Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

MB bluetec lawsuit in USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
That is exactly what happened. The measurement indicated the timing chain was stretched beyond spec and they replaced it under the AEM warranty. No complaints here.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Originally Posted by Diabolis
No Sir - if the tensioner itself was covered, it would have been explicitly mentioned like the rest of the components.

The double-row timing chains are known to stretch despite the fact that they are considered lifetime items (especially on the MLs and GLs), so you may be in luck. You could also have a late-date engine with the updated single row chain, which is actually more durable and less prone to stretching than the double row - but there is no way to know until you check.

Mercedes has a special tool (gauge) that screws in a port on the passenger side of the engine, presses against the chain and shows how much the chain has stretched without having to tear down the engine, lock the camshafts and measure the stretch on the crank hub, but it easily takes 1.5 - 2 hours just to be able to get to the side port. I am afraid that the dealership telling you that it takes 2 hours to do the check and that it may or may not be the chain (which also determines who pays for the diagnostic, not just the repair) is pretty much spot-on.
That is exactly what happened. The measurement indicated that the chain was stretched beyond spec and the dealer replaced it under the AEM warranty. No complaints here.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 250 diesel
I have purchased ML 250 diesel, 2015 two months ago. Today I called MB Dealer and scheduled appointment for AEM fix. They said it takes several days and booked a car for me. Gave me the date and time.
I have CEL on. Is that a problem? Should I disconnect the battery and put it on back right before the appointment to have CEL off?

Any other recommendations please?
Thank you!!!

Last edited by W166_diesel; 02-21-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:52 PM

Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
Originally Posted by W166_diesel
I have purchased ML 250 diesel, 2015 two months ago. Today I called MB Dealer and scheduled appointment for AEM fix. They said it takes several days and booked a car for me. Gave me the date and time.
I have CLE on. Is that a problem? Should I disconnect the battery and put it on back right before the appointment to have CLE off?

Thank you!!!
What is CLE? If this is the CEL problem from your other post....again as I said. Get the CODE read. If you cannot afford to get the CEL code read then you are driving the wrong vehicle.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 799 Likes on 549 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by MartyRL
That is exactly what happened. The measurement indicated that the chain was stretched beyond spec and the dealer replaced it under the AEM warranty. No complaints here.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:12 PM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
I have CLE on. Is that a problem? Should I disconnect the battery and put it on back right before the appointment to have CLE off?

Thank you!!!
Just delete your account while you're ahead. You're asking how to bypass a MIL/CEL light on a car you're bringing into a dealer for a recall. You think they're f*ing stupid? You think disconnecting a battery will outsmart XENTRY/DAS? If you're not willing to deal with an idiot light on a $60k+ vehicle, you're in the wrong crowd. You bought the car, learn to respect it.
The following 2 users liked this post by we47b1me:
Diabolis (02-24-2022), Etienne Lau (02-22-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 11:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
R350
I have CEL on. Is that a problem? Should I disconnect the battery and put it on back right before the appointment to have CEL off?

Thank you!!!
If you have a scanner, read the code. And erase it. Sometimes the code will go away forever.
If it reappear, then it is a real issue. Hope that if you erase the code right before pull in the dealer, the code will not reappear when they park your car.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by Steven Gu
If you have a scanner, read the code. And erase it. Sometimes the code will go away forever.
If it reappear, then it is a real issue. Hope that if you erase the code right before pull in the dealer, the code will not reappear when they park your car.
And here comes another idiotic suggestion. Why would you ever do that???
Old 02-24-2022, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
You guys made it really muddy topic.
Codes are indication of the fault. In modern cars they will stay in the memory as "historic" even when fault is fixed, unless somebody erase them.
Happen to me several times, when buying used car to read dozen codes on it, without CEL. Most of them were results of low voltage, due to battery going low several years ago.
When the fault is current, the code will read as "active" or "pending" and it will come back until you fix the fault.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ Precisely. So what would clearing the active code in the parking lot of the dealership performing the AEM accomplish exactly?
Old 02-24-2022, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ Precisely. So what would clearing the active code in the parking lot of the dealership performing the AEM accomplish exactly?
When I can only guess, when I was dropping my vehicles for AEM, they never check them at the time. Meaning they will not be aware about any code.
Than since AEM involves ECU flash, depends how technician would progress, there is a slight chance they will do AEM not knowing about fault.
Then, depends on the fault, maybe AEM will cover it, maybe not.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We're in complete agreement... clearing the code just before you bring the car in in order to "sneak it in" serves no purpose. The AEM will either fix it, or if the fault is not related to the AEM then it is not covered and if the owner wants to have it fixed there would be a separate charge.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The few feedback I read about going for AEM with CEL is that dealer will check the codes for no charge and if the faults don't fall under AEM, they will present propo$$$al.
There is also some feedback that dealers are trying to keep the vehicle hostage, telling they can't let it go without AEM, but that seems to be BS.
I think I should add 1 more "$" above, what you think?
Old 02-24-2022, 08:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2009 GL 320
Mine had CEL going in and didn't mention anything about it. Parts took some time to show up but once "inspection" was complete I was sent a list of items wrong with my vehicle. I declined those items not associated with the recall minus the oil cooler replacement I requested to have done. They completed AEM, I paid and left. Good overall experience minus the 2 week wait for parts but I was given a loaner. No CEL since I got EMC 5 done.

Last edited by xsramo; 02-24-2022 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
GL350, Audi A3 TDI, VW Beetle TDI
I wanted to pass on that I received my AEM rebate checks a couple of weeks ago. My GL350 AEM was performed 23-24 August 2021. I filled my settlement claim 18 Sep 2021. The MB Settlement check for $3590 was mailed from Seattle WA on 4 Feb 2022. A Bosch Settlement check for $40.27 was mailed from Portland OR on 11 Feb 2022.
Of note, my AEM was initially scheduled in Jun 2021. When attempting to remove the exhaust system, the mechanic determined that two original temperature sensors could not be removed without damage. Evidently, these sensors attached to the DOC/DPF are planned to be reused with the AEM. Replacement sensors were not available and were placed on order. The vehicle was returned to me awaiting receipt of these temperature sensors that did not arrive until mid-August.
My observations so far with the AEM: It seems that engine start-up time is very slightly longer (i.e., not instant anymore) and the transmission shift point RPMs are noticeably higher.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EQE350 4MATIC
I'm trying to see if a car I'm considering buying has had the AEM done yet, but the VIN lookup at https://bluetecupdate.mbusa.com says "Form Submission Failed" when trying to enter my VIN. Anyone else see that? Is there a better way to check to see if a car has had the modification done yet?
Old 02-27-2022, 02:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 GL350
Originally Posted by harperb
I'm trying to see if a car I'm considering buying has had the AEM done yet, but the VIN lookup at https://bluetecupdate.mbusa.com says "Form Submission Failed" when trying to enter my VIN. Anyone else see that? Is there a better way to check to see if a car has had the modification done yet?
post #597 states that the tech put an AEM sticker under the hood with a check next to the items performed. I also remember someone indicating that they were provided a sticker to place in their warranty book mentioning the extended warranty from the AEM.

I'd look under the hood for a sticker and also in the door jamb, as this is where the CPO sticker goes. Last resort, simply ask a dealer to look it up.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2022, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 275 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by harperb
Anyone else see that?
Must be a problem with the site. In the past, it worked for mine, but not today.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GL350 Bluetec
Well my situation took a bad turn this morning...
As some of yall saw after Mercedes blew up my engine and took responsibility for it they told me it was being replaced at no charge.....

Well they called me to say their insurance company wont pay for the engine because the cost is more then the car is worth and so they are totaling the car and estimate it will be worth between 12-13k

I havent agreed to anything. Literally 2 days ago they were still telling me the engine was on the way. I have text messages from the service advisor all showing the process for the last month.
I am chatting with my lawyer later but my stance on this is they agreed to replace my engine. I dont care how they do it or what it costs them, that is what they agreed to.
They can do this without using insurance if they have to...just eat it out of your budget. Its not my problem how you pay for it

This is probably the nail in the coffin with my relationship with Benz....
The following 2 users liked this post by lancemurdock:
Feuerdrachen (05-17-2022), kajtek1 (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 275 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Tell them you will accept the settlement if they find you a suitable replacement vehicle for the amount they are offering.

Complain to MBUSA. Don't condemn the mark for the actions of one dealer.

If they are replacing your engine with a new one, you might consider the increase in value from having the new engine, and offer to chip in to cover that increase. Otherwise, you might want to consider an equivalent used engine.

Last edited by John CC; 03-02-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:32 PM

R350
Originally Posted by John CC
Tell them you will accept the settlement if they find you a suitable replacement vehicle for the amount they are offering.

If they are replacing your engine with a new one, you might consider the increase in value from having the new engine, and offer to chip in to cover that increase. Otherwise, you might want to consider an equivalent used engine.
Since the AEM has been completed, this engine replacement should under the AEM warranty?
That warranty actually is a government mandate. Contact the settlement attorney for this?

Old 03-03-2022, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lancemurdock
Well my situation took a bad turn this morning...
As some of yall saw after Mercedes blew up my engine and took responsibility for it they told me it was being replaced at no charge.....

Well they called me to say their insurance company wont pay for the engine because the cost is more then the car is worth and so they are totaling the car and estimate it will be worth between 12-13k

I havent agreed to anything. Literally 2 days ago they were still telling me the engine was on the way. I have text messages from the service advisor all showing the process for the last month.
I am chatting with my lawyer later but my stance on this is they agreed to replace my engine. I dont care how they do it or what it costs them, that is what they agreed to.
They can do this without using insurance if they have to...just eat it out of your budget. Its not my problem how you pay for it

This is probably the nail in the coffin with my relationship with Benz....
Originally Posted by John CC

^ This. If they can find you an equivalently optioned vehicle in similar condition, perform the AEM on it (so you get the full AEM warranty) and also replace the oil cooler seals (again with a resulting engine warranty), I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't accept that. Having said that, the dealer has an obligation to fix whatever damage they caused to your vehicle one way or another. They have the right to procure and install a used engine, but they would again need to AEM it and warrant it. They are indeed trying to wiggle out of their obligations for their screw-up, but it's the dealer that is on the hook for the repairs, not Merc.

Originally Posted by Steven Gu
Since the AEM has been completed, this engine replacement should under the AEM warranty?
That warranty actually is a government mandate. Contact the settlement attorney for this?
Steven - you are confusing things as usual. The AEM warranty does not cover the entire engine, and furthermore the failure here did not occur as a result of them performing the AEM. It was because they buggered the job when replacing the oil cooler seals, which is something the OP added and is not part of the AEM.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:57 PM

R350
^ This. If they can find you an equivalently optioned vehicle in similar condition, perform the AEM on it (so you get the full AEM warranty) and also replace the oil cooler seals (again with a resulting engine warranty), I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't accept that. Having said that, the dealer has an obligation to fix whatever damage they caused to your vehicle one way or another. They have the right to procure and install a used engine, but they would again need to AEM it and warrant it. They are indeed trying to wiggle out of their obligations for their screw-up, but it's the dealer that is on the hook for the repairs, not Merc.

Steven - you are confusing things as usual. The AEM warranty does not cover the entire engine, and furthermore the failure here did not occur as a result of them performing the AEM. It was because they buggered the job when replacing the oil cooler seals, which is something the OP added and is not part of the AEM.
I'm not a lawyer as you are. So your professional legal advice is well respected!

Old 03-03-2022, 02:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GL350 Bluetec

Yah basically this is all correct. I did contact the AEM division so they can talk to the dealer. They were very interested in the actual cause of the engine failure...and most likely it was caused by the oil cooler seals being goofed. So I dont see how that would cause the AEM warranty to kick in.

I did just speak to their insurance company. They told me the dealer said it was 20k to do the new engine and installation. He has not run any numbers yet in terms of market value on the vehicle so no offers have been made.
I am going to wait and see what he comes back with then decide if I need to pursue legal action to force the dealer to fix it out of pocket regardless of their insurance. I feel that is what I am entitled to, especially after 3 weeks of leading me on assuming it was going to be replaced....which I have text messages to back all of this up sent from the service advisor.

Old 03-03-2022, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Got My Settlment Check

Got my settlement check today.Just under $879 for my 2011 E350 Bluetec.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB bluetec lawsuit in USA