E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2014 C207 Command Upgrade to Night Edition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E400 Coupe
2014 C207 Command Upgrade to Night Edition

Hi All,

I recently bought a 2014 E400 Coupe. I believe it comes with NTG4.7. I would like to know what is the NTG version for the 2015 E Coupe Night Edition Command?

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware on my car to the night edition command interface?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:40 PM

'15 E400 Cabrio
what is different in the Night edition? I know you can get the carplay/android auto interface installed by MB (really just a firmware update and a replacement of the USB plate).. it's not cheap though.. MB sydney quoted me around $600 installed from memory (i can look it up if thats what your after)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 / E400 Cab
Hi Khughes,
I'd be interested in the price to add carplay. Im in the market for an e400 cab currently and some of the alternative offerings with carplay are tempting but I like the shape of the E400.

I'd be interested in any thoughts on your e400 over the course of your ownership (pm if you like). There isn't much of an online community for the cabs.

Mike
Old 05-12-2017, 03:29 AM

'15 E400 Cabrio
Hi Mike,

The price i got a couple of months ago was $450 fitted (i assume that included GST), i havn't had time to book my car in to get it done though

To be fair, the standard command system is very good, my only peeve is that with my phone (SG Note 5), Spotify does not show song ID's on the screen.. although other programs such as samsung music does (so its probably a spotify issue)

I am pretty sure that 12/2015 + cars Carplay/android auto was standard.

Although i have only had mine for 6 months now, I am loving the car! Its great to drive.. although i wish they still had the E550 twin turbo v8 in Australia (E400 is top of the line here, and i wanted the facelift).. my only criticisms of the car is that the engine idle sounds a little diesel like.. it could really do with an active exhaust system and some sound tuning to let the V6TT sing.. it will eventually get to me enough to want to change the exhaust .

On sports mode the car is punchy and you can hear the sound potential.. but i guess i lean towards performance cars (i was looking at the 650i's originally, but for the money vs tech the E400 was impossible to go past). I can't find any info on the differential on the car, but i am pretty sure it isn't LSD.

Overall it is a great car, i don't regret buying it!! pm me if you have any specific questions i can help you with
Old 05-16-2017, 12:51 AM

E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by khughes
what is different in the Night edition? I know you can get the carplay/android auto interface installed by MB (really just a firmware update and a replacement of the USB plate).. it's not cheap though.. MB sydney quoted me around $600 installed from memory (i can look it up if thats what your after)
Hi Khughes,

my E400 is a 2014 build. Therefore, the NTG is not the upgraded one with all the nice graphics on it. I am wondering if this can be a firmware flash of some kind?

Can you fill me in with the firmware update with carplay? What is this?

I am currently looking to install some kind of Active Exhaust, I know that you can do this aftermarket for around 3k with phone connectivity. However, I do want to remain more standard, possible with a standard button in the car for the active on off?

Regards,
Sunny

Last edited by SunnYii; 05-16-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:02 AM

'15 E400 Cabrio
do you have a pic of the older graphics? mine is a 2015 build so i wonder if i have the latest now

oh i get what you mean.. you have the pre-facelift E400 model with the center console shifter? mine (2015+) is NTG 5.1 (with column shift)... There was a thread on here about upgrading the pre-facelift cars complete with NTG5.1, though i am not sure how difficult it would be (i assume you would need to find someone who could code the car for you)

when you say active exhaust, are you talking about the type that has a butterfly valve to selectively make it louder? or are you talking about a fake exhaust noise over the stereo like the M5's have?

I am keen on any exhaust that makes the E400 sound better (so would love to hear how you go).. mine sounds like a diesel I assume it is how they all sound, it is the only E400 i have driven

Last edited by khughes; 05-16-2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:36 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
In 2012 I bought the face lift C63, I traded that on a new 991S Porsche (911). I kept that nearly 2 years and didn't really have much use of it as my son refused to get in the back, he said if I made him get in again he was reporting me to the police. I decided to get rid of that back to the dealer and I took the E400 coupe for a drive. I like this car better than the C63 or the 991S. It is more civilised and goes fast enough for me.
Enjoy
The following users liked this post:
Requisiteur (06-22-2020)
Old 05-16-2017, 08:42 PM

'15 E400 Cabrio
SunnYii,

Carplay is the remote screen car mode for Apple phones, basically it shows a reduced interface from your phone on the screen of the command, and allows you to control functions from the command interface (siri etc.). and you can get NAV from your phone etc.

Android Auto is the Android phone equivalent.

I am unsure if the carplay option is open to NTG4.7, it definitely is for NTG 5*1 (i may have confused the thread earlier, sorry about that)
Old 05-16-2017, 09:06 PM

E400 Coupe
Hi Khughes,

My E400 is the facelift version with the gear selected on the steering wheel. However, there is a different NTG between 2014 and some 2015 models.

My NTG looks like this

Does your NTG have a bit more graphics on it?

I'm just wondering of I could add carplay to my NTG4.7 or is it even possible to upgrade via firmware to a better version?

Cheers
Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 PM

'15 E400 Cabrio
In short yes. it seems to be different to mine.. if yours is the facelift model, at least most of the facelift components should be a relatively easy fit..

Your in sydney too, so if you want to catch up at some point and have a play with mine to see if it is worth the expense then that is cool.

have a read through this post

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ofit-ngt4.html

Chris the swede on this forum is probably the expert on the retrofit, and he did a whole facelift upgrade on his E550, sounds like he would probably be able to sort out whatever parts and coding you may need too..

read through his posts here (the NTG upgrade is covered in there too)
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...-e550-cab.html.

Once you have NTG5*1, I believe the apple carplay/android auto addition is simply an extra coded option on NTG5*1 (U14).. however the dealers install a new USB socket too.. unless it handles hire power.. probably only to justify the $450 cost (and give them a chance to scratch up your interior)
Old 05-16-2017, 11:25 PM

E400 Coupe
Hi Khughes,

I thought so, you have the new NTG that released in 2015. I did have a look at those post before, it seems a great difficulty to switch over to a new generation of NTG.

About the active control system, Nah I'm not talking about the one with speakers. I'm looking for those that comes with a valve to switch just before the muffler. I believe the muffler have 2 inputs where one does straight through and one does around to reduce noise, then this is control via a valve.

My goal is to have the above installed and possible if I can add an additional switch to the cockpit (using of one the unused buttons under the NTG).

I did get an attempt to get a quote via phone with some guy in Green Square, he told me around 2.6-2.8k to have a custom muffler installed with a remote switch.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 PM

'15 E400 Cabrio
wow! 2.6k is ridiculous unless it was all the way from the turbo's, mind you i think the active systems for jap exhausts like apexi are quite expensive for what they are

sounds like your very very close to me..

Maybe try giving hitech a ring? they have a shop over at the end of bourke st in darlinghurst.. though there is probably cheaper places) i was probably only going to look at either switching out the rear mufflers, or at worst.. cat back.. just enough to get some kind of note from the car (mine is a cab, so i don't want it too loud).. I can't see why you couldn't use one of the blank switches to trigger the active control.. would be different if you wanted to leverage your sports button
Old 05-17-2017, 12:29 AM

E400 Coupe
Well...2.6k is for cat back but all I wanted is just a muffler change. There are heaps of active control valve on ebay. I'm thinking if I can even get someone to mount one of those stuff on it but it's going to be so loud if I bypass the mufflers :P

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Exhaust...EAAOSw5UZY9IHb

I don't want it to be too loud either. Otherwise, my E400 will end up looking like a S2000 or something.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:52 PM

C63 / E400 Cab
Hi all,
After selling my C63 5 months ago i've been driving a 2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0 6cyl. It a great car still even though its 11 years old!

Anyway, i've been on the hunt for a car - didn't really know what I wanted (I looked at a Macan, GL500, ML63, S3 convertible, 435 convertible) and I finally settled on a 2014 E400 Cab!

I picked it up yesterday and drove it home last night on the freeway (100kmh) top down in 14oC Melbourne weather and it was such a nice experience

Initial impressions are that it is a real cruiser. Steering is a bit light (but I just changed a setting on the dash to turn off steering assist - wonder if that will help) but its heaps of fun cruising with the top down and the air scarf and heated seats on!

Some questions for those that have had theirs longer:
Mine is a June 14 build facelift with column shift.

Is there any way the system can play video files from usb? The usb port didn't recognise any files when plugged in.

Maybe through the multimedia port? I just sold my set of cables thinking I didn't need them!

How many dvd slots are there? I couldn't see a function to add another disc?

How do you find out what NTG version you have?

Has anyone done the Factory NTG upgrade yet?

Do you hear a whirring noise when your aircap raises and lowers? Is this normal?

Im thinking of getting a star controller (I have another MB) - just looking at the options out there and also going to start looking at tunes This car is too economical as it is...

Looking forward to getting back into the MB community!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
sorry i cant help you mate as mine is a 2015 Coupe. I can tell you they are great cars with a lot of low down torque. They seem to use very little fuel.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:17 PM

'15 E400 Cabrio
Congrats on the purchase!

I am assuming you have the NTG5*1 (mine looks exactly like this:
).

The command online manual seems to indicate you can run compatible audio video files off the SD card and USB. Supported formats are apparently mpeg, wmv, mov, avi, mp4. I have not tried any of these yet, but they would be limited to when the car is stopped (i believe the video while driving hacks, take out the GPS signal so it would interfere with GPS).. There is also an optional TV module too.. i assume you can get a DVB-T version

I believe there is an optional 6 disk DVD changer, but it's not standard on the E400 spec.. the in-dash DVD is single disk (but considering the maps are on-board, at least you don't have to choose between one or the other)

I had started looking into the Merc Star systems too.. i was comfortable with the older Audi/VW VAGCom, but Star seems much more complicated.. i didn't want to spend a k on a laptop and interface without knowing what i could and couldn't do.. in the end it seems that adding features to the car (such as the carplay option to the command) requires someone with access to the factory Merc servers to add the options.. still.. i would probably look at getting one down the track

Kent

Originally Posted by Onnzo
Is there any way the system can play video files from usb? The usb port didn't recognise any files when plugged in.

Maybe through the multimedia port? I just sold my set of cables thinking I didn't need them!

How many dvd slots are there? I couldn't see a function to add another disc?

How do you find out what NTG version you have?

Has anyone done the Factory NTG upgrade yet?

Do you hear a whirring noise when your aircap raises and lowers? Is this normal?

Im thinking of getting a star controller (I have another MB) - just looking at the options out there and also going to start looking at tunes This car is too economical as it is...

Looking forward to getting back into the MB community!
Old 06-03-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
c207 e200 CGI
My 2010 C207 got carplay....
Attached Thumbnails 2014 C207 Command Upgrade to Night Edition-img_1306.jpg   2014 C207 Command Upgrade to Night Edition-img_1305.jpg  
Old 06-03-2017, 11:41 PM

'15 E400 Cabrio
Raphie, thanks for posting! first time i have seen it in operation..

how do you find it? does it operate smoothly (no delays in screens etc.)? trying to still toss up if it is worth the money for MB to retrofit it into mine
Old 06-04-2017, 01:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
c207 e200 CGI
The 5*1 is really FAST. Ipad type performance, no "underwater" type delay screens.
Carplay is as fast as your iPhone, it's a screen mirror via the car API, the phone is your CPU.

See here for all the details https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7169375
Old 06-04-2017, 04:43 AM

C63 / E400 Cab

Thanks for the responses all. CarPlay isn't that big a deal for me but I will look into it more once I've done a few other things. My NTG doesn't look like that one in the clip above...

So far iv'e washed and given her a coat of OCW.

ive also added in speed camera POI's and im installing a hard wired button for the garage (we don't get this factory option in Oz). This has to be the best convienience feature ever!

On on this topic are there any electronics gurus out there? My garage remote has two doors programmed and I thought I could just wire both to a momentary switch. When I do this, none of them work? I've added in a photo of the remote if anyone can assist.

Next will be a good clean and protection for the fabric top. When I washed the car yesterday, water just soaked into the fabric

After that, it's a smart top unit