E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 Black Window Trim?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 BMW 640ix GC (Ruby Black)
E550 Black Window Trim?

I will ask my salesman but just to be prepared: is there a factory option on the E-series for black window trim to replace the chrome (what in BMW-speak would be "shadowline" trim)? I know that, again, BMW has some "hidden" options but I am not aware of any for MB.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I'd be interested in seeing how that looks. Bimmers almost always look better with the shadowline trim.

You can always buy that special black tape I think they sell at Pep Boys or wherever, and tape over it. I think it's kind of a tinty-tape type of thing.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by K-A
I'd be interested in seeing how that looks. Bimmers almost always look better with the shadowline trim.

You can always buy that special black tape I think they sell at Pep Boys or wherever, and tape over it. I think it's kind of a tinty-tape type of thing.
Look, some people like chrome, but wifey really would like the black window surround. She's real nice and basically lets me buy any car I want as long as she can pick the color and, hopefully, get the blacked out trim. Thus I'd like to give her what she wants. She probably wouldn't care if I went for the E63 as long as it didn't have chrome but I don't think that's an experience I want to repeat.

I'm not sure the tape is something she (or I) would go for but it's worth a shot.

Thanks for taking the time to post that info.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:54 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Lol. Looks like you've got a good thing going then.

The tape does sound like some cheapo thing, but you never know, I'd give it a try.

What happened with your AMG BTW? Sounds like a very forgettable experience.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Yea, well, once you learn that you can't have everything and life's a matter of evaluating tradeoffs you start to make much better decisions. As I say, wifey takes in a lot of areas but gives when it comes to cars; all told, I'm quite satisfied with the overall situation. But black tape? I don't know......

As far as the AMG: it was a matter of my likes, dislikes and what I'm used to. I came out of an E39 M5 which, to me, was a classic and the best car I've ever owned. When it came time to change cars I didn't like the looks of the E60 version so thought that the MB would be a good alternative, especially with a 7-speed auto tranny to handle the 507 HP. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how much I missed the 6-speed (just me) nor that the top two gears on the MB were essentially overdrives so MB could claim better MPG figures. Cruising on the highway and trying to kick the transmission down was an exercise in futility, sort of like having a limp....well, you know what I mean. Also, FOR ME, the interior of the MB was not nearly as nice as that of the M5. It looked to me like a regular E interior with a few decals, two AMG seats and a set of monogrammed mats. The rear view mirrors didn't fold up or tilt down automatically and the homelink buttons were under the rear view mirror so you had to fold your hand around the mirror when pushing the buttons or you would mess up the mirror's position. The engine, on the other hand, was indeed a jewel. I could believe it was completely hand built. So, all in all, for me, the AMG wasn't worth nearly the gazillion $/month payment. But I can see why many others fall in love with them. It's all about trade-offs.

Someone asked me recently what the best car I ever owned was and I told him that I hope I hadn't bought it yet. As much as I loved the M5, I'd like to think I was right.

Thanks again for the info you posted.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:26 AM

W210 E55, W211 E3504M, E90 325i
Look for a local vinyl wrapping service and ask them to vinyl wrap your chrome window trim. Its a popular, durable, aesthetic-pleasing and cost effective mod with bimmer folks who don't wish to pay through the roof for euro-specific shadowline trim. You could go with gloss or matte black vinyl.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Yea, that's certainly an option. I usually don't let aftermarket people anywhere near my car (not to show disrespect to the good guys, just too many bad ones) but this probably wouldn't mess with the integrity of the vehicle. I happen to LIKE the chrome on the E because it's kind of subtle (not like the aftermarket chrome packages or Maybach/Bentley/Rolls design) but, as I say, I really don't care. I just want to do what I can to please the gal who's going to be sitting in the passenger seat.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Exclamation

Nick10010:

If you wish the real McCoy, find a plating place that does black nickel finish (US19, or US20). They can show you the samples of each nickel finish and you can choose the one you wish, bright or satin. Then you take your parts and they will finish them for you.

If you are in L.I. probably the closest thing to you would be in L.I.C. Otherwise a place which sells brass or materials to hobbyists can direct you.

As for MB interiors, you have to select options, preferably from the Elegance or Special packages. Otherwise it's plasticsville.

Hope this does you some good. JV
Old 10-27-2009, 06:55 PM

Thanks, JV. LIC is indeed not too far from me. I just need to see how to remove/install the pieces; given that, your solution would seem to be the best fit.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by nlk10010
Yea, well, once you learn that you can't have everything and life's a matter of evaluating tradeoffs you start to make much better decisions. As I say, wifey takes in a lot of areas but gives when it comes to cars; all told, I'm quite satisfied with the overall situation. But black tape? I don't know......

As far as the AMG: it was a matter of my likes, dislikes and what I'm used to. I came out of an E39 M5 which, to me, was a classic and the best car I've ever owned. When it came time to change cars I didn't like the looks of the E60 version so thought that the MB would be a good alternative, especially with a 7-speed auto tranny to handle the 507 HP. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how much I missed the 6-speed (just me) nor that the top two gears on the MB were essentially overdrives so MB could claim better MPG figures. Cruising on the highway and trying to kick the transmission down was an exercise in futility, sort of like having a limp....well, you know what I mean. Also, FOR ME, the interior of the MB was not nearly as nice as that of the M5. It looked to me like a regular E interior with a few decals, two AMG seats and a set of monogrammed mats. The rear view mirrors didn't fold up or tilt down automatically and the homelink buttons were under the rear view mirror so you had to fold your hand around the mirror when pushing the buttons or you would mess up the mirror's position. The engine, on the other hand, was indeed a jewel. I could believe it was completely hand built. So, all in all, for me, the AMG wasn't worth nearly the gazillion $/month payment. But I can see why many others fall in love with them. It's all about trade-offs.

Someone asked me recently what the best car I ever owned was and I told him that I hope I hadn't bought it yet. As much as I loved the M5, I'd like to think I was right.

Thanks again for the info you posted.
No prob and thanks . Yeah seems the E63 just wasn't a car suited for you and what you want out of a car.

I agree, the E39 M5 is a great enough car to already be pushing into classic-ism. I've thought about buying one as a fun car to have, but the reliability reports and costs to operate seem potentially high. There's a guy around where I live who has an impeccable black one, you can tell the pride in ownership he has in this car, it always makes me swoon.

From what I understand it looks like the next (F10) 5-Series is kind of harkening the spirit and timeless-approach of the E39, clean design, great proportions, etc. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I agree with you about the E60, not a fan here.