E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear Seat DVD system recs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL450
Rear Seat DVD system recs?

We've got a 2009 E350 and are planning on taking a fairly decent car trip with our 21 month old daughter this summer. We were originally against having TV/DVD in the car but now we think we're gonna need it.

Any recommendations for a system that won't require too much in the way of installation (it's a lease so don't want something too permanent)? I was wondering if there are any systems that are in the headrest (i.e., you replace the headrest) or maybe hang/attach the screen to the back of the seat.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Vizualogic is your best bet.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 PM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
Vizualogic is your best bet.
Thanks. Looks like Rosen or Vizualogic are the top contenders. Any idea what sort of ballpark cost I'd be looking at for a single screen/single dvd set-up? I'm hoping to go with something as simple as possible.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, what exactly are you looking to do? Do you want a one rear headrest unit, a flip down unit? You may be able to find some good deals on EBay take a look
Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is my favorite look for rear-seat entertainment if I was going to do it. Ever seen it before? Its a Euro setup but can be done here.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Seat DVD system recs?-e-class-euro-rear.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009, 02:15 AM

N/A
This is my favorite look for rear-seat entertainment if I was going to do it. Ever seen it before? Its a Euro setup but can be done here.
any place else other than mbdoctor has that setup? they want 1100 for a small screen which is ridiculous
Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 AM

2014 GL450
That looks cool but I think I'd prefer a screen behind a seat or headrest- both because my daughter's car seat is almost always on one side or the other and because we would like to have the opening between the seats for access from the front seats to the back.

Would love to find a decent one screen/one dvd setup that either is in the headrest or behind the seat. Ideally, it would be something that could be installed without too much fuss so it can removed at the end of the lease without leaving any permanent damage, etc.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E63 / 2013 911C4S
If you have dark interior (mine is black), I would rec what we have -- Audiovox 9 inch screens that attach with a "velcro" strap. I am not saying it is sexy -- it ain't. However, it works and it is very inexpensive. We have had to replace one of them already, if it had been installed in the headrest, it would have been expensive and a hassel. Again, if there were a reasonable "custom" solution -- I would but it. BTW, we were against the idea of the DVD in the car, but we make many regional trips (4 hours plus or minus) and the DVD is just great. I can tell you the scene from just about any Star Wars movie, based on a few sentances because I hear them all so often (headphones are good too). Our audiovox also came with a remote so your wife (or you) could control without having to be in the rear seat with you little one.

Last edited by rpmnospin; 03-30-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something, my son says important
Old 03-30-2009, 01:33 PM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by rpmnospin
If you have dark interior (mine is black), I would rec what we have -- Audiovox 9 inch screens that attach with a "velcro" strap. I am not saying it is sexy -- it ain't. However, it works and it is very inexpensive. We have had to replace one of them already, if it had been installed in the headrest, it would have been expensive and a hassel. Again, if there were a reasonable "custom" solution -- I would but it. BTW, we were against the idea of the DVD in the car, but we make many regional trips (4 hours plus or minus) and the DVD is just great. I can tell you the scene from just about any Star Wars movie, based on a few sentances because I hear them all so often (headphones are good too). Our audiovox also came with a remote so your wife (or you) could control without having to be in the rear seat with you little one.
RPM-

Thanks. I have black seats and that sounds like a really promising idea without spending too much money on a custom headrest option. Hate to impose- but any chance you could post a pic sometime of the set-up or otherwise describe in more detail? I am really leaning toward a cheaper solution as I'm not eager to spend a ton of money customizing a leased car. If it had been a factory option though, I probably would've seriously thought about getting it.

Thanks again.