E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

REAR fog lights question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
REAR fog lights question

OKay so i buy new tail lights and when i am swapping them out, i notice the fog lamp bulb is not in the right tail light.. even the metal was there that blocks the bulb from going in (as if it never had one) *these are in the OEM tail lights that are still on the vehicle. ANYWAYS so i figured the car was maybe wrecked at one time and they didnt put the right socket in for the fog light. AND THEN, i was driving in the fog behind another E class and he had his fog lights on, and ONLY the right one had the bright light on. SO maybe its suposed to be like this?. i cant imagine why.. and then i checked my w140 s-class and its the same way.. but why would it be like this?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320
Originally Posted by nimski62
OKay so i buy new tail lights and when i am swapping them out, i notice the fog lamp bulb is not in the right tail light.. even the metal was there that blocks the bulb from going in (as if it never had one) *these are in the OEM tail lights that are still on the vehicle. ANYWAYS so i figured the car was maybe wrecked at one time and they didnt put the right socket in for the fog light. AND THEN, i was driving in the fog behind another E class and he had his fog lights on, and ONLY the right one had the bright light on. SO maybe its suposed to be like this?. i cant imagine why.. and then i checked my w140 s-class and its the same way.. but why would it be like this?

On my USA version 2001 E320, the rear fog light is on the 'left', or drivers' side. If both rear lights had 'fog' lights, it would simply look like the brake lights were on.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Yes, both of the cars in my garage have only a fog light on the driver's side.

If you look at Audis, which also have a rear fog light, they also only have it on the left side (at least on the A6).

This is perfectly normal. I rarely use the rear foglight, once, when a family member was driving my vehicle (on the first day it was acquired as well), she was pulled over on the highway, the policeman thought that the light was out. She had to explain that the rear foglight is very odd and is only on one side. Imagine the embarassment that you have to defend your newly acquired automobile.

Anyways, she only turned it on because she wanted the front foglights and sometimes when you're not careful, you pull the whole switch out (which turns on both the front and rear) instead of pulling it to just the first resistance point (which is just the front).

However, to my understanding, your car is fine. On one of our cars, there is also a small plastic/metal piece that prevents you from inserting a fog light. Even if you were to insert a bulb, it wouldn't work since there is no wiring there to support it.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:04 AM
C-2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E320
Originally Posted by patrick_y
Even if you were to insert a bulb, it wouldn't work since there is no wiring there to support it.
I found something interesting on the aftermarket rear tails (at least my set). The bulb slot for BOTH rear fogs is in fact already wired.

If a person wanted to "mod" the lights to both rear fogs (like some have done by wiring it), all you need is simply a bulb holder and bulb.

A rear what? I don't even use the front ones, lol
Old 09-19-2006, 01:08 AM

1998 E320
Yea, I came up with the same issue. I went to the dealer and asked why there was no right fog light bulb because I thought it had been in an accident. They had no answer but I found my answer on benzworld forums.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:04 AM

'04 Cobra & '04 S430
All German cars do it this way. Porsche does it the same way as well - one bright like on the left.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Focus ST
it is possible to wire both up as i have took literrally 5 minutes and 4:30 was taking of the insulation on the trunk....

and here is the thread that i started about the same toppic
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/135485-diy-2nd-rear-fog.html
Old 10-08-2006, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
great to wire them up so when you're doing a moonshine run and the poh-poh is on your tail, you just flip on the rear fogs and sheriff buford T pusser will
stomp on his brakes and you can gain a little distance.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
people people....... the reason why there is only one fog light is so people don't get confused with brake light. Now, why a fog light in the rear? So nobody comes up on you without seeing you in THICK FOG. Not in the goddamn rain, not in the goddamn night, or even day. Because in the last three situation, all you do is ****ing **** me off and blind me. Now if you put two fog lights by adding a second bulb, you're defeating the purpose....people are gonna think you're a dumb *** hitting the gas pedal. And again, if I'm behind you, at night or otherwise in a non fog condition, you will royally **** me off.

So don't be an idiot and don't add a second bulb and don't use it unless you TRULY fear somebody is gonna rear end you because you cannot be seen.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:22 PM

W210 E320
i'll have to agree with The Godfather on this point. I really don't want to do it but I nearly had some a$$hole try to run thru me on a really foggy day and because of that I can't take any risks knowing that half of the drivers over here are too stupid to tell the difference between rear fogs and brake lights (even though my old car had 2 rear fogs)
Old 10-10-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Why is it that every 8 months or so, an mbworld member comes out with the bright idea of either permanently turning on his left rear fog light (for a reason I can never understand) or asking how to put on another rear fog light on the right side of his rear lamp.

People, those lights are set-up that way for a specific safety related purpose. Please don't mess around with them.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
it's the MBW way....same as we do with just about any other part on the car
in which we're drawn to...and to modify. why shouldn't folks ask? it's in our
nature. the same holds true for headlights, air filters, cold air intake, tint,
DVD in motion etc and they, to some degree, impact safety or performance.
so...we ask.