E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Best shop for Cabriolet repairs in Chciago area?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 300CE Cabriolet, 13 E350 Sport Wagon
Best shop for Cabriolet repairs in Chciago area?

Hi all,
I need to get soe work done right away before the limited warranty I have on my 93 300 CE cabriolet runs out.

Here's a list of mechanical things to fix.

-Leak in hydraulics of top mechanism.
-Orthopedic seat controls don't work.
-Oil leak, closer to weep, but want to check into it.
-Seats don't lock into upright position, meaning they would flop forward in an impact.
-In cold starts there is a belt whining until warm, may need to be adjusted.
-drivers sided door cladding clips broken, two need to be replaced to avoid water entry along the top of the cladding.

Any shops you can recommend? Even if they don't honor the warranty i want to get on these right away so I can start to budget the improvements.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-27-2011, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Over on what used to be mercedesbenzshop.com (its now "peach parts dot com") there is a very good thread called "good MB shops in your area. I would look there first.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:25 PM

Thanks man, I wish some of those reviews were more current, but there you go.
It did give me a bunch of places to call, which is awesome.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Cabriolet repair estimates

I am going to get some estimates from shops here in Chicago and post the results on this thread.

First is Joe's Four Seasons in Alsip, IL
I got this shop as a reco from a friend of mine who is also into vintage motorcycle restoration as am I. Joe works on restoring MBs, Ferraris, MGs and other rare cars for shows like Pebble Beach and Amelia Island.

I am going to have this shop inspect and perform a 75k service on the car including winterization of the cooling system and get an estimate for the roof repairs.

Second is Autobahn in Mundelein, IL
Talked to the owner there and they have experience with rebuilding the cylinders and repairing and priming the hydraulic system. He also has just completed a service on a E320 Cabriolet so I can get a very accurate estimate of the costs and details of that repair when I go in.

Third is Fluid Motor Union in Plainfield, IL
This place is the closest to where I live, however their techs are all at SEMA this week. I like the fact that they work on show cars, and they seem very confident that they can do the top work to my satisfaction. THey also do performance tuning on exotics and rare cars so I think this might be a good place to go in the future for wheel fitment or any major refinement of the head, if it starts to leak.

Stay tuned,
Bob
Old 11-08-2011, 02:41 PM

05 e55 come march24 05
rigg's bothers in naperville, they only work on tops. hopw that help!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Update

Went with 4 Seasons in Alsip. I like the fact that the owner also works on Moto Guzzis. Any mechanic who can tackle car restoration and Italian motorcycles gets my business every time!

So they have already shipped out all 8 cylinders, replaced all the clips and re mounted my drivers side cladding, cleaned out the engine tray and engine bay, fixed my 3rd brake light, flushed the radiator and winterized that, oil and filter change to 10W30 since I will drive this if I can this winter, and now since they are waiting are pulling the radio head unit to see how botched up or not the wiring is in there. The current Sony unit plays really crappy radio or CDs from the trunk in full volume. And, last time I turned it on it ejected the antenna mast completely out of the car. LOL

I put a bid on a refabbed Becker 1432 unit that only has a few more hours to go on ebay. Hopefully I'll get that (or again be sniped) and we'll see how the speakers sound. SInce the back seat is out maybe we upgrade...
I also wonder if the Sony CD in the trunk can be made useful. Not really concerned if it doesn't work, radio and cassette will do for the short term. Becker CD changer at $450 is not an option.

So I should have the car back by mid next week. ANd then I'll et you know what the damage is and how fun it is to put the top up and down without stinking up the interior.

Best,
Bob
Old 11-10-2011, 05:10 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
WAIT, hold the presses. You are gonna drive this Cab in a Chicago winter? Holy Moly!

That said...

If you are not sniping, you are usually paying more than you should on ebay.

The "rules of the game" dictate sniping is the best strategy for buyers on ebay. I've used auctionsniper for years but there are plenty of good services.

If the auction kept going every time someone bids, like some online auctions (they bump the sale for another 15 minutes to allow response bids), that would make sniping irrelevant.

But ebay bidding is different than that. If you bid earlier, sometimes you LURE in more bidders by showing interest. And if they know you are interested, they snipe harder. Well, I do.

So if I am bidding, it is a single snipe, with 7 seconds, and let the highest bidder win. Sniping does not change that, just avoids showing your own hand while other buyers are competing with you. (ebay will be your friend with this car, so the sniping approach will matter over time)

Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 PM

7 seconds...I'll try it.

As far as winter driving, it will be similar to winter motorcycling. Only if the weather permits. I know what salt does and even just parked in my garage it will be a shock to this car. Don't worry, its in good hands. I have an Audi Quattro to do my dirty work.
Attached Thumbnails Best shop for Cabriolet repairs in Chciago area?-img_2863.jpg  

Last edited by klobbr; 11-10-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:43 PM

No need to snipe.

Just won the auction for a working Becker 1432 for $99.99. That feels good.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Repair update-Drivers ortho seat not working

All is well and now the car is "maintenace baselined" to 75k factory specs. Of course with some improvements to the top mechanicals as well.

Now I have this non working drivers ortho seat and I haven't found much through search. Any help would be great and thanks for giving!

Bob
Old 11-24-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 W124 300CE
Ortho Seat ?

Does it give back massages and help you to stand up to ?

Whats the problem with it Pastor Bob ?
Seems main problems with them are either
(a) electrical connections
(b) vacuum pump connections
(c) internal bladder in the seat !

Last edited by stormtigers; 11-24-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:46 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
I have the Orthos in my white Cab, they can enormously alter support levels and locations.

That said, they would be about 85% of my way down an urgency list...IE, I'd fix them after the car was otherwise perfect if the seats were comfortable for me as is.

Wish Orthos were in all cars,
my other Cab has heated seats,
which is a waste- have never used them.