E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?

Hello,
I have the Left side of my instrument display DARK.. trying to figure out HOW & WHERE the hell do i even begin to dismantle in order to install new bulbs?

I bought this little plastic "pry bar" set as i was told i would need that in order to remove interior panel pieces.

ANY HELP-KNOWLEDGE-PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES would greatly be appreciated!!

~t-bone~
Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
A lot of interior pieces just snap into place. The cluster is also a friction fit but requires a pair of 'cluster hooks' to free it. They are inserted at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions and used to pull the cluster out. Be especially careful on older dashes as the plastic has likely become brittle over the years.

If you don't have a tilt/telescopic steering wheel you may have trouble getting it all the way out. If so you may be able to find the bulbs 'by the braille method' if your hands aren't too big. Otherwise, you'd have to take off the steering wheel.

Last edited by RichardM98; 12-16-2011 at 05:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thenothingblack (06-28-2022)
Old 12-16-2011, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
There

is room to flip the cluster over and replace the bulbs without having to remove the steering wheel.
Get the cluster hook set w the radio/climate control keys.
Or make a set of hooks and gently wiggle the cluster out.
www.autohausaz.com has the bulbs you need at a fraction of the dealer cost.
if you remove the under dash bolster you can reach in and push the cluster out.
Video of both ways on www.benzworld.org w210 diy section.
Now if your pixels are dead that is a whole nuther matter
Old 12-16-2011, 08:01 PM

E320
AWESOME INFO !!!
Thanks you guys ... i will be trying it out this wknd. Let you know my progress !!!

PS - What do the hooks look like (shape wise?) Can they be made from Paper Clip size metal or wire hanger size?

Thanks again & have a great wknd!
~t-bone~
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you want to try to make your own, you can get SS wire at a hobby store. It should be rigid but not as thick as a common wire coat hanger. About 1/4" from the end make a 90 degree bend. Fashion a couple of handles that allow you to rotate and pull. Insert the 'hooks' about 3" in with the bend tip pointed up or down. Rotate 90 degrees so that the tips are point inward. Pull until the tip catches then alternate left-right-left pulling about 1/4" at a time.

Note that the place to insert them is at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. There is a small gap where the wood trim strip meets the cluster but that is too high.

To protect the dash a small piece of celluloid (like a microfiche) can be inserted so the wire does not rub on the dash parts.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Save yourself some grief and go to Ebay store and buy the kit as Oh Lord posted. It has the radio keys and the cluster removal hooks. The kit is very inexpensive. You need to know where to slide the hooks in to catch the cluster without damage. There is a diagram in the kit. The positions are on top at 10 and 2 o,clock. It is a snug fit but, they come out with out too much fuss. The cables connect only one way to the back so no worries there on hookup. On Ebay it is found under MB W210 gauge cluster removal tool kit.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM

E320
AWESOME !!! Thanks ~ejsheltra~ & OhLord .... dude that sounds like the way to go !!! Thanks again guys!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
i'm in so seattle (beacon hill) so if you happen to be nearby, i can loan you my
set hooks. also have tranny oil stick, spring compressor, radio release keys....
Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 PM

E320
AWESOME !! I tell you man i love this damn forum !!! I have learned so much this last year from people on this W210 forum and met hella cool people here.
Raymond - i just sent you PM with my contact info and hopefully i can meet you somewhere near Beacon Hill (maybe along Rainier Ave?) and get this instrument panel handled !!

Another question - Can you chang e out the "color" of the bulbs or is the yellow color (stock) just part of the plastic display color? Would like to make it bright white if possible.

Thanks again Raymond & everyone else for all the great info !! I checked out the multi-tool kit ..it was around $25 for a kit that included radio key & display hooks. But it didnt mention W210 in teh hook portion..is it basically "universal" ???
Old 12-23-2011, 06:49 PM

E320
Yesssssir!

Originally Posted by raymond g-
i'm in so seattle (beacon hill) so if you happen to be nearby, i can loan you my
set hooks. also have tranny oil stick, spring compressor, radio release keys....
Met up with raymond @ local Motorcycle shop. His car is BADAZZ and loaded with E55 goodies !!! Pics DO NOT do it justice..it is Clean & Mean !! Thanks Ray .. i plan on doing my cluster this Monday after Xmas....i'll try and take as many pics and document as much detail as i can remember...as i am sure i'll have two lil helpers hanging around while i do it...haha.

Thanks again to this Forum ..it is the best, as are teh members in it !!!

Mele' kaliki maka !!!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:42 PM

Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Hey man, I agree with you 100%! This forum rocks and so does BenzWorld. I would really appreciate it if you would take the pics and post a DIY on here. I just finished changing my climate control light (thanks to this forum) and I am sure it is only a matter of time before I loose some cluster lighting. Would love to see how it is done. By the way, I tried to make my own climate control/radio keys and they didn't work. Bought a pair on Amazon for $5.00 and they worked like majic. Having the correct tools is definitely the answer!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
tbone had racing seats with over-the-shoulder 4 point seat harness in the rear
great shape for a 97 didn't get to look under the hood - maybe next time
Old 12-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
slk 230
20 C240 cluster bulb replacement

Hi all, looking for a little help. My speedometer and fuel gauge backlight bulbs must be out inside my cluster. I removed the cluster (with coat hanger hooks worked good) and starting futzing with it. This has got to be one of the most hard clusters to work with as the light bulbs are not easy to get to on the back like others. Seems as if this whole cluster needs to come apart just to get too them. And DIY's on this? Thanks in advance. Craig
Old 12-27-2011, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In the W210 forum for benzworld locate the thread at the top for interior lighting DIY's. Scroll down to the one for instrument cluster bulb replacement. Should cover all the issues.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
slk 230
Cluster removal

The c class cluster has a hole on either side for a special tool to remove cluster. I took a coat hanger and inserted a pice in bothe sides at the same time. When you push it in you a. Feel the clips release. I left them in, and used thee interior tools to gently pry out the cluster. Work the tool around the whole edge to loosen it up. Took a little while do not pry and force
Or you will be sorry.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since there seems to be some differences between your C class and a E Class maybe posting in that forum will give better results.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:28 PM

E320
What type of Bulbs are these !?!?!

OK - so i have gotten the gauge cluster out .. and opened some of the differetn light bulb connectors...WTH !?!?! I have never seen lil tiny azz bulbs like these ??? Iam downloading pics righ tnow that i have been taking for step-by-step. But i am just gonna post the bulbs right now.. coz i need help sourcing new& possibly LEDs if possible?

• Need Bulb part numbers
  • Need info if there is LED bulb options for these?
  • entire left side of cluster was out..maybe a fuse?
Attached Thumbnails REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?-photo_b9e2d015-dd34-3733-94f3-3e6655df056c.jpg   REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?-wp_003809.jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
ohlord already gave you a lead earlier in the thread
Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 AM

E320
hey Ray...yes i looked at those sites. But what im really looking for is official MB part #s or bulb #s that are compatible to MB bulbs. I a mREALLY trying to replace with LED's
Two sites listed in MBWorld & BenzWorld are UK sites...was hoping for something stateside..but ... ???
AZNoptics here on MBWorld has LED's .. but he has Japanese vehicle...not sure he is failiar with Euro/German auto parts.

PS - thanks again for the kit, i would liek to keep for another two weeks if possible until i can order my own. I am really trying to get behind all teh controls & switches to replace bulbs to LED's. If you need it ..just holler and we can meet up to give it back. Those tools are SLICK !!

ohlord already gave you a lead earlier in the thread
Old 01-04-2012, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
redirect your attention to Benzworld. in the STICKY you can download the
Russian Parts Diagrams which are very similar to the Electronic Parts Catalog
at MBUSA. save to your hard drive and you can browse on your own.

i believe part # may be shown there (have seen before) but not sure if it works
for 1996-99 instrument clusters.

just below the Russian Parts Diagrams is a slightly older MB price list, which
you should be able to cross reference the part # to gauge price

just below the PRICE LIST is link to MBUSA's EPC which you can use free of
charge and may be even more accurate since you can dial in proper parts for
your VIN.

no problem to your hanging on to the hooks and keys. that ought to be good
for a quarter pounder, shakes and large fries, dont you think?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IC remove.pdf (33.8 KB, 1813 views)
IC RnR bulbs.pdf (47.0 KB, 1814 views)
Old 01-09-2012, 06:51 PM

E320
FINALLY!!! Apart & Awaiting Bulb Delivery

OK .. sorry for taking a little while to get pics & directions posted!
  1. Get ahold of the MB Tool Kit containing Keys & T-bars
    1. This will be the best $$$ you spent on yer vehicle!
    2. Thanks Ray !!
  2. Select the T-bars and place in each hand with "hooks" pointed towards each other & instrument cluster.
  3. Insert each hook into the dash right around the wood trim piece.
    1. insert only about 1/2 way ..not all the way in
    2. wiggle back and forth until it "hooks" into something solid.
    3. once you get both hooks settled in and holding, pull evenly on BOTH hooks..pull hard!
    4. wiggle wiggle PULL !! PULL !! ..wiggle wiggle ..BAM! it'll pop out
  4. Put Hooks/T-bars down...
    1. if you have telescopic sterring wheel. Extend ALL teh way out as far as possible and DOWN
    2. If not .. you need to take steering wheel off in order to pull cluster all teh way out.
  5. You are now ready to pull Instrument Cluster STRAIGHT out
    1. Flip it up and over and let it rest on top of dash
    2. You now have access to all the bulbs in cluster
  6. If need be .. you can put it back into the pocket where it came from, but NOT all the way back in and drive with it like this until you have bulbs to replace.
    1. I did this as i didnt know what type of and quanity of bulbs needed before i pulled it.
Attached Thumbnails REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?-benz-dash-001.jpg   REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?-benz-dash-002.jpg   REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?-benz-dash-003.jpg   REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?-benz-dash-004.jpg   REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?-benz-dash-005.jpg  

REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?-benz-dash-006.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 PM

E320
Continued - Additional pics

Here are additional pics
Attached Thumbnails REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?-benz-dash-008.jpg   REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?-benz-dash-bulbs.jpg   REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?-benz-dash-007a.jpg  

Last edited by tbone006; 01-09-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
i just noticed in post #20 that the diagram was cut off for the 96-99 cluster
so here it is again, intact. tbone, let me know if you want me to remove your
pics from the PDF. I added them as a one stop shopping document for folks
but I included link to this thread so you get the commission and credit for photos
Attached Files
IC RnR bulbs.pdf (628.8 KB, 1682 views)
Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 PM

E320
Ray,
That is AWESOME! No its all good i appreciate you doing that document for all of us to reference and like being part of your document! I just recvd my LEDs from superbrightleds.com and they worked out great..so i will take pics to update!! Thanks again for all your help & knowledge .. it has helped me out for sure !!

i just noticed in post #20 that the diagram was cut off for the 96-99 cluster
so here it is again, intact. tbone, let me know if you want me to remove your
pics from the PDF. I added them as a one stop shopping document for folks
but I included link to this thread so you get the commission and credit for photos

Last edited by tbone006; 01-18-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-19-2012, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
i didn't realize how large a cavity it was behind the IC. why you could hide a
whole (body, brick, gat....) back there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL BULBS - How to remove the Instrument Cluster?