E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Rear seat entertainment for W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 Sedan; Sold 2000 S500
Rear seat entertainment for W212

Has anyone gotten a Rear seat entertainment package for the W212 (MB or aftermarket)? My local custom installer has a lot of concerns trying to run a cable into the seat by cutting the ring around where the metal headrest supports come out of the seat back (he is aware of the dynamic headrests and doesn't want to really touch them). He is suggesting I get the MB option in order to have a nice looking solution.

I have a question on the MB package after reading the manual on it. I see where I can send the DVD in the back seat player to one screen and a DVD in the Comand to the other screen. If I am doing this can I have the speakers in the car play a different source (such as the ipod)? That way my 2 kids could each watch a different DVD with their wireless headsets in the back and the parents can listen music.

Thanks for any help! I debated about putting this in the Audio and Electronics forum but thought it was more specific to the W212 group.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:56 AM

I just talked to the dealership and they said the Rear-seat Entertainment System is not available for the W212 w/ the Drive Dynamic Driver's seat.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Philco - that is not correct. The dealer may be misinformed or confused about how to order this feature. RSE for 212 was delayed for the US so perhaps they are not familiar with it.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 PM

As for your question, yes, this can be done. The only restriction is the music source for the speakers in the car has to be something other than a CD/DVD as this (in your example) is being used for the RSE. Therefore, the radio or an ipod would be fine to use as the audio source.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Thanks silberrosa! The dealership said they needed my VIN in order to determine if it was available for my car and then she read the screen to me where it said RES wasn't an option when you had the Dynamic driver's seat. I hope you are correct. I'd love to know when they are planning on releasing it in the US.

I went back to my local custom installer and this time they had someone else take a look at the seats and he said it was no problem (he had just done the same thing for a 2009 S600). They would take off the plastic cover that goes up the middle of the back seats and mount the display's support to brackets inside the seat and have the supports and the wires come up out of the top of the plastic cover. They would then custom form the box around the display and cover it in matching leather. They haven't given me a quote yet...so we'll see if it is a viable option for me. They also said they would get an interface from NavTV so the Comand system could see this 3rd party unit as a standard RES. They were calling NavTV to confirm.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 PM

If you are looking for a retrofit solution, I am not sure if the factory one will work without a lot of extra effort ($$$). If this is the case, aftermarket is probably best. The RSE system for the 212 has been released, it costs $1.880 as a factory option. As mentioned, it was delayed. However, it is absolutely orderable with the drive-dynamic seat. However, I am not sure if it is retro-fittable to an existing car. Dealer would know best on that one. Good Luck
Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by Philco
Thanks silberrosa! The dealership said they needed my VIN in order to determine if it was available for my car and then she read the screen to me where it said RES wasn't an option when you had the Dynamic driver's seat. I hope you are correct. I'd love to know when they are planning on releasing it in the US.

I went back to my local custom installer and this time they had someone else take a look at the seats and he said it was no problem (he had just done the same thing for a 2009 S600). They would take off the plastic cover that goes up the middle of the back seats and mount the display's support to brackets inside the seat and have the supports and the wires come up out of the top of the plastic cover. They would then custom form the box around the display and cover it in matching leather. They haven't given me a quote yet...so we'll see if it is a viable option for me. They also said they would get an interface from NavTV so the Comand system could see this 3rd party unit as a standard RES. They were calling NavTV to confirm.
Yes you can get an interface module that allows the RES features to be enabled on your comand and used with an aftermarket headrest system. You will be able to send DVD video from the front to the rear headrests while listening to an alternate source and also send the audiofrom the rear DVD through the vehicle speakers and finally the interface will unlock DVD in motion.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 752 Likes on 733 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
contact MBeznNL and order OEM RES parts...
Old 11-20-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks everyone! My installer contacted the folks at Mid City Engineering and have come up w/ a solution. I'll post pictures in a couple weeks when it is done.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E350, 2010 GMC 2500HD
TTT, any updates on how this install went?