E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Mercedes Benz 2000 E320 Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 4Matic 2002
Mercedes Benz 2000 E320 Transmission Issues

Hello every Master Mechanics/Expert:
I have a Mercedes Benz 2000 E320. I has 192,000.00 It has functioned well until about a month ago. 1) When driving and changing from lower gears to higher gears, 1-to-2, 2 to 3it will jerk or hesitate. I mentioned to a general mechanic he suggested and made me change "Spark Plug and Ignition Wires" I did, the problem persisted. Then the car will NOT change gear, it remained in gear one (1) only, No problem with reverse gear]. The same general mechanic the second time suggested I do transmission service by changing fluid, filter and gasket - I changed transmission fluid / filter and gasket. The gear will not shift, remain in gear one(1). 2) The mechanic said he read code P0700 now suggesting I change / rebuild the transmission. I got another scanning which suggested there are a couple of plugs 3 and 4 misfiring and a small leak. Please help and advise me how to resolve this problem.

The following users liked this post:
MJ50 (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 721 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W210 forum...
Old 10-17-2023, 12:19 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2004 e500
So is it misfiring or not? If you have cylinders misfiring, then fix that. Spark plugs, wire, coils in that order until misfire stops.

As for transmission, start with checking fluid level. If good, then it may be time for conductor plate, fluid, filter and electrical connector swap.

The following users liked this post:
davmil2002 (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 12:38 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
C43 AMG with a tune up
That general mechanic is jerking you off!
What has plugs and spark wires have to do with transmission shifting weird?
He's stupid!
Go to another shop specialized in MB

Your car i s a high mileage, perhaps transmission needs an overhaul?
When was the last time did you replaced the conductor plate and pilot bushing, these worn parts together could cause erratic shifting.
If transmission oil creaped up into your TCU and flooding it, this could be another issue for your transmission?
Old 10-17-2023, 07:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2000 E320
My experience with transmission are from other brand. All from domestic market (GM, Ford and Chrysler). So ours could be different, but when you lost all but one gear, it's usually at the end of transmission life and it needs overhaul. I know it has reverse but reverse is not used as much as the forward gears, so most of the time, reverse is fine. Sometimes, you may have two gears but even at that, trans is at end of it's life. What's happening in the trans is that clutch pack is worned beyond service limit and hydraulic and spring pressure no longer able to hold the clutch against the metal plates. Lower gear usually goes first due to it's use (higher gear only engages at higher speed, and less shocks going into the clutch packs, hence less wear). Our trans construction maybe different, so I'm not sure if this apply, but when this happens, it bleed off all the hydraulic pressure from there (either at the worned out clutch pack drum or at the shaft), hence no other gears. Reverse usually have whole different circuitry and not affected by forward gears). Your description of trans flaring when shifting is a good indication of worned out clutch (it's flaring due to pressure trying to build up. And it jerks because it finally build enough pressure to engage the clutch pack).

Also, your car may drive OK for a while when car is cold, but that due to all the clearance been tight due to not enough heat buildup but once it's up to temp, it will not shift. So my recommendation is take it to reputable trans shop. Taking out the trans and take them to the shop is usually cheaper as they don't have to remove/install the trans. But that's usually, not always. Also, make sure to have your torque converter flush while you have the trans out. All that clutch lining particle are trapped inside the converter as most of the fluid is trapped there.

Lastly, whatever you do, DO NOT take it to nationwide "We do your trans" type of shops. They creates more problem than solution. Take it to reputable shop. You may pay little more but in a long run, you'll save money. Dealer is another place you may want toavoid. Their work is guarantee, but you need to prove them that they f**ked up, and they won't usually admit they did f**ked up. And of course, the money.

I'm not sure how long you want to keep the car, but depending on the cost, getting used trans may be an option.

And once again, my experience are from doemestic American V-8s.

Old 10-18-2023, 12:05 AM

E320 4Matic 2002
Thanks for your detailed response. Be blessed
Old 10-18-2023, 12:06 AM

E320 4Matic 2002
Thanks for your response and sharing insight !!!
Old 10-18-2023, 05:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
If my transmission stayed in one gear I would assume it had gone into limp mode. That is what Mercedes uses to force you to go have someone fix it's problem, which could be as simple as a bad conductor plate/speed sensor. I am not a transmission man but don't assume that no shift means the transmission has to be replaced.