E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

FSS question for 2003 W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 E450 Coupe, 2022 Porsche Macan, 2001 Porsche 911
FSS question for 2003 W211

According to my FSS+ my next service is in 3,000 miles and indicates service "G" is due (no + sign so no brakes yet). According to the manual, service "G" basically stands for a lot of man-hours.

I looked into what needs to be done by going into the list in the FSS+ system and it indicates that I have to do the following service numbers: 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, &14 - so quite an extensive list. The majority is quite simple, I think, such as replacing combination filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, brake fluid, oil change, and misc. other fluids.

Here's my question: my w211 is only 4 years old and I only have 48,000 miles, and service #5 calls for replacing the fuel filter every 60,000 miles or 5 years. Service #7 calls for replacing the spark plugs every 100,000 miles or 5 years. Why would it be asking me to do this work?

Am I missunderstanding the system? if I perform the other easier stuff - like items 3, & 5 and "confirm it" on the FSS+ system, does service "G" then become a lesser letter, like service "E" or "F"? Or do I have to do everything on the list in order to meet the requirements to satisfy the computer?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' E320
changing w211 spark plugs

Does anyone know if when changing the spark plugs does the socket that mounts on top of the plugs comes off by pulling them or is there a directional twisting motion that has to be made before pulling it off the plug? I'm just being carefull not to break any part of the coil pack.
Thanx
Old 11-11-2007, 01:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
Originally Posted by mdreef
According to my FSS+ my next service is in 3,000 miles and indicates service "G" is due (no + sign so no brakes yet). According to the manual, service "G" basically stands for a lot of man-hours.

I looked into what needs to be done by going into the list in the FSS+ system and it indicates that I have to do the following service numbers: 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, &14 - so quite an extensive list. The majority is quite simple, I think, such as replacing combination filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, brake fluid, oil change, and misc. other fluids.

Here's my question: my w211 is only 4 years old and I only have 48,000 miles, and service #5 calls for replacing the fuel filter every 60,000 miles or 5 years. Service #7 calls for replacing the spark plugs every 100,000 miles or 5 years. Why would it be asking me to do this work?

Am I missunderstanding the system? if I perform the other easier stuff - like items 3, & 5 and "confirm it" on the FSS+ system, does service "G" then become a lesser letter, like service "E" or "F"? Or do I have to do everything on the list in order to meet the requirements to satisfy the computer?

Thanks in advance!!
I also have 2003 W211 and every time I brought my car in for service to the dealership, my SA would look at items called out by FSS and then cross checked them with his printed manual (which contained same information as your user manual). Some of the items (like spark plugs or fuel filter) weren't due until certain mileage and he simply crossed them off from the work ticket. I don't think that he was trying to get 'cheap' on me -- my services were covered by MB and the dealership would get reimbursed for part and labor by the manufacturer. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about these items and do them when you hit certain mileage.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:21 AM

GL350
Originally Posted by SuperCarver
Does anyone know if when changing the spark plugs does the socket that mounts on top of the plugs comes off by pulling them or is there a directional twisting motion that has to be made before pulling it off the plug? I'm just being carefull not to break any part of the coil pack.
Thanx
Mine came off pretty easy with a strong straight out pull.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:50 AM

03' E320
Smile Changing W211 Spark Plugs

i'll try it again but it wasn't that easy to pull out.
Thanx
Old 11-11-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 E450 Coupe, 2022 Porsche Macan, 2001 Porsche 911
Originally Posted by MB500
I also have 2003 W211 and every time I brought my car in for service to the dealership, my SA would look at items called out by FSS and then cross checked them with his printed manual (which contained same information as your user manual). Some of the items (like spark plugs or fuel filter) weren't due until certain mileage and he simply crossed them off from the work ticket. I don't think that he was trying to get 'cheap' on me -- my services were covered by MB and the dealership would get reimbursed for part and labor by the manufacturer. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about these items and do them when you hit certain mileage.
Thanks MB500 I like your answer, which is different from Koningstiger who recommended that I perform the work on the list on the FSS. He mentioned that it's due to driving conditions, and the car knows what it needs...
I'm going to ask the dealer to see what they would do...I would rather not do the work if it isn't really nescessary...

Thanks for your input!!
Old 11-13-2007, 03:17 PM
X72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord
mdreef, I recently replaced both fuel pumps (that is right, there are 2 of them) on my 03 E320 at about 75k miles. I skipped the fuel filter replacement when the FSS asked for it about 60k miles. The fuel filter is built into the fuel pump; there is no separate fuel filter. At least that is what my mechanic told me.

I replaced the fuel pumps because the car was hesitating badly.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:46 PM

2004 E500 4matic
Originally Posted by X72
mdreef, I recently replaced both fuel pumps (that is right, there are 2 of them) on my 03 E320 at about 75k miles. I skipped the fuel filter replacement when the FSS asked for it about 60k miles. The fuel filter is built into the fuel pump; there is no separate fuel filter. At least that is what my mechanic told me.

I replaced the fuel pumps because the car was hesitating badly.
oh my goodness

if the fuel filter is in the pump how car you change it?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
X72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord
Originally Posted by bigmel
oh my goodness

if the fuel filter is in the pump how car you change it?
bigmel, replacing the main fuel pump is the way to replace the fuel filter according to my mechanic. I don't know if MB changed this design on later models. My mechanic charged me about $850 to replace both fuel pumps.