MB bluetec lawsuit in USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by vjfromgt
Tried 2 dealerships in Orlando and they both told me there is no parts here or in Germany and there is no ETA for when they will get parts.

The car sometimes smells of diesel in cabin and has acceleration issues most of the time. Dangerous to merge onto highways. They told me it is all related but they don't have the parts.

What are my options?
Call MB USA hotline and record the claim.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Aviator775
Hey guys, I just scheduled an appointment for the AEM fix for my 2011 GL350 at Mercedes-Benz of Reno. Anyone have experience completing their service here?
Please share any info on parts availability in Reno, specifically the EGR valve.
I had an appointment booked in Los Angeles a month ago, only to arrive at the dealership and hear their common story about the back ordered valves with no ETA.
Could this be a trick by MB USA to avoid paying the settlement $ before the October claim submission deadline?
Old 05-23-2022, 04:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2009 GL 320
Post AEM update - had AEM done in February 2022 on my GL320. Everything has generally been good up until a few days ago I was driving on the interstate and the motor just shut off. I coasted off the interstate with my hazards on, no power steering or power brakes. I then tried starting it and it fired right back up, maybe one extra crank than normal. Continued on to my destination and back home with no issues. I got back home and plugged in my MBII scanner and come to find it will read OBD codes (low fuel rail pressure) but the MB codes it cant read from the ECU. Some of the other anciliarry items could be read but ECU kept giving me an error message... anyone else having issue using MBII on post AEM vehicles? Taking vehicle to dealer to see if this may be issue covered by warranty.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 E250 blutec
Originally Posted by xsramo
Post AEM update - had AEM done in February 2022 on my GL320. Everything has generally been good up until a few days ago I was driving on the interstate and the motor just shut off. I coasted off the interstate with my hazards on, no power steering or power brakes. I then tried starting it and it fired right back up, maybe one extra crank than normal. Continued on to my destination and back home with no issues. I got back home and plugged in my MBII scanner and come to find it will read OBD codes (low fuel rail pressure) but the MB codes it cant read from the ECU. Some of the other anciliarry items could be read but ECU kept giving me an error message... anyone else having issue using MBII on post AEM vehicles? Taking vehicle to dealer to see if this may be issue covered by warranty.
yep...similar issue after the AEM update...my Icarsoft scanner couldn't read the code but a generic scanner worked...reading something like Mercedes DPF Exhaust Pressure Sensor Problem P1402 Code ...took vehicle back to dealership and they replaced the sensor...this happened twice to me since the AEM was completed...
Old 05-24-2022, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seems the ECU reflash put totally different software and old scanner software will not read it.
I just tried to reset service on my Sprinter and the old way of pushing buttons on the car did not work.
I have iCarsoft MBII and HT200 scanners, who are Mercedes oriented, but they will not do reset and I had several errors in reading ECU.
Finally I fired laptop-based MaxiEcu and it did automatic updates, what finally reset my service.
Looks to me that each scanner will need update.
The following users liked this post:
yuril (05-30-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 05:28 PM

2013 E350 Bluetec
Does your recall repair include the replacement of EGR? I guess your dealer happened to have that at stock when you did the AEM in Feb?
Old 05-24-2022, 06:11 PM

2009 GL 320
Yes they did replace the EGR at that time. I don't know if they are able to get them still.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:02 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2010 GL350 BLUETEC, 2013 E350 Sport
Copying my recent posts from X164 lawsuit thread to here

5/3//22 post:
AEM done, but CEL back again too.
Dropped off my GL 350 on April 7. Got the call on Friday, April 22 that it was ready. Apparently even though this was my second attempt at the AEM and I was told all the parts were now available when they called me to bring it in. They started the job then realized the EGR was not yet available.

I did ask for a quote on the oil seal job while they were doing the AEM: Labor 3hours $547.50, parts $393.58 = total $1024.48 includes tax. I said no to needing a new oil cooler, to which they said they wouldn’t guarantee the job if I didn’t get the oil cooler. I laughed and still refused the part. I thought I’d get away from the dealership with roughly a $550 charge but the bill was $688? The oil seals, which are usually about $3 each, were $10.74 from the dealership plus they replaced all 10 screws at $5.48 each for a total on parts of $76.28. Add shop supplies for $56.40 and taxes and you arrive at $688. Not great but pretty good for Mercedes service bill.

So far I noticed that the vehicle doesn’t have the same pick up on wide-open throttle that it used to have and at the first refill I went down from 20.1 mpg average to 18.9 for mixed driving. Picked the truck up on 4/25/22 and by 4/30/22 I had a CEL for DPF Differential pressure sensor. Made a appointment to take it back to them on May 10. I’m pretty certain that the DPF was one of the items that was meant to be replaced, so I didn’t expect to get this CEL again.

Need to look up all these part numbers to see what exactly was changed.

Last edited by S-Vibes; 05-27-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by cogtx
yep...similar issue after the AEM update...my Icarsoft scanner couldn't read the code but a generic scanner worked...reading something like Mercedes DPF Exhaust Pressure Sensor Problem P1402 Code ...took vehicle back to dealership and they replaced the sensor...this happened twice to me since the AEM was completed...
@cogtx could you confirm if your sensors were replaced under the AEM extended warranty?

I had the same code and while ordinarily I’d replace this myself in less than 20 mins for all of $20 for a replacement sensor, I took it back to them post AEM for diagnosis ($185). After 10 day with a loaner, not complaining, they, of course, came back with needing to change the dpf sensor. The charge would be $447 and not covered by the extended warranty. Even asked for a double check and same finding. I declined service and did it myself as usual.

Anyone have this sensor replaced under extended warranty? I’d like to confirm my service writer is competent when he said not covered
Old 05-27-2022, 08:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 GL350
Originally Posted by S-Vibes
@cogtx could you confirm if your sensors were replaced under the AEM extended warranty?

I had the same code and while ordinarily I’d replace this myself in less than 20 mins for all of $20 for a replacement sensor, I took it back to them post AEM for diagnosis ($185). After 10 day with a loaner, not complaining, they, of course, came back with needing to change the dpf sensor. The charge would be $447 and not covered by the extended warranty. Even asked for a double check and same finding. I declined service and did it myself as usual.

Anyone have this sensor replaced under extended warranty? I’d like to confirm my service writer is competent when he said not covered
Sounds like you need to escalate.

You shouldn't have had to pay $185 for your CEL. According to the document sent to all of us, CEL read is now covered no matter if the problem is related to the AEM or not.

Also, my understanding is the DPF sensor should be covered, again according to the document we all received. Below is the excerpt from 2010-2012 GL350s...

The emission control system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems: • DOC, • DPF, • SCR catalyst, • DEF injector, • DEF injector controller, • DEF supply module, • DEF pump, • Temperature sensor unit, • Exhaust temperature sensor, • PM sensor, • Lambda sensor for Emission Modification Categories 1–5, • NOx sensors, • Fuel injectors, • Air intake throttle, • EGR valve, • EGR duct, • EGR cooler (including bypass-control), • Intake manifold/charge air distributor, • EGR temperature sensor, • Turbocharger, including VGT actuator, 4 • OBD System: the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for malfunctions that trigger the MIL, regardless of whether the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Modification Warranty, as well as the cost of troubleshooting to determine the reason for the malfunction, but only if the malfunction is determined to be attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Modification Warranty, • Cylinder head assembly components: camshaft, valves, springs, valve spring keepers, valve seats, cam bearing caps, and manifold studs, • Engine timing chain, • Intake manifold pressure sensor, • Crankcase ventilation valve (including line and heating element), • and Coolant thermostat, where replaced as part of the Approved Emission Modification.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:04 AM

2015 E250 blutec

MB covered both sensors replacements in July after the AEM from April of 2021
Old 05-27-2022, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 91stealthes

You shouldn't have had to pay $185 for your CEL. According to the document sent to all of us, CEL read is now covered no matter if the problem is related to the AEM or not.

Also, my understanding is the DPF sensor should be covered, again according to the document we all received. Below is the excerpt from 2010-2012 GL350s...

The emission control system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems: • DPF,
thank you @91stealthes, had the list with me, but the operative word I didn’t register in the moment was “systems”. Obviously the DPF sensor is part of the DPF. I’ll escalate to the service manager and demand the refund and service under the warranty.

Originally Posted by cogtx
MB covered both sensors replacements in July after the AEM from April of 2021
thanks for checking and the pics. Much appreciated. Neither of your sensors replaced were actually DPF, but that’s immaterial to the point made by @91stealthes
Old 05-27-2022, 01:08 PM

“OBD System: the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for malfunctions that trigger the MIL, regardless of whether the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Modification Warranty, as well as the cost of troubleshooting to determine the reason for the malfunction, but only if the malfunction is determined to be attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Modification Warranty,”

Just to be clear this reads as any MIL scan is covered regardless of reason, but troubleshooting is only covered when AEM covered part is at fault
Old 05-27-2022, 03:59 PM

Just back from meeting the service manager at my local Mercedes dealership. He explains that they don’t have any latitude in what’s covered by the extended warranty. Basically he says, they plug-in the part number into the warranty check system and if it’s covered, it will tell them. If it doesn’t say it’s covered, then it would be MBUSA agreed upon decision not to cover the part in regards to the extended warranty.

When I brought up the fact that the settlement wording says “systems”, his remark was it’s as simple as checking the part number in the warranty check system and that they’re not making ad hoc decisions or interpreting the settlement language.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:24 AM

ml 320 blue tech
Angry PARTS KITS FOR COURT ordered BLUE TECH emissions settlement

Re: No Parts MB for my local MB Dealership/ Car can not be smog tested for registration renewal.

Inbox

CA - MBBlueTecSettlement

to me

Thu, May 26, 1:51 PM (3 days ago)

Dear John and Dana,

Thank you for your email. Under the terms of the settlement, current owners/lessees must have the AEM installed at an authorized Dealership before they can file a claim. The deadline to have the AEM installed and to file a Claim in October 1, 2022.

If an AEM is not available by October 1, 2022 for a Registered Subject Vehicle that you own or lease, then starting on that date, you may file a claim by November 30, 2022 for a Class Member Payment under the Class Action Settlements. Class Members who cannot install an AEM because it is not available and who timely file a claim may receive the Owner/Lessee Payment or Post-Announcement Owner/Lessee Payment under the Bosch Class Action Settlement, and under the Mercedes Class Action Settlement, they may receive an additional payment.

AEMs are available now for certain Subject Vehicles. For information about the AEMs and Extended Modification Warranty, please visit bluetecupdate.mbusa.com (if you own or lease a passenger car), bluetecupdate.mbvans.com (if you own or lease a Mercedes-Benz-branded Sprinter), or bluetecupdate.freightlinersprinterusa.com (if you own or lease a Freightliner-branded Sprinter).Regards,

MB Blue Tec Settlement

mbbluetecsettlement.com

Toll-free: 1-877-313-0170

[KJL]

MB Settlement Administation:

We have been to the local dealership no less than 4 times and called them about the same amount of times in an attempt to get the repairs done per the settlement. We were told the parts were on order but now are told they have no idea when a needed EGR valve and some other bits will arrive from Germany.
Attached is a copy of my vehicle registration. We went in April with the intent to have the
vehicle smog tested to renew the registration.
We were told once again the parts have not arrived and that there was no way the car could pass smog without the court-ordered settlement upgrades. You can see as documented
in the highlighted section of the work order/receipt that they would not smog the vehicle.
I now have a vehicle registration that is expired at end of April and I do not know what to do.
I must assume that the Lawyers in the settlement never anticipated that a huge company like Mercedes( and Bosch) would fail to provide parts for this court-ordered program.
I representative at the dealership stated we have several vehicles on the lot that owners have given to us, signed the title over because of an inability to get the car smogged for renewal!
This is Crazy.
Please advise a course of action to resolve my, and I am sure many other claimants, issues
with Mercedes failure to perform the necessary repairs in a timely manner.

Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2022 11:54 AM
To: CA - MBBlueTecSettlement <info@MBBlueTecSettlement.com>
Subject: Fwd: No Parts MB for my local MB Dealership/ Car can not be smog tested for registration renewal.

I tried to call the MB settlement administrator via a transfer from MB USA
Customer Service and was disconnected.
Can someone address my concerns please...
Old 05-30-2022, 10:21 AM

2011 E350 Bluetec
@berkshirejohn1 Just curious, was it your brainy dealer who stated "...there was no way the car could pass smog without the court-ordered settlement upgrades"?
Sounds like pure b/s to me, so ignore it. I was in the same situation (AEM delayed in April 2022 due to EGR valves on back order) and had no trouble passing the smog test at the nearest test location. If your emission system has no lingering trouble codes, no worries.

Last edited by yuril; 05-30-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:34 AM

2011 E350 Bluetec
@kajtek1 thanks a lot for the insights on the scanners!
Assuming that iCarsoft MBII is not easy (or impossible) to update, do you think there's hope for tools like Autel AP200M? It checks for software updates periodically.

Last edited by yuril; 05-30-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by berkshirejohn1
<snip>
I now have a vehicle registration that is expired at end of April and I do not know what to do.
I must assume that the Lawyers in the settlement never anticipated that a huge company like Mercedes( and Bosch) would fail to provide parts for this court-ordered program.
I representative at the dealership stated we have several vehicles on the lot that owners have given to us, signed the title over because of an inability to get the car smogged for renewal!
This is Crazy.
Please advise a course of action to resolve my, and I am sure many other claimants, issues
with Mercedes failure to perform the necessary repairs in a timely manner.
<snip>
Relax. I don't know who told you what, but it sure sounds like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If the emissions system - that has NOT YET been retrofitted - on your car is working properly, your car is fine and legal to drive everywhere and will certainly pass any and all emission tests where they are required.

When Merc gets the parts for your particular car, you'll get the retrofit and a four year warranty on those parts (and a bunch of other stuff) going forward from the date that the retrofit is installed. In the meantime, enjoy your car and stop worrying.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by yuril
@kajtek1 thanks a lot for the insights on the scanners!
Assuming that iCarsoft MBII is not easy (or impossible) to update, do you think there's hope for tools like Autel AP200M? It checks for software updates periodically.
AP200/HT200 (what are the same scanners from what I know) do have annual licenses. My scanner works 3rd year with expired license, but I guess they will ask for license renewal if you want update.
Having working MaciEcu and no pending problems with my vehicles, I have no motivation to check it, but would be nice to hear if somebody tried to contact Autel?
Than my Ford T runs without all this hassle.

Last edited by kajtek1; 06-01-2022 at 11:53 AM.
yuril (05-30-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 02:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
R350
Originally Posted by S-Vibes
Just back from meeting the service manager at my local Mercedes dealership. He explains that they don’t have any latitude in what’s covered by the extended warranty. Basically he says, they plug-in the part number into the warranty check system and if it’s covered, it will tell them. If it doesn’t say it’s covered, then it would be MBUSA agreed upon decision not to cover the part in regards to the extended warranty.

When I brought up the fact that the settlement wording says “systems”, his remark was it’s as simple as checking the part number in the warranty check system and that they’re not making ad hoc decisions or interpreting the settlement language.
that is totally old trick to dismiss a helpless customer.
Contact settlement lawyer, EPA, MBUSA to make noises from your lung. Trouble makers will receive settlement if insist.
S-Vibes (06-01-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 07:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
W212 E250 BT 4M
submitted claim on 05/16/2021
Received my check for $3590 on 06/03/2022

Last edited by GuestFromTampa; 06-06-2022 at 07:52 AM.
S-Vibes (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GuestFromTampa
submitted claim on 05/16/2021
Received my check for $3590 on 06/03/2022
I've got 2 of those and cashed them 2 days ago.
Still have my 1 more E250 to take for AEM
Old 06-06-2022, 05:17 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
Rec'd my check today, filed 4/1/21.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:31 AM

2009 GL 320
Post AEM update - had AEM done in February 2022 on my GL320. Everything has generally been good up until a few days ago I was driving on the interstate and the motor just shut off. I coasted off the interstate with my hazards on, no power steering or power brakes. I then tried starting it and it fired right back up, maybe one extra crank than normal. Continued on to my destination and back home with no issues. I got back home and plugged in my MBII scanner and come to find it will read OBD codes (low fuel rail pressure) but the MB codes it cant read from the ECU. Some of the other ancillary items could be read but ECU kept giving me an error message... anyone else having issue using MBII on post AEM vehicles? Taking vehicle to dealer to see if this may be issue covered by warranty.
Well I took my vehicle to the dealer and they scanned and diagnosed the codes and they claim the low pressure fuel pump in the tank was reading low and recommended replacement to the tune of $2,700. I declined the repair and was charged $154 for diagnosis. Don't mind paying for diagnosis as the tech probably hooked up fuel pressure test equipment which takes them time and saves me time. But it does stink that you don't have any indication what the problem could be prior to taking it to the dealer as they have locked us out of the ECU with MBII scanners. You are essentially gambling if you take it into the dealer, hoping that the problem lies with a AEM warranty component.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I took my vehicle to the dealer and they scanned and diagnosed the codes and they claim the low pressure fuel pump in the tank was reading low and recommended replacement to the tune of $2,700. I declined the repair and was charged $154 for diagnosis. Don't mind paying for diagnosis as the tech probably hooked up fuel pressure test equipment which takes them time and saves me time. But it does stink that you don't have any indication what the problem could be prior to taking it to the dealer as they have locked us out of the ECU with MBII scanners. You are essentially gambling if you take it into the dealer, hoping that the problem lies with a AEM warranty component.
The car is having fuel pressure sensor.
Takes just seconds to read from comfort of driver seat.
$154 can buy you couple of good scanners for DIY.
Or you can check for MBII update.

Last edited by kajtek1; 06-07-2022 at 07:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB bluetec lawsuit in USA