Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
e500 annual costs of maintenance and repairs....? >

e500 annual costs of maintenance and repairs....?

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

e500 annual costs of maintenance and repairs....?

 
Old 02-12-2015, 10:56 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
joekitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 cdi, maybe?
e500 annual costs of maintenance and repairs....?

I'm taking a strong look at an e500 wagon, they seem like damn nice cars
I am aware of the SBC issues and airmatic junk, I've found some bulletins on how to disable the SBC system without using STAR and plan to convert from air shocks to koni FSDs for comfy ride without body roll

But, how much does your 03-06 e500 cost you per year on average? Including expensive repairs.
Bonus points if you do everything DIY, which is what I plan to do for almost everything, even if I'm having a hard time finding diy tutorials for the e500
joekitch is offline  
Old 02-12-2015, 06:24 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Athens, GA USA
Posts: 1,018
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Lower ball joints may be a needed repair and transmission service every 40k which cost about 300.00. It is really a solid car with the exception of the SBC and shocks. You may want to keep the airmatic and use Arnott lifetime shocks.
homeofstone is offline  
Old 02-12-2015, 06:37 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
joekitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 cdi, maybe?
Originally Posted by homeofstone View Post
Lower ball joints may be a needed repair and transmission service every 40k which cost about 300.00. It is really a solid car with the exception of the SBC and shocks. You may want to keep the airmatic and use Arnott lifetime shocks.
oh yeah, i totally forgot about arnott, i'm actually watching their install video right now
looks like a somewhat difficult job, mostly because you're basically dropping the rear crossmember out of the frame. although most of the work it just getting the old air spring/reservoir out, i wonder if you could somehow chop the old air spring to get it out of there, and just leave the reservoir? the new springs dont even use the reservoir.

Last edited by joekitch; 02-12-2015 at 07:25 PM.
joekitch is offline  
Old 02-12-2015, 06:44 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Athens, GA USA
Posts: 1,018
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
I did the front on my E500. Not bad, the trick for the front is to do both sides at same time and disconnect the sway bar so the lower arms can drop way down. The original rear air shocks on my e500 are still perfect.
homeofstone is offline  
Old 02-12-2015, 07:10 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Honcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 279
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 E350 4Matic Sport | 2015 GL450 4Matic | 2016 Ghibli SQ 4 | '97 3/4 ton Dodge Ram Diesel
This site place might have some helpful data: http://www.truedelta.com/

.
Honcho is offline  
Old 02-12-2015, 09:01 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
joekitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 cdi, maybe?
Originally Posted by Honcho View Post
This site place might have some helpful data: http://www.truedelta.com/

.
already have that a look, but its somewhat hazy since the e500 and the e320 and the cdi are lumped together.
however you CAN look for submissions that are just the v8, and they seem to be pretty darn dependable since almost no engine problems arise
joekitch is offline  
Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Athens, GA USA
Posts: 1,018
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
My e500 has 140k miles on it and I did need a drive shaft center bearing and support. So when it was replaced I also had the front and rear flex disc replaced. As far as engine, transmission and rear diff. not a single problem. No problems with the electronics either.

Last edited by homeofstone; 02-12-2015 at 10:13 PM.
homeofstone is offline  
Old 02-13-2015, 07:52 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
joekitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 cdi, maybe?
Originally Posted by homeofstone View Post
My e500 has 140k miles on it and I did need a drive shaft center bearing and support. So when it was replaced I also had the front and rear flex disc replaced. As far as engine, transmission and rear diff. not a single problem. No problems with the electronics either.
how much did that center bearing support service set you back? looking at it, it actually looks somewhat easy to DIY, i'm not even sure you'd need to drop the exhaust for that, just unbolt the head shields and slide them out of the way
joekitch is offline  
Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Athens, GA USA
Posts: 1,018
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
how much did that center bearing support service set you back? looking at it, it actually looks somewhat easy to DIY, i'm not even sure you'd need to drop the exhaust for that, just unbolt the head shields and slide them out of the way
It is a DIY with the right tools. My hobby is cars so it was not a big job.The rear section of exhaust does have to be removed. New exhaust seals will be needed Use oem parts. The bearing will need to b pressed on. Took me about 3 house total. Can't remember cost.
homeofstone is offline  
Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
joekitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 cdi, maybe?
Originally Posted by homeofstone View Post
It is a DIY with the right tools. My hobby is cars so it was not a big job.The rear section of exhaust does have to be removed. New exhaust seals will be needed Use oem parts. The bearing will need to b pressed on. Took me about 3 house total. Can't remember cost.
only three hours? and that's the biggest thing you had to tackle up to 140k miles?
that's actually really darn good
joekitch is offline  
Old 02-13-2015, 10:22 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
My E500 2003 bought new sold at 125000 miles had about $20,000 in warranty work plus normal maintenance over 9 years so you can do the math.
vettdvr is offline  
Old 02-13-2015, 10:41 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
joekitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 cdi, maybe?
Originally Posted by vettdvr View Post
My E500 2003 bought new sold at 125000 miles had about $20,000 in warranty work plus normal maintenance over 9 years so you can do the math.
hmm, so $2222 a year on average
what kinds of big repairs were there during your ownership? i'm pretty warry of the 03 models, i'd probably get a late 05
joekitch is offline  
Old 02-13-2015, 01:07 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Athens, GA USA
Posts: 1,018
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
only three hours? and that's the biggest thing you had to tackle up to 140k miles?
that's actually really darn good
Not the biggest job. The front arnott air shocks took about 8 hours. Shocks were not difficult, it was just a lot to take a part and put together and triple checking everything. I have a compressor in my basement shop and air ratchets and air impact wrenches as well as battery powered wrenches and specialty tools for Mercedes and BMW so jobs go faster than using only hand tools.
homeofstone is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 04:16 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
hmm, so $2222 a year on average
what kinds of big repairs were there during your ownership? i'm pretty warry of the 03 models, i'd probably get a late 05
Heater water valve,
Ignition switch
Front airmatic
Rear airsprings
Airmatic compressor
SBC brakes
Lighter inside ash tray
Door locks
Battery control Module
Alignment needed camber bolts
Tilt steering coupling
Starter
Transmission/Engine mounts
Transmission leaking


and the list goes on, The car has been gone 3 yrs and I don't remember all of the issues, just glad someone else owns it. I had a 100,000 warranty but I also paid a lot. My $$ was if you had to pay out of pocket to understand owning a non warranty car. That was my Last Mercedes, it cured me after paying about $65000 for the car.
vettdvr is offline  
Old 02-16-2015, 12:14 AM
  #15  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
joekitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 cdi, maybe?
Originally Posted by vettdvr View Post
Heater water valve,
Ignition switch
Front airmatic
Rear airsprings
Airmatic compressor
SBC brakes
Lighter inside ash tray
Door locks
Battery control Module
Alignment needed camber bolts
Tilt steering coupling
Starter
Transmission/Engine mounts
Transmission leaking


and the list goes on, The car has been gone 3 yrs and I don't remember all of the issues, just glad someone else owns it. I had a 100,000 warranty but I also paid a lot. My $$ was if you had to pay out of pocket to understand owning a non warranty car. That was my Last Mercedes, it cured me after paying about $65000 for the car.

daaaayum
well, i'll make sure to avoid any low mileage 2003s.....or anything earlier than a 2005 for that matter
joekitch is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: e500 annual costs of maintenance and repairs....?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: