E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Cheap W124 Modding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz W124 250D
Cheap W124 Modding

I have a 1991 W124 250D Automatic Euro model with 860K miles and I am looking for cheap ways to make my car faster and look better. I'll post pics later on. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I was thinking of an exhaust system, air filter and suspension. How much does each of one of these cost? Also I've got a swapped engine because the older one died.

Last edited by Demos_sav; 05-07-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:48 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
one thing to say air filter or any cold air stuff for this car dont wast the cash at all. it is cold air stock and one of the best so far that i or alot of people on here have found. exhaust sorry there are really none out there and if there are i have not found one. cough up 400 bucks and a custom exhaust shop can make you one that is legal. sorry thats all i know

alot of the go fast stuff is custom made for this car and cost some cash

others on here will tell you about more stuff and better than i could
Old 05-07-2008, 04:49 AM

Mercedes Benz W124 250D
Some pictures
Attached Thumbnails Cheap W124 Modding-dsc00201.jpg   Cheap W124 Modding-dsc00202.jpg   Cheap W124 Modding-dsc00203.jpg   Cheap W124 Modding-dsc00204.jpg   Cheap W124 Modding-dsc00205.jpg  

Cheap W124 Modding-dsc00206.jpg  
Old 05-07-2008, 04:55 AM

Mercedes Benz W124 250D
Originally Posted by Rio Z Lander
one thing to say air filter or any cold air stuff for this car dont wast the cash at all. it is cold air stock and one of the best so far that i or alot of people on here have found. exhaust sorry there are really none out there and if there are i have not found one. cough up 400 bucks and a custom exhaust shop can make you one that is legal. sorry thats all i know

alot of the go fast stuff is custom made for this car and cost some cash

others on here will tell you about more stuff and better than i could
Thank you for your reply. I knew there weren't any exhaust systems especially made for my car out on the market. I was talking about a custom made one too. If I removed my filter box and my filter and installed an HKS Super MegaFlow Reloaded Air Filter would I see any improvement at all?

Also does anyone know what engine is that?

Last edited by Demos_sav; 05-07-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
i would not know my motor looks alot more bigger........ hu ??? have not seen one of those yet

i would leave things bone stock for right now tell more people on here get a look for them selfs at you motor im at a lose for words
Old 05-07-2008, 05:44 AM

Mercedes Benz W124 250D
Originally Posted by Rio Z Lander
i would not know my motor looks alot more bigger........ hu ??? have not seen one of those yet

i would leave things bone stock for right now tell more people on here get a look for them selfs at you motor im at a lose for words
All I know for my motor is that it is a 250D multivalve(whatever that means)
Old 05-07-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by Demos_sav
All I know for my motor is that it is a 250D multivalve(whatever that means)
If your car is a diesel then you are going to be very limited in performance upgrades. The only thing I could imagine you could do would be fitting a turbo kit which would take quite a bit of work to set up and a bunch of research to find the right system for the car. The last thing on the minds of the Benz engeneers with the diesels was high performance. They will typically get up to speed like any other Benz but will do so rather sloth like. Your car should beat the crap out of regular petro engines in the mpg department and as you pointed out with the 800k+, they will run forever. Sorry but you are driving a granpa car, a nice one but still a granpa car.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 AM

Mercedes Benz W124 250D
It is a diesel... Oh well I am so dissapointed with my car right now. Well i can at least make it look better. Does anyone have any DIY mods to pretty up my car?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 e320...sold the rest
Well...Cosmetic Mods?

There's a unending list as to what's possible on a 124. You could start by lowering it, and getting some nice wheels. After that, possibly a body kit if that's what you're into. There's some nice AMG ones out there...but they're rather pricy. (Ask ChrisDPham, Zorro, Berti, etc)
Old 05-07-2008, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Start with a Remus exhaust.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 e320...sold the rest
Or a new grille. No offense, but it just doesn't look right on a w124
Old 05-07-2008, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by STLe320
Or a new grille. No offense, but it just doesn't look right on a w124
lol yahh deff that
Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
I'm afraid "cheap mods" and "W124" shouldn't go in the same sentence. It's very difficult to do anything significant that look good without spending a good deal of money.

You could do things like color-match your grille to the body of your car and color-match all black exterior parts (like the trunk handle, the metal strip along the bottom of the trunk, your impact strips on your bumper). But if you want a proper color match you will need to have a body shop do the work for you... which will be expensive.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 e320...sold the rest
Originally Posted by Bigpete123
I'm afraid "cheap mods" and "W124" shouldn't go in the same sentence. It's very difficult to do anything significant that look good without spending a good deal of money.

You could do things like color-match your grille to the body of your car and color-match all black exterior parts (like the trunk handle, the metal strip along the bottom of the trunk, your impact strips on your bumper). But if you want a proper color match you will need to have a body shop do the work for you... which will be expensive.
I mean, you could go to a local automotive paint supplier and have them find your exact color if you don't already know it. After that, you COULD attempt to re-spray the parts, but chances are the sun has done it's usual work on the stock paint and will most likely be faded. So when you repaint the parts, they might be somewhat darker...:/
Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 e320...sold the rest
I was looking at your pictures...and it seems you already have some little "cheap" mods done already. The rain guards, headlight eyelids, chrome fender strips, upgraded tails...

My suggestion...get the windows tinted, drop it a bit, and get some wheels. And viola..
Old 05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
I would say...Remove the AMG badge from the trunk, tint the windows, new rims, new grille and color match the chrome sorround. If you wanna go for a more clean look less chrome is better..
Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 PM

1994 E320 (current)
You gotta do curb feelers, deep dish spoke 20's, purple velvet dash cover, airbrush picture of scarface on the hood and a PA speaker horn that plays "Say hello to ma lihle fren". That is the only way to go.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:57 PM

Mercedes Benz W124 250D
Originally Posted by STLe320
I was looking at your pictures...and it seems you already have some little "cheap" mods done already. The rain guards, headlight eyelids, chrome fender strips, upgraded tails...

My suggestion...get the windows tinted, drop it a bit, and get some wheels. And viola..
Your suggestions and other people's suggestions are appreciated. I will get the windows tinted and get some wheels soon. As for the suspension it will take some time because the current one is new

How much will tinting the windows cost?

Last edited by Demos_sav; 05-07-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
...This car is a family sedan meant for luxury. Get rid of that rice from it.

Remove: grill, replace with avantegard (sp?)
amg badge, that is not an AMG!
front fenders, do you really like those grills?
chrome wheel arch
AND THAT "I LOVE DRIFTING" DECAL!!!

I have been holding my car and was waiting to finish school so I can tastefully mod the car but it seems like this car is losing its image as the price goes down. If you really want the car to be fast then go buy a honda civic and remove all of the interior and change the engine. All of that will probably cost you $500. It is possible to make this car fast but you will need mainly custom work which is not available on eBay where it looks like all of your parts came from. I'm sorry but I just don't like your car at all.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:35 PM

95 E320 Coupe, Diesel Golf
Originally Posted by AMG_Fred

chrome wheel arch

I have been holding my car and was waiting to finish school so I can tastefully mod the car but it seems like this car is losing its image as the price goes down. If you really want the car to be fast then go buy a honda civic and remove all of the interior and change the engine. All of that will probably cost you $500. It is possible to make this car fast but you will need mainly custom work which is not available on eBay where it looks like all of your parts came from. I'm sorry but I just don't like your car at all.
Take it easy man.

Those fender vents are factory on those deisels and look awsome.

But I agree with you on everything else.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Mercedes Benz W124 250D
Originally Posted by AMG_Fred

chrome wheel arch

I like the amg badge and the chrome wheel arch so I am not removing them.
As for the grill I will change it soon. Also, I hate the "I love drifting" decal too but I put it so I could hide a giant hole there. My car used to be a taxi so that's where the taxi fare meter was. Also that is the reason for the 870K miles.It's been a taxi since bought(1991). I will replace the thing that the sticker is on very soon too. If you don't like my car then you can buy me a new one because I got no cash. I am sorry that I was born poor. You should have seen the car before it got in my hands. Then we would see if you liked it. You people are lucky. The taxi driver who owned it(my dad) does not treat cars very well. Imagine that I found nuts under the wood where the transmission is

Last edited by Demos_sav; 05-07-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:04 PM

1994 E320 (current)
As for the grill I will change it soon. Also, I hate the "I love drifting" decal too but I put it so I could hide a giant hole there. My car used to be a taxi so that's where the taxi fare meter was. Also that is the reason for the 870K miles.It's been a taxi since bought(1991). I will replace the thing that the sticker is on very soon too. If you don't like my car then you can buy me a new one because I got no cash. I am sorry that I was born poor. You should have seen the car before it got in my hands. Then we would see if you liked it. You people are lucky. The taxi driver who owned it(my dad) does not treat cars very well. Imagine that I found nuts under the wood where the transmission is
Every one here has opinions and the cool thing is we can take what we want and leave the rest because at the end of the day the car is parked in your driveway and you are the one that turns the outside light on to peak at it one more time before you hit the sak. It is your ride ride it how you want. Just no fart can muffler...mercedes will reposess your car if you put a one on and they'll leave you rusty yugo in it's place.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Originally Posted by vili1982
Take it easy man.
Seriously, man.

AMG_Fred, if you feel like being a *****, please don't post it on the forum. It's worthless to us and really does nothing but set a negative tone. You're allowed to have a dissenting opinion, but you should find a polite way to share it.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
The reason why I mention the AMG badge is because it will devalue the presence of the badge. People spend top dollar to be able to get that car. A car with tremendous power and luxury. And when people "race" you, whether you even know you are in a race or not, and they "win" then they will say that the AMG cars aren't all that fast. That aside, these cars are great cars. That is why they can reach such great feats like 870,000 miles. You won't see some jaguar or BMW at that mileage. These cars are built well and I enjoy every minute I drive mine.

Originally Posted by GEDaggett
Every one here has opinions and the cool thing is we can take what we want and leave the rest because at the end of the day the car is parked in your driveway and you are the one that turns the outside light on to peak at it one more time before you hit the sak. It is your ride ride it how you want. Just no fart can muffler...mercedes will reposess your car if you put a one on and they'll leave you rusty yugo in it's place.
Exactly. If you get your panties in such a bunch over what other people or myself think then you should reevaluate your thinking. It is your car and you can do whatever you want to it. Heck you can add an 8 inch exhaust, JDM decals all over, painted neon green, and AMG emblems everywhere. I am simply stating my opinion on your car. Don't take it so personally man, its just a car. And don't worry about the financial burden right now. When I first got mine I was poor too. With proper education and experience you can mod it as you please!

Originally Posted by Bigpete123
Seriously, man.

AMG_Fred, if you feel like being a *****, please don't post it on the forum. It's worthless to us and really does nothing but set a negative tone. You're allowed to have a dissenting opinion, but you should find a polite way to share it.
Alright I may have come across somewhat harsh along my criticism but this is a public forum. This isn't a place where you should be praised for every single thing if you don't agree. If you want to go to a place where there is no criticism then the internet is the last place to go to.

Originally Posted by vili1982
Take it easy man.

Those fender vents are factory on those deisels and look awsome.

But I agree with you on everything else.
Read my other posts in regards to my criticism; we just have differing tastes.

LASTLY, Welcome to MBworld.org, hope I didn't scare you off! Enjoy your stay and read through all of the threads. There is a lot of info on here. When I got my car I didn't even know the sunroof could tilt!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
How come anyone with the word AMG in front of their name is kinda of a jerk? just saying...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cheap W124 Modding