E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Help. Ignition rotor sheared camshaft pin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55
Help. Ignition rotor sheared camshaft pin

Hello all. I was working on a 1995 e420 that had been sitting for a few years. It fired up but had what seemed like a misfire. After some testing and trying things I figured out there was no spark from any of the plugs going to the drivers side ignition. I thought maybe a coil maybe a cap. But when I pulled the cap I found this...one of the bolts that holds the rotor sheared off and caused the rotor to jam and sheared off the alignment pin on the cam shaft itself. What should I do here ?

Last edited by sl55er; 08-06-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:02 AM

1987 MERCEDES 300E
I am surprised no one has replied to this post yet. I would assume a new cam shaft would be in order. You might be able to drill it and input a new pin but I haven't heard of anyone doing that. Just an off the cuff thought.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:08 AM

sl55
Originally Posted by cfrantz
I am surprised no one has replied to this post yet. I would assume a new cam shaft would be in order. You might be able to drill it and input a new pin but I haven't heard of anyone doing that. Just an off the cuff thought.
I am also surprised. I was also thinking it would be possible to like up the notch perfectly with where the pin was. I am hoping that maybe the pin qas there just to make replacing the rotor very simple..just slap it on only goes one way. But if I really focus on getting it lined up I'm thinking and hoping it will work. Thoughts?
Old 08-21-2019, 12:45 AM

1987 MERCEDES 300E
Once again no expert, but i would imagine that pin also holds the arm in place as much as it aligns it. I know the arm is not a friction part and I would also consider that as a possibility, but, I don't know that the torque force of the bolt would out weight the torque force of the cam rotating. Like you said, its worth a shot. If it doesn't work you will at least confirm you do need a new cam.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:48 AM

1987 MERCEDES 300E
I would try drilling out the pin hole and inserting a new pin next. Also worth a try.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:17 AM

sl55
I'm afraid the pin metal is much harder the surrounding camshaft making it nearly impossible.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:01 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Do try a rawlplug drill bit you know what you would use to drill the wall with . In engineering i have used these to drill the hardest of steels with success use a small one first try making an insert to go in the hole with centre hole inside it, this will keep the drill in the centre you dont want the drill bit drifting off it will damage the thread in the camshaft. Dont go hastily at this time taking saves you a lot of grief .Make the collar first a good fit in the hole .Get a bolt the same size as the one that broke off , and with a pedestal drill -drill a hole to suit the drill bit through the bolt .Then screw it in to the camshaft as far as it will go .Now use a hand drill and use a drill bit of your choice .Try a special steel drill for hard materials or the one i mentioned to start with .Then drill in to the centre of the collar you made in to the centre in to broken bolt .Dont go to large with the drill the smaller the better so you dont take out the threads in camshaft. Hope this helps you remove it .
Old 09-10-2019, 02:07 AM

sl55
Originally Posted by optimusprime m1
Do try a rawlplug drill bit you know what you would use to drill the wall with . In engineering i have used these to drill the hardest of steels with success use a small one first try making an insert to go in the hole with centre hole inside it, this will keep the drill in the centre you dont want the drill bit drifting off it will damage the thread in the camshaft. Dont go hastily at this time taking saves you a lot of grief .Make the collar first a good fit in the hole .Get a bolt the same size as the one that broke off , and with a pedestal drill -drill a hole to suit the drill bit through the bolt .Then screw it in to the camshaft as far as it will go .Now use a hand drill and use a drill bit of your choice .Try a special steel drill for hard materials or the one i mentioned to start with .Then drill in to the centre of the collar you made in to the centre in to broken bolt .Dont go to large with the drill the smaller the better so you dont take out the threads in camshaft. Hope this helps you remove it .
I believe it's just a dowel. No thread just a slip fit
into the cam.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 AM

W124 260E
I am reading this wrong sorry i thought the fixing bolt was broken I had problems looking at the picture but i can see now half of the locating pin is in the end of the fixture. .But looking at the picture its the dowel thats sheared off because the bolt came loose letting the rotor fixture move and cutting in two . That part just pulls out your lucky it was not the securing screw . Removing it is not easy you have no room to get in there . Try a pin chuck .Turn it first to free it up.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:38 AM

sl55
Theres non sticking out. Its recessed. I'm more curious if its absolutly required or if I can just line it up perfectly and tighten the bolt and everything will be fine.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:44 AM

W124 260E
I would have that location pin out in 2 mins .Small drill down the centre as near enoght as possible then tap it with a small thread or you might do it with a self tapping screw ,, then with a large washers to cover the hole screw the bolt in to extract it or you could try a self tapping screw .Nothing holding it in there just snug fit . Try this or remove cam your deal . Dont rely on the screw to hold it in place because it must be in the right place or the firing will be out. I would first use centre punch to indent the broken pin ,in the centre , then you drill the small hole to suit the tap in to the centre of the broken pin .

Then with the thread tap the pin 1/4 inch deep this will be enough thread to extract it ,, now find a good sized washer to cover the hole,,remove the tap fit the nut on first ,then the washer ,, fit the tap in to the roll pin screw it to the thread that you put in there .Push the washer over the hole ,run the nut down the tread tap use a spanner on the nut to extract broken roll pin ,,