E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

$1,100 for Airmatic Front Strut!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 E500
$1,100 for Airmatic Front Strut!!!

Seems the old adage it true: No good deed goes unpunished......

I got my George W Bush stimulus check yesterday (Monday). I think the gubment and Benz are in cahoots... I leave work yesterday at 4:45pm. Pull out of my company's parking garage and my warning cluster goes red, saying Stop, car too low!. I drive another block and pull over. The front passenger suspension had fallen and wouldn't lift. I cut the car off and listened for the compressor to start running. It did. So I cranked the car. I watched the strut try to lift the car. It raised about an inch and sunk back down. Then it did it again, and again. All the while I can hear air seeping. I crack the hood and check to anything visibly loose. Nothing. So I get back in the car and start home, driving very slowly (through the city instead of the freeway).

I call my mechanic frien (who works at the dealer). I describe the problem to him. He tells me to bring it in, he'd check it out. He asked if I remembered hitting anything that might've knocked something loose. I didn't.

Anyway, I take my car to Park Place Mercedes in Dallas, and he checks it out. The airmatic strut actuator was puncturued and the hydraulic fluid in it had run out, causing the air bladder not to inflate. The entire strut had to be replaced. $1,100 dollars.

So my stimulus check was spent at Mercedes Benz.

Last edited by Taylor-Made'90; 05-13-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Wink

Well there you go! George Bush looking out for his buddies who drive nice MBs!!
Originally Posted by Taylor-Made'90

I got my George W Bush stimulus check yesterday (Monday). I think the gubment and Benz are in cahoots... I leave work yesterday at 4:45pm. Pull out of my company's parking garage and my warning cluster goes red, saying Stop, car too low!. I drive another block and pull over. The front passenger suspension had fallen and wouldn't lift. I cut the car off and listened for the compressor to start running. It did. So I cranked the car. I watched the strut try to lift the car. It raised about an inch and sunk back down. Then it did it again, and again. All the while I can hear air seeping. I crack the hood and check to anything visibly loose. Nothing. So I get back in the car and start home, driving very slowly (through the city instead of the freeway).

I call my mechanic frien (who works at the dealer). I describe the problem to him. He tells me to bring it in, he'd check it out. He asked if I remembered hitting anything that might've knocked something loose. I didn't.

Anyway, I take my car to Park Place Mercedes in Dallas, and he checks it out. The airmatic strut actuator was puncturued and the hydraulic fluid in it had run out, causing the air bladder not to inflate. The entire strut had to be replaced. $1,100 dollars.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car

So my stimulus check was spent at Mercedes Benz. [/size]
Be glad you got a stimulus check, not everyone gets that nice government handout!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
Be glad you got a stimulus check, not everyone gets that nice government handout!
+1

I'm on the no-no list too.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 AM

2004 E500 4Matic Wagon

Same thing happened to mine a few months ago. Dealer said it would have been $1200 to replace, but was covered under the CPO warranty so no charge to me. Makes me nervous about other hidden problems after the warranty expires in Nov.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:51 AM

E320

Sorry to hear about the strut going out- Funny how our cars or home always seem to time a breakdown or repair should we happen to come into some extra or discretionary funds

A similar thing happened to our 99' BMW 5 series wagon at about 120K miles. It had a hydraulic shock for rear loads and the air bladder leaked- $1100 for the part and $650 to install.

How many miles do you have on the car? Does anyone know if this is an item that is inspected in one of the scheduled services?

e
Old 05-14-2008, 05:27 PM

'03 E500
Originally Posted by enr1co
Sorry to hear about the strut going out- Funny how our cars or home always seem to time a breakdown or repair should we happen to come into some extra or discretionary funds

A similar thing happened to our 99' BMW 5 series wagon at about 120K miles. It had a hydraulic shock for rear loads and the air bladder leaked- $1100 for the part and $650 to install.

How many miles do you have on the car? Does anyone know if this is an item that is inspected in one of the scheduled services?

e
58K on mine... The mechanic called and said it appeared that something struck the strut, puncturing the canister and causing the hydraulic fluid to leak. This caused the air bladder to not inflate completely.

But I had him inspect the other three and he reported they all looked good.

But I don't remember hitting anything they would've/could've caused that damage...
Old 05-14-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
58K on mine... The mechanic called and said it appeared that something struck the strut, puncturing the canister and causing the hydraulic fluid to leak. This caused the air bladder to not inflate completely.

But I had him inspect the other three and he reported they all looked good.

But I don't remember hitting anything they would've/could've caused that damage...
Same thing happened to me. I was driving in heavy traffic (if anyone in NY remembers the real heavy rain and flood we had around this time last year). The front passenger side shock deflated and i got all the "stop car" malfunctions and the hydraulic pump trying to re-inflate the shock. It was like 1 week after my CPO warranty expired but the dealer fixed it in good will. I DID NOT hit anything. It's just another quality control issue with our 03-05 e-classes. This was the 4th shock related problem i had in 1 year. 2 rear shocks changed, leaky line to rear shocks, and thrust joints (?).

Way to go MB!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 PM

2006 e55 AMG
Well if you guys are sick of the dealer rippin you off and you want these parts for half the price pm me.I parted out a e55 and the airmatic is the same so parts will work in the other E series.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Originally Posted by daminchi
Well if you guys are sick of the dealer rippin you off and you want these parts for half the price pm me.I parted out a e55 and the airmatic is the same so parts will work in the other E series.
Is it your 2006 that you parted out? I dont really think i would need them because i have changed 3 out of 4 (i hope i dont get jinxed), but i wouldnt put a used 2003-04 Airmatic as it most likely will fail (speaking from experience). I would just spend $ on a new one, or a used 2005-08.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:33 PM

'03 E500
Originally Posted by daminchi
Check your PM....

Old 05-16-2008, 12:25 AM

2007 A8L 4.2
Same thing happened to me last year, but a buddy at the dealership hooked me up for $400 and I changed it myself. Pretty easy job, not unlike changing a normal strut. Price today would probably be $600 or $700 because of the weak dollar. No problems since.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM

2003 E500
Wow, had the same experience!

a.) Be glad you're getting a stimulus check. I wish I were!
b.) Had the exact same thing happen to me except at 75mph on the freeway. "Car too low" red message of doom. Crap! Drove the car very gingerly to my destination, and sure enough, passenger front was dropped lower than the sweetest low-rider you've seen. FORTUNATELY, CPO save my behind.
c.) My CPO just ended on 05/13/08. Every day is like Russian Roulette with my bank account! I thought about posting about it on 05/13 to ask for my MB brethren to pray for me.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 PM

2003 mercedes benz E320
Front driver's side sqeeking.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I have an 03 E320 95k miles on it. Lately, the front driver side has been sweeking every time I go over a pot hole or encounter rough ground. It sounds terrible. The ride is still normal and smooth, but it pains me to hear that noise coming from the front driver side wheel arch. I took it to firestone to see what's wrong with it and i was told that I need to replace the strut and the strut mount. I am kinda scared of taking it to the mercedes-benz dealership to get a second opinion, because they are known to inflate the situation and charge you an arm and a leg. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by nizzyp
I have an 03 E320 95k miles on it. Lately, the front driver side has been sweeking every time I go over a pot hole or encounter rough ground. It sounds terrible. The ride is still normal and smooth, but it pains me to hear that noise coming from the front driver side wheel arch.
The upper ball joint sealing boot could be damaged or torn – may also cause a thumping noise. If this is the case, the joint needs replacement.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by nizzyp
I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I have an 03 E320 95k miles on it. Lately, the front driver side has been sweeking every time I go over a pot hole or encounter rough ground. It sounds terrible. The ride is still normal and smooth, but it pains me to hear that noise coming from the front driver side wheel arch. I took it to firestone to see what's wrong with it and i was told that I need to replace the strut and the strut mount. I am kinda scared of taking it to the mercedes-benz dealership to get a second opinion, because they are known to inflate the situation and charge you an arm and a leg. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Like konigstiger explains, this issue is not Airmatic related, a different issue from the one of this thread.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Don't go

to firestone or the dealer.Find a good indie mercedes shop,it sounds like a sway bar drop link is bad,and that is what is making the racket.
ohlord
Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
i need driver side strut
whos got one