E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Concerns about buying E350 with 80k miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Smile Concerns about buying E350 with 80k miles?

I'm looking for a used E350, probably an '08 or '09. A few I've seen in my price range have up to 80,000 miles on them. Other than brakes and tires, what are the most likely maintenance items I should be expecting, or make sure have already been completed? A few concerns I have:

- Ball joints?
- Other suspension components?
- Common electrical things that fail?
- Are there any other expensive failures on these I should look for?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
A 6-Cyl W211 can be a great buy

The good thing is that a 6-cyl E350 of '08/'09is unlikely to have the air suspension complication of an E500, and lacks the SBC braking system. They are two expensive areas that you won't need to worry about, unless you find one optioned-up with air suspension.

I am unsure if the E350 can come with a panoramic sunroof, but if you find one and want it, check the operation is very smooth. They are stupendously expensive to replace. Same if there is a rear-window sunshade. Check all the accessories actually work. Whilst it makes sense to focus on the mechanicals, it is astounding how much it can cost to get accessories/options fixed.

Your auto transmission is an area to consider carefully. Know if there's been a transmission fluid and filter change by 80K. There really should have been and, if not, check carefully and change it right away.

Find out if the engine has had a balance shaft replacement. (I have no more to say on that, since I own an E320 for which that wasn't an issue)

If a 4Matic, then much the same goes for the diff oils and transfer case fluids. Ask for the history and then change them anyway.

Look at the brake rotors/disks, not just the pads. It is conceivable that it may have the original rotors, but they would be past due replacement. Not hard to change next time the pads are changed, but budget it in if they are original rotors at either end.

At 80K, I would expect some ball-joints to be needing replacement or approaching that. On the other hand, the engine should still be pretty good and not need anything much. Budget on new plugs and wires at 100K and maybe a new accessory belt and tensioner. There is no cam-belt to worry about.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
I would check to see if its affected for the balance shaft , I know the 2006 and 2007 were.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 4matic Sport
Agreed ... other than the normal maint items listed above ... the biggest/primary concern is the dreaded M272 Engine Balance Shaft defect. Search on this forum for "Balance Shaft" and determine if your prospective car fits the serial numbers that were affected by this. If the SN's fall within the range of potential Balance Shaft defect engines .... turn around and walk away from the deal. Simple as that.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM

E350
Wow, thanks ozusa!

Originally Posted by ozusa
The good thing is that a 6-cyl E350 of '08/'09is unlikely to have the air suspension complication of an E500, and lacks the SBC braking system. They are two expensive areas that you won't need to worry about, unless you find one optioned-up with air suspension.

I am unsure if the E350 can come with a panoramic sunroof, but if you find one and want it, check the operation is very smooth. They are stupendously expensive to replace. Same if there is a rear-window sunshade. Check all the accessories actually work. Whilst it makes sense to focus on the mechanicals, it is astounding how much it can cost to get accessories/options fixed.

Your auto transmission is an area to consider carefully. Know if there's been a transmission fluid and filter change by 80K. There really should have been and, if not, check carefully and change it right away.

Find out if the engine has had a balance shaft replacement. (I have no more to say on that, since I own an E320 for which that wasn't an issue)

If a 4Matic, then much the same goes for the diff oils and transfer case fluids. Ask for the history and then change them anyway.

Look at the brake rotors/disks, not just the pads. It is conceivable that it may have the original rotors, but they would be past due replacement. Not hard to change next time the pads are changed, but budget it in if they are original rotors at either end.

At 80K, I would expect some ball-joints to be needing replacement or approaching that. On the other hand, the engine should still be pretty good and not need anything much. Budget on new plugs and wires at 100K and maybe a new accessory belt and tensioner. There is no cam-belt to worry about.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the detailed information! This is extremely helpful and will help me find the right car.

One question on the transmission fluid. I found a maintenance schedule that says the fluid and filter need to be changed only once at something like 39,000 miles, and then never again. Could that be correct?

Your comment on all the accessories makes sense. The dealer is inviting me in to look at one with the P2 package. I think I'll pass...those are all nice bells and whistles but I plan on keeping the car until it's no longer economical to drive, hopefully about 300,000 to 400,000 miles, and I don't want to have to replace those things later. I like the P1 package and sport package and that's about it.

Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 PM

E350
Balance Shaft

Originally Posted by 801
Agreed ... other than the normal maint items listed above ... the biggest/primary concern is the dreaded M272 Engine Balance Shaft defect. Search on this forum for "Balance Shaft" and determine if your prospective car fits the serial numbers that were affected by this. If the SN's fall within the range of potential Balance Shaft defect engines .... turn around and walk away from the deal. Simple as that.
Thanks, 801. The balance shaft appears to be a serious issue, along with the old SBC brakes. I searched the forum and found another thread that shows a website to search for the info directly. Hopefully that's accurate and will steer me in the right direction.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
The transmission fluid should be changed more the once.....

Originally Posted by agarya
Thanks for the detailed information! This is extremely helpful and will help me find the right car.

One question on the transmission fluid. I found a maintenance schedule that says the fluid and filter need to be changed only once at something like 39,000 miles, and then never again. Could that be correct?

Your comment on all the accessories makes sense. The dealer is inviting me in to look at one with the P2 package. I think I'll pass...those are all nice bells and whistles but I plan on keeping the car until it's no longer economical to drive, hopefully about 300,000 to 400,000 miles, and I don't want to have to replace those things later. I like the P1 package and sport package and that's about it.

Thanks again!
Yes, Mercedes say to change the trans fluid once it at 39,000 and that it is then good for the life of the car. They then wash their hands of it. The question is what does the "life of the car" mean. To MB, frankly, it means the time under warranty and they don't want to do it twice. The fluid does deteriorate and it is fairly cheap to replace compared to the cost of major transmission work. I suggest you get it changed by someone competent on MB cars, along with the trans filter, every 40 - 50K miles.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by ozusa
Yes, Mercedes say to change the trans fluid once it at 39,000 and that it is then good for the life of the car. They then wash their hands of it. The question is what does the "life of the car" mean. To MB, frankly, it means the time under warranty and they don't want to do it twice. The fluid does deteriorate and it is fairly cheap to replace compared to the cost of major transmission work. I suggest you get it changed by someone competent on MB cars, along with the trans filter, every 40 - 50K miles.
Life of the car = two more weeks = your life time = life of next tank of gas

There is no definition for "life of the car" no time or miles. Therefore not worth the paper or time used to discuss it.

Just change the oil every 40 or 50,K miles and you should be ok.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
You can decode the VIN to see if the car is equipped with the defected balance shaft. Mines an 09 and it is not affected. I totlly forgot what the cutoff, but there is a post that could be found easily seach.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
most of the 08 were not affected , it was some 06-07 for sure.