E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Mod continues... what do you guys think?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-class
Man, I wish you guys had stayed on the original topic and commented only on the tinting questions I asked; but no, because you feel the three letters "AMG" are too sacred...

Mercedes-AMG website does go into details and describe what makes an AMG Mercedes. But if you had read carefully, nowhere in that website says "AMG" badge alone means it's an AMG vehicle. In fact, to properly identify a true AMG Mercedes, you will need to see ALL of the followings: 1. An AMG badge in the rear, 2. The numbering scheme - using 2-digit designation for the model, 3. The more prominent side skirt (which actually isn't exclusive on AMG vehicles, but on non-AMG with AMG sport package too; on E63 and E with AMG package, they look different, but on GL63 and GL550 with AMG package, they share the same AMG body kit) and 4. Double exhaust tailpipes... and the engine hood yada yada there are some others you can read on your own.

Now you get it? ALL OF THE ABOVE need to be in a package to make a true AMG vehicle (exterior-wise at least). One AMG badge doesn't do it, nor does it represent what engine the vehicle has under the hood.

Had I put "E63" and "6.3" designations on my vehicle, you would have a case here (it's still none of your business really as people are free to whatever they want with their cars. you can make your 2 cents comment and MOVE ON), BUT I DIDN'T, OKAY? So you have no case here whatsoever. What are you gonna do if your kids are putting Mickey Mouse stickers on their Power Ranger backpacks or lunch boxes? Or G-d fobids, Mickey Mouse stickers on your car! Wow, I can't imagine how offensive that would be to you, or to Disney, or to Mickey! Really?!

I can understand your passions, and perhaps you have an AMG shrine in your living room for all I care. I'm actually a fan of the Mercedes AMG Petronas team myself, and have watched 4 races this year in person. So, spare me the history of Mercedes or AMG or how they got married and started making whatever cars they have now. I'm not unfamiliar with all those stories. I am fortunate enough that I get to travel often and I usually go see things that interest me whenever I have time. Here are some photos of the legendary W196 that I took at Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari in Modena (during my visit to Modena/Maranello earlier this year). What a surprise to see an amazing Mercedes classic in a Ferrari museum, huh? Reading stories over the internet is one thing, seeing with your eyes is another. Not necessarily one is better than the other, but the experience sure is priceless.

I modded my E200 because there was a lot I could play with, and I can mess it up and don't give a crap... as comfortable as popping open the back of a Panerai myself, though never on a Patek.

Enough is enough. You made your comments. I respectfully disagree. Now please just MOVE ON.

Attached Thumbnails Mod continues... what do you guys think?!-dsc_2894.jpg   Mod continues... what do you guys think?!-dsc_2953.jpg  

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-18-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 PM

E-class
I took this photo in Athens this past May.
I'm not saying anything, just sharing a cool photo.

Attached Thumbnails Mod continues... what do you guys think?!-dsc_1956.jpg  
Old 12-17-2013, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar S-Type R, Smart Passion, CLS 320 CDI
For another world view perspective:-
Firstly, feel bad for you OP regarding having to defend on a wholly unrelated topic even though I own a debadged from factory cls with AMG everything from factory except seats and engine. Car has a load of options/ paddle shift/ airmatic/ dynamic seats /w massage/ linguatronic / designo black leather and piano black interior/ etc.... Cracked 3 of 4 amg wheels on these ****ty UK roads & Know that cars in general are very expensive in South East Asia having lived and still owning cars in Malaysia and Singapore. In the UK when I bought my car the CLS AMG 55 was actually cheaper ... To be fair they are a real masterpiece but AMG ownership isnt the be all and end all anymore. Just ask finnsih guys who race their mercs all the time ( no garage queens there). Then there are nice brabus and carlsson offerings also. FYI my mate bought an f10 when it came out all black with m sport package and had m badging everywhere factory fresh. Dealer display model 520d.

For me AMG is meaningless unless on a car like c63 or sls... or even earlier dtm type cars. I totally get watch collection, cars however are disposable. There are plenty of ways to get a real motoring fix and one of them is behind a wheel on a track which I do on travels to Malaysia. Incidentally, afaik ALL f1 teams with the exception of Ferarri are based in the UK with engines built and tuned here - NOT germany which I have travelled to on several occasions with friends to take delivery of cars.

this debate will be academic in years to come if the manufacturer decides on a path which leads to dilution of the marque in order to shift more cars. Production numbers being what they are, there is no real exclusivity anymore (hence black series). Why is AMG version not the pinnacle in the first place? This is why in the UK new AMGs have relatively poor resale (running costs and insurance are factors for sure) and the true collectors go for a gullwing sl or even a pagoda top (year on year price increases). There was a low mileage brabus rocket I saw recently for £75k which is cheap compared to sales price. Meanwhile in Malaysia, similar money asked for 2011 e250 CGI coupe (-and we are almost in 2014 - go figure).

That said it is a lovely thing, AMG ownership but I just feel that anyone is entitled to do anything with their own vehicle that they own outright. Where I live in London, mercs audis, bimmers and porkers are rather commonplace (AMG or not) and few cars will turn heads let alone discreet badging. Just last week saw 2 aventedors racing up the road so badging nothing to get precious about. Several gallardos etc not garaged, just left by the road.

Apologies to go off topic but in my defence that horse has already bolted. Please continue to post your mods which I shall follow with interest.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE 450
OP: I am more interested in your mods rather than this AMG badging issue. Please post more pics. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 AM

E-class
Originally Posted by jvdas
For another world view perspective:-
Firstly, feel bad for you OP regarding having to defend on a wholly unrelated topic...
...Apologies to go off topic but in my defence that horse has already bolted. Please continue to post your mods which I shall follow with interest.
I will take more photos of my mods when the weather permits.
Thanks!

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-17-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 AM

E-class
Originally Posted by jdhoang
OP: I am more interested in your mods rather than this AMG badging issue. Please post more pics. Thanks.
Will do!

In the mean time, I've uploaded a 458 Italia album if you would be interested in checking out:

https://mbworld.org/forums/members/l...75-albums.html

didn't feel right sharing Ferrari photos in a Mercedes forum... but what the hey...

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-18-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 AM

Jaguar S-Type R, Smart Passion, CLS 320 CDI
Originally Posted by leapingpoint
Will do!

In the mean time, I've uploaded a 458 Italia album if you would be interested in checking out: https://mbworld.org/forums/members/l...75-albums.html

didn't feel right sharing Ferrari photos in a Mercedes forum... but what the hey...

absolutely stunning! now THIS I can get excited about. Am fortunate enough that most amgs etc are within reach.... so no penile compensatory envy there.. BUUUUT this one is just tantalizingly just out of reach for me ATM. Happy motoring!

looking forward to your mods as previous poster said.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:35 PM

E-class
had great weather over the weekend.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 AM

2021 GLE 450
Very nice! Love the wheels! Can I ask what kind of tint did you get?
Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...ml#post5871007

you're official now
Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 AM

2021 GLE 450
Wow - OP must have really pissed you off! As I have AMG wheels on my 14 E550 4M, am I a poser too?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:07 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Wow - OP must have really pissed you off! As I have AMG wheels on my 14 E550 4M, am I a poser too?
no you're not, and no, OP did not **** me off......
my 550 came with AMG wheels too, but I didn't make my car look like an AMG either with bumpers, exhaust tips, flat badges etc.........

get it?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:20 AM

2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by instantfob
That must be the KOMPRESSOR version

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 AM

2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
You can buy fake Rolex's and Prada pocketbooks, why not fake cars? If your car doesn't have a hand built and signed motor, it isn't worthy of the badging and no way did it come that way to the dealer.. without question an aftermarket addition. Posing. Plus if you don't want to hear criticism, don't post "what do you think" when showing your mods. I don't like the immature banter on this forum at times but I have to agree with Hyperion...

The guy at Home Depot said my new Snow Blower is an AMG and it has P1 and Lane tracking package
Old 12-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
Mansion

Check out my mansion!
Got some Roman columns on order that are going to trick this baby out! And, maybe add a sign that says...."Mansion".
Attached Thumbnails Mod continues... what do you guys think?!-tinyhouse.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 07:45 PM

E-class
weird, Hyperion apologized to me in PM but still decided to start fights out in the open again.

So the 2 cents comments continue.

E class is slow, even if you have E350 or E550.

If you want speed, you can get an exotic; or better yet, get a few, like I did.

Happy holidays~

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-24-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lexus gx470
You have exotic cars?! And you couldn't spring for the e63?! What kind of "exotics" we talkin' about?
I think Hyperion is the FAKE person here; he apologized to me in PM but still decided to start fights out in the open again.

So the 2 cents comments continue.

E class is slow, even if you have E350 or E550.

If you want speed, you can get an exotic; or better yet, get a few, like I did.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:45 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by hyperion667
no you're not, and no, OP did not **** me off......
my 550 came with AMG wheels too, but I didn't make my car look like an AMG either with bumpers, exhaust tips, flat badges etc.........

get it?

wow, so whoever has a modded bumper, exhaust tips, or flat badge that says AMG is also a poser????
that would be... like... hundreds of members here in the forum. you sure you want to go down that road?

you made your points, and you were shot down by some other members here too. so we agree to disagree.
i'm not interested in your wife, so what's with this hatred?

i guess people are not allowed to mod their cars with any aftermarket parts, and can only mod their cars with cheap wrapping and tape and painting wheels, like you have been doing?

seems like you're the one who doesn't get it, or for whatever reasons you cannot read either as these have been explained all in this thread already. AMG badge doesn't mean the engine, but because you had owned 1 or 2 AMG cars, you think you can speak on this issue as if you have the authority, and decide what's right and what's not.

being a 2-face XX won't get you very far in life. but given that i'm in the holiday mood, it's okay, i'll just let it go.

you're welcome

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-24-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by chrisvr6
You have exotic cars?! And you couldn't spring for the e63?! What kind of "exotics" we talkin' about?

perhaps you should read through the entire thread before commenting.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-24-2013 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
wow, seems like you're the one who doesn't get it, or for whatever reasons you cannot read either as these have been explained all in this thread already. AMG badge doesn't mean the engine, but because you had owned 1 or 2 AMG cars, you think you can speak on this issue as if you have the authority, and decide what's right and what's not.

you have picked on the other guy who has posted photos of his E350 with E63 badge before, why don't you go back to that thread and have a party?
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-complete.html

Hyperion, you're such a 2-face ****; you apologized to me via PM and for whatever reasons decided to start fights again? you're very much like some of the chinese vendors/buyers that I deal with on a daily basis here. but given that I'm in the holiday spirit, I forgive you.

For most people the AMG badge at the back of the car here in the USA and rest of the western world means the very powerful engine and NOT the other car design features. The very original meaning of the badge was to identify the engine the car has and very soon also the suspension. All the other body parts for the AMG looks came later.

I would also like to know why you spend time modding an E200 when you obviously could just have bought a real AMG vehicle...?
Old 12-23-2013, 08:57 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by michael10128
You can buy fake Rolex's and Prada pocketbooks, why not fake cars? If your car doesn't have a hand built and signed motor, it isn't worthy of the badging and no way did it come that way to the dealer.. without question an aftermarket addition. Posing. Plus if you don't want to hear criticism, don't post "what do you think" when showing your mods. I don't like the immature banter on this forum at times but I have to agree with Hyperion...

The guy at Home Depot said my new Snow Blower is an AMG and it has P1 and Lane tracking package

haha, your comment is not even worth 2 cents.

you can start the bidding at 1 cent and try your luck.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:17 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by Arrie
For most people the AMG badge at the back of the car here in the USA and rest of the western world means the very powerful engine and NOT the other car design features. The very original meaning of the badge was to identify the engine the car has and very soon also the suspension. All the other body parts for the AMG looks came later.

I would also like to know why you spend time modding an E200 when you obviously could just have bought a real AMG vehicle...?
hey, i followed your advice and went to the mercedes-amg website, but nowhere in that website says what you're saying. so i'm not convinced.

i keep 3 cars in the mainland china, and i spend about 4-5 months out of a year here (but in several different cities). W212 E63 is not sold here unfortunately, my only other option was to go for a C63 (which is too small and not great looking IMO). but the truth is, i bought this car on the spur of the moment. it was on display and the sales girl was hot. so i swiped my card after chatting with her for an hour or two, then the next thing i knew, i drove the car off the lot (but later that night picked her up and had a nice dinner date, and yada yada yada). back to E class, it just rides smoothly and quietly and it's comfortable. i like fast cars and fast girls, and the E class is definitely not a fast car, but i did get a fast girl out of it. so what's to complain?

if you had noticed my signature, you would see this is the 3rd E-class i've bought over the years. personally i think E class is the best mercedes; it's so versatile (and reliable) that you can use it for any occasions. AND it's the ONLY mercedes i would buy now (well, the new S is really nice so who knows, i might get a S63 next year. yeah, i'm almost certain i can afford one. i just need to think where i should get it and keep it first.

i spend time and money on this E200 because it's fun. i guess you can ask the same question to any of the modders here in the forum and get the same answer.

it's not really about affordability. but for some people who assume it is, perhaps to him/her it is.

this dude in the forum (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-complete.html) has a modded E350 (even with an E63 badge), and he drives a bentley too. i'm not justifying what he's doing because obviously i would never go as far as putting an E63 badge on my E200. but hey, it's his car, he gets to do what he wants. if that bugs any AMG owners out there, all i can say is that these AMG owners are just way too insecure about themselves... who gives a flying FK what others do to their cars?

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-24-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:30 PM

E-class
Very nice! Love the wheels! Can I ask what kind of tint did you get?
thanks! tint is 3M.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:07 PM

BMW 5er
looks good, i wouldn't do it - but it doesn't matter to anyone except internet forum people. i've actually seen this go the other way - someone buying an AMG E63, for example, and then putting an E250 badge on it. i think that dude had an M3 that he put a 328i badge on just to play around with haters.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:08 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by E Classy
looks good, i wouldn't do it - but it doesn't matter to anyone except internet forum people. i've actually seen this go the other way - someone buying an AMG E63, for example, and then putting an E250 badge on it. i think that dude had an M3 that he put a 328i badge on just to play around with haters.

thanks. but i would expect those earlier comments from a lesser forum, not a mercedes forum.
guess i was wrong.

changing E63 to E250 would be "posing" too, so whoever does that is also a poser; it doesn't matter if he's posing "up" or "down," posing is posing. right? (like i give a F really, pls).

wait, by the same standard, people who have removed the emblems and model designation are posers too (?).

such a stupid topic to go on. but people are soooooo into it.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-24-2013 at 03:46 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mod continues... what do you guys think?!