E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

722.9, a bit hard/jerky shift between 2 and 3 gear.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 03:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 E500 -04
722.9, a bit hard/jerky shift between 2 and 3 gear.

I have a 2005 E500 with the 722.9 transmission and I have started to notice a bit hard or jerky shifts between the 2 and 3 gear. All other shifts are super smooth and "glides" unnoticed through the shifts. But between 2 and 3 i can feel that it shifts harder. It's like you when you release the clutch a bit early on a manual car and you feel that the car "breaks" a short bit and you are pushed a little bit forward. I hope you understand what I mean.

The car has been driven 94 000 km. I have had it since 84 000km and I changed the transmission fluid and filter at about 85 000 km. Genuine mercedes filter and the fuchs fluid. It had the updated pan so I guess it had been changed before also. I did not have the ability to change the fluid in the torque converter, so only dropped the pan and got about 6-7 liter out I think.

It isn't something that make the driving experience bad. The only thing that bothers me is if this indicates that something is wrong and have to be fixed.

Do you have any idea if I need to do something?
The following users liked this post:
boss53177 (09-05-2021)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Try reset see here: http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/ if this fails have someone pull codes with DAS (MB diagnostic system) could be valve body or worst case mechanical cause.

Last edited by konigstiger; 03-15-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:41 AM

W211 E500 -04
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Try reset see here: http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/ if this fails have someone pull codes with DAS (MB diagnostic system) could be valve body or worst case mechanical cause.
Thanks a lot!

I did the reset, both with key in and key out as per description on the mercedesmedic site. Did not fix it unfortunatly.

I have a MaxiECU diagnostic system and have some adaptation options as per image below. Can some of those be worth trying?

Also, it did discover some fault codes:
7G tronic:
DTC
2350 intermittent fault in CAN communication with central gateway.

EWM - gear selector fault codes:

7G tronic adaptations:

Also worth noticing is that I do not know when fault codes where read last time and if they ever in the lifetime of the car has been erased.
I have also activated the dyno testmode (deactivate EPS, ABS etc) a few times to be able to have some fun in the snow here, if that could throw of some codes maybe.

Do you still think I need to get a hold of a DAS system? Only available at the dealership here what I know of.

Last edited by Faniskogen; 03-16-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
IMHO have independent, or dealer (if this is your only choice) pull fault codes using MB diagnostics.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
My suggestion is to find a shop or someone with DAS/Xentry and look at adaptation values. IF you have no cel and you've done your trans services then it may be
something internal/mechanical inside transmission going bad. Adaptation values will tell you immediately if it's something mechanical. IF values are within spec may be a soon to be faulty conductor plate or valve body.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM

W211 E500 -04
Originally Posted by konigstiger
IMHO have independent, or dealer (if this is your only choice) pull fault codes using MB diagnostics.
Thank you, I will try that.

Originally Posted by cmriv
My suggestion is to find a shop or someone with DAS/Xentry and look at adaptation values. IF you have no cel and you've done your trans services then it may be
something internal/mechanical inside transmission going bad. Adaptation values will tell you immediately if it's something mechanical. IF values are within spec may be a soon to be faulty conductor plate or valve body.
No CEL, had a faulty CPS a couple of weeks ago but that is fixed and fault codes erased.
Will try and check the codes with DAS/xentry at dealer. Thank you! I hope it doesn't turn out to be anything serious.

Bought the car with low miles in hopes there would not be any major fault developed. Serviced the trans fluid just in case even though it was previously changed. And now it may be problems with the tranny anyway
Old 05-14-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLS500 AMG package 2006, CL600 2002, SLK230 kompressor 2003 sold, E500 2004 sold, BMW 335xi M sport
Did you resolve this issue? my car has a rough shift between almost all gears I'm at 87k miles, and this started since 26k miles.
Old 07-08-2023, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz W211 E280
Hard shifting trasmision 722.9 7g

Originally Posted by Faniskogen
I have a 2005 E500 with the 722.9 transmission and I have started to notice a bit hard or jerky shifts between the 2 and 3 gear. All other shifts are super smooth and "glides" unnoticed through the shifts. But between 2 and 3 i can feel that it shifts harder. It's like you when you release the clutch a bit early on a manual car and you feel that the car "breaks" a short bit and you are pushed a little bit forward. I hope you understand what I mean.

The car has been driven 94 000 km. I have had it since 84 000km and I changed the transmission fluid and filter at about 85 000 km. Genuine mercedes filter and the fuchs fluid. It had the updated pan so I guess it had been changed before also. I did not have the ability to change the fluid in the torque converter, so only dropped the pan and got about 6-7 liter out I think.

It isn't something that make the driving experience bad. The only thing that bothers me is if this indicates that something is wrong and have to be fixed.

Do you have any idea if I need to do something?
Did you find out who was causing this problem? I have the same problem. When the oil heats up, it hits when we're in third gear. I have all the services in time.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:36 PM

Mercedes s w221 s320L 2008
Originally Posted by Geri.al
Did you find out who was causing this problem? I have the same problem. When the oil heats up, it hits when we're in third gear. I have all the services in time.
Looks that who ever sorted this problem either forgot to update here or can't be bothered or it Sold the car.
I have same issue for 4 years, I've just give up as no one can fix or can't be bothered to fix it as it can be so many issue and very expensive.... Good luck and if you sort your problem maybe you can let me know as well.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,041 Likes on 2,020 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Originally Posted by DannyUK
Looks that who ever sorted this problem either forgot to update here or can't be bothered or it sold the car.

I have same issue for 4 years, I've just give up as no one can fix or can't be bothered to fix it as it can be so many issue and very expensive....
Good luck and if you sort your problem maybe you can let me know as well.
Mate, what repair have you done so far related to that issue?

Do you have a current scan results?

Tranny shifts are affected by many combined factors that degrade normal performance. Issues are cumulative to help provide an old car feeling.
  • (ATF!)
  • Faulty CAN modules
  • Engine throttle response
  • Engine + Tranny mounts

Proper shift performance is achieved with exact stable timings. You need to work down the whole list unless something specific is badly jacked up.

A lot of engine issues get pinned on the tranny acting poorly.
No single magic trick besides clean ATF.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts
222 S-65
Clean ATF made the biggest improvement for my E55. So easy to drain the transmission at the same time as the engine.
Old 07-19-2023, 07:16 AM

This

THIS SCAN HAS BEEN DONE AFTER 100MILES TRIP, NO CLEAR FAULTS BEFORE THIS SCAN,NO ENGINE OFF I BETWEN THE TRIP AND SCAN.
PLEASE IF ANY EXPERT CA HAVE A LOOK AND GUIDE ME WHAT IS WRONG, RECENT ATF DONE, OIL CHANGE, ALL RESET FOR ENGINE AND GEARBOX ADAPTATION, I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING THAT I COULD FIND ON THE INTERNET.
​​​PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Old 07-19-2023, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,041 Likes on 2,020 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
partial scan... roadmap

I only saw about 30% of modules, correct?
We want 100% coverage to avoid the parts-canon busy work.

faulty modules from partial scan

1-- Try to get a COMPLETE SCAN so we can understand what modules have gone wild.

Learn that modules with poor marginal connections are NOT flagged as faulty... they are kept under the radar, spoiling performances and creating tons of opportunities.

2-- Get the Xentry "Topology map" of this car to highlight what modules are spaning across CANs.
I am guessing EIS will be one... Let's see!

3-- With the list from #1, highlights the map from #2.
This will give you the beginning of a custom roadmap to fix your Merc.

++++ FYI... :
Wild modules cause network floods that limit available bandwidth - That is exactly what's causing ECU/TCU latencies ie. goofy shifts, hesitations, mild 3rd gear bangs. None of this is caused by tranny!
​​​​​​
Because CAN latencies are incremental by nature, you want to get to the stage where nothing is screwing with your Chassis CAN timings.

+++++ Mechanicals...
What is the engine total mileage?
How old is engine chain tensioner?
How old is serpentine tensioner?

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-19-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:28 PM

I'll do another complete scan today, currently I'm at work as I work nights bu I'll do another scan in the morning. Thank you very much for your reply👍