E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Mercedes-Benz Giveth .. and Mercedes-Benz Taketh Away!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
Mercedes-Benz Giveth .. and Mercedes-Benz Taketh Away!

I knew that I couldn’t expect any BIG changes in the 08s.
Probably just a few little tiny Add-ons, or improvements.

BUT, I never expected a “taketh away!”

For 08, no more turn down right mirror when you go into
reverse! Shop said they dropped that for the 08‘s. I liked
that a lot. (I wonder - what Other “taketh” have I not yet
discovered?)

jimm

==========

‘08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black,Parktronic,
Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut, Split rear seat,
Wood/leather steering wheel

Last edited by jimm; 07-27-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM

2009 C63 AMG Black/Black
I have a late 2007 model. My mirror does not adjust for parking either.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E550 4Matic, '09 S600, '07 CL600
Guys,

There has been a few comments around this forum that the mirror is still capable of tilting all the way down, it was just turned off within the Mercs software.

Apparently they can turn it back on via the STAR program.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Originally Posted by ddskier
Guys,

There has been a few comments around this forum that the mirror is still capable of tilting all the way down, it was just turned off within the Mercs software.

Apparently they can turn it back on via the STAR program.
nice stable you got there.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Taken away because there were too many complaints that the mirror wouldn't return to its exact "forward driving" position. It got close, and many time exactly there, but you know MB Owners. "for this price it has to be perfect", and MBUSA didn't want any complaints in their drive to fix their JD Powers complaint ratings. (Which demonstrably show that the product has few complaints now! ...and is at the top of the A list again.)

Rarely do I need it to look down, If I do, I use the button to adjust it down & when I finish parking I press Driver # 1. No, its not automatic, but it beats the hell out of not having the mirror go back to the full upright position, and as I said, I personally hardly need it to gow down. Being an MB owner I am relegated to parking far far away from anything else resembling another car or a store.

The sales literature for the '07s said that depending on the date of production, the car may or may not have the parking aid feature. My '07 was built Jan 21, 07 and doesn't have it.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I think earlier models had a feature to allow the mirrors to fold to a closed position when you turned the car off. This doesn't happen on the 08's and maybe the 07's too.

Originally Posted by jimm

discovered?)

jimm

==========

Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Vik888
I think earlier models had a feature to allow the mirrors to fold to a closed position when you turned the car off. This doesn't happen on the 08's and maybe the 07's too.
This subject is so old it has hair on it. The MBUSA 211 never had this feature however in Europe it is standard. You can install them or have them installed for you one source being: https://mbworld.org/forums/members/1384-mbenznl.html
Old 07-27-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jimm

discovered?)

jimm

==========

Your 08 E350 is pretty much exactly what I am going to lease, but I am planning Iridium silver/black, am skipping the split rear seat, and will probably pass on the Sport package. A couple questions:

Did you get the Sport for appearances or because the drive is different? Also, have you found the P2 package to be worthwhile? Finally, how does the voice work. Does it respond at any time or do you activate it with a button? Thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
There is a "turn signal" like stalk on the right side of the column you pull towards you & then you hear a beep. (Your signal to speak). All 211 columns have the mounting hole for this stalk. Look at around 1 oclock on the side of the column, you will see a small hole with a black cap or plug in it.

What the voice is designed to operate, it does so flawlessly. P2 will give you Bi Xenon headlights. Quite simply the best headlight system you will ever drive with. If you can "swing it" do it! I day to day driving, the Sports Pkg, doesn't give you more of a sports car. If they charged even a Grand for it, I would have skipped it... but I wanted the LED tail lights because of THEIR look & visible Dual Exhaust is nice to look at. (They're ALL dual exhaust anyway.) For me it just made the car a little more of a stand-out to people who know Benzes. (I hear ALL 550's are Sports for '08, so on a 350, it will stand out even more.) The staggered wheel set up is nonsense to me because you lose the ability to rotate the tires, so tire life is an issue. Also the extra wide rears are noisier as they "slap" across seams in the cement pavement at lower speeds. The Sports Pkg wheels however are much nicer to look at than the everyday standard wheels. There is virtually no difference in handling between Sport & Non Sport, as I've had both. The Blue Glass? So what? It doesn't do anything & might look "off" with some paint colors.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
There is a "turn signal" like stalk on the right side of the column you pull towards you & then you hear a beep. (Your signal to speak). All 211 columns have the mounting hole for this stalk. Look at around 1 oclock on the side of the column, you will see a small hole with a black cap or plug in it.

What the voice is designed to operate, it does so flawlessly. P2 will give you Bi Xenon headlights. Quite simply the best headlight system you will ever drive with. If you can "swing it" do it! I day to day driving, the Sports Pkg, doesn't give you more of a sports car. If they charged even a Grand for it, I would have skipped it... but I wanted the LED tail lights because of THEIR look & visible Dual Exhaust is nice to look at. (They're ALL dual exhaust anyway.) For me it just made the car a little more of a stand-out to people who know Benzes. (I hear ALL 550's are Sports for '08, so on a 350, it will stand out even more.) The staggered wheel set up is nonsense to me because you lose the ability to rotate the tires, so tire life is an issue. Also the extra wide rears are noisier as they "slap" across seams in the cement pavement at lower speeds. The Sports Pkg wheels however are much nicer to look at than the everyday standard wheels. There is virtually no difference in handling between Sport & Non Sport, as I've had both. The Blue Glass? So what? It doesn't do anything & might look "off" with some paint colors.
Can one get part of the sport package (ie LED lights) and not other parts (ie tires)? Would this look strange?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Adding stuff ala carte thru the Parts Department and guys who mod cars can add just about whatever you want but its generally much more expensive.