E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cricket sound in my E coupe

Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cricket sound in my E coupe

Hello,

I've been with my E coupe for less than two months. Well, I have a kind of noise that seems like a cricket sounds in the car and I can not know what it is. It seems as if coming from the dashboard, but I'm not sure.
I pass a video I uploaded to youtube so you can hear it, but in this video does not sound too. Other times it sounds more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORBGDx61H-g

I think that one appreciates it in the second 10 and the second 34 and until the end of video

Can you think it might be?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
It's the dash pod itself, I've got the same problem, not taken my car in yet to have it sorted by my dealer but they have acknowledged the problem they knew what I was on about straight away.

If you press the black flat plastic piece infront of the dials it flexes, when you're driving along press it down whilst you go over a bump etc and you'll notice that the sound goes away
Old 05-27-2011, 06:30 AM

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dr-Nab
It's the dash pod itself, I've got the same problem, not taken my car in yet to have it sorted by my dealer but they have acknowledged the problem they knew what I was on about straight away.

If you press the black flat plastic piece infront of the dials it flexes, when you're driving along press it down whilst you go over a bump etc and you'll notice that the sound goes away

loll wow this is soo funny, mine does the same crap and i do the same thing, i get irritated by things like that
Old 05-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dr-Nab

The black flat plastic piece that you say is up the speedometer? Is it the part of dashboard that is above the speedometer?

And will it have solution????
Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 PM

it's the recessed bit - put your hand behind the top of the steering wheel as if you were going to poke at your speedometer - they're covered with some clear plastic, move all the way down and there's the flat black plastic piece, it forms part of the surround to the dial binnacle yes, but the bottom piece is what is flexing and causing the noise/irritation. I don't know what MB will do - because they haven't told me but they know at my dealership that it is a problem with some A/C207 E-class.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 AM

2011 E550 Coupe
Heard a similar sound today. I think mines coming from the command center area. Sounds like a rattle, maybe loose parts? Took a rep for a ride and could not duplicate the noise. Hopefully it was just that one time.

Anyone had it addressed/repair?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by mb23
Heard a similar sound today. I think mines coming from the command center area. Sounds like a rattle, maybe loose parts? Took a rep for a ride and could not duplicate the noise. Hopefully it was just that one time.

Anyone had it addressed/repair?
I am having the same issue and I do not know what to do coming from the command system when i go over a bump.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:18 AM

On mine it has been isolated down to the actual dash pod, went in to be "solved" along with a few other bits and my alloy got damaged in the process so it has gone back in today to get the wheel repaired, new tyre plus having the dash looked at again.

Spoke to the tech that did the repair last time and he said they took the pod & dials out and put a felt lining in there to stop the rattle/flexing which has worked to a certain extent but not fully - when the plastic flexes upwards the creaking/cricket sound starts all over again, not as loud though.

They've said they'll replace the entire pod this time plus re-line inside of it as they did before and see if that helps.

Quick picture to point it out to anyone who may or may not get what I'm on about..
Attached Thumbnails Cricket sound in my E coupe-dash-pod.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 06:21 AM

E250 CGI
Hi Dr-Nab,

I hear a voice on my dash display as well. I have uploaded a video on youtube where you can hear the actual noise. Can you please check it and tell me if is the same cricket sound that your hearing?

Lease fins below the youtube link:
http://youtu.be/EKKwuW4xL4A

Thank you in advance
Louis
Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 AM

Hey Louis, yeah thats the one I've got, keeps coming back - had the pod removed and replaced, re-lined with foam to stop the rattle and it keeps on re appearing, took a mercedes tech out maybe 2 months ago he heard it and said it was the upper dash piece being loose so secured it down, noise disappeared he said if it comes back to bring it back and they'll replace the entire upper dash

One test to do when your car is stood still, knock hard on the top of the dash pod above the steering wheel, see if it replicates the noise, if it does then you will have the same problem which I have - at the minute I can't see any other resolution to it than replacing the dash.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 AM

E250 CGI
Hi DR-Nab

Your a life savior. Its 5 months now that i am trying to find from where this noise come from. I took the car to MB tech but they couldn't find it. And you found it. It is the upper pad as you said.

Thank you very very much
Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 AM

1984 500SEC Euro, 2012 E350 Coupe
I have the same issue. I was actually not surprised when it started to rattle because ive had the same issue in my 84 500SEC and in other 90's era Mercedes.