell. Never remember that when it was a garage Queen in Mn before move to Fl. Don’t know if is because of mods or the blended winterized fuel. Now back home I smell nothing. Loosing no sleep over it because no plans to go back to that weather for quite a while! Oh, this thread is about checks, nope, no,check for this original owner with 113,000 miles.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic , 2014 GLK 250
Settlement

First time owners are in a batch of 35k owners that have their claims approved and checks are being issued this month - December 2021. I have owned or leased 14 MB’s and I do care about receiving my check and having our GLK modified correctly.
I will tell you the administrators for the settlement are ambiguous in their replies and it took several emails and calls to get the information. I did call MBUSA as it was implied every claim was being reviewed by them before approval - that is not the case. They set aside the funds per the court -
Seems logical that Benz wants all customers satisfied and logical to expect the payment about in 5-6 months after having the AEM completed.
Pmount1! (12-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 03:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350 (x166)
the only person who seems to be whining in this back and forth is you. nobody else here is apologizing on behalf of a German company thst
has exploited US based consumers. the litigation does not prefer buyers who bought new versus used, even if you do. many people across the spectrum of economic capacity buy their Mercedes’ used. there is an entire certified pre owned program that is highly profitable for Mercedes as a result. it is entirely prudent for a buyer of a vehicle to account for funds that are supposed to be disbursed in good faith; and to question about the timeline for the receipt of those funds in community forums, when communication from the settlement administrator is poor.

Originally Posted by Diabolis
They know exactly what effect it has. If you were a loyal repeat Mercedes customer and bought a new Merc every 18-24 months (meaning you have at least two in your garage), you would no longer own a 7-year-old car in the first place. Furthermore, if you are anxiously awaiting for them to give you the check and whining about it (regardless of whether you actually bought the car new from Mercedes, or more likely used - where Mercedes didn't make any money from you), they wouldn't want you as a customer because it essentially says that you're a PITA to deal with. Do you like dealing with such customers yourself?

Besides, there is no stipulation as to when any such payment has to be sent out. They need to install the retrofit to whatever cars are still on the road by a certain date. That's it. You're getting a bonus and you're whining that you haven't received it yet?
MarylandGLK250B (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic , 2014 GLK 250
MB Blue Tec settlement

For the person who stated I was whining -
Regardless of how many new or CPO we have owned the fact is our GLK was having emission issues prior to the settlement. You seem more hung up on the # vehicles and my sharing on the distribution of the settlement.
This forum suffers because of people like you who lack civility, jump to conclusions and rant.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
A company that has exploited American consumers? Wow... that is brilliant. Have you looked at *any* other company in the country you live in?

The fact that many people across the spectrum of economic capacity buy their Mercedes’ used does NOT benefit Mercedes in any way, shape or form. For every car that changes hands on the used market, they sell one fewer new car. Mercedes is in the business of MAKING cars, not SELLING them.

I am neither whining nor am I part of said lawsuit to begin with (and just for the record, I've bought all of my Mercs new). If you don't know what whining is, it is lot of you moaning and complaining that you still haven't received a cheque you shouldn't have had to receive in the first place except for the fact that you live in a country where suing and litigation is the national sport. Ranting in this particular case is almost synonymous with whining.

The forum suffers because of people who buy vehicles that they can't afford, and then join the board to b!tch and moan about absolutely everything that doesn't meet their completely unrealistic expectations. In other words, the lot of you with single-digit or low double-digit post counts whose only contribution to the community are your expressions of displeasure with your own decisions that you are now projecting on whoever else you can. It's Mercedes... it's the dealerships... it's the guy(s) telling me that I am a whiny child... but it is never you. Man the fück up, accept some responsibility for making a bad decision by buying a Mercedes that you can't afford to properly service instead of a Toyota, and move on. No one cares about your late cheques except other whiny people that made the same bad decision as you.

Last edited by Diabolis; 12-23-2021 at 11:57 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB bluetec lawsuit in USA