E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

stalling,when cold?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
260e
stalling,when cold?

Hi all,i have a question about a 260 e stalling for no apparent reason.I have had the car a couple of weeks and haven't much time to drive it but today i drove it about 100 miles total.I had 4 stalls luckily each time it would start back up again,i noted that it wasn't really warmed up well and previous ownwer said she had the same problem until it was warm which i guess means 80 plus celcius according to the guage.

I kept trying to duplicate the problem and tried various things to make it stall again but seems intermittent,i definately want to nail this down prior to my daughter driving this thing around,i have read some posts about ovt or something like that sounds like a similiar problem,maybe the fuel pump relay?

guess what i am asking for here is a place to start,any advice appreciated

thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Most stalling problems are related to the Overvoltage Protection Relay (OVP) or the Voltage Regulator (attached to the Alternator).

I would first start by checking the fuses on the OVP and then have it replaced.
If it hasn't been replaced yet, its probably time.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by craftsworker
Hi all,i have a question about a 260 e stalling for no apparent reason.I have had the car a couple of weeks and haven't much time to drive it but today i drove it about 100 miles total.I had 4 stalls luckily each time it would start back up again,i noted that it wasn't really warmed up well and previous ownwer said she had the same problem until it was warm which i guess means 80 plus celcius according to the guage.

I kept trying to duplicate the problem and tried various things to make it stall again but seems intermittent,i definately want to nail this down prior to my daughter driving this thing around,i have read some posts about ovt or something like that sounds like a similiar problem,maybe the fuel pump relay?

guess what i am asking for here is a place to start,any advice appreciated

thanks
It could also be the temp sensor.

FWIW, I wouldn't dream of putting my wife, daughter, or anyone not mechanically inclined in a W124. There are just too many things to go wrong. That's why they make Hondas.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 AM

260e
this morning while i was moving the car to get my bike out of the garage,i turned on the headlights and they were surging....very quickly ,at first i thought it was me but it was definately surging,it stopped after a little bit but i wonder if that helps.i am thinking it is ovp as stated above.

I have never worked on a mercedes before,but that does not mean i am not mechanically inclined,these cars are a little different than most things i have worked on,mechanically most things are similiar but electronically they are not. i have the eclass owners bible but it does not really go into to detail on alot of stuff.My daughter is interested in mechanical type work,this car is a project that we will do together at the end i am hoping for a car she can drive to school in,making something work correctly can be a very rewarding expirience as most of you know especially if it involves working with a teenager that is otherwise hard to connect with.

Yes i realize i could have bought a honda and sent her on her way but there is more to this than just fixing up a car to make it run,i hope you are not offended but as many people say sometimes the ride to the destination is more important than the destination.

thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
this morning while i was moving the car to get my bike out of the garage,i turned on the headlights and they were surging....very quickly ,at first i thought it was me but it was definately surging,it stopped after a little bit but i wonder if that helps.i am thinking it is ovp as stated above.

I have never worked on a mercedes before,but that does not mean i am not mechanically inclined,these cars are a little different than most things i have worked on,mechanically most things are similiar but electronically they are not. i have the eclass owners bible but it does not really go into to detail on alot of stuff.My daughter is interested in mechanical type work,this car is a project that we will do together at the end i am hoping for a car she can drive to school in,making something work correctly can be a very rewarding expirience as most of you know especially if it involves working with a teenager that is otherwise hard to connect with.

Yes i realize i could have bought a honda and sent her on her way but there is more to this than just fixing up a car to make it run,i hope you are not offended but as many people say sometimes the ride to the destination is more important than the destination.

thanks
These cars have a lot that can and will go wrong. But if you have the resources (info, specs, the forum, and cash) they really aren't that hard to work on. I would much rather be under the hood of a Benz than any FWD american or Asain cars. The E class is probably the best laid out car I have ever worked on. They designed these cars so well that it is as easy to work on them as any car I have ever worked on. You will have fun with it and your daughter will learn a ton. I understand the disconnnect with your Kids thing. Have a ball with the car. If you want to cut out all the guess work you might find a "good" indy mechanic or just take it to the dealership (I did) and tell them you have some issues and want to know what it would take to diagnose and have them let you know the cost of repair. It will run you $90 - $130 and they like making money so they will write up every thing. Let them know specifically the stalling issue.

Don't be shocked by the projected cost of work. Mine was $5900.00 but after a little research of parts I found I will take care of all of it for about $1200.00. Just an Idea.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)

thanks
In your case you could not have chosen a better car. What a fun project for the two of you, and a very rewarding car as well. Enjoy!

Yes, with the headlights surging the OVP does sound suspect. It's not very expensive to replace so I would give it a try. Also, good practice on these cars is to replace all the fuses. They sometimes develop hairline cracks that lead to erratic connections but appear to be fine. Cheap insurance!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 AM

260e
Thanks for all your advice,it is welcomed and appreciated.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
You should read my other posts about almost the same problem. I had to deal with this problem too on a 190e 2.6 and it turned out to be my O2 sensor and temp sensor. You can buy the temp sensor for around $30 and the O2 sensor from a 1990 mustang 5.0 and splice it into the factory harness. It's easier to replace these than paying $100/hr for a mercedes mechaninc. I had to fire my mechanic after he wanted $150 to change a rear flex disc. It takes a jack and 45 min or less to change it. It will always take us a little bit more time to work on our cars because we don't have a lift and the usual beer brakes take up 70% of the time...
Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
You should read my other posts about almost the same problem. I had to deal with this problem too on a 190e 2.6 and it turned out to be my O2 sensor and temp sensor. You can buy the temp sensor for around $30 and the O2 sensor from a 1990 mustang 5.0 and splice it into the factory harness. It's easier to replace these than paying $100/hr for a mercedes mechaninc. I had to fire my mechanic after he wanted $150 to change a rear flex disc. It takes a jack and 45 min or less to change it. It will always take us a little bit more time to work on our cars because we don't have a lift and the usual beer brakes take up 70% of the time...
Sharps or Odouls speeds up the process my friend and makes it a bit safer. Near Beer = safer Benz