Sponsored by:

MB bluetec lawsuit in USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 856 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
If it were just the EPA, I may agree but the fines were in the US and Europe and maybe elsewhere, but I only did a cursory search, and those fines/suits were the low hanging fruit. Diesel particulates are very nasty, so I understand the need to clean the emissions to an acceptable level. I'm no tree hugger and I do not necessarily agree or disagree, but I get the need to make changes for the next generation/s.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
That is a complete bunch of BS. Pollution from diesel cars in the US amounts to a drop in the proverbial bucket. As far as transport goes, they would first need to address the tractor trailers that pollute 1000x as much. Coming up with a much more efficient way of transporting goods - like building railways - would be a good start. And, if they wanted to make REAL changes, they'd stop burning coal for electricity and build nukes instead.

While we have indeed destroyed the planet, it is not the passenger diesel vehicles in the US that are to blame. The Mercedes settlement is just another money grab by ambulance chasers in litigation happy America. Nothing more.

The following 2 users liked this post by Diabolis:
Etienne Lau (10-02-2022), mellonc (09-23-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 856 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Diesel engines in large commercial trucks also have to adhere to new emissions requirements. It's expensive and labor intensive to stay on top of the large truck emissions systems as it is the smaller diesels. The EPA is not just hitting small engines; rather, they are going after all sizes of diesel engines. As far as coal power plants being forced to close, there are many in the US who have stopped using coal and switched to natural gas and many more to come.

Cummins Engine Company Diesel Engine Clean Air Act Settlement | US EPA

Factbox: U.S. coal-fired power plants scheduled to shut | Reuters
Old 09-16-2022, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Quint already commented, but you should notice titles of the articles are saying 1 thing, when actual articles say totally different facts.
Whole things happens in Germany where EPA has no jurisdiction. Missed point.

Last edited by kajtek1; 09-16-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
I know nothing about maintain car engines so coming here for a piece of advice. Dropped off my 2012 E350 Bluetec (110,000) miles ar dealer for the AEM fix. Got a call today saying they found a leak in the oil cooler that could be fixed with new seals, and a leak in the oil pump that also could be fixed with seals. They told me this is not covered by the AEM and would normally cost thousands of dollars but they could do now for only $900 since they had everything already torn apart. Does this seem reasonable to you all?
Old 09-23-2022, 01:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML320
Seems Reasonable... Maybe too reasonable!

Originally Posted by jwilock
I know nothing about maintain car engines so coming here for a piece of advice. Dropped off my 2012 E350 Bluetec (110,000) miles ar dealer for the AEM fix. Got a call today saying they found a leak in the oil cooler that could be fixed with new seals, and a leak in the oil pump that also could be fixed with seals. They told me this is not covered by the AEM and would normally cost thousands of dollars but they could do now for only $900 since they had everything already torn apart. Does this seem reasonable to you all?
The Stealership I took my ML250 to once quoted me $9000 (yes, thousand) to replace the oil cooler seals. I had it done at an independent shop for $3000. These seals cost only $8 but are in the bottom of the valley of the V6 and require dismantling your way down to them. When they are shot your vehicle drips black oil on your concrete. It's very noticeable. I would be weary of this work at this price. The AEM recall doesn't dive nearly that deep into the engine. Interesting enough, I agreed to a new fuel filter for.... $900! They may just be trying to recover a bit more of the cyst on the AEM. My car went in at 102,000 showing only a code for a clogged exhaust gas recirculation valve and low DEF. The EGR is related to the AEM work and was covered under the recall. Upon picking up the car, it was showing a code indicating the fuel rails were bad and the stealership wanted $3500 to fix it. I'm highly suspicious. They had my car for 7 weeks. It was a nightmare. Between this BS and the $11,000 in other repairs since purchaspurchas my next car will be a Lexus,; Superior Toyota engineering, durability, and resale over this bucket of bolts design to skirt pollution testing, keep techs in business, and assembled in Talibama by Dumfukistanis.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Yes. They don't just replace the oil cooler seals - they replace 27 different gaskets and seals which cost ~$500 from a third party. That means you're paying for 2-3 hours of additional labour, which sounds right. If you were to take the car in for the oil cooler seal replacement when the top of the engine isn't already 90% disassembled, it's a 17-20 hour job.
The following users liked this post:
Jfxogara (03-13-2023)
Old 09-23-2022, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bretzel
The Stealership I took my ML250 to once quoted me $9000 (yes, thousand) to replace the oil cooler seals. I had it done at an independent shop for $3000. These seals cost only $8 but are in the bottom of the valley of the V6 and require dismantling your way down to them. When they are shot your vehicle drips black oil on your concrete. It's very noticeable. I would be weary of this work at this price. The AEM recall doesn't dive nearly that deep into the engine. Interesting enough, I agreed to a new fuel filter for.... $900! They may just be trying to recover a bit more of the cyst on the AEM. My car went in at 102,000 showing only a code for a clogged exhaust gas recirculation valve and low DEF. The EGR is related to the AEM work and was covered under the recall. Upon picking up the car, it was showing a code indicating the fuel rails were bad and the stealership wanted $3500 to fix it. I'm highly suspicious. They had my car for 7 weeks. It was a nightmare. Between this BS and the $11,000 in other repairs since purchaspurchas my next car will be a Lexus,; Superior Toyota engineering, durability, and resale over this bucket of bolts design to skirt pollution testing, keep techs in business, and assembled in Talibama by Dumfukistanis.
I am afraid the only Dumbfückistani here is you. Please go rant on some MAGA site.
yuril (09-26-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Thanks for the advice folks. I just gave them the OK to replace the oil cooler and vacuum pump seals for a bit under $800 for both repairs.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:05 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by Diabolis
I am afraid the only Dumbfückistani here is you. Please go rant on some MAGA site.
I've owned five MBs starting with a new 1978 450SL. That was a great car. Each one since then had been increasing disappointing. The dealer have me a GLA as a courtesy car while they were screwing around for weeks with the AEM recall. I've driven better Ford Explorer rentals. I'm done with this brand. It's been completely comoditized and globalized at the expense of quality.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:24 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
E250 Diesel
just reporting that I finally received my check. the claim was filed in June 20201.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
R350
Originally Posted by mellonc
just reporting that I finally received my check. the claim was filed in June 20201.
received form 1099-misc at the same time or not?
Old 09-24-2022, 12:17 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by Steven Gu
received form 1099-misc at the same time or not?
Proceeds from lawsuits are generally not taxed.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
E350
Thanks for the advice folks. I just gave them the OK to replace the oil cooler and vacuum pump seals for a bit under $800 for both repairs.
That's the right call, assuming it had not been done previously.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:39 PM

E350
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Agree but let's keep politics out of it. Ranting is not confined to one party.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 E350 Bluetec, 2014 GLK250, 2007 CLK350 convertible
They are replacing my oil cooler too for about $800 while doing the AEM. I hadn't noticed any leaking but I would hate to have to pay them to tear the motor open to get to the cooler. I wonder why they chose the hardest place to reach to install the cooler?
Old 09-28-2022, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by derekwh
They are replacing my oil cooler too for about $800 while doing the AEM. I hadn't noticed any leaking but I would hate to have to pay them to tear the motor open to get to the cooler. I wonder why they chose the hardest place to reach to install the cooler?
You think piston rings are easier to get to?
Modern engines get pretty complex and even on I4 engine not everything has easy access.
V engine valley is pretty convenient place for oil cooler as all the fluids do have passages already there and you can do it without additional piping.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 GL350
Just a reminder that if you had the AEM completed and have not yet submitted your documents for a claim that today is your last day to submit.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:02 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
E250 Diesel
Originally Posted by Bretzel
Proceeds from lawsuits are generally not taxed.
No 1099. Legal settlements are not taxed.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
AEM does not have expiration date, filing for cash settlement does.
But the settlement has a provision for extending Oct deadline.
How does provision work for extending the deadline? I took my car in on Monday (9/26) for the AEM work, after witing for parts, and was told that it would be done by Thursday. Now it won't be done until next Tuesday (I hope). I'd like to find out about the extension. Can I start the claim before I get the car back and finish it when the car is returned to me?
Old 10-01-2022, 12:47 PM

E350
How does provision work for extending the deadline? I took my car in on Monday (9/26) for the AEM work, after witing for parts, and was told that it would be done by Thursday. Now it won't be done until next Tuesday (I hope). I'd like to find out about the extension. Can I start the claim before I get the car back and finish it when the car is returned to me?
When I spoke to the very pleasant AEM hotline lady she said to submit between Oct 1-31 if AEM not yet completed.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jfxogara
When I spoke to the very pleasant AEM hotline lady she said to submit between Oct 1-31 if AEM not yet completed.
Was that Shelby? I just sent her an email.
Old 10-01-2022, 02:35 PM

E350
Was that Shelby? I just sent her an email.
Ha Sonya, she had a British accent.
kajtek1 (10-02-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 GL350
I think you are in a grey area, but I am not a lawyer.

According to the settlement:
If you own or lease a Registered Subject Vehicle, to receive a payment under the Class Action Settlements, you must complete your AEM installation and submit a Valid Claim by October 1, 2022. You can continue to drive your vehicle without an AEM until you schedule an AEM appointment, but you will not be eligible to submit a claim for a Current Owner/Lessee Payment or Post-Announcement Owner/Lessee Payment until the AEM is installed in your vehicle.

You did not complete the AEM and submit your paperwork before October 1.

The settlement also states:
If an AEM is not available by October 1, 2022 for a Registered Subject Vehicle that you own or lease, then starting on that date, you may file a claim by November 30, 2022 for a cash payment under the Class Action Settlements. Class Members who cannot install an AEM because it is not available and who timely file a claim may receive the Owner/Lessee Payment or Post-Announcement Owner/Lessee Payment under the Bosch Class Action Settlement, and under the Mercedes Class Action Settlement, they may receive an additional payment as follows:

I believe the AEM was available for your E350 for some time and you waited until September 26 to drop the car off.

As I said, I think you are in a gray area. If you have documentation that you had earlier appointments that were cancelled/pushed, I think you will have some traction, otherwise, I think you are at the mercy of Mercedes and the lawyers, which I believe would side against you. For example, I had an appointment scheduled in June, but EGRs were unavailable. I then had an appointment in July, but EGRs were unavailable. I then had an appointment in August, and all parts were available. I still do not have my vehicle back. I was proactive and submitted my claim on September 30th, so the paperwork was at least submitted and "in-process."

Have you reached out to the MB Blue Tech Settlement team? Unfortunately waiting until after the deadline to determine your options may not bode well for you.

I wish you luck!
Old 10-03-2022, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 91stealthes
I think you are in a grey area, but I am not a lawyer.

According to the settlement:
If you own or lease a Registered Subject Vehicle, to receive a payment under the Class Action Settlements, you must complete your AEM installation and submit a Valid Claim by October 1, 2022. You can continue to drive your vehicle without an AEM until you schedule an AEM appointment, but you will not be eligible to submit a claim for a Current Owner/Lessee Payment or Post-Announcement Owner/Lessee Payment until the AEM is installed in your vehicle.

You did not complete the AEM and submit your paperwork before October 1.

The settlement also states:
If an AEM is not available by October 1, 2022 for a Registered Subject Vehicle that you own or lease, then starting on that date, you may file a claim by November 30, 2022 for a cash payment under the Class Action Settlements. Class Members who cannot install an AEM because it is not available and who timely file a claim may receive the Owner/Lessee Payment or Post-Announcement Owner/Lessee Payment under the Bosch Class Action Settlement, and under the Mercedes Class Action Settlement, they may receive an additional payment as follows:

I believe the AEM was available for your E350 for some time and you waited until September 26 to drop the car off.

As I said, I think you are in a gray area. If you have documentation that you had earlier appointments that were cancelled/pushed, I think you will have some traction, otherwise, I think you are at the mercy of Mercedes and the lawyers, which I believe would side against you. For example, I had an appointment scheduled in June, but EGRs were unavailable. I then had an appointment in July, but EGRs were unavailable. I then had an appointment in August, and all parts were available. I still do not have my vehicle back. I was proactive and submitted my claim on September 30th, so the paperwork was at least submitted and "in-process."

Have you reached out to the MB Blue Tech Settlement team? Unfortunately waiting until after the deadline to determine your options may not bode well for you.

I wish you luck!
I had been waiting for my dealer to ge the parts since April, They were able to schedule me last Monday but the car won't be done until this Tuesday or Wednesday 10/4-5. I contacted Shelby on Saturday, she told to submit the claim and she would get me an extension. I have my fingers crossed.
91stealthes (10-03-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB bluetec lawsuit in USA